• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car Rattles

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does anyone else’s car have a few interior rattles? Either you never were able to figure out where the sound was coming from, or it seems to stop when someone else gets in the car with you, or it doesn’t really bother you much so you just live with it? Just curious if this happens to others here as well.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is one reason why I started buying new vehicles or why I dynamat the crap out of older vehicles.
Can't stand rattles.

Find them and use foam pads to get rid of the rattles.

DoomGyver

My parents had a malibu where the electronics gave off a high pitched whine.. I was the only one who could hear it. Fuck that car.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This shit is probably worn out:

5915bd3fdd64c_xl.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This. Just had mine replaced on the rear end of my car this past month. Car was drivable and such but drove me nuts how it shook and rattled over even a minor bump like a ship from Star Trek going Warp 9 or whatever.

Seems minor but it can develop into a bigger issue if left unchecked.
I had issues to find it, because we call it here "silentblok" and well to my suprise this is not the English name : D Bushing seems... I would expected something else by that name : D

Erdrick

On a tangential note, I noticed my rear passenger turn signal bulb died tonight, so off to buy a new one and replace it myself. I love YouTube for stuff like this. Bulb costs $6.49 here. Compare that to the $80 that it'd cost me at a garage or dealer. I'm no mechanic but I'm certainly capable of minor fixes such as this. Gonna go first thing in the morning and snag one.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My Focus had annoying rattles when playing music, never narrowed down where it was coming from.
What's the point of 'premium' sound systems if the cars interior starts rattling and buzzing if you turn the volume up to a decent level.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my car sounds like what you'd hear after putting a brick in a washine machine.
  • one door is so rusty is squeeks like fuck when you open it...that's if you can open it at all. the handle is busted.
  • there is a piece of metal around my exhaust broken off so that makes a shit load of noise.
  • a piece of plastic on my dashboard is broken so at a certain speed it will constantly vibrate
  • something to do with the gears/transmission is off so moving off in 1st gear makes a lot of grinding noises.
  • driver side rear wheel likes rattling a lot for some reason.
  • steering wheel makes a clicking noise as you turn it.
that's all i can think of at the moment there's probably more noise than that. the car is 14 years old now and i fucking hate driving in it. i refuse to spend any more money than i need to on it. i'll just pay enough to keep it legally driveable until it breaks down then that's it i'll be fucking walking. no more cars for me.

Turn the radio up!
assuming my radio decides it wants to turn on...i'll only get sound from the left speakers so that's distracting and annoying.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

I can remember my 1988 Citroen AX the first car I ever owned the thing would rattle and squeak all the time. The suspension was that stiff it would shake the interior trim pieces until they fell off, whine down the window and the lack of padding in the door meant that the window would rattle inside the door and then inconsistent idle (manual choke) would only add to the miseries.

you have me sympathies OP

GamingKaiju

I can remember my 1988 Citroen AX the first car I ever owned the thing would rattle and squeak all the time. The suspension was that stiff it would shake the interior trim pieces until they fell off, whine down the window and the lack of padding in the door meant that the window would rattle inside the door and then inconsistent idle (manual choke) would only add to the miseries.

you have me sympathies OP

Top Bottom