• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chilean Navy releases UFO video

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an infrared camera. And this footage was shot from "approximately 35 to 40 miles (55-65 km) away."

Can your camera phone do that?

Edit:

.... yyuuuuuppppp.....

Not to mention their military did a 2+ year investigation into this. Lol

Anywho. Happy weekend!!! Lets get jiggy wit it..na na na na na na na

Thing looks like a Boein Chinook with a smoking rotor to me.
s8VaH4S.jpg

Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it..

The flight speed and weird coronas around the blob when displayed as a negative, really make it look like it's got dual spinning rotors.

I'm convinced this is exactly what it is actually

Kelsdesu

I'm pretty sure the substance released was some mind control drug which has caused the increase in nationalism across the world and got DT elected. It is a deterrent from us advancing as a civilization.

That is actually more nefarious 😂😂😂! This on some Marvel Secret invasion shit right now!

teepo

Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it..

The flight speed and weird coronas around the blob when displayed as a negative, really make it look like it's got dual spinning rotors.

I'm convinced this is exactly what it is actually

can that even be spotted 35-40 miles out?

and this object looks to be well above the clouds. i'm not sure a helicopter, let alone a chinook, can reach those altitudes.

Reeks

can that even be spotted 35-40 miles out?

and this object looks to be well above the clouds. i'm not sure a helicopter, let alone a chinook, can reach those altitudes.

The aircraft was flying at an altitude of approximately 4,500 feet on a clear afternoon with unlimited horizontal visibility, and the air temperature at that height was 50 degrees F (10 C). There was a cloud base above at 10,000 feet, and a layer of stratuscumulos clouds below. The helicopter was flying at about 132 knots, or 152 mph.

Right? Did anyone even read the article?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Isn't it amazing how with hundreds of millions of HD video cameras in pockets around the world that there's not a flood of these and that the quality is still always garbage?

Reeks

Isn't it amazing how with hundreds of millions of HD video cameras in pockets around the world that there's not a flood of these and that the quality is still always garbage?

There's a plethora of 'UFO' footage on Youtube taken by novices. But they are very difficult to validate. That's the whole reason this video is particularly interesting, because the Chilean military acquired it, had all the field data and analyzed it for two years. And the quality is *not garbage. Read the article and previous posts.

Swamp fart or fart gas.

I have spent the last 48 hours, almost non-stop talking about this case, researching it, sitting on /r/ufos, reading & watching everything, even commenting on YouTube videos (I know... great use of my time) and even telling a few family members about this and other cases like it. Metabunk took aim at this today and I feel it is resolved no matter how badly I want it to be otherworldly. The analysis is very good and I've accepted it after reading it and the 16 page sceintific study that someone ALREADY did and it was amazingly convincing that it was a320 or a 787. They literally have it down to 2 flights that were in the area, within the range of the cameras, etc. Some unanswered stuff still but the preponderance of evidence is plenty for me.

THIS post made me laugh and break from my stupid consternation. At first slowly, then really hard once I saw the username + Homer + the comment all together. Thanks for this. This made me LoL for real out loud in real life.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I have spent the last 48 hours, almost non-stop talking about this case, researching it, sitting on /r/ufos, reading & watching everything, even commenting on YouTube videos (I know... great use of my time) and even telling a few family members about this and other cases like it. Metabunk took aim at this today and I feel it is resolved no matter how badly I want it to be otherworldly. The analysis is very good and I've accepted it after reading it and the 16 page sceintific study that someone ALREADY did and it was amazingly convincing that it was a320 or a 787. They literally have it down to 2 flights that were in the area, within the range of the cameras, etc. Some unanswered stuff still but the preponderance of evidence is plenty for me.

THIS post made me laugh and break from my stupid consternation. At first slowly, then really hard once I saw the username + Homer + the comment all together. Thanks for this. This made me LoL for real out loud in real life.

Could you provide a link to this study?

Edit: it's here: https://www.metabunk.org/explained-chilean-navy-ufo-video-aerodynamic-contrail-flight-la330.t8306/

The Beard

The majority of smartphone cameras are ass. Especially when recording from a distance.

From the thread on that someone posted a statement by the Chilean government that it's likely an airplane.

Thanks +1

Well it was fun while it lasted.

That's nice and all, but how did an A320 or a 787 escape the radar of both towers + chopper? And why didn't they answer the radio calls? This makes absolutely no sense.

Ever wonder if the chemtrail myth started because someone misheard the word contrails

It's weird that I know several adult humans who really buy into the chemtrail thing. When I talk to them about contrails they pretty much have never heard of that word or what they were.

My 7 year old son asked me when he was 6.. "Dad, what are those in the sky?" I explained they were contrails, and how/why they are formed at certain altitudes etc.. His response.. "Ok daddy, makes sense."

I've done my part lol

Giganteus

That's nice and all, but how did an A320 or a 787 escape the radar of both towers + chopper? And why didn't they answer the radio calls? This makes absolutely no sense.
Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Maybe there's an explanation for the radar and radio calls?
I would like one, because those two things are keeping this ambiguous for me.

I have to admit, this is the first genuinely interesting case of a UFO that I've seen, personally. I understand why people are so dismissive in this thread, but this is actually an interesting case for once, so it's kind of sad to see. Everything else I've ever seen has been clearly BS.

No, I don't think it's aliens, but I'm really curious as to what this actually was.

SHOCKING!

"Let's not ask people with a background in a topic and knowledge of the history of the topic to write about it."

Absurd. It's like saying a historian can't talk about history because they have some bias towards the subject. Prove Leslie Kean is not credible - she is not a goddamn Steven Greer or some other "cult of personality ufologist".

Except it is a pretty detailed article, citing numerous sources backed up with some decent evidence

Certainly doesn't read like some crazy blog post from a Giorgio tsoukalus (dunno if I spelled that right?) fanboy

how about we do, she has spoken to many high ranking and reputable sources.

that's like saying don't listen to Nick Pope just because he worked for the MoD in the UK an looked into UFO's etc.

I trust Leslie Kean over some random blog. she knows her stuff.

Lol - thanks for the responses, chums.

ElFly

We're so used to this stuff being fake that we won't know a real one until after the aliens land and come out.

one day the aliens will descend and their flying saucer will have a giant cable protruding and flying into the sky

all those obviously fake photos will have been the real thing

ced

Thing looks like a Boein Chinook with a smoking rotor to me.
s8VaH4S.jpg

This is exactly what I thought, and I can guarantee you the actual military knows it.

This is just UFO nuts peddling something identified as aliens.

edit: Turns out it was an airliner, close enough I guess.

War Eagle

Definitely a UFO, but almost definitely not ET. It's probably a secret government aircraft (which country?) that specializes in avoiding radar detection.

ced

Why the fuck is everyone ignoring no radar and radio response? Did Metabunk solve that? Could I have a link to it?

It's in the metabunk post and in the military's response linked above, the pilot was mistaken about the jets distance when it came to radar. I don't know about radio but honestly why care about it when it's been positively identified down to the flight #.

Giganteus

It's in the metabunk post and in the military's response linked above, the pilot was mistaken about the jets distance when it came to radar. I don't know about radio but honestly why care about it when it's been positively identified down to the flight #.
Ah, okay thanks. Sounds about right.

How was the pilot mistaken if the distance has been verified by the French officials and confirmed as correct?

At 1:52 pm, while filming the terrain, the technician observed a strange object flying to the left over the ocean. Soon both men observed it with the naked eye. They noticed that the velocity and the altitude of the object appeared to be about the same as the helicopter, and estimated that the object was approximately 35 to 40 miles (55-65 km) away. It was traveling W/NW, according to the Captain. The technician aimed the camera at the object immediately and zoomed in with the infra red (IR) for better clarity.

(...)

The French calculations confirmed that the UAP's altitude was the same as the helicopter's, and that ”the helicopter's velocity along its linear trajectory was constant (120 kt)," just as the witnesses had stated. In addition, Louange and his colleagues determined that the average distance between the helicopter and the object was ”almost exactly the estimated value reported by the Navy (55 km)." Clearly the two witnesses were competent and accurate observers.

And why the fuck did a commercial airliner NOT answer a radio call for several minutes?

No, I don't believe this. It still doesn't make any sense. It seems like someone is just trying really hard to find an explanation when there isn't.

ced

How was the pilot mistaken if the distance has been verified by the French officials and confirmed as correct?

And why the fuck did a commercial airliner NOT answer a radio call for several minutes?

No, I don't believe this. It still doesn't make any sense. It seems like someone is just trying really hard to find an explanation when there isn't.

Of course you don't believe it, you have already decided this is aliens. The way you should be thinking is that the last thing this could be is aliens, unless there is no other explanation.

Only the pilots of that flight would be able to answer why they didn't reply to radio hails, but common sense suggests they didn't think it was directed at them, as mentioned in the ipaco analysis.

ATC most likely looked in the wrong area for a radar return based on bad estimates of position.

Read the ipaco and metabunk analysis again, it's evidence based and leaves zero questions as to what was filmed.

Edit:

Metabunk added a FAQ that addresses the radio and radar:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If it was a plane then why did it not respond to hailing
A: A pilot familiar with Santiago departure responds:
TWCobra said: "The helicopter seems to have tried to call on 121.5. The are a couple of problems with that, Most aircraft don't set that frequency until some time after takeoff which can vary from airline to airline, and if they were listening, unless whoever was calling used their callsign, they wouldn't respond."
The helicopter seems to have tried to call on 121.5. The are a couple of problems with that, Most aircraft don't set that frequency until some time after takeoff which can vary from airline to airline, and if they were listening, unless whoever was calling used their callsign, they wouldn't respond.

Q: Why did it not show up on radar?
They were looking for a low flying object south of the airport about 35 miles away, by the time they looked it was at a high altitude and 65 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom