• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carol Danvers Will Have a New Origin for the Captain Marvel Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Do you got the panel for this?

ugh, it's a thing

I wish we didn't have to go into it every time there was a Carol Danvers thread, but the sad state of things is that it's her most well-known story, because she was just an also-ran character for most of her existence.

So, without Mar-Vell the chance for one of Marvel's few lesbian superheroes(they still own the movie rights to)to show up just shrunk.

Knew Feige's "We might have a LGBT hero in a decade" statement meant Phyla and Moondragon wouldn't show up in gotg 3/4.

Sandfox

I hope this is good.

Btw why do many people dislike/hate Carol?

Also Sana Takeda should have been the permanent artist of Carol comics

Carol hasn't really had any defining stories and the ones she did are being ignored like the birth thing for obvious reasons or her alcoholism.

I want Star-Lord to wear that uniform.
In the comics at least Star-Lord is getting a new costume that's a combination of that and the current one.

The worst part was how the other Avengers reacted to all of that.
Chris Claremont pretty much screamed at the writers and editors+Marvel in a X-Men issue later when he grabbed Carol for the X-Men as a supporting character. He was also the only reason Carol later found out her best friend/ex was dead after Mar-Vell died since the rest of Marvel forgot she existed and didn't have her show up.

Does someone want to post the "Iron Man sees Carol drinking on the job" and "Drunk Carol smashes the mansion and almost kills Iron Man" pages?

ugh, it's a thing

I wish we didn't have to go into it every time there was a Carol Danvers thread, but the sad state of things is that it's her most well-known story, because she was just an also-ran character for most of her existence.

Her most well-known story is where she gets bodied by Rogue. Greatest comic achievement, too.

I've only read one ms marvel comic.

The one where she flying a plane and accidentally goes back in time when it stalls.

It wasn't that bad.

Good her origin is a jumbled mess at this point and was never interesting in the first place. Just have her meet a Kree named Mar-vell and take it from there.

You go right ahead. I want to see this.

QxdvKRr.jpg
DbhtnxO.jpg

neoanarch

The greatest thing Carol has ever done is be in a coma and have her powers stolen by Rogue. Damn wish Marvel had X-Men just for that. A Rogue solo movie by Marvel would be aces.

El Topo

She's one of the few Avengers that actually was "fired" from the Avengers.

Her entire history reads like every once in a while they decided to just throw the dumbest shit imaginable at her.

The worst part was how the other Avengers reacted to all of that.

I don't know, her falling in love with the rapist that she gave birth to and leaving to live with him happily ever after to has to be pretty high up there as well, just for how unbelievably insulting it is.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Captain Marvel is a nothing character and this drive to make her happen is perplexing

Marvel pushing a white, blonde, super-strong female Avenger whose rights aren't tied up with the X-Men / Fantastic Four in 2016 is "perplexing"?

Sandfox

I actually want Marvel to bring her alcoholism and getting fired back so she can use those experiences in her ongoing.

I actually want Marvel to bring her alcoholism and getting fired back so she can use those experiences in her ongoing.

If they're going to do that, they first need to address the fact that they've been portraying Tony Stark as a high-functioning alcoholic for eight years.

Any person with Tony's drinking habits would be in a deep, dark hole after the events of Civil War. Now is the perfect time, really.

jon bones

Right. They had to start somewhere. She seems like a safe bet imo, all things considered.

edited my post to make it an even bigger no-brainer

you can pull a slayven all day and call her boring, but she is the perfect pick for a diverse MCU reboot.

Captain Marvel is a nothing character and this drive to make her happen is perplexing

Have you not realized how little that matters? The Guardians were reworked for film and look how popular they are now?

Carol is the character that Marvel has failed to reboot countless times at this point. Putting a filmmaker's perspective on the character is the next logical step.

Sandfox

If they're going to do that, they first need to address the fact that they've been portraying Tony Stark as a high-functioning alcoholic for eight years.

Any person with Tony's drinking habits would be in a deep, dark hole after the events of Civil War. Now is the perfect time, really.
I can't remember, but I think Tony was sober up until he was inverted at least.

I can't remember, but I think Tony was sober up until he was inverted.

Oh I thought we were talking about the MCU characters, not 616. My bad.

I was just saying they can't do the alcoholism story with Carol in the movies while Tony gets away with whatever for a decade

Didn't Rogue steal her powers and personality then her became binary.

First she turned into a kree warrior a bit like how Rick Jones turned into Mar-vell.
Then she just go superpowered with a 6th sense. Then she became an Avenger reservist and quickly got raped into retirement. Then Rogue stole her powers when she was in hiding and she became an X-Men support character who eventually turned into Binary. Then she rejoins the Avengers as Warbird, but is forced to resign because she's an alcoholic. That pretty much covers her first 40 years.

jon bones

First she turned into a kree warrior a bit like how Rick Jones turned into Mar-vell.
Then she just go superpowered with a 6th sense. Then she became an Avenger reservist and quickly got raped into retirement. Then Rogue stole her powers when she was in hiding and she became an X-Men support character who eventually turned into Binary. Then she rejoins the Avengers as Warbird, but is forced to resign because she's an alcoholic. That pretty much covers her first 40 years.

yeah let's just throw this whole thing out the window. kill her character off after Civil War II and pull a new one from a Secret Wars reality schism. she'll look and act exactly like Brie Larson's Carol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom