• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carol Danvers Will Have a New Origin for the Captain Marvel Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

Also it has to be repeated - it doesn't really matter how good or bad you think the comic books are. The Marvel movies have shown they have little bearing on the approach the filmmakers take. Captain Marvel Carol is attractive for MCU because she's a very powerful hero with a "major" hero look. That type of female character is something the MCU lacks and an obvious candidate for a female hero-centered movie. There's no better candidate, in fact. The quality of that movie, and of that character in the MCU following the movie, will entirely be up to the scriptwriters craft.

AxelFoley

her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern

Huh? Not really.

Whatever. Marvel has been trying hard to make Carol an A-lister. Now that she'll be in the movies, it'll probably finally happen.

Now it will be getting hit by a chair.

szKnzdf.jpg

34a.gif

Dang0

So glad. Carol in CWII is insufferable.

I welcome the comics to get rid of her and replace her with the movie version.

To be fair, Bendis has always been shit at writing Carol. His Mighty Avengers run with her as 'leader' is really bad.

I quite like Carol's books, her current run is quite good, but I feel her best run was her last Ms Marvel run, where she was more human, and she messed up a bunch but always pushed herself to be better.

Are...are they going to ignore Mar-Vell?
Probably or give him a mentor/assist type role like Hank Pym/Jarvis
Just cut out the part about Mar-Vell. She finds some Kree tech, shit goes wrong, she has powers. Done.
I feel you kinda need someone to at least explain some of the weird space stuff if she is going to be human.
I don't think you can trow Carol into all this weird cosmic stuff without someone at least explaining a little bit of it.

If they're going to do that, they first need to address the fact that they've been portraying Tony Stark as a high-functioning alcoholic for eight years.

Any person with Tony's drinking habits would be in a deep, dark hole after the events of Civil War. Now is the perfect time, really.
Civil war Spoilers:
Tony was back to his jokey self again by the end of the movie though.
He basically told Ross to piss off and seemed to accept Steve's apology
Also the Tony in the early comics really wasn't all that different from MCU Tony.
They just updated the setting and later when the movie was successful they changed his personality on his MCU self (Which was basically just Tony from the early comics in a more modern setting)

I feel you kinda need someone to at least explain some of the weird space stuff if she is going to be human.
I don't think you can trow Carol into all this weird cosmic stuff without someone at least explaining a little bit of it.

Again, that's why having her in GotG Vol 2 seemed to make sense to me - they've already established the Kree and the Nova Corps. For the sake of getting her there, how about she's an astronaut who goes through a wormhole and ends up bumping into Starlord & co, then gets her powers from some dealing or other with the Kree?

(I've never read a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel comic so have no idea if this would be in-keeping with her).

Iorv3th

Again, that's why having her in GotG Vol 2 seemed to make sense to me - they've already established the Kree and the Nova Corps. For the sake of getting her there, how about she's an astronaut who goes through a wormhole and ends up bumping into Starlord & co, then gets her powers from some dealing or other with the Kree?

(I've never read a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel comic so have no idea if this would be in-keeping with her).

Haven't read any of her origin stuff but introducing her in GotG could work. She's in a lot of the GotG comics, the entire black vortex storyline.

Slayven

Who are the ones besides Monica?
Phya the daughter of the original Captain Marvel, moonstone aka Bizzaro Ms.Marvel, Superima aka Bizzaro Ms. Marvel 2, and Ultra Girl former Kree Super soldier experiment
Who the fuck is 3D-Man and why am I only hearing about this marvelous thing now?

His original name was Triahtlion(cause he could do everything Captain America could but times 3) but he inherited the mantle of The 3-D man and joined the new Skrull Kill Krew

I think that would be a mistake.
GotG Vol 2 already seems pretty crowded. I don't think it is a good idea to introduce even more characters and subplots into that movie.
Then you run into the trouble of people that haven't seen GotG Vol 2 and being confused watching her solo film.
I think they can rework Mar-Vell and just give him a Alfred/Jarvis type of role where he gives Carol Intel about all the cosmic stuff.
Carol would still be out there kicking ass but you would have a character back on earth who she could talk to about all the cosmic stuff.
You can also kill him of in the third act (if necessary) after he gives her the basic information about her powers and some of the Kree stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
they confirmed they're handling her intro like T'Challa & Parker's, right?

both GotG vol 2 & Thor Ragnarok seem like good options for her

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I'm a card carrying member of the Carol Corps

I LOVE her book. The last few years. And she has a lot of great points, I love her friendship with Jessica, her alcoholism (a more realistic grounded take than Tonys), her struggles, but she has a LOT of dumb shit in her history (that stupid pregnancy) and she works better free of the trapping of Mar-Vell.

Plus a lot of her history is tied with the X-Men which can't be used. So I am all for reinterpreting her.

El Topo

they confirmed they're handling her intro like T'Challa & Parker's, right?

both GotG vol 2 & Thor Ragnarok seem like good options for her

I don't think much is confirmed, although her appearance in Infinity War has been strongly hinted at.
Given what we know (Casting/Movie News Spoilers)
we can rule out an appearance in GotG Vol. 2 and I strongly doubt there is enough space left in Thor Ragnarok to give her a sizeable introduction.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Not really sure if worthy of new thread but apparently we're down to three directors. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/captain-marvel-director-search-narrowed-922476

Niki Caro, Lesli Linka Glatter and Lorene Scafaria are on the shortlist for the highly-coveted job of helming Marvel Studio's first female-centric superhero movie, several sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

A decision won't be made anytime soon as Marvel is being very deliberate in its search, according to sources; the movie has a release date of March 8, 2019.

Sources caution that there may be names yet to surface. Marvel had no comment.

Ogodei

Monica Rambeau

Was my thought after reading the OP. You've already got a Captain Marvel who was her own thing with her own origin and was black in the 70s without being all tokenist about it (unlike, say, Falcon).

Danvers always seemed an odd choice to make into the face of a women-empowerment heroine for Marvel, aside from the character's name, not when you've got She-Hulk, the increasingly badass Scarlet Witch, or Sue Storm right there.

The real victim of whatever happens with this movie, sinking the real origin of the name Captain Marvel further into oblivion in the public's mind...

It's okay, at least he has Shazam to fall back on, even if that's not really his name.

You know who I feel sorry for? Wonder Man. Never gonna happen for him.

I guess I should let it go. At least Wonder Woman, unlike so many female characters, isn't a lame spin-off of a male predecessor.

Slayven

It's okay, at least he has Shazam to fall back on, even if that's not really his name.

You know who I feel sorry for? Wonder Man. Never gonna happen for him.

I guess I should let it go. At least Wonder Woman, unlike so many female characters, isn't a lame spin-off of a male predecessor.

Spoiler

Wonderman is in
the new Guardians movie, well his civilian ID is

tomtom94

I would be happy with any of those three, personally. I hope Kent hasn't been taken off the shortlist though, very much enjoyed Babadook and would be interested to see what she would bring.

EDIT: I wonder if Caro and Kent's link to the role suggests they might be planning on filming this in Australia like Ragnarok?

Her entire history reads like every once in a while they decided to just throw the dumbest shit imaginable at her.

I don't know, her falling in love with the rapist that she gave birth to and leaving to live with him happily ever after to has to be pretty high up there as well, just for how unbelievably insulting it is.

Well, you have to include that he mind controlled her and that he told the Avengers that he did it and they just accepted it, because holy shit comics are terrible most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom