• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carol Danvers Will Have a New Origin for the Captain Marvel Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

For those that do like/enjoy Capt. Marvel? Why is that? Is there one particular quality? Also, what kind of power set can we expect?

yeah let's just throw this whole thing out the window. kill her character off after Civil War II and pull a new one from a Secret Wars reality schism. she'll look and act exactly like Brie Larson's Carol.

She is featured in the Shattered Now promo art.

This movie doesn't come out for two and a half years, if they're going to do something like that it won't be for awhile yet. With Tony, they literally erased and rebooted his brain

Slayven

Come on bro.

This could do her JUSTICE.
Sorry, i can't but help to think of this series when i see that word
green-arrow-kills-prometheus-2.jpg

Reading about Captain Marvel on GAF is weird. People act like she's widely hated, but everything I hear about her outside is widely positive. Hell, the fact I've even heard of her is something given my apathy towards comic books.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*Reads first page, sees Sentry shit posting

That first Sentry mini was amazing you fuckers :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think I must be one of the few that like Captain Marvel.

I remember thinking that little series she had after Civil War where they gave her a team and a mini-helicarrier wasn't terrible, but other than that, eh.

I don't DISlike the character, but there's... just nothing.

Like, there aren't really any great Carol Danvers stories out there like you see with these other characters.

I'm not disappointed when she shows up or anything, and her power set is nice. (I like the energy absorption/redirection addition to the standard flight/super strength stuff.)

I remember thinking that little series she had after Civil War where they gave her a team and a mini-helicarrier wasn't terrible, but other than that, eh.

I don't DISlike the character, but there's... just nothing.

Like, there aren't really any great Carol Danvers stories out there like you see with these other characters.

I feel the same way about Wonder Woman, except she's been around longer.

She's never had a definitive run. Which is weird to me.

Idk I think Carol would work better if they did Mar-Vell first then passed the torch as a kind of trial run on torch passing in the MCU. But I can see why they didn't go that route, it's a sausage fest as is.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I fucking knew it. I expect a completely new character. They are tanking her in the comics and there's a reason. They want another Iron Man + RDJ situation where they can just copy/paste the new interpretation of the character onto the old one. Because...

...this just isn't true.

That actually makes a lot of sense......

MartyStu

I think same reason why DC hellbent on pushing Cyborg? Diversity.

I like Carol Danvers though.

Ugh do not remind me. Cyborg is another character that whose push is completely unwarranted.

At least Marvel eventually managed to make Carol interesting. Cyborg is still sort of a wreck.

Htown

I feel the same way about Wonder Woman, except she's been around longer.

She's never had a definitive run. Which is weird to me.
I don't think I'd agree with that. For Wonder Woman you can definitely point to the Hiketeia, and the Perez and Rucka runs at the very least. For Carol there's just... nothing. The story that you think about most for Carol is the one everybody is ashamed of.

Htown

Ugh do not remind me. Cyborg is another character that whose push is completely unwarranted.

At least Marvel eventually managed to make Carol interesting. Cyborg is still sort of a wreck.

So Cyborg kind of made sense back before the reboot, when there was a ton of Titans history to draw from. Back when Batman was pushing for him to be on the League and such. (Remember that issue where Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were trying to put the League back together and figure out a roster?) It was like, "he's done good work, let's bring him up."

But as a core member of the League as it just starts out? No.

Slayven

I don't think I'd agree with that. For Wonder Woman you can definitely point to the Hiketeia, and the Perez and Rucka runs at the very least. For Carol there's just... nothing. The story that you think about most for Carol is the one everybody is ashamed of.
Carol's best moment was being a powerup for Rogue

Mulgrok

I like Danvers because she is an "everyperson" type character. All the avengers are special snowflakes. There needs to be a foul mouthed, beer swilling (doubt they will have her be an alcoholic, but that would work too), blue collar hero in there.

Protome

It makes sense. It'd be really dumb to introduce and kill off Mar-Vell for an origin story.

Also I quite like Carol Danvers and the only interesting thing Mar-Vell ever did was die of cancer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It makes sense. It'd be really dumb to introduce and kill off Mar-Vell for an origin story.

Also I quite like Carol Danvers and the only interesting thing Mar-Vell ever did was die of cancer.

and make genis and phyla

If it were me I would'be pushed She-Hulk, though she did get an ongoing and her own team in recent years.

Even ignoring the Hulk movie rights thing (because She-Hulk in inexorably tied to the the Hulk in her origin), she's actually a hero that makes just as much, if not more sense, storywise, as a series rather than a movie. The biggest reason she doesn't work as a TV show right now is that the budget to Ruffalo her would be more than a TV show could handle.

I hope this is good.

Btw why do many people dislike/hate Carol?

Also Sana Takeda should have been the permanent artist of Carol comics

God this is what its like to see your own posts huh... I agree though, literally this person has the same opinion as me lol.

Carol is a drunk, too. Not like Tony, who's a high functioning alcoholic, Carol is a straight up drunk.

And that'll be totally and utterly ignored for this, which is a shame because it's the only part of her character that actually kinda makes her relatable past the 4000000 other supes who can fly and punch stuff real good.

Peru

She's a great character with some fairly mundane stories. They should keep her traits - temperamental, brute force idealist, drinker - and not care much about specifics of the stories she's been in. I do really like her pilot background, though.

She's a great character with some fairly mundane stories. They should keep her traits - temperamental, brute force idealist, drinker - and not care much about specifics of the stories she's been in. I do really like her pilot background, though.

But what makes her a great character? What is her distinction that makes her one from the 9 billion other characters with her power set and lack of definitive runs?

She's painfully generic and has never been popular (I don't think she's ever cracked a top-20 before) and yet she keeps getting pushed. Now she's getting pushed into the MCU.

black070

Where are people getting that the entire character will be reinvented ? She'll still based on the Carol Danvers from the comics.

Protome

Where are people getting that the entire character will be reinvented ? She'll still based on the Carol Danvers from the comics.

I think people are jumping to conclusions that if they are changing one thing they are changing it all and then rolling it back into the comics like with Tony Stark.

Really it's just super simple. Mar-Vell isn't a character in the cinematic universe. He was integral to Danvers' origin story. It'd be nuts to introduce him just to give her powers.

Peru

But what makes her a great character? What is her distinction that makes her one from the 9 billion other characters with her power set and lack of definitive runs?

She's painfully generic and has never been popular (I don't think she's ever cracked a top-20 before) and yet she keeps getting pushed. Now she's getting pushed into the MCU.

Well she's obviously built up a very loyal core fanbase, even if the series have never taken off. There's obviously something there. Again I think they haven't really packaged her adventures right. de Connick got the character right but never came up with / was allowed to write the right stories, have her fight interesting villains, etc.

I don't think she's generic. I alluded to the qualities of her character portrayal above. The political idealist who's naive about how much her powers can do on their own (ie she has lofty ideas about a good society, a set of political values, but thinks she can simply force political change on her own) is unique. There's potential to further explore the politics of the universe there. Her drunkard behaviour mixed with her warm homebody-ish relationship with her neighbours also stands out among heroes of her power.

I've said it before, but they should make her story a redemption/rise story.

Starts out with her as an ace Air Force pilot, but a hot mess in her personal life. Drinking too much, life in shambles, and erratic. Somewhat damaged. Gets a talk from Rhodey or somebody on responsibility and heroism at her worst moment. Comes into contact with Kree tech or something, gets transported from earth into the cosmos. Gains her powers and rebuilds herself mentally and emotionally. Comes back and stomps the big bad into the ground. You can change that order up a bit, maybe she gets the powers first, goes nuts and uncontrolled with them, and begins to zen out and take control of her powers and life bit-by-bit.

But she's the perfect character to link Earth (connections to Rhodey, Cap, and Tony, all involved in military and with each other and shit), and the Cosmos (comes across the Guardians or Thor or somebody.)

It'd make for a compelling and more commercially palatable film as its about someone becoming better, Rocky-esque become the best version of yourself, become a winner schtick, go-the-mile.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I've said it before, but they should make her story a redemption/rise story.

Starts out with her as an ace Air Force pilot, but a hot mess in her personal life. Drinking too much, life in shambles, and erratic. Somewhat damaged. Gets a talk from Rhodey or somebody on responsibility and heroism at her worst moment. Comes into contact with Kree tech or something, gets transported from earth into the cosmos. Gains her powers and rebuilds herself mentally and emotionally. Comes back and stomps the big bad into the ground. You can change that order up a bit, maybe she gets the powers first, goes nuts and uncontrolled with them, and begins to zen out and take control of her powers and life bit-by-bit.

But she's the perfect character to link Earth (connections to Rhodey, Cap, and Tony, all involved in military and with each other and shit), and the Cosmos (comes across the Guardians or Thor or somebody.)

It'd make for a compelling and more commercially palatable film as its about someone becoming better, Rocky-esque become the best version of yourself, become a winner schtick, go-the-mile.
Sounds like the Green Lantern movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom