• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville racist(s) losing jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
Hmm, I'm always torn with things like this. One one hand their beliefs are reprehensible in my opinion and are disgusting. On the other hand, it's a slipper slope seeking out people and trying to get them fired based off their personal beliefs. Freedom of speech can be conundrum sometimes.

I wouldn't even call being a Nazi a 'personal belief'.

Wanting different skin-colored human beings to disappear is not a personal belief, it just being bat-shit insane, and should face immediate consequences of all levels for this mindset, if you ask me.

Makki

Hmm, I'm always torn with things like this. One one hand their beliefs are reprehensible in my opinion and are disgusting. On the other hand, it's a slipper slope seeking out people and trying to get them fired based off their personal beliefs. Freedom of speech can be conundrum sometimes.
Freedom of speech for condoning and promoting the death of non whites? Would you feel the same way about the slippery slope argument while defending radical islamists then?

Mahonay

Banned
I don't disagree but I think the point I'm making is that it's a gray area for people to try and dig up your identity to get you fired or socially unfavourable. But here I just dom't care. If you wanna expose your identity for something so totally trash then you can handle big boy consequences. I understand why some people are uneasy about it. I just dont think this situation is a slippery slope. Pretty plain to me.
Many people have been fired before for inappropriate things on their Facebooks that their employers have found. This is no different really.

SeanTSC

Genocide, Ethnic Cleansing, Gas Chambers, Ovens, the deaths of MILLIONS and the sacrifices of countless lives fighting one of the worst legitimate Evils in the history of all mankind makes this the least slippery slope in existence. Humanity drew a line and that shit doesn't get to be a "belief". There's no conundrum here.

Let's not ever forget what Nazis fucking are. Do not normalize them, ever. Do not brush aside their insanity and monstrosity as simply a "different opinion" or "political belief" ever.

louiedog

They are't being fired for their personal beliefs. They aren't sitting quietly at home thinking nazi things that they put away and then are able to treat people fairly at their job. These people are actively engaging in hate and trying to intimidate those they see as less than human and make society worse.

rjinaz

Nazis are just a different opinion or personal beliefs apparently. What the fuck is happening to this country? I feel like free speech is doing more harm than good. Hate speech and nazis runs rampant and isn't even being thought of critically anymore because, eh it's their right.

It's never ok, their rights or not. These people should face serious consequences, just not jailed.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
"Slippery slope?"
No. There is nothing slippery about this slope. This is how you act accordingly.

The vast majority of these guys almost certainly are under at-will employment and can be fired for any reason whatsoever without warning.

At-will employment still has sate and federal protections. You can't be fired based on your race, religion, gender, age, etc, some states also protect you based on sexual orientation or gender identity. You also can't be fired for being asked to do something illegal. You can't be fired for taking time off to serve in jury duty etc..

Obviously none of these apply to these shitheads, but I am sick of people acting like you have literally zero protections in the US.

You can hit these people over the head with information, and all you're going to end up with is a moron who still doesn't understand, just with a headache.

These people don't want to learn, they don't care.

To them, the world (for lack of a better term), is black and white. If you're not with them, you're against them. You're the enemy and they generally, truly, believe they're at war (even though the vast majority of them wouldn't last 3 seconds in actual combat).

Yeah i know. It's probably going to be hard. And i also can't help but smile when idiots like that get publicly humiliated. But it's a smile with a bitter taste most of the time, because i know it won't help making these people any less stupid. They deserve it though, don't get me wrong.
But sometimes it's less hard than you think. Isolate these people and put them in a completely different situation/ environment and wisdom and empathy seems to pop out of nowhere.
I've seen it happen on certain Tv shows in my country but also in real life at my son's soccer practice. Some kid's parent went from extreme right to really fucking sorry about his past and removing tattoos and stuff. Within a timespan of half a year.
A person like that is worth way more to society than a bitter dumb racist.

Anyway, it's probably a mission impossible and who the hell would like to invest time and recourses into people like that?

linkboy

It's not a freedom of speech issue.

If the government were rounding them up throwing them into jail for being at this rally, then yes, that's a freedom of speech issue.

Having a job isn't a right enshrined in the Constitution, it's a privilege, and just like with any other privileges, it can be taken away.

Companies want their employees to set a positive image for the company. It's not a positive image if your employee is at a rally spouting off Nazi bullshit.

When you get hired for a job, you're a representative of the place that hired you, whether you're at work or not, and you're actions do reflect on the place that hired you.

There's consequences for your actions (which is something a lot of people need to learn) and I'm not shedding a tear for any of these people who lose their job.

I literally haven't the slightest clue what you're trying to argue.

That the more we use shitty tactics like social media vigilantism, doxxing people and outing them to their employers, etc. - tactics that Nazis and alt-right scum also use and that I first observed as a fear tactic used to shame people into silence about their views on abortion - the more these tactics grow in acceptance and use.

I don't shed a tear for the Nazi dude who gets fired. I absolutely agree that I wouldn't want someone like that working for me. What I'm uncomfortable with is social media vigilantism, doxxing, and outing people to their employers so that they'll be fired becoming accepted practice in general, because that gives the tactic so much more potential - due to its normalcy - to be reused and abused by people I don't agree with.

We have tactics that Nazis can't co-opt - nonviolent resistance. We know that Nazis can't use those tactics because Nazism depends on violent oppression of nonwhites. I'd rather we stick to a playbook that doesn't set uncomfortable precedents about social media detectives being gatekeepers for who's acceptable enough to have a job. I don't like the potential that tactic has for abuse and misuse.

yeah and you're posting in a fucking TOPIC ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW

I'm actually not.

Economic violence refers to acts of control and monitoring of the behaviour of an individual in terms of the use and distribution of money, and the constant threat of denying economic resources. The control mechanisms may also include controlling the victim's access to healthcare services, employment, etc.

http://eige.europa.eu/rdc/thesaurus/terms/1096

Sai-kun

Banned
jesus fucking christ

the only platform that nazis deserve is one to walk off of when they're being hanged

exterminate your local fucking nazis

We have tactics that Nazis can't co-opt - nonviolent resistance.

yeah and you're posting in a fucking TOPIC ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW

Yeah just speaking out loud I think. Sorry, not trying to be a dick.

No it's cool. Like I said. Imo this is really plain and simple. Don't go and fucking march with Nazis if you value your job and social standing. Pretty simple. I just get why the broader social implications may be an issue with people. But eh, you may be fired if you're a piece of shit doesn't really bug me.

My mind is still boggled by that other guy in here saying that practicing Nazis deserve to be left alone.

Yeah fuck that. They need to be shamed out of existance. Fuck them and everything they stand for.

I am about 1000% for this. Free speech and freedom does not provide constitutional protection to you from people's wrath for being a fucking shithead

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not worried about Nazis losing their jobs.

I'm worried about this tactic becoming a new normal that all sides use to punish their opponents.

I remember condemning employers who fired people for being gay, for supporting abortion, etc. If that's not okay, this shouldn't be okay, either.

5chan and alt-right have been using doxxing for years. That's why even a lot of counter protestors use masks. If you want to draw some line in the sand it's long since been crossed. If you want to argue well we should be better than this than I ask for what reason?

So people can go march in hat rallies with no masks and no fear of consequences. These people didn't hide this shit they knew it was going to happen or at the very least should have had the brains to know.

That the more we use shitty tactics like social media vigilantism, doxxing people and outing them to their employers, etc. - tactics that Nazis and alt-right scum also use and that I first observed as a fear tactic used to shame people into silence about their views on abortion - the more these tactics grow in acceptance and use.

I don't shed a tear for the Nazi dude who gets fired. I absolutely agree that I wouldn't want someone like that working for me. What I'm uncomfortable with is social media vigilantism, doxxing, and outing people to their employers so that they'll be fired becoming accepted practice in general, because that gives the tactic so much more potential - due to its normalcy - to be reused and abused by people I don't agree with.

We have tactics that Nazis can't co-opt - nonviolent resistance. We know that Nazis can't use those tactics because Nazism depends on violent oppression of nonwhites. I'd rather we stick to a playbook that doesn't set uncomfortable precedents about social media detectives being gatekeepers for who's acceptable enough to have a job.

You're all over the map. Outing someone as a Nazi and getting them fired is nonviolent resistance.

Their pictures are on national news. Should they not show their faces?

Con_Smith

Banned
Bruh, we really trying to non violently and passively find ways to get Nazis and racists to learn the err of their ways.

I mean we killing white women and beating blacks with poles but sure, let's suck the dick of oppression in the hopes they'll learn to not be pieces of shit.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

We have tactics that Nazis can't co-opt - nonviolent resistance. We know that Nazis can't use those tactics because Nazism depends on violent oppression of nonwhites. I'd rather we stick to a playbook that doesn't set uncomfortable precedents about social media detectives being gatekeepers for who's acceptable enough to have a job. I don't like the potential that tactic has for abuse and misuse.
Oh, my sweet summer child...

Nafai1123

Banned
They're terrorist supporters and sympathizers. Would you argue that someone who supports ISIS openly and tries to recruit for them shouldn't be ostracized? Hell, they'd be arrested for trying to recruit for a terrorist organization. We should treat white nationalists the same. They don't get the right to terrorize just because they're white. Throw the hammer down on these assholes and watch recruitment drop off as they realize supporting a terrorist movement has dire consequences.

Sure, there are a lot of people who say things privately they don't want their employers to know, but if you're participating in a fucking white supremacist march, and one you know will get media attention, that's not obviously not saying things privately. There's no violation of freedom of speech here and we've been over that like a million times when it comes to these kinds of events.

The people who take part in these rallies are the enemy and that's how they should be treated by everyone else, including companies.

Quixzlizx

Nazis are just a different opinion or personal beliefs apparently. What the fuck is happening to this country? I feel like free speech is doing more harm than good. Hate speech and nazis runs rampant and isn't even being thought of critically anymore because, eh it's their right. It's never ok, right or not. These people should face serious consequences.

The problem is that people parrot "free speech" as a catchphase without the requisite intellectual rigor of what it means and stands for. About how it is part of a set of liberal values that includes the presumption that we are all born equal under the law.

Nazis are viruses that infect free speech so they can destroy it and everything else associated with it.

Getting to keep your job after attending a goddamn Nazi march has gotta be up there as far as white privilege goes.

Look, other posters have already addressed the main crux of your point so I won't repeat what has already been said. I do however raise some eyebrows at your use of "personal beliefs". We're not on about a hypothetical employee who may personally be against abortion, or against any form of taxation or state handouts. We're on about literal Nazis who subscribe to an illegitimate and inherently violent ideology completely at odds with the mission statements of nearly every private company out there especially when said person is likely to be working with PoCs as fellow employees, or more alarmingly, said person owes a duty of care to people whom they consider to be sub-human. So in that regard, yes. A Nazi employee is a very real potential danger in more ways than just to the very public image of a firm.

We can go on about where the line should be drawn when it comes to personal beliefs and consequences for holding on to such beliefs, but at this very moment we're on about actual Nazis, so it's not a complex and grey situation at all. It's very clear cut to me.

rjinaz

So basically you are concerned for Nazis. Got it. Glad we cleared that up. I'll tell you who's not acceptable enough to have a job, Nazis. I'll tell you who deserves to be doxxed, Nazis.

Nazis. Feel dirty defending Nazis? You should.

Mahonay

Banned
We have tactics that Nazis can't co-opt - nonviolent resistance. We know that Nazis can't use those tactics because Nazism depends on violent oppression of nonwhites. I'd rather we stick to a playbook that doesn't set uncomfortable precedents about social media detectives being gatekeepers for who's acceptable enough to have a job.
How does this work in situations when they are running you over with cars and beating you with pipes?

What about all the black people in past decades who've been lynched? Should we just look past that and not defend our fellow man?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

I'm actually not.

http://eige.europa.eu/rdc/thesaurus/terms/1096

What about ousting people over social media is violent?

For real, I'd fire your ass just for sympathizing with Nazis right now.

HeySeuss

No conundrum at all. Freedom of speech only protects you from being arrested for anything you say as long as it isn't a direct threat of harm. That's why it's called "freedom" of speech. You won't go to jail for anything you say, but that doesn't protect you from the consequences of what you say.

Stop equating the wanting of everyone-not-white dead as being freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not mean accepting anything and everything under the sun. The year is 2017. The bar is respectable, non-reprehensible and non-violent beliefs. Stop lowering it. Freedom of speech isn't free rein to be an awful human being who wants others dead.

So I got jumped on pretty fast which I fully expected. I'm not sure I can respond to everyone at once.

I would argue that we employ millions of people that want others dead. Plenty of religious people want certain groups or sects dead/eradicated. That's not to say all but they are certainly out there. Most businesses do also have a right to fire these people and that's fine. It is their business after all. I'm simply just saying I don't know if hunting down these people and actively trying to get them fired is the best practice. One I still stand by that it's a slippery slope and that right now we know their opinion is shitty but this could move to other opinions in the future. And then also I don't think this is going to help the problem in America. Them getting fired is just going to further fuel their rage against minorities and other groups. They will end up blaming their unemployment on them and say see they are here to take our jobs. This will only further their twisted sense of reality.

I know this isn't going to be a popular response on this forum. I'm just giving my two cents. Please keep it respectable as we are all exchanging ideas here and trying to develop a good conversation here.

Not sure why people are complaining about free speech here. The bosses of these people are simply exercising their right to free speech too, by telling these degenerate Nazi fucks to get the fuck out of the office and never come back.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
free_speech.png

Reposted this for the new page.

5chan and alt-right have been using doxxing for years. That's why even a lot of counter protestors use masks. If you want to draw some line in the sand it's long since been crossed. If you want to argue well we should be better than this than I ask for what reason?

I don't think I should have to explain why it's essential that we always ask ourselves whether and how we should be better than our enemies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh, my sweet summer child...

There's nothing sweet summer child about his position doesn't make logical sense on any level. They've admitted that Nazi's already use nonviolent resistance then later states they don't when even they have said they do infact do this which is blatantly obvious for all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom