• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone is Fighting Back (Update: won seven figure lawsuit, formal apology/retraction from accusers)

Teslerum

Ahahahahahahah oh my fucking god.
Meanwhile Twitter lawyers:

The "well-written" part irks me more than it should. I mean if that's the standard to be designated *well-written* in official documents I've given waaaaaaaay too much of a shit so far in my life.

Last edited:

East of Odessa

Neo Member
Looks like there was a response to the claim and it's brutal:

Check out everything the accusers lied about in their official statement ("I never went to Cali for a game con," "I never interacted with Avellone in Cali," "I never tweeted with Avellone in Cali" - all proven to be false, and it goes on and on, their lawyer must be stupid, livid, or both).

Also, one of the two accusers is totally doomed because the witness she claimed saw everything says he didn't see anything like what she described. This is hilarious.

Icing on the cake: That Exhibit 8 where the accuser's friend drags her hard on not only the accusations, but what actually happened. Basically says the accuser was making up a relationship all year, was happy they made out, and worse. Wow. Who needs enemies when you have friends like these?

Exhibit 9 has even more texts from the accuser. Comedy gold.

End summary:

4TMZc5i.png

CGiRanger

Banned

Check out everything the accusers lied about in their official statement ("I never went to Cali for a game con," "I never interacted with Avellone in Cali," "I never tweeted with Avellone in Cali" - all proven to be false, and it goes on and on, their lawyer must be stupid, livid, or both).

Also, one of the two accusers is totally doomed because the witness she claimed saw everything says he didn't see anything like what she described. This is hilarious.

Icing on the cake: That Exhibit 8 where the accuser's friend drags her hard on not only the accusations, but what actually happened. Basically says the accuser was making up a relationship all year, was happy they made out, and worse. Wow. Who needs enemies when you have friends like these?

End summary:

4TMZc5i.png
Again this is why things like a thorough investigation or going to court are important instead of always "Believe women!" without a doubt.

poodaddy

She still has a chance considering how corrupt the court system is.
The fact that you're right is so fucking sad. Like I wanna disagree so bad......but I don't based on experience. Hell, my Hispanic business partner is in trouble right now because a lot of tenants have banded together to say that he's racist......against Hispanics, because he wants them to follow the rules and not have dead cars on the property. Just read that sentence twice and try not to lose faith in humanity. Everything is so fucked now dude.

poodaddy

All it takes is one team to look past the cancellation BS and bring him on for a project. It'll lose its power at that point.
We need the Ion Maiden, (yeah that's right, that's the title of the game to me), devs to make another project with a larger focus and scope but with similar goals to Ion Maiden. If they made a project that was supposed to be essentially a great ode to the classic Deus Ex gameplay, but updated in a sense, somewhat akin to how Ion Maiden was an ode to Duke 3D in practice, they could hire Avellone on for the writing and that could effectively remove both parties from the Twitter mob's zeitgeist of stupidity if the product was well received. It could work.....or maybe I just really want that game to exist so I can buy it and play it for 400 hours lol.

Doczu

As i mentioned before - if i were Avellone i would focus on smaller projects, stuff like kickstarters, indie games with ambition to deliver great stories. Be closer to the fanbase and fuck the corps if they still have him on their blacklists. Eventuslly they will forget, especially once the mob forgets.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
A team dicing with guaranteed blowback and their own potential cancellation? We can dream.
There have been a good number of releases over the past few years that have done just this and have earned both the respect of the people who matter (Gamers who actually buy the products) and earned no small amount of monetary success. The most prominent of which I would say would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Its more than possible, and I don't doubt that there are a good number of offers that are being worked on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to at this moment.

Whoa... I like how she's shown in the evidence as trying to do to him what she claims he did to her? (Keep the alcohol flowing, I do what I can!) Gross.

As for the other stuff, that's a whole lot of perjury. Among the other incredible shit, I don't really see how someone who is such a fierce fan of BioWare "forgot" it was owned by Electronic Arts?

Not sure if those audio clips help, but it definitely shows the two of them being chummy.

Ugh. What a parasite. False claims make it harder for real victims.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

End summary:

4TMZc5i.png
What a time to be alive, court getting evidence in form of Twitter screenshots, pretty ridiculous...

East of Odessa

Neo Member
Those exhibits in the document are a goddamn slam dunk.
Agreed. They're really awful (for her). She sounds like the predator here. The fact even her friends throw her under the bus is pretty sad.

Gotta chase that clout, I guess, no matter who gets in your way.

I also didn't notice but that text Avellone sent "Violet" (Jacqui Collins) was because she hit him up at TWO AM in a bar in New York. No wonder he though it was a come-on. His response was lame, but I can't fully blame him for being confused at it being something else.

Teslerum

Reply from Karissa's lawyers

Favourite part
In retaliation for their comments, Mr. Avellone has hauled the defendants into a courthouse 2,000 miles away from home, knowing they lacked the resources and California connections necessary to defend themselves here. The stress and publicity of this case has already taken a substantial toll.
Won't somebody think of poor Karissa? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Only trumped by what comes right after

Granting relief under the anti-SLAPP statute will shift some of the burdens of litigation back on Mr. Avellone, giving defendants leverage they can use to negotiate for peace.

Isn't she just an angel? Only wanting peace.....

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Seeing this makes me so sad for the victim --- and by victim I mean Chris Avellone.

I suspect Karissa and Co have nothing better than a minimum wage job assuming they even work losers that they are. He will probably be unable to get anything out of them monetarily and be out a shit ton of money. What he will have when he eventually wins his case which he no doubt will, is vindication and hopefully he will get his good name back.. Unfortunately he will never be made whole by what these vengeful, lying bitches did to him.

Despicable people like the accusers in this case make me ashamed to be woman.

Teslerum

Telling you that as soon as he wins the courtcase she's going to quit herself. I hope not but thats what I'm assuming is going to happen.
If I guess the type right, no. She will whine, sure. But from somewhere she will get help anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully it will be a new positive change in her life (She still has a kid too). But I fear it's just gonna be someone to leech off.

Despicable people like the accusers in this case make me ashamed to be woman.
There's nothing to be ashamed about. By that same metric we should be ashamed about every violent, disloyal idiot that exists.

Women like Karissa are nothing new, maybe in the past she would just have straight up poisoned Chris. But if anything, it's a reminder how dangerous blind alliances like #metoo can be. The world isn't black and white and at the end of the day so isn't an individuals moral compass. There's a lot of things you can justify to yourself....

Starfield

I know this case is interesting and all but I really DO wonder whats going to happen with the case regarding Jeremy Soule.

I do think he did some fishy stuff but we don't know for sure, just like we didn't in the beginning with the Avellone case.

Imo thats the much more interesting one in the near future. Haven't heard a peep from Soule since 2019

Nickolaidas

I know this case is interesting and all but I really DO wonder whats going to happen with the case regarding Jeremy Soule.

I do think he did some fishy stuff but we don't know for sure, just like we didn't in the beginning with the Avellone case.

Imo thats the much more interesting one in the near future. Haven't heard a peep from Soule since 2019

CGiRanger

Banned
Guess NicheGamer was willing to look into the evidence in more detail, even if (surprise!) no other outlet would.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but "journalists" like Jason Schrier were all too happy to condemn Avellone without any evidence or thought. Yet continued to ignore the issues at places like Activision/Blizzard and Ubisoft for years...

Now they cannot even be bothered to pursue due-diligence and follow-up on their erroneous stories (lies).

Vaelka

Niche Gamer isn't one of the big '' professional '' gaming websites, the fact that he praises them will just be seen in a negative light lol.
They'll just see it as more evidence that he's supposedly a bad person.

Jeremy Soule seems like a weird dude but the accusation against him was some grade A bullshit. Her mention of Soule was a footnote in a rambling wall of text where she tried to fleece money out of her previous employer.

Niche Gamer isn't one of the big '' professional '' gaming websites, the fact that he praises them will just be seen in a negative light lol.
They'll just see it as more evidence that he's supposedly a bad person.

Considering the "professional" sites were all to quick to assume guilt, it's not like there's any hope they'd ever be on his side. He'll always be a bad person to him, even if he's acquitted (the evidence seems pretty clear he got screwed over, but who knows if the court will agree).

I still feel like if you're not shielded by a big, litigious corp like Activision, you're going to be easy prey for most gaming journalists the moment they can fabricate a story.

Notabueno

Banned
Telling you that as soon as he wins the courtcase she's going to quit herself. I hope not but thats what I'm assuming is going to happen.

You're wrongly assuming the psychological make-up of social predators like false accusers: no matter what they went through in life, if anything particular, they are weak minded people that grew-up developing a predatory, manipulatory and toxic behaviours which consist in lashing out externally at other people to avoid confronting any frustration, entitlement, trauma or whatever they are dealing with. Sounds familiar? That's because it represents both SJWs and typical abusers, aggressors, predators etc...

There would be a risk of her quitting herself if she was a person who absolutely went through life with trauma but had a very strong psychological make-up, which enables keeping their frustration, anger, resentment to themselves unfortunately often through a rationalising, self-destructive, guilt mechanic that may eventually leads to suicide. Like the woman at Blizzard which sadly never filled complaint, which is a problem too.

I can guarantee you that none of the false accusers and tyrannical moral mobster are of the latter. Zoe Quinn and Alex Holowca anyone? Well now you know the actual psychological make-ups and who really is a toxic, manipulatory predator.

Last edited:

East of Odessa

Neo Member
Gotta respect any false accuser who goes to an "Avacado at Law" for legal representation. Guy seems like the perfect idiot for The Cause.

Also, the sheer amount of typos and mistakes and, did I forget, the perjury in their response, is unreal.

Teslerum

Motion to quash and motion to dismiss both got denied. Anti-Slapp itself will be decided on the 28th.

I don't think the jurisdiction thing is going to work.

Even crediting the references to personal jurisdiction within Defendants’ analysis in their special motion to strike, the purported motion to quash is without merit. Plaintiff does not claim that there is general jurisdiction over Defendants, who are Illinois and Oklahoma residents, and Plaintiff has met his burden to show that exercising specific jurisdiction over these Defendants comports with due process.

source.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom