• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

CO_Andy

The worst part of OoE is the level design. Iga had somehow converted the redundant hallways of Lament of Innocence into 2D.

This is why Castlevania needs to go back to its roots :p

Foffy said:
Didn't Rondo get turned down by Nintendo a few years ago in terms of a VC release outside of Japan?

I've not heard anything about this at all, source?

Also Bionic Commando was rejected but no reason was given (I think its obvious that it was rejected because BC Rearmed came out on XBLA and PSN and Nintendo didn't want to support the sales of the competition by having the "bad" version in comparision to the remake)

What is this crap about 4 levels? How many levels were in the original game, again? I can't remember. It wasn't very many.

ace harding: private eye said:
Not necessarily. Metroid Zero Mission was terrible. Seeing old games re-worked to appeal to no-attention-span young people is sometimes heartbreaking.

Nah, Zero Mission was great. I have a few issues with it, but not many.

Foffy said:
I find it a little bit sad that even with this game, they're reusing tiles from other Castlevania games...

I still remain perplexed as to why Adventure is being given such treatment in the form of a remake. It was the worst game in the canon until Judgment. It's a little offensive to see that nominated for a remake over the likes of Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines. But, they can only go up from here, considering the game in question, I suppose.

Let me get this straight... instead of remaking a game that could desperately use a remake, they should spend time remaking a game that doesn't need one?

Maybe I could see Simon's Quest, given how unique it is in the series and how unbalanced it is, but Bloodlines? Bloodlines is a great game. It doesn't need a remake at all.

ace harding: private eye said:
No, I just prefer Metroid games as slow-moving exploration games, not fast-paced story-driven action titles. Then again, I was playing the original Metroid when it first came out, so I have somewhat of an attention span, and can deal with the lack of magical statues telling me where to go next.

I also played it way back in the day, and the slowness got tiresome. Don't get me started with the other problems the game had.

Zero Mission took a merely good game and made it superlative. Fact. (And you can ignore the statues if you want to.)

TunaLover said:
Pretty much, I couldn't play the newest Castlevania because the boring backtracking...

Only the first three games, Symphony of the Night through Harmony of Dissonance, had substantial backtracking.

CO_Andy said:
The worst part of OoE is the level design. Iga had somehow converted the redundant hallways of Lament of Innocence into 2D.

Absolutely; the DS games have great control, graphics, music, and concepts, but all have the glaring flaw of copy-and-paste map design.
To me, it's worse than backtracking to go through a new level, only to have the same exact setup of obstacles as seen in a previous stage. Or to go through one level that consists of a straight line with no platforms.
IGA seemed to place more focus on slaughtering onslaughts of enemies, which is fun, but eventually tiring, and not really the point of Castlevania. Then again, I don't like games like Devil May Cry, so I'm probably in the minority on this.
With the exception of Harmony of Dissonance, IGA's castles were never really creepy either.

andymcc said:
why would you go from the awesomeness that is CVIII to the underwhelming shit-stain of SCIV?

I dunno it's been awhile since I played it last. Maybe this time I'll look past the gimmicky level design.

TunaLover

Foffy said:
Didn't Rondo get turned down by Nintendo a few years ago in terms of a VC release outside of Japan?

I´m not sure if its Nintendo fault only, but there a quite good library of VC Arcade in Japan that never made its way over here, I tend to think it´s because the publisher isn´t all interested bringing VC games outside Japan, and Nintendo inability to persue third party VCA localization.

Anony

CO_Andy said:

no thanks
the mechanics are way too dated, and there's no variety (just a whip and secondary weapon)
well, actually, if it was a small wiiware game, i dont mind, ie this

the mechanics are way too dated
How so? Castlevania 4 and Rondo both improved the controls while still keeping to the game's playstyle. Castlevania games also age very well because they tend to be very balanced and well designed, as well as the fact that the game is setup for save systems.

and there's no variety (just a whip and secondary weapon)
Never mind that Castlevania 3 added variety by giving us three new characters. Rondo helped this by giving us Maria, then giving Richter Item Crash moves, which applies to Maria's unique items as well.

Dated mechanics? Please.

It's just that most devs these days don't have the guts to pull off an old-school Castlevania style action game.

If anything we need a return to the roots like yesterday. The kind of game where nothing can be taken lightly, the smallest foe can prove to be the biggest danger, attacks that take 1/8 to 1/4 of a lifebar and have a tendency to knock heroes into pits, and so on.

The mechanics in action games these days allow for too much freedom at times.

"Oh you jumped forward but lo you're hopping right into a nest of enemies. Well no big deal just turn around in mid-air and move back, or just double-jump over the nest entirely".

"An enemy is running towards you but luckily you swing your sword so quickly they can't even hope to touch you."

"Pits? Never heard of them."

Stuff like that I dunno. It's too commonplace these days. Maybe that's what the people want but who cares? Not every game needs to play the same.

duckroll

Anony said:
no thanks
the mechanics are way too dated, and there's no variety (just a whip and secondary weapon)

Mario is just about jumping on enemies. Holy shit, that's too dated. I think Nintendo needs to make Mario into a side scrolling action adventure RPG with hundreds of equipment types and each enemy should have a 2% chance of dropping a card that gives a different attack effect! OMG SO DATED @*&$^(@^$(@Y)(*$Y)(D( WJGFPOJPOFVS
Fegaga
aghaeh k

stilgar

duckroll said:
Mario is just about jumping on enemies. Holy shit, that's too dated. I think Nintendo needs to make Mario into a side scrolling action adventure RPG with hundreds of equipment types and each enemy should have a 2% chance of dropping a card that gives a different attack effect!

ho god the nightmare. Put that on kongregate with a kawai-ish generic style, it will be GOT(internet)Y

Dascu

duckroll said:
Mario is just about jumping on enemies. Holy shit, that's too dated. I think Nintendo needs to make Mario into a side scrolling action adventure RPG with hundreds of equipment types and each enemy should have a 2% chance of dropping a card that gives a different attack effect! OMG SO DATED @*&$^(@^$(@Y)(*$Y)(D( WJGFPOJPOFVS
Fegaga
aghaeh k
You're upset about those sub-100k SMT:SJ sales, aren't you?

Maybe they should've put it on a console. :)

Foffy

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I've not heard anything about this at all, source?

Also Bionic Commando was rejected but no reason was given (I think its obvious that it was rejected because BC Rearmed came out on XBLA and PSN and Nintendo didn't want to support the sales of the competition by having the "bad" version in comparision to the remake)

This source was really a famous leaker who obtained notoriety for spoiling literally everything about Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin a good 3-4 months before it was released anywhere. She later started to leak information on Dracula X Chronicles, mentioning within the month of the games reveal that there were 4 games in the compilation. It was during this time she claimed Konami of America sent Rondo of Blood to Nintendo of America to be evaluated for the Virtual Console.

I know it would seem ridiculous to believe a random woman on the internet, but she did gain credibility with the PoR leaks, as she posted footage of hidden character modes, major plot elements, the final boss fight, and a beta version of the soundtrack. She was pretty much put on the hushush-list when Order of Ecclesia was rolling around. I think the last claim she made was that 2009 would see a lot of Castlevania projects in production, as she did seem pretty right; You have Akumajo Dracula: THE ARCADE, Akumajo Dracula Pachislot, Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and the all-still-rumored-to-be-in-development IGA-vania.

Sagitario

Ranger X said:
Oh sweet, just saw the scans and I feel right at home!

It's remake of the gameboy game I never played on top of it so this is a day one for me.

Same here...

Because of this remake, I just started playing SCIV [Wii]...

duckroll said:
Fegaga
aghaeh k

And you can customize Mario's wardrobe with unlockable outfits.

WesFX

Neo Member
Holy crap at the responses even hinting that Gradius Rebirth could be easy.

I could wonder why those people still play video games, honestly.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Farore said:
Same here...

Because of this remake, I just started playing SCIV [Wii]...

i love this game. i love everything about it top to bottom. even simon's goofy centurion outfit. i've beaten castlevania , c.v.3, c.v.4, dracula x, symphony of the night, the three gba games, two of the ds games (haven't gotten to o.o.e. yet; or, rather, i am stuck at the fucking lighthouse with the stupid crab monster), and lament of innocence

. . . and of all those, if we exclude the more exploratory games and look strictly at the action, i enjoyed c.v.4 the most. i like that it's not punishingly hard, the game looks dope, i love the soundtrack, and it's just straight up fun to play.

good times when that came out on v.c. beat it straight through. i think that was the first game i played with my classic controller, too.

manzo

Anony said:
no thanks

What the fuck

Sir, you need to turn your gaming badge in.

duckroll said:
Fegaga
aghaeh k
That actually sounds like the thinking behind Werehog Sonics, Sonic Clone has Guns and Sonic with a sword.

Just saying, perhaps there's a reason why everything went wrong.

KittenMaster said:
Execution can make the most simple of ideas awesome, or turn the most awesome of ideas into pure crap.
Indeed, but are you saying those ideas were awesome though? :p

It wasn't just the execution... it was Sega's stubbornness to add variation to the original Sonic formula... by replacing it with whatever else they had in mind.

beelzebozo said:
i love this game. i love everything about it top to bottom. even simon's goofy centurion outfit. i've beaten castlevania , c.v.3, c.v.4, dracula x, symphony of the night, the three gba games, two of the ds games (haven't gotten to o.o.e. yet; or, rather, i am stuck at the fucking lighthouse with the stupid crab monster), and lament of innocence

. . . and of all those, if we exclude the more exploratory games and look strictly at the action, i enjoyed c.v.4 the most. i like that it's not punishingly hard, the game looks dope, i love the soundtrack, and it's just straight up fun to play.

good times when that came out on v.c. beat it straight through. i think that was the first game i played with my classic controller, too.

Sadly, that's were I left it never to return. I feel so wimpified lately, but I don't have time to try and retry at my age :(. Ahh, to be young and socially awkward!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
beelzebozo said:
(haven't gotten to o.o.e. yet; or, rather, i am stuck at the fucking lighthouse with the stupid crab monster)

Oh man, the ending to that boss fight is probably the best in the history of the franchise!
You'll smack yourself upside the head when you realize why you can't finish the fight, and once you do see the boss' demise, you'll crack a smile at the very least.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
The Japanese website finally went live. No screens or videos posted yet.

http://www.konami.jp/products/dl_wii_dracula_re_ww/

However on Konami's official Castlevania site they added a button which gives us our first good look at the player character sprite (presumably Christopher Belmont):

banner13_agt.jpg

Enlarged:

2ynjy8i.png

And a quick comparison to sprites from previous games.

ick4eo.png

JavaMava

How long was the wait between contra and gradius rebirths release between japan and na?

also haven't seen clear shot of this posted yet
rebirth.png

wrowa

JavaMava said:
How long was the wait between contra and gradius rebirths release between japan and na?

Contra Rebirth:
Japan: 5/12/09
Europe: 9/04/09
NA: 9/07/09

Gradius Rebirth:
Japan: 9/02/08
NA: 3/09/09
Europe: 7/03/09

CO_Andy

iamaustrian said:
No. I hate that new funky anime style.
I'm glad that they staid old schoolish with the new sprite
There's nothing "anime" about the SOTN sprites, unless of course you mean the character portraits.

Just happy its not using the new-fangled vector art of the 2D HD era.

Is that true widescreen i see in one of the screenshots?

Anony

duckroll said:
Fegaga
aghaeh k

yeah, because the new mario games ONLY have jumping and fireballs right?
why do you think there's 10+ powerups nowaday

like i said no variety

and yeah it's dated, why do you think mario have a life bar now instead of 1/2 touch kills

zigg

Anony said:
and yeah it's dated, why do you think mario have a life bar now instead of 1/2 touch kills

Only in the 3-D games. NSMB still keeps the lose powerup, lose life scheme alive.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
zigg said:
Only in the 3-D games. NSMB still keeps the lose powerup, lose life scheme alive.

In NSMB, isn't it still easier a bit? Like, you're big, have a flower power up, you get hit, lose powerup, but you're still big?

Anony

it was always like that i think
small -> big -> powerup
and the other way around
but u could go small -> powerup + big

but in nsmb you get to hold a powerup

Anony

well yeah, but how would you like it if in mario galaxy 2, you are killed in 1 hit if you dont have a power up
yes, it's you can play it and finish it, but it would just be frustrating

or how about 3 lives, when ur dead, you start all the way from the beginning

Anony said:
it was always like that i think
small -> big -> powerup
and the other way around
but u could go small -> powerup + big

but in nsmb you get to hold a powerup

In SMB and the SNES version of Super Mario World you would go from Fire Mario (or cape) to small whenever you took a hit. All other versions would take him down to Super Mario only (including the GBA version of World).

duckroll

Anony said:
well yeah, but how would you like it if in mario galaxy 2, you are killed in 1 hit if you dont have a power up
yes, it's you can play it and finish it, but it would just be frustrating

or how about 3 lives, when ur dead, you start all the way from the beginning

Gamers are fucking weaksauce these days. Sigh. Go find another hobby and stop watering down mine. :p

andymcc

Banned
the sprite work is really simple, it kind of looks like the simple color-scheme of the GBA main-character sprites.

duckroll said:
Gamers are fucking weaksauce these days. Sigh. Go find another hobby and stop watering down mine. :p

your hobby is dated, dude. get over it.
i'm with you, fuck these spoiled brats

Anony

duckroll said:
yeah, no one told you to powerup in CoE or any of the metroidvanias
why dont you play it with your first weapon and dont equip any equipment
dont save while you're at it
then you'd practically be playing the original castlevania practically

yes, it's 'pussy'

you know how many time i beat super mario for gameboy, in single digits
how many times i play it, over 3 digits

you just cant complete the game:
1. no save
2. limited lives
3. you start all over again

i played it so many times that i can complete the first half of the game pretty easily, the second part is hard as fuck because every time i get there, i dont have many lives left, and i dont 'practice' on the stage due to the lives limit
AND you have to play the game in 1 sitting

yes, it was fucken satisfying to beat the game, all the current games are pussy shit compared to it
but, the mechanic is broken, that's why it was replaced

if castlevania did not shift to the metroidvania status, i would have abandoned the franchise
of course i dont mind playing the original formula, but it's dated, that's why you dont see these games as often

duckroll

Anony said:
yeah, no one told you to powerup in CoE or any of the metroidvanias
why dont you play it with your first weapon and dont equip any equipment
dont save while you're at it
then you'd practically be playing the original castlevania practically

yes, it's 'pussy'

you know how many time i beat super mario for gameboy, in single digits
how many times i play it, over 3 digits

you just cant complete the game:
1. no save
2. limited lives
3. you start all over again

i played it so many times that i can complete the first half of the game pretty easily, the second part is hard as fuck because every time i get there, i dont have many lives left, and i dont 'practice' on the stage due to the lives limit
AND you have to play the game in 1 sitting

yes, it was fucken satisfying to beat the game, all the current games are pussy shit compared to it
but, the mechanic is broken, that's why it was replaced

if castlevania did not shift to the metroidvania status, i would have abandoned the franchise
of course i dont mind playing the original formula, but it's dated, that's why you dont see these games as often

The only thing that is broken is your lack of skill, not any mechanic. If you love stupid Igavanias so much, go post in those threads. Stop shitting up this one with your crappy opinions which no one wants. So you don't like the oldschool stuff? Fine, don't play it, don't buy it. We don't need to hear about you whining about how it's dated and how you can't beat games. Okay?

Top Bottom