• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carol Danvers Will Have a New Origin for the Captain Marvel Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Carol Danvers Will Have a New Origin for the Captain Marvel Movie

Carol Danvers has a long and peculiar history as first Ms. Marvel, and later Captain Marvel—one that’s strange even by comic book standards. So it should be no surprise that for her upcoming movie, the hero will be given a new and updated origin.

Speaking to the Any Time with Vin Forte podcast, Captain Marvel screenwriter Nicole Perlaman confirmed that Carol will have a new origin for her Marvel Cinematic Universe debut, citing a similarity to the origin of Green Lantern as to why the change is occurring:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a project where I’ve been more mindful about the impact that it could have and the importance of it. She’s such an incredibly kick-ass character and Kelly Sue DeConnick did a great run with her story arc recently. But here’s the thing, if you were just going to do a straight adaptation of the comics, her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern. And obviously, that’s not what we want to do. There’s a lot of reinvention that needs to happen.

And also, she’s her own person and she’s a great character. We have to be aware of what’s happened in other Marvel film and makes sure that her particular storyline is unique and fun and also fits in within this world that’s going on at the same time. It’s a little bit of an interesting story gauntlet. It’s been good to have a partner. It’s been an incredible experience. If we can pull it off it could be an incredibly important but also really fun and kick-ass superhero film.

In the comics, Carol was introduced as the love interest of the then-actual Captain Marvel, a Kree warrior in disguise on Earth called Mar-Vell. After being caught in the explosive blast of a Kree superweapon called the Psyche-Magnetron, Carol’s DNA was merged with Mar-Vell’s, granting her his powers. Originally she would black out and the Kree DNA would take over her body, turning her into Ms. Marvel, but later on she was just naturally superpowered.

larson8f-5-web.jpg

I fucking knew it. I expect a completely new character. They are tanking her in the comics and there's a reason. They want another Iron Man + RDJ situation where they can just copy/paste the new interpretation of the character onto the old one. Because...

And also, she’s her own person and she’s a great character.

...this just isn't true.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully its something inventive and not the usual comic book schlock. For the MCU, that kind of thing isn't going to fly

Jezan

I hope this is good.

Btw why do many people dislike/hate Carol?

Also Sana Takeda should have been the permanent artist of Carol comics

Kelsdesu

She wasn't that interesting from the start. I would rather them do something different. Besides we all know who would have been a better pic for Captain Marvel.

Dai101

Banned
I hope this is good.

Btw why do many people dislike/ate Carol?

All i know about her is per Slayven and all i can take is that she's barely a character.

Garlador

I hope this is good.

I don't know. I always liked her, largely because she has been through some SERIOUSLY rough patches by even the craziest superhero standards and I've always rooted for her to pick herself up and get better and stronger from it.

She's not my favorite heroine, but I think she's just fine, especially if you factor in all the ridiculously awful things she's endured.

I hope this is good.

She's just boring. She's a military lady whose first plan of action is always to punch the thing really hard. Due to this, she works well as a member of superteams but has always struggled with solo stories.

Dalek

I don't know. I always liked her, largely because she has been through some SERIOUSLY rough patches by even the craziest superhero standards and I've always rooted for her to pick herself up and get better and stronger from it.

She's not my favorite heroine, but I think she's just fine, especially if you factor in all the ridiculously awful things she's endured.

Maybe in the sequel she will give birth to her own rapist.

I was wondering about this. I thought it might not go over well that her origin is "she got her powers by being the real Captain Marvel's girlfriend".

And also, she’s her own person and she’s a great character.
Lol
I fucking knew it. I expect a completely new character. They are tanking her in the comics and there's a reason. They want another Iron Man + RDJ situation where they can just copy/paste the new interpretation of the character onto the old one. Because...

...this just isn't true.
Yup. Movie version will probably be so much better.
Hopefully. Most overrated character in Marvel history.
"FUCK MAR-VELL."
- David Ayer

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just cut out the part about Mar-Vell. She finds some Kree tech, shit goes wrong, she has powers. Done.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No. That honor belongs to Sentry.

Nobody overrates Sentry. Does anyone even like Sentry? Sentry's the most artificially forced Marvel character. People have an affection for Mar-Vell in and out of universe that just confounds me. Character was a giant zero and to this day I can only shake my head in wonder who thought the Death of Captain Marvel story was anything but overwrought schmaltz.

"FUCK MAR-VELL."
- David Ayer

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

I hope this is good.

Btw why do many people dislike/hate Carol?

She's never been interesting and she gets pushed way harder than other female characters. Her greatest accomplishment is somehow influencing a much more interesting character and handing her old mantle down to her.

People say they're going to create a brand new character with this movie because the one that exists is so boring. Instead of pushing a character that is already interesting.
No. That honor belongs to Sentry.
You can't be over rated if no one gives a shit about you in the first place.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Man I really admire the dedication some actors put into their roles. Extreme physical changes to their bodies, shadowing people to replicate mannerisms and so forth. But man, this is a new level of torture for an actor, having to read through that tripe. Yikes.

I can see them going with something akin to the EMH cartoon. Danvers uncovers Mar-vell in disguise, things happen, Danvers is caught in alien explosion, wakes up with super powers.

Nobody overrates Sentry. Does anyone even like Sentry? Sentry's the most artificially forced Marvel character. People have an affection for Mar-Vell in and out of universe that just confounds me. Character was a giant zero and to this day I can only shake my head in wonder who thought the Death of Captain Marvel story was anything but overwrought schmaltz.

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

Pretty sure Gwenpool takes that spot now.

Skab

I can see them going with something akin to the EMH cartoon. Danvers uncovers Mar-vell in disguise, things happen, Danvers is caught in alien explosion, wakes up with super powers.

Didn't they say she would kind of be the link between earth mcu and cosmic mcu at one point?

Volimar

I'd be okay with that as long as Mar-Vell fucks off for the entire movie except maybe for a pep talk at the end. I thought EMH Ms. Marvel was a pretty good fit.

I'm fine with this. Her origin wasn't something anyone needs to be precious about. Tony being wrecked by his own weapons on foreign soil, Cap being a weakling made ubermensch, Thor's rise from unworthiness, Bucky's brainwashing...

Give her something iconic.

yep, knew they were to going rebuild her from the ground up.

Still hoping Moonstone knocks her out 5 minutes into the movie and its about her masquarading as Captain Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom