• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: Witcher 3 was made possible because of console sales

Tigress

I appreciate their transparency, which is something Ubisoft didn't do. However, I believe they did it too late. They should have talked about this long before, plus I don't believe them when they say this couldn't have happened on PC alone. The Witcher and The Witcher 2 did extremely well on PC. This isn't a niche series that sells a few hundred thousand.

Scale sure, but Witcher 3 would have been fine as a PC exclusive had things been different. I'm glad they decided to head the console direction so they could expand the series, but they need to remember PC is what made them to begin with.

I for one, even if I had a PC, am glad they decided to be ambitious and do a large, open world game with a lot of content and use consoles to justify that happening. Because you know what? I like this game so far a lot better than I liked Witcher 2 (can't say about Witcher 1). Witcher 2 for me was an ok game. But it wasn't a game that had me enthralled/wanting to play all day. In fact I was kinda glad it ended up being pretty short. Witcher 2 was mostly enjoyable for the story. In fact if it was a movie rather than a game I don't think I'd have felt I missed much (ok, I did like making choices so it had that going for it. I always love dialogue/choices in dialogue) as I mostly enjoyed it for characters/story.

Witcher 3 is the first game in over a year that has had me really enthralled and sucked in. And it it is pretty much what I was hoping out of it. And I do think a lot of that is the scale/open world.

I suppose you should re-read. It was NOT a Vertical Slice. It was gameplay, in engine, running on a PC. It was not a baked synthetic situation for demo purposes.

Verticle slice is usually gameplay. It's like the full game would be a cake, and then a vertical slice is a small piece of that cake, where you bring everything up to the quality you, at that time, expect the game to have.

So yes, it was a vertical slice, and yes, it was probably gameplay, because vertical slices usually are.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Both sides are pretty bad towards each other. I choose console over PC even though I have a great PC, but console is just my preference.

I don't doubt console people can be ignorant towards the benefits of PC and passive PC users.

But this kind of situation is something where the hate console owners get for supporting the ecosystem we choose to game on is very without merit i'd say.

What CDPROJECTRED says about financing games and expanding the pool of players is not a controversial statement i don't think.

If your a PC dev and think you have to go multiplat, that is obviously going to come down to being a business decision just like when Crytek, Blizzard and basically every other previously PC only dev did it.

Likewise, if your a console dev who needs extra revenue and your original player base isnt doing it, going to PC is absolutely logical from a business stand point, as is rumored with even Japanese devs nowadays both large and small.

The fact of the matter is, this industry relies on synergy, and we should not be trashing each other over that kind of thing.

Get angry about misleading trailers and previews if you want, but that's where it should stay

...If they made their purchasing decision based on the 2013 materials, I'm deeply sorry for that...
I really, really hope no one bought a game released in 2015 based completely off a trailer from 2013. It seems crazy they even have to talk about this....that there are people out there stomping their feet over such a silly thing. And in the end, we got one of the best games of the year. Or last 10 years.

Darkroronoa

While I have no problem moving to PC, your statement is not true. I know even today hardcore console gamers that have no interest in a PC or even learning how to build one. Most of them will stop gaming and either move to mobile, or just stop all together.

If consoles die they will die because PC's will be easy to use, just like a console, affordable.
Consoles wont die by a magic spell, they will die when the people wont choose them for gaming. If consoles die they will die because gamers will move into PC. If there is a market for consoles then consoles will exist, but the playerbase wont disappear and i dont expect people to move to mobile instead of PC gaming.

If consoles die they will die because PC's will be easy to use, just like a console, affordable.
Consoles wont die by a magic spell, they will die when the people wont choose them for gaming. If consoles die they will die because gamers will move into PC. If there is a market for consoles then consoles will exist, but the playerbase wont disappear and i dont expect people to move to mobile instead of PC gaming.

I'd say for console gameing to die it would have to be a mixture of both, the more casual players going to mobile and the leas going to PC. Either way I doubt it would happen because consoles hit the second largest gaming market, players who want deeper games, but also dont want to deal with the headaches of PC gaming. Of the three markets consoles are the middle ground between two extremes.

Tigress

I'd say for console gameing to die it would have to be a mixture of both, the more casual players going to mobile and the leas going to PC. Either way I doubt it would happen because consoles hit the second largest gaming market, players who want deeper games, but also dont want to deal with the headaches of PC gaming. Of the three markets consoles are the middle ground between two extremes.

This I think sums it up pretty nicely overall.

Top Bottom