• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic games that are > newer games of the same genre

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yoshis Island > any 2D J&R
Banjo Kazooie > any 3D J&R
Zelda MM > any AA
F-Zero X > any racing game
Sonic 2 > any high speed J&R

Dalauz said:
destructables environments, 60 enemys on screen, cover system.

SpaceInvaders.jpg

:lol

tahrikmili said:
Uh no, Planescape was good, but Fallout 1/2 totally destroyed it.

Both of them came out before Torment, which means that even if you were right, which as much as I love Fallout, you're not, Durante is also right.

Durante

I love both Fallouts, and I'd kill for new wRPGs of such quality, but Torment is even better.

Also, regarding the earlier shmup discussion: bullet patterns are level design.

Joei

I'd say most 2d RPGs>3d RPGs

The early FF games, Suikoden 1 & 2, CT, Super Mario RPG, Square's other early work, and a handful of games I'm not mentioning are still noticably better than RPGs from the later PS and PS2 era on. Something about the genre that developers are losing touch with-

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
agent069 said:
Goldeneye / PD >>> every ****ing console FPS :(

You can't be serious. Have you gone back at all and tried to play these games? I used to think that Goldeneye was still something special and I plugged it in this past summer. It's has not aged well at all. There is nothing noteworthy about it at all. It's just a pile of yucky nostalgia.

R0nn

djtiesto said:
Super Metroid > Metroid Prime series
Super Mario World > 3D Mario
Mega Man 2 or 3 > any other Mega Man series that followed
Contra III > later Contra games
2D Zelda > 3D Zelda
FF4-6 > any later FF
Phantasy Star 2 > any other RPG

Wow, you must really hate modern gaming.

Anyway, here are mine:

StarCraft > any other RTS since

Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Sonic 3 & Knuckles > any other 2D platformer since

Grim Fandango, Monkey's Island Trilogy > any other classic adventure game since

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI > any jRPG since

Baldur's Gate II, Fallout, Planescape > any western RPG since

You can't be serious. Have you gone back at all and tried to play these games? I used to think that Goldeneye was still something special and I plugged it in this past summer. It's has not aged well at all. There is nothing noteworthy about it at all. It's just a pile of yucky nostalgia.

Sadly, he's far from the only one with nostalgia glasses on. I've always felt that Goldeneye is way overrated nowadays. It really hasn't aged well.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
R0nn said:
Sadly, he's far from the only one with nostalgia glasses on. I've always felt that Goldeneye is way overrated nowadays. It really hasn't aged well.

Yeah pretty much every N64 game other than the platformers and the Zeldas have not aged well enough to ever bring them up in conversation. Only system I have that it really hard to go back and play and not be slapped in the face repeatedly with ugliness. Heck the SNES games are still pretty enough to play, it's just the N64 that hurts my eyes.

Fredrik

In general, 2D action/platform games > 3D action/platform games. For many reasons, but mostly because of all the camera, control and framerate problem that the 3D games usually have.

Other than that I'll say that I like Zelda ALTTP more than any Zelda after that.

Apenheul said:
Ok, here goes:

Starcraft > any other RTS
Yoshi's Island level design > any other platformer's level design
Super Streetracer > any Mario Kart
Diablo 2 > any other cooperative adventure game (including Zombies ate my Neighbours)
Tetris Attack > any other fast puzzle game
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis > any other point & click adventure

If you're talking about "fast-paced puzzle games" as opposed to simply puzzle games, Puyo Puyo/Pop takes the crown.

Super Mario Bros. 3 > any other platform since, not to mention before
Super Mario Kart > all others in the series (though MK DS practically ties it)
Final Fantasy 6 > all others in the FF series (haven't tried 12 yet)
Mega Man 2 > all other MMs
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood > every other CV game
Zelda: Link's Awakening > every other Zelda game

Top Bottom