• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville racist(s) losing jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's the "Arkansas Engineering" prof, the guy that was erroneously exposed is actually an open racist/neo-Nazi anyway, but yeah they do need to be careful.

Oh shit, really? That was the guy I was thinking of. I guess I never followed up after hearing it wasn't him in the photo

Just had a discussion with friends about whether this was legal or not.

California protects employees from being fired for outside of work political activity.

But it cannot protect unlawful assemblies. And even if the protest hadn't been violent, there's leeway to let an employer fire an employee for conflict of interest with the business (AKA the loss of business due to customer backlash from employing a nazi).

CA is an "at will" employment state, meaning they can fire someone for any reason (as long as it isn't a protected)

I generally think it's a bad idea for us to cultivate the expectation that low-level employees (i.e., people who aren't executives or high-profile public figures) should be fired from jobs they already have because they're "exposed" as holding certain undesirable political beliefs.

Like, at least set the bar at them actually being directly involved in the violent/illegal components of the rallies, or taking on a leadership role in a white supremacist group.

There are some parts of the country that are way too red and way too violently anti-liberal for this to be a precedent I'm comfortable setting, especially with how quickly neo Nazis adapt their rhetoric and tactics in response to criticism from the left. We can find consequences for racism that can't be so easily turned around and used by racists against people racists disagree with.

It's okay, I'm sure Trump'll get him a new job like he's been promising so many millions of idiots - I mean, economically concerned upstanding citizens.

Yep, he'll make those 'jobs'.

...Any day now.

Well at least I feel like the white hoods are successfully vilified at this point. It's harder to ignore as well.

Truth.

White hoods make it far easier to punch them.

Though I worry that white hoods (and the anonymity that comes with them) will make them bolder and more likely to hurt someone.

We don't have a president that will brand them as terrorist organizations in office anymore. We aren't far from more black folk being dragged behind vehicles again with "both sides" as the narrative.

I think this is a pretty good strategy for a non-violent effort to root out these people. This account seems to be pretty quick at jumping the gun though, and pimping their patreon every 5 posts.

Would like to see someone else take up this mantle, but still, keep this going.
Truth.

White hoods make it far easier to punch them.

Though I worry that white hoods (and the anonymity that comes with them) will make them bolder and more likely to hurt someone.

We don't have a president that will brand them as terrorist organizations in office anymore.

they are already pretty fucking emboldened as it is. These people have been festering for a while. I was already figuring the trump white house would give them this feeling of empowerment. This weekends actions have shown some ability for the public at large to vilify them even when normally standing "neutral". white hoods would definitely sway many more people against them.

The question that remains though, is what would the result be. Terrifying prospect.

If only these white supremacists could wear some kind of cloak to hide their identity and allow them to continue propagating their hate anonymously....

Maybe some sort of face mask...

It is fitting for it to be a white face mask, since they are white supremacists after all...

They'll need to still be able to see, but still want maximum facial coverage. So it would be best to just cut out some eye holes. No need to show the mouth.

Hmm, I wonder if any other groups with similar thoughts and concerns have solved this problem....
Can you protest in the US with your face covered? Over here the local authorities can forbid it, so if you organize a protest and everyone is hiding their faces police can break it up.

Future

In full support of this as long as they are 100% sure it's the right person.

Often everyone thinks they are untouchable so they actually post from real Facebook and Twitter handles, making it even easier to identify

I never understood that. You must truly be proud of those racist beliefs and be willing to wear that hat to the world if you are posting that shit in social media with your real name.

muteki

free_speech.png

I generally think it's a bad idea for us to cultivate the expectation that low-level employees (i.e., people who aren't executives or high-profile public figures) should be fired from jobs they already have because they're "exposed" as holding certain undesirable political beliefs.

Like, at least set the bar at them actually being directly involved in the violent/illegal components of the rallies, or taking on a leadership role in a white supremacist group.

There are some parts of the country that are way too red and way too violently anti-liberal for this to be a precedent I'm comfortable setting.
Having an open white supremacist employee is pretty much a textbook definition of creating a hostile and toxic work environment,

I guess you can worry about Nazis losing their jobs though.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

There are some parts of the country that are way too red and way too violently anti-liberal for this to be a precedent I'm comfortable setting. We can find consequences for racism that can't be turned around and used by racists against people racists disagree with.

When it comes to Nazism and white supremacy I really do not discern a difference between a volunteer and a leader. If you're there, you're complicit in everything happening because by the very nature of the organization or group you're attending, you condone violence against minorities and advocate for only white thriving.

No, be it a low level employee or high level executive, if you're that person then you can suck your own white supremacist dick and get fucked out of your job, I don't give a shit.

It's okay, I'm sure Trump'll get him a new job like he's been promising so many millions of idiots - I mean, economically concerned upstanding citizens.

Yep, he'll make those 'jobs'.

...Any day now.

interested to see what happens to this guy and also Peter Cvjetanovic in 10 years now that they're both outed in the public domain as being nazis. This shit isn't going away.

A lot of these people get their social media presence dug up which is made up of hateful rhetoric and images that goes beyond political activity that could be used as the firing reason.

yup

louiedog

Just had a discussion with friends about whether this was legal or not.

California protects employees from being fired for outside of work political activity.

But it cannot protect unlawful assemblies. And even if the protest hadn't been violent, there's leeway to let an employer fire an employee for conflict of interest with the business (AKA the loss of business due to customer backlash from employing a nazi).

A lot of these people get their social media presence dug up which is made up of hateful rhetoric and images that goes beyond political activity that could be used as the firing reason.

one really good thing about profit-driven capitalist culture is that racism is generally quite bad for business.

i know if i owned a business and i heard that one of my employees was a bigot and was potentially refusing service or being disrespectful to customers because of skin color or type of clothing or whatever, i would absolutely lose my shit and that person would be canned so fucking fast.

so yea, this is nice to see.

There are some parts of the country that are way too red and way too violently anti-liberal for this to be a precedent I'm comfortable setting.

They're nazi's. They should be dead. They're not getting fired for being conservative, it's for being, or marching along with, white supremacists. Not being employable is the very best case scenario for nazi's. No way I would ever hire anyone who would ruin my company's reputation by marching against the rest of humanity.

There are some parts of the country that are way too red and way too violently anti-liberal for this to be a precedent I'm comfortable setting, especially with how quickly neo Nazis adapt their rhetoric and tactics in response to criticism from the left. We can find consequences for racism that can't be so easily turned around and used by racists against people racists disagree with.

Nah, Nazis deserve to be fired.

Having an open white supremacist employee is pretty much a textbook definition of creating a hostile and toxic work environment,

I guess you can worry about Nazis losing their jobs though.

I'm not worried about Nazis losing their jobs.

I'm worried about this tactic becoming a new normal that all sides use to punish their opponents.

I remember condemning employers who fired people for being gay, for supporting abortion, etc. If that's not okay, this shouldn't be okay, either.

Herne

Yeah I've been seeing this on Facebook. As many as possible are being named and shamed, with some being kicked out of university or jobs. Good stuff.

SeanTSC

Desiring Genocide and Ethnic Cleansings isn't a "political belief" - it's being an irredeemable monster.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
What minority would trust that hot dog asshole to handle their food?

These people are a shitty look for employers. I'm interested in which businesses DON'T fire based on this--I'm not giving them any of my money. Ever

Desiring Genocide and Ethnic Cleansings isn't a "political belief" - it's being an irredeemable monster.

I like how you've conjured up a false reality where the only people who get to punish people for being irredeemable monsters are people who agree with you about who's an irredeemable monster.

I'm worried about this tactic becoming a new normal that all sides use to punish their opponents.

I remember condemning employers who fired people for being gay, for supporting abortion, etc. If that's not okay, this shouldn't be okay, either.

And what possible reason would an employer have to fire someone because a Nazi pointed them out as being anti-Nazi? It doesn't really work for the side of bigotry as a tactic, because they have no reason to present why the person they're targeting should be fired

Great false equivalence. I'll make it easy for you:

Firing someone for being a white supremacist = acceptable
Firing someone for for being gay, for supporting abortion, etc. = not acceptable

If you are drawing parallels between the above and being a Nazis, then at best you are being disingenuous or ignorant. I'm not here for this.

The good thing there is we (hopefully) won't see any news outlets or politicians attempting to defend it as free speech. The robes and hoods are synonymous with outright indefensible racism for everybody, even the "both sides" shitheads.
It is free speech. It's also consequences of free speech, and one of the benefits of at-will employment that business can drop these tools for no other reason but that they find their employees outside acts unacceptable.

Jazzem

The feel good story of the day :)

It is free speech. It's also consequences of free speech, and one of the benefits of at-will employment that business can drop these tools for no other reason but that they find their employees outside acts unacceptable.

This x10000000000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom