• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

Ahasverus

Everything here sounds quite plausible except for the Vita version of LoS2. It's not impossible or anything, but multiplatform console/Vita titles have proven so rare that I'd think Mirror of Fate Vita/3DS would be more likely.
Me too, especially considering PS3/Vita, ehm, "Transfarring"?

AniHawk

It's the same feeling we old school fans felt when our beloved series became a Super Metroid clone with androgenous pretty boys as protagonists with a "delicate" aura.
Sorry, in our time, Castlevania just KICKED ASS.

yeah i never got the pre-sotn castlevania stuff.

TreIII

It's the same feeling we old school fans felt when our beloved series became a Super Metroid clone with androgenous pretty boys as protagonists with a "delicate" aura. Sorry, in our time, Castlevania just KICKED ASS.

THANK YOU. THIS. SO VERY, VERY MUCH.

Smellycat

I have been waiting for so long to hear about new Castlevania games!! I am excited about the Wii U news, and I have been expecting a 3DS game for a while now. I just hope that both games live up to the high standards that the series is known for.

Apparently rumors have it that the 3DS game is 2.5D and that it stars Trevor Belmont. It also has metroidvania features, and you will play in a castle and surrounding areas.

Foffy

Banned
I have been waiting for so long to hear about new Castlevania games!! I am excited about the Wii U news, and I have been expecting a 3DS game for a while now. I just hope that both games live up to the high standards that the series is known for.

Apparently rumors have it that the 3DS game is 2.5D and that it stars Trevor Belmont. It also has metroidvania features, and you will play in a castle and surrounding areas.

Rumors claim co-op and Alucard as the other playable character now, actually. The characters came from a different source than the co-op claim did, though..

Mechazawa

All these reactions to Iga being taken off CV are hilarious. Finally you guys understand how I felt when Iga took over the CV franchise to begin with. :D

You know, I was waiting for someone to come in here and care about someone who worked on Castlevania other than Igarashi.

Like, where's all the outpoor of concern for the people responsible for spearheading this series prior to Symphony of the Night?

It's the same feeling we old school fans felt when our beloved series became a Super Metroid clone with androgenous pretty boys as protagonists with a "delicate" aura.

As someone who played the series since it's creation, considers CV4 to be one of the greatest games ever made and is a bonafide "old-school fan", I'll take the "pretty boys" over Conan Belmont and purple Dracula any day of the week. Get outta here with the broad assumption.

Foffy

Banned
As someone who played the series since it's creation, considers CV4 to be one of the greatest games ever made and is a bonafide "old-school fan", I'll take the "pretty boys" over Conan Belmont and purple Dracula any day of the week. Get outta here with the broad assumption.

Aren't Conan Belmont and purple Dracula the same character, though? ;3

@MUWANdo

Banned
You know, I was waiting for someone to come in here and care about someone who worked on Castlevania other than Igarashi.

Like, where's all the outpoor of concern for the people responsible for spearheading this series prior to Symphony of the Night?

Do you think many people would be able to identify the driving force behind those games, or even recognise their name? Igarashi's the de facto face of CV and has been for a long time, of course people are gonna focus on him.

KevinCow

Banned
I am.

At least SotN and its kind were good Super Metroid clones, whereas LoS was a bad God of War clone.

If LoS had been a good God of War clone, I wouldn't have any complaints about it. But it wasn't. It was bad and clunky and the only reason I forced myself to play as far as I did was because the production values were pretty nice.

Ahasverus

At least SotN and its kind were good Super Metroid clones, whereas LoS was a bad God of War clone.
No it wasn't. To be honest, other than the "orbs" and the beasts mounts (But then.. what about that other action game whose name escapes me right now thatwas released in 2001 that as the inspiration (see: complete base) of GOW?) I don't see similarities between them

Smellycat

Rumors claim co-op and Alucard as the other playable character now, actually. The characters came from a different source than the co-op claim did, though..

Yeah, I actually read that too, I don't know why I didn't include it in my post. I am a little skeptical about these details though.

If this is a new canon why are they including all these characters from the old canon? Leave them be and create brand new characters.

If they are going to use Alucard, Trevor, etc.. then create a game in the old canon, don't just shoehorn them into this canon in order to increase the sales. (assuming that these rumors are true)

I am still bitter that we will never get that 1999 battle game. :(

At least SotN and its kind were good Super Metroid clones

No, they were good for what they actually were - loot-whoring action-RPGs with some very crude platforming elements that only superficially aped the basic exploration-based structure of Super Metroid. But calling them "good Super Metroid clones" is an insult to what made the best Metroid games good, i.e. level design. (This is also why I really don't care for the "Metroidvania" portmanteau, in case you can't tell.)

The last Castlevania I played to completion was the launch one for the GBA.

Tried to play the ones on the PS2... but honestly... and then rented LoS and got motion sickness.

So I'm not exactly the most devoted follower of the series, but I'm kind of interested in seeing what Mercury Steam does with real limitations. They made the PS3/360 smoke. What are they going to do with a 3DS/Vita?

Foffy

Banned
Yeah, I actually read that too, I don't know why I didn't include it in my post. I am a little skeptical about these details though.

If this is a new canon why are they including all these characters from the old canon? Leave them be and create brand new characters.

If they are going to use Alucard, Trevor, etc.. then create a game in the old canon, don't just shoehorn them into this canon in order to increase the sales.

I want that 1999 battle game. :(

They dropped hints at Lament of Innocence, and Gabriel was originally supposed to be Simon. Sure, they want to keep some connections to the old game considering they changed who the goddamn villain of it all is.

If they are going to use Alucard, Trevor, etc.. then create a game in the old canon, don't just shoehorn them into this canon in order to increase the sales.

I am still bitter that we will never get that 1999 battle game. :(

Yeah...I really, really don't want to see what the writers of LoS do with the classic CV characters. Getting bad flashbacks of the Resident Evil movies just thinking about it.

Just make new characters if it's a reboot/new canon.

TreIII

If they are going to use Alucard, Trevor, etc.. then create a game in the old canon, don't just shoehorn them into this canon in order to increase the sales. (assuming that these rumors are true)

One could argue that IGA's games did the same thing with the original series. He freely used characters from games he didn't make, as well, and made them fit into "his" timeline.

KevinCow

Banned
No it wasn't. To be honest, other than the "orbs" and the beasts mounts (But then.. what about that other action game whose name escapes me right now thatwas released in 2001 that as the inspiration (see: complete base) of GOW?) I don't see similarities between them

Wait, wait.

Just to clarify what you're trying to say here, because you worded it very poorly.

Are you trying to argue that LoS isn't a blatant God of War clone? Or that it just isn't a poor one?

Because both those opinions would be wrong, but if you're unable to see the similarities between LoS and GoW, then that is way more wrong.

One could argue that IGA's games did the same thing with the original series. He freely used characters from games he didn't make, as well.

One could also argue that he did it well enough for no one to worry about it as in the years he's been doing the CV games, I've never seen a single complaint about character portrayal other than Simon's outfit which isn't really the character, it's his clothing.

Yeah, but his games were a continuation of that canon. He didn't restart it.

Also, that.

Foffy

Banned
One could argue that IGA's games did the same thing with the original series. He freely used characters from games he didn't make, as well.

But many were not used in ways that anyone could argue as strange. Maybe the Genya Arikado thing at best, but the rest were kept simple and attempted to match the tropes from their other games. I worry Mercury Steam will fuck this up, because they have royally fucked up the Belmont vs Dracula concept with Lords of Shadow, and that's a goddamn simple premise.

Ahasverus

This was Alucard pre-IGA
1315381-dra026.jpg

This Post IGA
alucard1.jpg

This was Simon Belmont
Truesimon.JPG

Then IGA made him this
simonbcy.jpg

You get the idea.

TreIII

...he also freely retconned games out of "his" continuity that he think didn't "fit". All for the sake of a "100 year rule" that even he didn't stick by after a while! 8D

Foffy

Banned
...he also freely retconned games out of "his" continuity that he think didn't "fit". All for the sake of a "100 year rule" that even he didn't stick by after a while! 8D

He later elaborated on every title he did that with, except Legends. He cited Legends as an awful game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I worry Mercury Steam will fuck this up, because they have royally fucked up the Belmont vs Dracula concept with Lords of Shadow, and that's a goddamn simple premise.

i mean, the premise is essentially that Main Character [sic] is a warrior who is in a great battle, and in the midst of the battle he is facing defeat he calls out to the great lord dracula for strength, and lord dracula bestows upon him the whip he wields, a whip bound to his hand. but then dracula tricks Main Character into accidentally killing his own wife and child. and then Main Character kills dracula to become the dracula on a throne.

i mean, the premise is essentially that Main Character [sic] is a warrior who is in a great battle, and in the midst of the battle he is facing defeat he calls out to the great lord dracula for strength, and lord dracula bestows upon him the whip he wields, a whip bound to his hand. but then dracula tricks Main Character into accidentally killing his own wife and child. and then Main Character kills dracula to become the dracula on a throne.

Castlevania: Ascension?

Ahasverus

Is this for real? Have zero sense.

Foffy

Banned
Apparently, according to a post on the Castlevania Dungeon, someone who has been dropping leaks about the game, presumably the one dropping character names, has more details to share. Take these with cautious care, gentlemen.

He says that the press has already had their hands on it but are under NDA till E3. There is a whole castle to explore but the areas are level based like the old games but backtracking and exploration for new powerups is always available.

IGA changed basic characteristics of old characters as he pleased.

Didn't know IGA did the character designs instead of Ayami Kojima.

Pretty sure they need to go back to the best Simon Belmont

N10.jpg

The 3DS game sounds dope but I hope it's not a case of "you need to play this companion game to understand what's going on." Lord of Shadows didn't interest me.

Instro

Apparently, according to a post on the Castlevania Dungeon, someone who has been dropping leaks about the game, presumably the one dropping character names, has more details to share. Take these with cautious care, gentlemen.

How can it be level based but also allow backtracking and exploration...? Confusing, perhaps its like OOE.

So Lords of Shadow is the new canon and not some what-if side story?

If so, what a ridiculously stupid move. Screw that "wahhh Iga gave us pretty boys" rubbish when this is the real travesty.

MercurySteam's now apparently official "reboot" just made Simon Belmont, the guy you're so mad about "being made to look androgynous", the most iconic character in the series, NOT EXIST ANYMORE. That's far worse if you ask me.

Ahasverus

How can it be level based but also allow backtracking and exploration...? Confusing.
Order of Ecclessia ;)

@Beezelbozo: Care to explain? please? What you posted has a source of some sorts? or just a random thought?
MercurySteam's now apparently official "reboot" just made Simon Belmont, the guy you're so mad about "being made to look androgynous", the most iconic character in the series, NOT EXIST ANYMORE. That's far worse if you ask me.
He's the rumored protagonist of the Console sequel.

Also, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2bb2OfdbY

Foffy

Banned
IGA ordered every change, to be according to his vision of "A handsome warrior fighting enemies with beauty" (Actual quote)

Would you like to cite where this came from? This sounds more like a quote for Harmony of Dissonance, as the marketing behind that game was aimed at a more feminine approach, which explains the furniture, the very girly appearance of Juste, and I believe there was some marketing with the musician Mana, who dresses up as a...very feminine person.

He was a viking badass in the original game and then a bishonen with a black BOA around his neck on IGA's canon. That's not the same character either.

Art style does not change the character's storyline. Reboots do. Saturday morning cartoon Soma in Dawn of Sorrow was the same as gothic fine art Kojima drawn Soma in Aria. Dudebro Dante in DmC remake is NOT awesome white haired Dante, story is completely changed. Just because you don't like the art change doesn't mean it's a different person, that's still the same Simon that whooped Drac's ass, got cursed and had to cure himself in CV2, and so on.

I seriously think this all stems from you being salty at Kojima's artwork at this point, because otherwise you'd get that.

Foffy

Banned
Art style does not change the character's storyline. Reboots do. Saturday morning cartoon Soma in Dawn of Sorrow was the same as gothic fine art Kojima drawn Soma in Aria. Dudebro Dante in DmC remake is NOT awesome white haired Dante, story is completely changed.

I seriously think this all stems from you being salty at Kojima's artwork at this point, because otherwise you'd get that.

He doesn't like IGA either, so maybe he just greatly prefers this new direction.

Ahasverus

Hell no, I love Kojima's art, I just get mad when people say IGA didn't changed anything and respected the original series, because he changed a lot of things and made CV almost unrecognizable to old fans. Not saying that it was good or bad (Hint: It was good, sometimes) but it happened.

IGA made three great games (Aria, Symphony and Ecclesia) and no one argues that, he also made some really BAD games, brought lazyness to the series (recycling 12 years old sprites anyone?) and also changed the canon as he pleased. And don't get me started on those filler games.

This new direction is exciting and actually faithful to the source material, IMO.

Top Bottom