• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone is Fighting Back (Update: won seven figure lawsuit, formal apology/retraction from accusers)

David Cernat

Neo Member
He admitted wrong doing, that he "should known better", which is dead sentence basically.

From his perspective, he was apologizing for his breakup with Karissa's friend Jackie, which he saw as the real reason for Karissa's actions. His very first reaction to Karissa's accusations was this:

"Karissa does hate me, it is true. Very much, and I do not know how to fix it, but recognized when you hurt someone's friend, there may be no fix at all, except between the two people involved." (Link)

He then kept going on and on about that breakup.

Regarding Karissa's own accusation of "assault", he said:

"I had thought things between us had ended well all up until seeing you off. " (Link)

It's a shame this has been distorted in every possible way that makes him look guilty. Kotaku, for instance, said:

"The women accused Avellone, who most recently worked on the upcoming zombie blockbuster Dying Light 2, of groping, sexual harassment, and other incidents, some of which took place at game industry networking events. Avellone’s only response has been a series of individual Twitter replies in which he apologized to some of the women but did not go into detail about the events in question."

This is patently absurd considering:
1) Jackie never accused him of sexual misconduct
2) He never addressed anyone other than Jackie and Karissa, meaning it wasn't "some of the women"

I hope he is finally persuaded by his friends to make a statement where he clarifies that round of tweets to the point where no one can argue about it anymore. (Although I bet some people are still going to distort it into "he admitted everything before taking it back months later.")

Last edited:

David Cernat

Neo Member
My video came out on the 4th of September. Karissa decided to hide her profile on the 10th, but claimed she was doing it for reasons unrelated to the video:

cL8Fqbd.jpg

Yesterday, she made her profile public again, but all of her tweets from 2009 to 2017 are now deleted. Because of the mass deletion, her tweets from 2018 to the 5th of September 2020 are also not showing up in Twitter searches anymore, for the reasons explained here: https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/missing-tweets

A lawyer friend of mine says the deletion can be used as inferential evidence against her.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The tweets will likely still be available on archive.org for anyone who wants them.

RaySoft

[..] I realized the ONLY reason I was able to refuse him in my blackout stupor was because I was on my period that weekend. The ONLY reason. [..]

Wow, just wow.

anothertech

My video came out on the 4th of September. Karissa decided to hide her profile on the 10th, but claimed she was doing it for reasons unrelated to the video:

cL8Fqbd.jpg

Yesterday, she made her profile public again, but all of her tweets from 2009 to 2017 are now deleted. Because of the mass deletion, her tweets from 2018 to the 5th of September 2020 are also not showing up in Twitter searches anymore, for the reasons explained here: https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/missing-tweets

A lawyer friend of mine says the deletion can be used as inferential evidence against her.
Wow. This is really damning for her. Talk about shitstain.

McCheese

'billy bob down the street touched my no-no place'

Pft, you just thought Billy Bob would mow your lawn and take the bins out each week for you, but now he moved house you regret being the street slut for him and trying to ruin Billy's good reputation.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I like his angle on all of this. Let it all be heard from both sides in an open forum. It is the way it should be on any of these instances, yet mobs tend to tilt the scales of justice quickly and without due process. I imagine for that to happen he will need to take it to the courts and it seems he is indicating that is where it is going.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chris did not deserve to be canceled and absolutely should be able to work in the industry again. This whole sequence of events has been a travesty. He was fired from all of his projects instantly, with zero investigation or critical thinking applied to the allegations, over unsubstantiated social media nonsense from people shown to have ulterior motives and credibility issues. He has decades of great video game writing and design on his resume. We need to preserve our talented writers in this medium or we'll be stuck with the likes of Mass Effect Andromeda ad infinitum.

Use your brain. Evaluate evidence, credibility, and motives before deciding that someone is automatically a piece of shit who deserves to have his life destroyed. There is a real person on the receiving end of every instance of internet mob "justice." How much suffering is worth inflicting for your brief moment of catharsis?

VN1X

Banned
It saddens me how so many people have devolved into being professional victims. What a miserable state to be in: fearful of anything and everything, angry all the time, and without any sense of accomplishment or satisfaction in your life.
The things she lists in her bio are also the most easy and passive ways of "resisting" possible. Like who isnt't opposed to facism and racism, really? And then the "resist" bit... It's all just corporatized 'resistance' backed by the most influential companies in the world lol. Keyboard activism is a joke.

Sorry to go on a tangent here but shit like that is just sad really.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Just avoid Social Meida for private stuff even when you have a business just stay off from Social Media and let other people handle that stuff.

World is broken right now. Societies are sick, governments are crazy.... everything will explode sooner or later and then it goes back to normal. Maybe after a real world war again or something similar.

It's easier if you don't interact with those kinds of players.
Oh, I don't. I actually have the word "trans" filtered (using a mod) so that those messages are instantly culled from the log. Not getting baited into their shenanigans, because that's their goal.

But yes, you are right that it's best not to interact.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh, I don't. I actually have the word "trans" filtered (using a mod) so that those messages are instantly culled from the log. Not getting baited into their shenanigans, because that's their goal.

But yes, you are right that it's best not to interact.
Thus far my server doesn't have very many. Though you can pick them out right away based on their language and obnoxious vocabulary. You might filter them out but the sadist in me enjoys watching the tomfoolery they want to bring on themselves.

It's rather poor attention seeking behavior.

-------------------

Hmm I'd rather be empty inside then having the personality of a backed up toilet. There is a reason why you feel so much relief after vomiting something that doesn't agree with you or getting through an episode of diarrhea.

Last edited:
Anyways why do people care about this person. Who gives a fuck. He’s a shitty drunkard. Nothing special.
rational people probably care because they are very tired of the 'Submit Or Be Destroyed' attitude so prevalent in parts of their society. it's one thing to have a reasonable disagreement on issues while engaging in respectful discourse, it's another to call for the ruination of an individual and his business/family/friends/et al because they simply disagree with you.

Top Bottom