• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville racist(s) losing jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.eater.com/2017/8/14/16143032/top-dog-charlottesville-employee-white-supremacist

aHi2Xfw.jpg

Just saw this on facebook

A Bay Area man named Cole White was fired from his job at Berkeley cheap eats institution Top Dog after he was ID’d as one of the marchers in the violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, VA over the weekend. On Saturday, Twitter user @yesyoureracist shared photos from the Friday night march with the message: “If you recognize any of the Nazis marching in #Charlottesville, send me their names/profiles and I'll make them famous.” By Sunday morning, White had been identified in the photo and the management at Top Dog sent @yesyoureracist word that he had been terminated:

https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist

Guess it's only a matter of time before they start bringing out the white robes for these marches.

this was my thought. this won't stop them or drive them underground; this will send them back to the white hoods and internet anonymity where they continue to recruit and fester.

UberTag

This guy flew all the way from Berkeley to Charlottesville to attend a White Supremacist rally. What the fuck...
People fly across the country to attend the San Diego Comic-Con each year and hang with their peers.
This is the white supremacist equivalent of that.

I give zero fucks as long as they make sure they have the right people. I read some professor had been "exposed" and it turns out he wasn't the person and wasn't even in the state at the time. I'm worried we'll have another Boston bomber situation where reddit detectives were just posting random brown people as the culprits

Plumbob

Just had a discussion with friends about whether this was legal or not.

California protects employees from being fired for outside of work political activity.

But it cannot protect unlawful assemblies. And even if the protest hadn't been violent, there's leeway to let an employer fire an employee for conflict of interest with the business (AKA the loss of business due to customer backlash from employing a nazi).

YaBish

this was my thought. this won't stop them or drive them underground; this will send them back to the white hoods and internet anonymity where they continue to recruit and fester.
Well at least I feel like the white hoods are successfully vilified at this point. It's harder to ignore as well.

This guy flew all the way from Berkeley to Charlottesville to attend a White Supremacist rally. What the fuck...

Tangent: This actually makes me feel better about the whole thing, a little. Counter-protesters didn't fly across the country for this, but these loons did. And they were still outnumbered.

What happened was awful, but the numbers are on our side.

Guess it's only a matter of time before they start bringing out the white robes for these marches.
The good thing there is we (hopefully) won't see any news outlets or politicians attempting to defend it as free speech. The robes and hoods are synonymous with outright indefensible racism for everybody, even the "both sides" shitheads.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LOL fuck that guy. Now this is some vigilante shit I can get behind.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Just had a discussion with friends about whether this was legal or not.

California protects employees from being fired for outside of work political activity.

But it cannot protect unlawful assemblies. And even if the protest hadn't been violent, there's leeway to let an employer fire an employee for conflict of interest with the business (AKA the loss of business due to customer backlash from employing a nazi).

I'm sure some of these companies will be sued for wrongful termination. Some might even lose. They'll win in the Court of Public Opinion however. It's like Chick-flla but in reverse.

Two Words

If only these white supremacists could wear some kind of cloak to hide their identity and allow them to continue propagating their hate anonymously....

Maybe some sort of face mask...

It is fitting for it to be a white face mask, since they are white supremacists after all...

They'll need to still be able to see, but still want maximum facial coverage. So it would be best to just cut out some eye holes. No need to show the mouth.

Hmm, I wonder if any other groups with similar thoughts and concerns have solved this problem....

The good thing there is we (hopefully) won't see any news outlets or politicians attempting to defend it as free speech. The robes and hoods are synonymous with outright indefensible racism for everybody, even the "both sides" shitheads.

Oh I think we will see people defend it. But I'm also sure that the general populous will, at that point, then come to understand how disgusting these white nationalists truly are once they visually associate themselves with something like the KKK.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Why not? Racists are proven to be willing to travel across state lines to support their shitty beliefs.

I give zero fucks as long as they make sure they have the right people. I read some professor had been "exposed" and it turns out he wasn't the person and wasn't even in the state at the time. I'm worried we'll have another Boston bomber situation where reddit detectives were just posting random brown people as the culprits
Yeah this is important, I hope they are verifying in some way before posting

Quonny

I'm all for this as long as the person running the Twitter account is extra careful and does research before releasing these names.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
couldnt be happier for them. you want to be racist, fine, doesnt mean your employer has to keep employing you.

He's not the only one so far and Shaun King has been identifying the pieces of shit that attacked Deandre Harris.

espher

If it's the "Arkansas Engineering" prof, the guy that was erroneously exposed is actually an open racist/neo-Nazi anyway, but yeah they do need to be careful.

JC Lately

If we're gonna do this, for the love of whichever God you choose, get the right person. That's all I ask.

We already had one false ID from this weekend. It was cleared up fast, but what if it hadn't?

Auctopus

In full support of this as long as they are 100% sure it's the right person.

Exactly what I was going to write. There's already a couple examples of Twitter detectives IDing the wrong person. I'm all for the real Nazis to get what's coming to them but "Yeah, that guy sorttttt of looks like this guy's FB profile picture from 2012" just isn't good enough.

zeemumu

If only these white supremacists could wear some kind of cloak to hide their identity and allow them to continue propagating their hate anonymously....

Maybe some sort of face mask...

It is fitting for it to be a white face mask, since they are white supremacists after all...

They'll need to still be able to see, but still want maximum facial coverage. So it would be best to just cut out some eye holes. No need to show the mouth.

Hmm, I wonder if any other groups with similar thoughts and concerns have solved this problem....
Willard's wife must've fucked up the eyeholes
giphy.gif

klangif.gif

Yeah this is important, I hope they are verifying in some way before posting

When I saw this a couple days ago the account was getting a lot of them wrong (while plugging a patreon lmao) but the people were usually incorrectly identified as other known/prominent racists so it wasn't exactly harming innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom