• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

Johnas

Is there any evidence that these Rebirth games might/will get sequels, on WiiWare or elsewhere?

I just wondered if Konami had planned on only one new iteration per franchise and leaving it at that, or if there was any potential for more.

I pretty much like the look of CV in the scan.

jiji said:
Yeah, Belmont's Revenge (Dracula Densetsu II) had sub-weapons, so this is probably a sequel to that game (disregarding Legends). Maybe that weapon is the holy water?

Possibly.

I hope this is actually a remake of the original game and not a sequel in the same spirit. I want a real remake of Belmont's Revenge, mainly because the soundtrack is incredible and could benefit from new arrangements.

Night_Trekker said:
Possibly.

I hope this is actually a remake of the original game and not a sequel in the same spirit. I want a real remake of Belmont's Revenge, mainly because the soundtrack is incredible and could benefit from new arrangements.
The scan states that it'll include arranged music from other games in the series, so hopefully they'll focus on stuff from the first two GB games.

jiji said:
The scan states that it'll include arranged music from other games in the series, so hopefully they'll focus on stuff from the first two GB games.

Ah, well that's kinda disappointing. But it sounds like you're right: this is a remake in the same vein as the GB games and maybe not a direct remake of any of them.

I'd better hear Ripe Seeds, Praying Hands, and/or Original Sin at some point. That's all I'm saying.

I wonder what Hidehiro Funauchi is up to these days... from what I can tell, the last game he helped compose was Policenauts.

ReyVGM

Don't the Rebirth games have like 5 or 6 levels? And if they adhere to the number of levels CVA had (4), then I don't think there's going to be enough levels to fit the entire CVA soundtrack AND the best tracks from CV2BR.

Unless they put more levels or alternate music on the same levels.

And Castlevania Legends does have just DECENT good track: the one from stage 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxwJ3MHnHNs

ReyVGM said:
Don't the Rebirth games have like 5 or 6 levels? And if they adhere to the number of levels CVA had (4), then I don't think there's going to be enough levels to fit the entire CVA soundtrack AND the best tracks from CV2BR.

Unless they put more levels or alternate music on the same levels.

And Castlevania Legends does have just DECENT good track: the one from stage 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxwJ3MHnHNs

I don't understand why they have to include other games' music if it's a full-fledged remake of Castlevania Adventure. Especially when the original game had rockin' tunes.

CamHostage

Oh no, I think you guys are over-representing this game as "SNES-quality" from the scans, this is far inferior to Castlevania IV in style from what I can see. Granted, CV4 had that crazy big sprite that was kind of a pixellated mess/masterpiece, but these new CV Wiiware screens make the game look like any given Japanese "let's temp the engine and make a bid for that Naruto job" project. Weak and inexpressive sprites abound, and I'm not sure it comes across with that pixel-art look to it that the Rebirth games tend to have (hard to tell with scans) or if it's modern but the character sprite in the most clear shot available doesn't really speak to the best of either technique. It doesn't really look retro and it doesn't really look amazing for our times, it just looks like it gets the job done and that's it.

The sprite and effects work in Contra Rebirth were equally lame and yet that one got decent reviews, so I'm not condemning this game, I just would not get your hopes up.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
The main character in the scans looks almost exactly like the John Morris character from Castlevania Bloodlines.

Blue jeans, brown leather boots and the reddish brown sleeveless vest.

Could just be a coincidence.

Ranger X

Oh sweet, just saw the scans and I feel right at home!

It's remake of the gameboy game I never played on top of it so this is a day one for me.

DeBurgo

Tain said:
Haven't played Contra yet, but Gradius on Normal is way easier than the other Gradius games on Normal. I could mess with difficulty levels, but I'm sure it's just the typical loop bump where enemies shoot more bullets and nothing else. Obviously makes it harder, but way less cool than the game naturally being designed at a given difficulty in the first place.
Which Gradius games are you comparing it to? All of them? It's definitely harder than the well-known Gradius III SNES port, at least. I'd also argue it's comparable to difficulty to Gradius Gaiden and Gradius II while using autofire, and possibly even the original, but all that might be a bit of a stretch.

Obviously it's easier than Gradius V. And it's not hard to be easier than Gradius III Arcade or Gradius IV.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Remake of the GB game? YES

One can only hope Nintendo does the same with Metroid 2.

JaseMath

Looks a whole lot better than I expected. I'm glad they're keeping the rolling eyeballs in there, too. Day 1 (depending if 4.3 is out by then...)! :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The GB CVs had some of the finest music in the franchise's history.
I'm looking forward to this remake if for no other reason than to hear the new tunes.

Classic gameplay is also nice, assuming they touch it up a bit here and there.

ace harding: private eye said:
Not necessarily. Metroid Zero Mission was terrible. Seeing old games re-worked to appeal to no-attention-span young people is sometimes heartbreaking.

The original game was a bit of a mess though you have to admit.

bumpkin

Not necessarily. Metroid Zero Mission was terrible. Seeing old games re-worked to appeal to no-attention-span young people is sometimes heartbreaking.
I liked everything about Zero Mission except the BS at the end
where Samus was without the armor... I wanted a nice escape and then fade to the credits. Not some bullshit where I'm super vulnerable to enemy attacks and having to re-tread caves I already cleared.
Otherwise I thought it was a brilliant remake.

Teknoman

CamHostage said:
Oh no, I think you guys are over-representing this game as "SNES-quality" from the scans, this is far inferior to Castlevania IV in style from what I can see. Granted, CV4 had that crazy big sprite that was kind of a pixellated mess/masterpiece, but these new CV Wiiware screens make the game look like any given Japanese "let's temp the engine and make a bid for that Naruto job" project. Weak and inexpressive sprites abound, and I'm not sure it comes across with that pixel-art look to it that the Rebirth games tend to have (hard to tell with scans) or if it's modern but the character sprite in the most clear shot available doesn't really speak to the best of either technique. It doesn't really look retro and it doesn't really look amazing for our times, it just looks like it gets the job done and that's it.

The sprite and effects work in Contra Rebirth were equally lame and yet that one got decent reviews, so I'm not condemning this game, I just would not get your hopes up.

Eh the gameplay situations in Contra Rebirth were cool though. And that UFO boss looked nice, along with the crazy mecha camels and space worm.

Remaking one of the worst Classic/Actionvanias? Hmmm...it had better be a pretty substantial remake with only a passing resemblance to the terribly disappointing GB game. A big part of the reason that game was so bad was the shitty technical performance as well as being one of the more bland-looking and downright rudimentary-feeling entries into the series (partly due, I'm sure, to the fact that it was a first-gen GB game at launch), IIRC...something that this game doesn't have to suffer from on Wii, I'm sure. I guess that the big positive to look forward to regarding this would be that GB Castlevania Adventure was one of the most different-feeling of all the old-school CVs... I just hope it turns out well...a massive remake of GB Castlevania II would instantly be pretty neat and represent a more solid foundation to build a new title from, though.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
MightyHedgehog said:
Remaking one of the worst Classic/Actionvanias? Hmmm...it had better be a pretty substantial remake with only a passing resemblance to the terribly disappointing GB game.

Just look at the screenshots. It looks nothing like Castlevania Adventure. It does look pretty damn gorgeous too. The best looking Rebirth title by far.

Piano

Banned
What the...

I didn't really like the original Castlevania: The Adventure outside of its music (first and third stages had great music), but I can see a remake of it being utterly amazing. 4 levels is a little bit of a let-downer (especially considering how a game like Megaman 9 was full length) but I'm not complaining, especially since the fireball whip is back! :D

As far as Metroid goes, 2 is actually my favorite. I first played it in 2003 when a friend let me borrow it. Prior to that, I've never even heard of Metroid. I like 2 the most because, despite it having no map, it still gently guides you to the right locations. I would love a remake of that more than most other games.

zoukka

Then for who they should be remade for?

Also may your balls gather fungal growth.

KevinCow said:
You are insane.

No, I just prefer Metroid games as slow-moving exploration games, not fast-paced story-driven action titles. Then again, I was playing the original Metroid when it first came out, so I have somewhat of an attention span, and can deal with the lack of magical statues telling me where to go next.

zoukka said:
Then for who they should be remade for?

Also may your balls gather fungal growth.

They should be remade for me, because I'm wonderful. My scrotum already has some nasty chafing from the other night; I thought you knew what you were doing.

It's soon to say... I know...because we haven't seen the game in movement.... but... I can't stop thinking that It's been more than twelve years and two generation of game systems since SOTN...

So please... PLEASE... Konami, why is this STILL the best 2D character sprite/ animation in a Castlevania game as of today?

alucard.gif

Admit it: You're not even trying.

solfulldiani_2.gif

P.D: Sadly, Day one bitches. "Belmondoaaagh!"

KevinCow

Banned
No, I just prefer Metroid games as slow-moving exploration games, not fast-paced story-driven action titles.

Fast-paced story-driven action titles? What? Not even Fusion could be considered that. Five three-second cutscenes throughout the whole game suddenly makes it story-based?

Then again, I was playing the original Metroid when it first came out, so I have somewhat of an attention span, and can deal with the lack of magical statues telling me where to go next.

Magical statues giving you an idea of where to go are better than having the game consist of five different rooms copied and pasted over and over again, no map, no saving, and awful controls.

It's not like you don't still have to explore, what with all the hidden power-ups and the eight zillion different ways to sequence break.

I stick with my first assessment: You are insane.

Foffy

Banned
I find it a little bit sad that even with this game, they're reusing tiles from other Castlevania games...

I still remain perplexed as to why Adventure is being given such treatment in the form of a remake. It was the worst game in the canon until Judgment. It's a little offensive to see that nominated for a remake over the likes of Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines. But, they can only go up from here, considering the game in question, I suppose.

Is it just me, or does it seem like there are two different character sprites? One of the characters has purple pants, while the other has white. Could it be lighting from the angle causing that?

I think maybe I'm hoping too much on the idea that it could simply be a new game starring Christopher Belmont, as I'm losing interest in all of the Classicvanias nowadays being remakes.

No, I just prefer Metroid games as slow-moving exploration games, not fast-paced story-driven action titles. Then again, I was playing the original Metroid when it first came out, so I have somewhat of an attention span, and can deal with the lack of magical statues telling me where to go next. .
Dude, I have some criticisms and nitpicks with MZM too, but it's far far from "terrible". In fact, it's a great game in spite of some missteps. Also, GTFO with that seniority bullshit. As if you're the only person on GAF who played the original Metroid when it came out, or has "somewhat of an attention span". Seriously?

Foffy said:
I still remain perplexed as to why Adventure is being given such treatment in the form of a remake. It was the worst game in the canon until Judgment. It's a little offensive to see that nominated for a remake over the likes of Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines. But, they can only go up from here, considering the game in question, I suppose.

Iga stated in various occasions that Dracula's Curse was a serious candidate for a remake, being his favourite cv game...

I'm waiting since I heared it in the "Making of" from Castlevania Chronicles ...

Perhaps it will never happen since he no longer runs the show?

thefro

It basically will be a completely different game... I notice there's hearts and subweapons which weren't in the original.

I watched a video walkthrough of the game and maybe only one of the screens in the scan matches up with the layout of the original.

I'm sure they're taking some inspiration from the original game and I'm sure "Battle of the Holy" will be in the soundtrack but that's probably about it.

Young Nobleman Of Sadness said:
It's soon to say... I know...because we haven't seen the game in movement.... but... I can't stop thinking that It's been more than twelve years and two generation of game systems since SOTN...

So please... PLEASE... Konami, why is this STILL the best 2D character sprite/ animation in a Castlevania game as of today?

alucard.gif

Admit it: You're not even trying.
Have you seen Shanoa's OoE animations?

Teknoman

duckroll said:
Based on what robut just said, it's possible they might hold it off until December if they really care about releasing it exactly "10 years after".

Hoping they just pull a nearl Halloween release.

Foffy

Banned
Teknoman said:
Hoping they just pull a nearl Halloween release.

Konami is weird. Sometimes we get Castlevania games months before Japan, and sometimes days after.

It's a big game of roulette, I suppose.

Dave Long

Banned
Easy_D said:
I agree. This sounds crazy, I know, but I fucking love the double jump animation.
Srsly. I'm playing OoE right now and I don't see how Shanoa isn't the best animated Castlevania sprite. She's incredibly detailed and fluid.
TunaLover said:
Pretty much, I couldn't play the newest Castlevania because the boring backtracking...
I'm 24% clear on OoE. When does the backtracking start?

Top Bottom