• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character Models: Ratchet & Clank PS5 vs Toy Story 1995

How far do you think we are from the 1st Toy Story game when it comes to character models?

• Extremely Close

Votes: 94 53.4%
  • Close

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Far

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Extremely Far

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • The same

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Already Surpassed it

Votes: 25 14.2%

• Total voters

Aidah

I would rather watch an animated movie that looks like R&C than one that looks like Toy Story 1. Lightning is still nice in Toy Story 1 though.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
we've surpassed toy story for a while now. left is TS1 and right is KH3

kingdom-hearts-3-vs-toy-story-movie-comparison-12.jpg

i'd say we've not only surpassed TS1 but maybe 2 as well now if these PS5 screenshots are representative of what we actually get. Toy Story 3 is a long time away and 4 is just crazy good looking.

these images below are taken directly from the 4K blu ray so not promotional renders.

Toy Story 2

toy_story_2_4k_19.png

Toy Story 3

toy_story_3_4k_14.png

Toy Story 4

toy_story_4_4k_34.png

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
I may need to have my eyes checked because as far as I see Ratchet Ps4 already has better lighting, effects, models and animation than Toy Story 2.

Pandor

Banned
I thought the cutscenes were being rendered real time on the hardware. Which is why I posted that image.
Have you played R&C PS4?
That's in-game graphics gameplay.
So an in game cut scene running in real time vs. one giant 80 minute cut scene not running in real time is not a fair comparison?

No, this is gameplay:

What you have there are just cinematics. Can’t believe people don’t know the difference between cutscenes and gameplay lol are you really so much in denial? Like really? It’s absolutely clear that those are cutscenes, and that the real Gameplay looks completely different. Just look at the video.

this is ingame gameplay graphics
4a3DYiG.png

Astral Dog

People really need to stop comparing CGI to games, there is no game running in CGI, they don't have to worry about frame rate or even the animation looking good in every angle.
This, i don't get the obsession with comparing videogames with Toy Story 1.movies and games have drastically different needs and priorities. there is never gonna a perfect comparison between those two because there doesn't need to be one.

And they use drastically different artstyles too, anyways for me modern videogames are more pleasing to look than Toy Story 1, plus modern systems take advantage of newer tech that wasn't available at the time of making Toy Story, despite consoles being far less powerful than the computers used.

No, this is gameplay:

What you have there are just cinematics. Can’t believe people don’t know the difference between cutscenes and gameplay lol are you really so much in denial? Like really? It’s absolutely clear that those are cutscenes, and that the real Gameplay looks completely different. Just look at the video.

4a3DYiG.png

But the cinematics are real time right? Which means the console is capable of rendering models of that quality. That's why I posted the image.

It's like saying that the XSX isn't capable of HellBlade 2 because the footage they showed was a cinematic.

I don't think you understood the point of my OP.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

i'd say we've not only surpassed TS1 but maybe 2 as well now if these PS5 screenshots are representative of what we actually get. Toy Story 3 is a long time away and 4 is just crazy good looking.

these images below are taken directly from the 4K blu ray so not promotional renders.

Toy Story 2

toy_story_2_4k_19.png

Toy Story 3

toy_story_3_4k_14.png

Toy Story 4

toy_story_4_4k_34.png
Toy Story 3 is still so gorgeous that at times i think it looks better than 4 🤭
its the beautiful looking rooms full of toys and color,perfect for the movie
4 looks more realistic, but also a bit drab next to 3 like its for a different series

kebaldo

No, this is gameplay:

4a3DYiG.png

Even in that screenshot it looks better than Toy Story 1 lol lets put this in an not console war way: in this gen we will have things looking better than TS1 on Ps5 and Series X... R&C and Kena are the proof.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Can you show me an in-game graphics gameplay character model? I mean cutscenes don’t mean much, IMHO.

There was so much gameplay tht looked unbelievable in that ratchet ps5 presentation lol why would you even say tht? I guess it looks too beautiful to believe.

toy-story-disneyscreencaps.com-2116.jpg

Kena-Bridge-of-Spirits-screenshots-RotCarry-scaled.jpg

ratchet-clank.jpg

(both pure gameplay screens hots)

Use your eyes and turn off the console war part of the brain lol

The point of my OP wasn't to console war. The 1st toy story has always been a benchmark to games like Ratchet and Clank. Was only asking for people's opinions on his close we got.

Also I thought it was fair to use a cutscene because it was being rendered real time on the actual console.

If you have evidence that what I posted was fake and not running on the console I'll change the screen shots.

Edit: If there's one thing that I wanted to avoid was to compare gameplay from Rift Apart to gameplay from a Toy Story game. I don't think it would have made an interesting discussion and it really isn't fair since the game was being rendered on a really old console. The Toy Story movie was done on a render farm so I thought it would have been nice to see how close we got to it.

dims

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1st Toy Story is hard to beat and Ratchet and Clank has the luxury of having modern technology.

Agent X

PS5 polycount is so high, close enough to CG to not matter for my eyes unlike PS2/3. Hard to compare tho, different art styles. Not technical person but can see some things are better and other things are worse. Clearly the lighting isn't as real in RC (no consistent/clear sources of lights, that's ray tracing I guess). But very pleasing aesthetically regardless. RC's textures/details/lighting choices make it appear very impressive even relative to Toy Story. It's much closer to a modern CG movie if you will.
You need pathtracing to beat even '95 cgi. Nvidia demos comes close with raytracing, so probably next gen [after ps5, xsx] we will have actual games that beat it. We will however have games that look flashier/way nicer looking than toy story from 95, this upcoming gen. You could say we already have games that look 'nicer' than toy story this gen.

Both of these post made some good points. Without scrutinizing every little detail, there are already a few games that are "close enough" to the visual appearance of Toy Story. Most people aren't going to be analyzing ray-traced reflections while they're busy dodging bullets and blasting bad guys.

Modern CG is much more photorealistic compared to video games.

Games are getting better but they are decades behind today's cinema.

You're right, but this is a moving target. Just like video game graphics have gradually improved throughout the years, so has the quality of prerendered CGI for movies. In that regard, video games might never truly catch up.

As others have said earlier in this thread. Toy Story is (and has been) a notable point of comparison, due to its technological impact and long-lasting popularity. This is why we're having this discussion. I don't expect a 2020 video game to match a 2020 movie, but even to have it approximate a well-known 1995 movie is a remarkable achievement.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, this is gameplay:

4a3DYiG.png

Oh I do know the difference.

My comment went way over your head. Hope you figure it out soon.

Pandor

Banned
Oh I do know the difference.

My comment went way over your head. Hope you figure it out soon.

still, we have to look at the actual gameplay graphics, where you can actually play the game.
what’s the use of some cutscenes? Doesn’t really matter though.
what’s important are really nextgen GAMEPLAY screenshots.
I mean just look at the CGI lastgen in the FFXV, looks even better than this. Easily.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Games will never surpass CGI because in CGI the creator has waaay more control of they will show you, CGI made in very controlled environments.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
still, we have to look at the actual gameplay graphics, where you can actually play the game.
what’s the use of some cutscenes? Doesn’t really matter though.
what’s important are really nextgen GAMEPLAY screenshots.
I mean just look at the CGI lastgen in the FFXV, looks even better than this. Easily.

No, we do not. This is comparing graphics, cut scene to cut scene, and if a home system can draw in real time the graphics in a cut scene that can rival the equipment needed with a grueling process to just get one frame for CGI film, that’s damned impressive and shows we have come along way with tech advancement.

Toy Story doesn’t have any gameplay.

Your gameplay screenshots are also disingenuously cherry picked. Not even from PS5 source material, but low rez bitrate video re-uploaded in 720p. There are far better bitrate (Like the official 4K video) and/or direct captures than the one’s you provided. I see what you are trying to do.

Edit: oh, another one of this FUD alts, goodness.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pixar re-rendered the original Toy Story in 2010, and they said it took 2-4 minutes per frame on their farm. A few people on reddit have said that a 2080TI based setup could theoretically render the movie in realtime.

I’ll leave it to others to verify, and of course the 2080TI is more powerful than PS5, but the point is that we are getting close... although Toy Story 2 is far beyond the first, something that even a layman could have seen back then.

Last edited:
Op, isn't the question though: Do we *want* video games to look like a movie from 19-halfofyouwerentbornbackthen-95?

I think video games this generation, even on Switch, have managed to look better than Toy Story 1 overall. No, of course not in terms of post-processing effects and such, but whether it's Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Infamous: Second Son or Halo 5, these are more pleasant to look at than Toy Story 1 which simply is way too simple, no matter how many effects it might feature.

This posting justifies this thread's existence. Thank you, good sir.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart PS5
RC_RiftApart_Heroes_PS5.jpg

Toy Story 1995

8.jpg

So just looking at the character models of the 1st Toy Story film and comparing it to the new Ratchet and Clank A Tear in Time PS5 game, does anyone think that we are close or do we have a really long ways to go to reach that level?

I thought it might be fun to look at these types of games and see how far the industry has evolved.

Edit:

9Flvo7d.gif

Just for fun here's what Ratchet looked like in the first game.

Why compare Ratchet and Clank to Toy Story and not KH3 to Toy Story? Far better comparison, IMO.

KH3 already gave us almost perfect recreations of modern Pixar characters. I would argue it looked *better* than the original Toy Story, though Sully's hair still wasn't quite on the level of the Monsters Inc film.

I think it's more telling that we're suing the first Toy Story. Yes, I think R&C looks better, but Toy Story is old as shit LOL games will have a very very hard time ever competing with offline rendered artwork, it just will. Maybe when quantum computing becomes a thing this will no longer be a valid conversation topic, my fingers are crossed!

Toy Story 2

toy_story_2_4k_19.png

Toy Story 3

toy_story_3_4k_14.png

Toy Story 4

toy_story_4_4k_34.png
Toy Story 2 looks a lot better than I remember. I thought it was modestly better than 1, but no, that's a big step up.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
R&C looks way better and will have way more happening too... explosions, particle effects etc etc.

The fur and metal are way beyond what Toy Story did, probably TS2 also. Toy Story has a very simplistic style compared to R&C.

Vawn

Banned
Games will never surpass CGI because in CGI the creator has waaay more control of they will show you, CGI made in very controlled environments.

Modern day CGI, sure. But, it surpassed early CGI like Toy Story 95 a while ago. Now, I don't even consider Toy Story even being close behind games like Ratchet and Clank PS5.

The most impressive aspect of this trailer, imo, is the particles/details happening all over the screen in almost all the scenes. Looks very, very impressive. (IMO of course)

Top Bottom