• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carol Danvers Will Have a New Origin for the Captain Marvel Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kree

Banned
Monica Rambeau

qfxawjsdwg20rhp1oqdi.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So she'll come in contact with the device during an Air Force mission and just gain powers from that. It'll be like Green Lantern, kinda.

kirblar

The character needs an Iron Man-esque kick in the pants, good to hear they're willing to change things up.
I actually like Captain Marvel, but I have always been puzzled as to why Marvel is hellbent on pushing her.
One of the only high profile non-Mutant women they have where you could put her into that role believably.

Fury451

Banned
So basically "She's not gonna be a drunk and we don't wanna do the whole "Mar-vell" thing".

Basically. Which I kind of get because they haven't stack the deck for the cosmic universe at this point, but I'm kind of bummed out that Marvel keeps erasing any non-kid friendly flaws that these characters have.

I actually like Captain Marvel, but I have always been puzzled as to why Marvel is hellbent on pushing her.

Who else do they have, really? Yeah they should make a Black Widow solo movie, I hope they do. Can Scarlet Witch carry a movie? Probably not, not this version. Spider-Woman = brand confusion. They aren't in a position to launch JaneThor. Or Kamala Khan.

Monica is more deserving, but they don't have the balls to make a movie lead by a black woman. Not yet.

Garlador

Who else do they have, really? Yeah they should make a Black Widow solo movie, I hope they do. Can Scarlet Witch carry a movie? Probably not, not this version. Spider-Woman = brand confusion. They aren't in a position to launch JaneThor.

Monica is more deserving, but they don't have the balls to make a movie lead by a black woman. Not yet.

Honestly, I'm shocked we haven't gotten a She-Hulk appearance yet.

Ally McBeal with superpowers. Instant green gold.

Garlador

I don't think they have the rights to do a She-Hulk solo movie. I think Paramount would have to be involved and that won't fly with Disney.

Not even a solo movie. Just have her show up in an Avengers movie. Be the "awesome lawyer" who somehow keeps them out of jail every time a building collapses because Tony Stark went on a bender the night before.

Just seems like a waste of a great, naturally comedic yet career-driven and competent female heroine.

Monica is so pointless they haven't even bothered to kill her off yet. Her best appearance is in a joke book. She will never appear in any marvel live action media (she'll probably be in agents of shield).

All trolling aside i liked the issues where her and Carol teamed up on a boat.

I should note my comments on She-Hulk are pure speculation.

I don't see any reason to involve Mar-Vell at all. I don't think she will be Mar-Vell and I don't think they'll even reference him. Throw Mar-Vell in there and it's already convoluted as fuck, and hard to escape the comparison to Green Lantern which they just said they want to distance this from.

I fucking knew it. I expect a completely new character. They are tanking her in the comics and there's a reason. They want another Iron Man + RDJ situation where they can just copy/paste the new interpretation of the character onto the old one. Because...

...this just isn't true.

Uhh the origin in the first Iron Man was pretty similar to the comic book one. I think what they are talking about here is different.

kswiston

I fucking knew it. I expect a completely new character. They are tanking her in the comics and there's a reason. They want another Iron Man + RDJ situation where they can just copy/paste the new interpretation of the character onto the old one. Because...

...this just isn't true.

Iron Man was pretty clearly the ultimate version's personality on 616 Iron Man's origin as seen through the lens of RDJ. This sounds like they are just going to scrap old Carol like they did with Starlord.

Uhh the origin in the first Iron Man was pretty similar to the comic book one. I think what they are talking about here is different.

Yes and no. You're right in that they are specifically discussing the origin here and they clearly want a different take, whereas Iron Man's origin was faithful to the comics in every important way. But a lot of people have been saying for awhile now that they are going to use this movie to completely reinvent the character (which RDJ and Favreau most definitely did in Iron Man, to great success on screen and in the comics), and this seems to me like the first indication that they are moving in that direction.

I would also say the direction they are taking her in the comics is another clue that this is their strategy for the character. She's (CWII spoilers)
practically a villain now...much like Iron Man just before that movie came out.
They are even using the same event framework. Is that a coincidence? I doubt it.

Iron Man was pretty clearly the ultimate version's personality on 616 Iron Man's origin as seen through the lens of RDJ. This sounds like they are just going to scrap old Carol like they did with Starlord.

I'd argue there are echos of Ultimate Iron Man in there, but I'd give Favreau and RDJ most of the credit for creating such a successful version of the character...so successful, in fact, that 616 Iron Man basically became RDJ's version. I expect the same thing for Captain Marvel, that's where I see a parallel.

Good point on Starlord, another successful reinvention (though not so successfully translated to comics in that case)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They didn't say Ant-Man and Spider-Man would have movies in Phase 3 initially. Everything is subject to change.

i guess, but i just don't see them but:

I don't see any reason to involve Mar-Vell at all. I don't think she will be Mar-Vell and I don't think they'll even reference him.

yeah. i don't think her powers will be a gift from a male character and i don't think they'll 'steal' the origin of a male character.

MartyStu

Because they don't have Storm or Sue Richards.

White blondes make scrilla and piss off Slayven

Who else do they have, really? Yeah they should make a Black Widow solo movie, I hope they do. Can Scarlet Witch carry a movie? Probably not, not this version. Spider-Woman = brand confusion. They aren't in a position to launch JaneThor. Or Kamala Khan.

I mean in general--comics included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom