• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities you don't like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get on the bus - it's 12 miles away...

The nightlife is great. Not as good as Bristol's because it's a smaller town - but it's full of amazing pubs full of history and good local beers.

lol I don't actually live there, I just visit a lot as one of my close friends was there for five years. I don't think he actually ever went in that time, despite living so to it.

I'm sure I'll go there on my travels sometime

Timbuktu

Like I said, I only _heard_ it was the best city to compare NYC too. No idea whether it's true. Always looked like a cool place to visit to me tho

It is probably true in that they are only really comparable to each other when I comes to the amount of things to do and cultural diversity. The physical fabric are pretty distinct though. London doesn't have manhattan's iconic skyline or grid, but it really is a collection of villages that have grown and merged into one. You don't really have a sports team that can claim to represent all of London for example.

Google

but it really is a collection of villages that have grown and merged into one.

I think that's the one of the biggest things. New York has nowhere near the same amount of diversity from an architecture collection. You walk 10 blocks in New York and (for the most part) you're in a very similar environment to where you started.

Do the same thing in London and you've probably walked through two or three very distinct and different districts.

It is probably true in that they are only really comparable to each other when I comes to the amount of things to do and cultural diversity. The physical fabric are pretty distinct though. London doesn't have manhattan's iconic skyline or grid, but it really is a collection of villages that have grown and merged into one. You don't really have a sports team that can claim to represent all of London for example.

I always thought most Brits were between either Manchester United or Arsenal
2169924-kappa_zpsa712bedf.png

Oh wow :(
Pittsburgh is my dream city.
I am cuban/central American. Kinda killing my dreams here man

Edit: Pittsburgh resident on top of me: I plan on moving to Pittsburgh in 9 years when I finish out my military career, while in the military what degree should I strive for?
What I'm asking is basically, hows the career situation in Pittsburgh?

Healthcare is huge here, so nursing, physicians assistance, pharmacy, etc. theres also a lot of engineering and programming here as well. The tech industry is booming.

Apt101

Anywhere in Georgia. It's always hot and the people look at me like I'm an alien there. I tend to just drive through that state. And Chicago - great people but man it is too cold.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Screw you!

Sorry but Oregon is one of the best states in the country. No sales tax, legal weed (soon), progressive politics, friendly people, beautiful scenery, good drivers, etc. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

if i lived in vancouver i would do all my damn shopping in portland. that no sales tax is a fucking dream

Jacksonville Florida fucking sucks. I've never been to a city where the downtown was dead as fuck on a sunday afternoon. We were on a trip back from Miami and assumed there must be something interesting to eat in downtown Jacksonville. Nope.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Los Angeles. The things OP said about it are true.

Transportation is one of the worst aspects of LA. Public transport is virtually non-existent, the roads are bumpy, cracked, and shitty as hell, and the traffic gets horrendous.

Areas like Santa Monica are pretty nice though, so it's not all that bad.

....what?

HylianTom

Banned
We don't know how to build cities for people. Just cars.

Pretty much.

I've noticed that it's much, much easier for me to like a city if it's really older.. because it was built on a human scale, before the invention of the automobile. Newer cities aren't built for walking around; they're built for supposedly convenient navigation by car.

Drive throughs, large parking lots between buildings/strips, substandard sidewalks, a landscape that's not pleasant or outright hostile to navigate on foot.. when you don't actually spend any significant time experiencing a place at less than 20 miles per hour, it's pretty easy to not care about it. The disconnect between the human and the environment that's whirring by at 50mph becomes much more palpable, and much more consequential.

Psyclone

Cairo. I absolutely despise that place! Was forced to go there every summer when I was younger to visit grandparents and have hated it ever since.

Xero

It does though I hear it greatly over exaggerates the rain there lol
Haven't seen the show and live 45 minutes outside Seattle but everything seems to exaggerate the rain here. Particularly in volume at once. Normally it will just sprinkle not the monsoons movies usually show. That very rarely happens.

Five

Banned
Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Houston and Dallas are all amazing cities.

Fuck Anaheim though. Literally the only good thing about it is Disneyland.

Vitten

Don't like Brussels one bit. Supposed to be 'Europe's capitol' but apart from the nice historic central market square the entire place is just a disjointed, sprawled out rundown mess.. I always get depressed when I walk around there.

aerts1js

Oh wow :(
Pittsburgh is my dream city.
I am cuban/central American. Kinda killing my dreams here man

Edit: Pittsburgh resident on top of me: I plan on moving to Pittsburgh in 9 years when I finish out my military career, while in the military what degree should I strive for?
What I'm asking is basically, hows the career situation in Pittsburgh?

I live in Pittsburgh and cost of living is great and the city itself has a decent amount to do. I wish there was more diversity but it's been improving rapidly. It's without a doubt on the upswing. Now if only they expanded its trolley/subway system..

Jakten

I've been to quite a few of the major cities in Canada and the US and by far I'd have to say LA is the worst and most depressing place I have been. It's obvious that the city doesn't care for anyone who isn't rich and you can see clearly defined lines between where they do and don't care. So much poverty and so many of those people were mentally ill or clearly couldn't afford medical care. I was surprised by how hateful people could be towards the poor and openly racist as well. People drive like it's a destruction derby and I have no idea how people can drive there, I'm surprised I didn't die every time I was in a car. It also takes forever to get anywhere. Police get really pissed off at you for asking directions, definitely don't stop them if they are on a segway.

The first time I went I stayed in Orange County and within 10 minutes of checking into our hotel there was someone stalking my girlfriend in their car. We later stayed near the LA convention centre and witnessed a man waving a gun around, pants down grabbing his dick in the subway station and threatening to kill 3 teenage girls if they didn't have sex with him.

The best place I've ever been would probably be anywhere in Tokyo, the transit system is perfect and the amount of friendly and helpful people blew my mind. What I've seen of Boston is kind of nice though I feel like the roads were designed by 3 year old scribbling on a piece of paper, I was told they were designed by cows?? I live in Toronto and I enjoy it enough, it has it's problems though and is usually fairly boring.

Mahnmut

Pisa, Italy.
Excepted the tower, all the city around is crap. It's just an huge tourist trap where every bar/restaurant try to rob you with unannounced fees for disgusting and expensive food. People selling crappy sunglasses or bracelets stop you every 5 meter.

Don't go to Pisa.

Pisa, Italy.
Excepted the tower, all the city around is crap. It's just an huge tourist trap where every bar/restaurant try to rob you with unannounced fees for disgusting and expensive food. People selling crappy sunglasses or bracelets stop you every 5 meter.

Don't go to Pisa.
I disagree. The tower is neat, but the real highlights are the cathedral and the baptistery. They are both beautiful, especially inside. There's a bunch of good pictures in the Wikipedia article. Definitely worth seeing. The bolded part is true for pretty much every area with lots of tourists in Italy, unfortunately. Those restaurants are fairly easy to avoid though, if you just walk like 10 minutes away from the tourist attraction, the restaurants get a lot better in my experience.

I don't think I've ever been to a city I really disliked. When I was in Montreal, I was a litle bummed that my guest family lived out in the suburbs where going around with no car is kind of awful (buses come every 30 minutes) but the city itself was awesome.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Boston. The one time I went there in the 90's I was practically choking to death on the smog. I don't think I lasted 2 hours there, I had to leave. Totally unexpected. Was probably just a really bad day but I'll never go back.

eot

Banned
i hate Paris, it always lets me down.
Stockholm sucks, I live here.

Not a huge fan of Stockholm either, but it can be pretty in the summer.

Another one would be Aberdeen. The weather is gray enough as it is, did you have to make every single god damn house that colour as well?

t also highly depends where in a city you are talking about. A lot of people I know love Chicago, but what they actually love are some of the suburbs like 20-30 minutes outside of Chicago. That's not Chicago, dude.

I love Chicago, and I am also very anti-suburb. But I will admit my love of Chicago is only about half the city. Really depends where you live and travel. I don't go south of about 22nd often (and then, usually to hyde Park) and while I go West plenty, I still stay away from the bad neighborhoods.

On the topic, I've visited most major US cities, and I like most of them. Some exceptions:

Detroit -- just falling apart. I have a lot of history having lived in and near it a lot, I find it tragic.
Cleveland -- likewise, but without the personal history
Atlanta -- bland as all get out

And I like Boston, but god, I hate driving there.

I find San Francisco to be really overrated, but I wouldn't call it bad.

I'm legitimately shocked to see Ann Armor in this thread by the way. I haven't been back there much lately, but for a town its size, I always loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom