• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic games that are > newer games of the same genre

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NBA Jam T.E. > Any recently released basketball game
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! > any boxing game ever

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was thinking about this today: Did sidescrollers ever really evolve beyond Mario, Sonic or Megaman?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Guardian Heroes\Gunstar Heroes - Better than any action game, barring DMC3, that came after.

1MS_-_Streets_of_rage_2.jpg

USD

Oh wow. Everyone is this thread is wrong.

I'm serious. Sort of.

Ken Griffey Jr. on SNES, but then I've played one 3D baseball for a grand total of maybe five minutes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Firestorm said:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles > any platformer before it or after.
*Runs from Mario fans*

QFT.

Edit - What's with the dude in the top left hand corner of the MD cover of SoR2 above? They changed it so he's sitting on her leg or something? :lol

TIE Fighter is the best FPS ever, not any Wing Commander game (overrated games...)... :)

Agreed that Grim Fandango is the best adventure game ever, though. Lucasarts was by far the best in the industry, and when they stopped making adventure games, the whole genre's quality went down dramatically and has not come even close to recovering.

Alpha Centauri... Alpha Centauri is great, but I'd say that it's the second-best TBS ever, not the best. Civilization II is the better game... still though, those two are certainly better by far than anything else the genre has to offer, before or since.

Ken Griffey Jr. on SNES, but then I've played one 3D baseball for a grand total of maybe five minutes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hardball III for me (that is, a 2d baseball game that I consider the best ever in the category)... great game... despite having good depth for an early '90s baseball game, it uses just one button (and directional controls of course) for everything. I thought that that worked really well, so many other games make the controls needlessly complex...

Planescape: Torment > any western RPG released after it

"Torment > any RPG ever" would be more accurate. Baldur's Gate II isn't far behind though... but Torment is a special case. It's so far from being a normal RPG that just saying "it is great" doesn't really show how unique it is, or how amazing it was that even one such game was made, much less another...

Hmm... for some new stuff, I'll mention a few games I still consider the best in their genres, even though they are older...

-Starcraft -- my favorite game ever
-Zelda - Ocarina of Time -- best console game ever
-Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and its expansion Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith -- best FPS ever

Lapsed

Banned
8-bit/16-bit Shmups > Later Shmups

Shmups are a casual's game (since they were arcade games all the way back to Space Invaders). Now, weirdly, shmups are considered 'hardcore' which is true that they have become niche. But they are niche because the shmups of today have become unimaginative, with bosses and enemies that resemble geometric shapes rather than anything interesting, with focus more on bullet sprays than level design, and if you say these new shmups aren't 'fun', then you are teh 'weaksauce' and not a TRUE hardcore gamer (apparently someone who enjoys dodging bullet sprays and shooting geometric designs). A few shmups are really noteworthy today such as Ikaruga (but its killer gimmick of polarity had the downside of every enemy being in dull black or white).

3d didn't kill shmups. Shmups committed suicide when they started focusing on being 'hardcore' instead of remembering their 'casual' roots.

And why hasn't there been another shmup like Zaxxon? It was released back in 1982. Is twenty five years too long to expect a spiritual successor?

Lapsed said:
And why hasn't there been another shmup like Zaxxon? It was released back in 1982. Is twenty five years too long to expect a spiritual successor?

Zaxxon Motherbase 2000 on the 32X? ... that one didn't get good reviews though...

Lapsed said:

Shmups are a casual's game (since they were arcade games all the way back to Space Invaders). Now, weirdly, shmups are considered 'hardcore' which is true that they have become niche. But they are niche because the shmups of today have become unimaginative, with bosses and enemies that resemble geometric shapes rather than anything interesting, with focus more on bullet sprays than level design, and if you say these new shmups aren't 'fun', then you are teh 'weaksauce' and not a TRUE hardcore gamer (apparently someone who enjoys dodging bullet sprays and shooting geometric designs). A few shmups are really noteworthy today such as Ikaruga (but its killer gimmick of polarity had the downside of every enemy being in dull black or white).

I wonder what game you're referring to...:lol

Scullibundo said:
QFT.

Edit - What's with the dude in the top left hand corner of the MD cover of SoR2 above? They changed it so he's sitting on her leg or something? :lol

Those are actually two different people. Max is elbowing one thug in the face, while Blaze is tripping the same thug. I think that is supposed to be Max, who is not a playable character in the MS version, which is why he's only on the Gen/MD cover.

Tain

Shmups are a casual's game (since they were arcade games all the way back to Space Invaders). Now, weirdly, shmups are considered 'hardcore' which is true that they have become niche. But they are niche because the shmups of today have become unimaginative, with bosses and enemies that resemble geometric shapes rather than anything interesting, with focus more on bullet sprays than level design, and if you say these new shmups aren't 'fun', then you are teh 'weaksauce' and not a TRUE hardcore gamer (apparently someone who enjoys dodging bullet sprays and shooting geometric designs).

First, Gradius V, Border Down, and the like have as much of a focus on level design as the genre ever has, if not more so. Level design in vertical shooters has always been about enemy placement over environmental design, and that's the same today.

Second, while there's no denying that dense bullet patterns and tiny hitboxes are all the rage (and have been since the mid-90s), how is designing and placing a pattern any different than designing a level? It's not like these games are designed without any thought to what is thrown at you.

Third, where are all these abstract shooters outside of the "indie" scene? Kenta Cho has his thing, and you'll get a few games inspired by that (Clean Asia), but by and large modern shooters aren't a bunch of "enemies that resemble geometric shapes".

Fourth, anybody who uses any kind of casual <-> hardcore barometer is a tool in the first place.

TreIII

I still find myself thinking that Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X are probably the two best games that came along for the Blue Bomber.

To this day, I don't think any subsequent games in the series added all of the right touches, in all the right areas, save for these two games.

And I really don't count Zero, ZX, EXE and DASH in this light, because those are basically different games entirely...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oldschoolgamer said:
Super Mario World > any other platformer (especially Yoshi's Island, yeah, you heard me whacha gon do). It had the feather and more replayability than the rest.

Lapsed

Banned
Tain said:
Fourth, anybody who uses any kind of casual <-> hardcore barometer is a tool.

I'm using sales as my barometer. Shmups used to be extremely popular. There were tons of shmup clones. Now, shmups are rare and do not sell much. This is odd since 2d platformers are still around (now just moved to portables), and they still sell like hotcakes. But shmups like poor Gradius V and Final R-Type didn't set any sales records on fire. Why not? Gradius and other shmups did.

Usually when I find a shmup fan of today, they tend to spend hundreds of dollars importing certain games as well as spending well over a hundred just on a japanese joystick (!). Why? Is it because they believe they are 'hardcore'? Anyone throwing hundreds of dollars away like that would be closest to the persona of a 'tool'.

Shmups used to be mainstream. If shmups are so much better 'today', then why aren't they selling? Maybe you need to consider they are nowhere near as good as you want to believe.

Top Bottom