• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ClaDun: This is an RPG! |OT| -- This is a Thread

Volcynika

X6Yik.jpg

Summary

Cladun is a retro style dungeon crawler game. Players can create their own main character from scratch using a graphics editor and the dungeons that you will be adventuring in are randomly created for infinite replay value. You can even explore the dungeons with your friends, using the ad-hoc feature of the PSP.

Quick Details

Platform: PSP (Only PSN version available at launch)
Publisher: NIS America
Release Date: September 21st, 2010 (NA PSN), ??? [EU PSN]
Price: $19.99
Space Required: 185MB
Rating: E10+

Features

*Retro style dungeon crawler

*Powerful graphics editor

*Randomly created dungeons for infinite replay

*Team based combat system

*Extensive character customization using power up items

Images

QuXir.jpg
BPVD8.jpg

R5qEi.jpg
44mLo.jpg

oRj5J.jpg
bbH8d.jpg

Videos

Trailer

Reviews

Extreme Gamer - 8.3/10.0
PSX Extreme -- 8.0/10.0
Digital Chumps -- 8.4/10.0

Yaweee

kai3345 said:
So is this a make your own Rougelike or something?

ARPG dungeon crawler with Nippon Ichi-standard ridiculous customization and craploads of playable characters, it seems like. With an additional Random Dungeon to do on the side (the Ran-geon).

Thread title :lol

Bebpo's impressions in the Japanese release thread did a good job of almost selling me on the game, but I have enough to play for the moment, and since it is a PSN only release it isn't like I need to worry about it becoming less readily available. Will hopefully play it sometime though, the price is nice.

Bebpo

Banned
Game is really good, but the original JPN release was content-light. Still worth it, but figure around 15-25 hours instead of like 50-300 with other N1 games. The free DLC they released later on was really good and would've added another half of a dozen or dozen hours of addiction if it had been in the game originally. Wonder what the plan is for releasing that part in the US.

If they make a sequel that improves on the game mechanics a bit and mainly just fills it with loads and loads of content, it'll be pretty darn amazing. Too bad their next game is a tower defense psp-mini releasing next week for $12 instead.

Yeah, reading the old import thread I think if they can include the DLC at launch (either it's already patched into the US version of the game, or available day 1 as free DLC) it would make the game a lot better:
Bebpo said:
BUMP FOR HUGE GAME IMPROVING DLC

So the demo / FREE DLC came out a month or so back and I finally tried it.
...and it fixes one of the core issues of the game.

You know how the problem with the random dungeon was that you had to start at floor 1 each time with enemies at lvl.1 and slowly go through each floor and build up the enemies to high level to get good exp/money/drops?

Well with the newgeon (which is an infinite floor dungeon), the starting enemy level is based on your atk+def stat / 4. So for example my lvl.29 pudding with atk/def around 100 each started with enemies at lvl.44. In a short 2-3 floor run she jumped to lvl.37. I also got CRAZY GOOD LOOT of weapons/armor/shield better than anything I had the entire main game. The lvl.45-50 chickens drop really great stuff off the bat.

On top of this each time you finish a floor there is an extra random stat. FLOOR SKIP +/- "x". So you can get floor skip + 20 and instantly go from floor 1 -> 21. There also seem to be normal exits almost every other floor so you can leave whenever.

There's also a hitsuwaza/super move that you can get in the dungeon by fulfilling some requirement (I didn't stick around long enough to figure this out) and you lose it when you leave so it's just for use in the dungeon.

Overall these changes mean NO MORE WASTED TIME. Now you are always 100% of the time fighting enemies just above your level so you're always getting good xp/good money and GOOD LOOT.

Now the problem is that if you've already cleared the game what is the point of an infinite dungeon where you can level your characters and get better and better loot if there's no end? It's fun for a bit but there's just no point in the end.

But if you were just starting the game for the first time, this would make the game so much better. I don't know why they didn't include this from the start. If they release this game in the US with the newgeon included at the start, I think this would easily be an 8.5 or 9/10 game and one of the best rogues in recent memory. This DLC comes a bit too late for us early adopters, but for the new audience it really increases the quality of the game.

At the end of the day after playing all 3 big N1 games this year (Classic Dungeon, Zettai Hero, Prinny 2), I think Classic Dungeon, especially after this DLC, ended up being the best of them. While Zettai Hero has a much better story and much more content, the core gameplay in Zettai Hero is just kind of ...weak. Whereas the core gameplay in Classic Dungeon is a really good rogue crawler and the powering up your characters with the magic circle and artifact system is great. I think NIS would be missing a HUGE opportunity if they don't bring this out in the US and include the newgeon right off the bat.

Bebpo

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Wait, this is an ARPG? Not a rogue-like?

It's an ARPG rogue-like. Despite the age old rule that you have to be one or another, you can be both and that's what this game is.

It's the item world leveling of Disgaea x fast awesome Zelda arpg x Dungeon crawler x Soul Nomad style character/party growth systems x job system x optional multiplayer.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Bebpo said:
It's an ARPG rogue-like. Despite the age old rule that you have to be one or another, you can be both and that's what this game is.

It's the item world leveling of Disgaea x fast awesome Zelda arpg x Dungeon crawler x Soul Nomad style character/party growth systems x job system x optional multiplayer.

I meant rogue-like as in turn-based, not real time. The reason I ask is that there have been a few rogue-likes released in the past year that people on here refer to as ARPGs, when they are turn-based.

Lain

Volcynika said:
Release Date: September 21st, 2010 (NA PSN)

It's getting only released on the NA PSN? I thought it'd come out on the EU PSN as well. That's a bit annoying.

Volcynika

Lain said:
It's getting only released on the NA PSN? I thought it'd come out on the EU PSN as well. That's a bit annoying.

I was looking for details of a EU release on PSN, but I couldn't find anything last night. I'll look again later today after work.

sarcoa

Finally one of my reviews was out in time for an OT :D

Great game, I had no idea what it was when I got the dl code and was pleasantly surprised.

Tailzo

Volcynika said:
I was looking for details of a EU release on PSN, but I couldn't find anything last night. I'll look again later today after work.
If there is no EU PSn release
Herbspicesoy said:
So awesome this got localized. I'll wait for the UMD version.
I'll do like you'll do. (Only I'll import the US UMD version).

Lain

Volcynika said:

I went to look on the ClaDun forum, and, according to this post, NISA answered his e-mail informing him that it would hit the EU PSN as well (no Australian release apparently though, sucks for AUS).

Herbspicesoy said:
So awesome this got localized. I'll wait for the UMD version.

Tailzo said:
If there is no EU PSn release

I'll do like you'll do. (Only I'll import the US UMD version).

Augemitbutter said:
UMD version is mine!

There is no UMD version coming apparently.

Volcynika

Lain said:
I went to look on the ClaDun forum, and, according to this post, NISA answered his e-mail informing him that it would hit the EU PSN as well (no Australian release apparently though, sucks for AUS).

There is no UMD version coming apparently.

Ok I put that in the Release Date part of the OP, will have to look for a more solid date later, unless it's just next Wednesday.

jiien

Oh shit, I was wondering when that game would came out, and didn't connect ClaDun to the original Classic Dungeon title thing. Clicked on this thread for the cute title.

Yayyyyyyyy! I wants it!

Edit: Argh, wait for UMD, or buy as soon as possible...

Day one purchase for me.

I was really looking forward to playing this while I waited for Phantasy Star, but then this game got delayed and I'm going to have to somehow pull myself away from Phantasy Star in order to play ClaDun.

I think this will be the first game I end up having to purchase off PSN. I'm going to miss having a UMD.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is oddly enough my most anticipated game of the year. I was really worried at the beginning of the year that this wouldn't make it here, but now its so close. Now all i need is level 5 to get going with cardboard senki, and ill be happy as hell

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This is a day zero buy for me but this has to be the worst title ever for a video game (minus Massive Action Game LOLOL). I totally get that "Classic Dungeon" sucks, or at sucks in a way that it doesn't really brand itself well, but they could have at least just made something up instead of trying to shoehorn the original title into something different.

Yaweee

Bebpo said:
Game is really good, but the original JPN release was content-light. Still worth it, but figure around 15-25 hours instead of like 50-300 with other N1 games. The free DLC they released later on was really good and would've added another half of a dozen or dozen hours of addiction if it had been in the game originally. Wonder what the plan is for releasing that part in the US.

If they make a sequel that improves on the game mechanics a bit and mainly just fills it with loads and loads of content, it'll be pretty darn amazing. Too bad their next game is a tower defense psp-mini releasing next week for $12 instead.

Yeah, reading the old import thread I think if they can include the DLC at launch (either it's already patched into the US version of the game, or available day 1 as free DLC) it would make the game a lot better:

Well, that sucks. Looks like I'll be waiting on the game until there is word about this DLC for the US version.

I really had no idea what this was until now! I'm loving it! It looks great.

I'm glad it's only $20. I love what one review said how this game gives you more content for $20 than most $60 games! :lol

NIS does some really cool things...but sadly unappreciated. :(

Volcynika

Hm.

Speaking of, has anyone heard about how much space this game will take? Not sure if any reviewers or anything used the DD version or know about something like that.

DiscoJer

It's amusing, in the weekly (okay, more like bi-monthly) PSP2 rumor thread, people always bitch about UMDs...

Yet when a game actually comes out digital only, people want it on UMD.

bon

DiscoJer said:
It's amusing, in the weekly (okay, more like bi-monthly) PSP2 rumor thread, people always bitch about UMDs...

In a perfect world the PSP would use cartridges.
BUT WE DON'T LIVE IN A PERFECT WORLD

It's DD only? Well that takes care of that.

DiscoJer said:

You might actually have a point if you were talking about the exact same group of people, but since that isn't the case...

Ezalc said:
Why no UMD? But either way this game looks hilariously awesome, can't wait :D

Nippon Ichi said they would release it on UMD if some certain amount of people preorder, I think like 1000+ or something, but only a few hundred wound up actually preordering so DD onry it is.

Deeku

No aus psn release:(

No umd:(

rainking187 said:
I'll wait till they release the sequel and put them both on the same UMD or something. No physical release no buy.
Yep, looks like this is what I'll be doing.

Can`t wait for this! BTW the game is looking to be on the amazon PSN store (like most of NISA`s other releases) so that is a plus.

edit: and I love how you can choose between modern and classic OSTs. I think switching between the two could be fun and keep the game fresh.

john tv

"ClaDun: This is an RPG" is possibly the worst title ever conceived for a video game. Who hires people to do stuff like that? :/

john tv said:
"ClaDun: This is an RPG" is possibly the worst title ever conceived for a video game. Who hires people to do stuff like that? :/

You're asking this when the same company called a game "What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!?".

john tv said:

I think they`re going for the "its so stupid that people will point out how stupid it is, and BAM! free advertising!"

Also the way that NISA advertises their games has become increasingly weird for me. A lot of mentions of "SO MUCH GRINDING WOOO!" that I am not quite sure how to really interpret that.

Top Bottom