• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic games that are > newer games of the same genre

Tain

I'm using sales as my barometer.

It wasn't directed at you when talking about the general popularity of the games, but rather at anybody who would say things about being "weaksauce" or a "true hardcore gamer".

Shmups used to be mainstream. If shmups are so much better 'today', then why aren't they selling? Maybe you need to consider they are nowhere near as good as you want to believe.

Usually when I find a shmup fan of today, they tend to spend hundreds of dollars importing certain games as well as spending well over a hundred just on a japanese joystick (!). Why? Is it because they believe they are 'hardcore'? Anyone throwing hundreds of dollars away like that would be closest to the persona of a 'tool'.
Some of them probably import the games because they want to play them, and buy nice joysticks because they prefer the advantages over a d-pad, but that's only my guess. If you want to assume they're just trying to look hardcore, that they don't actually enjoy these games that they spend money and time on, and that they want to believe that the games are better than they are, that's cool.

Dalauz

sp0rsk said:
Guardian Heroes\Gunstar Heroes - Better than any action game, barring DMC3, that came after.
él sabe.

also

destructables environments, 60 enemys on screen, cover system.

SpaceInvaders.jpg

Gears of what?

Double Dragon, Streets Of Rage 2, Final Fight >>>> all this 3D crap they make they have shiity cameras, brown textures, unnecessary swearing, and bad controlls beat em ups of the 2000s

Night_Trekker said:
Of all existing and possible posts in this thread, this one contains the most truth.

My mom paid around $70 to get me that game on Christmas day.....

My friend slept over and we got through nearly 3/4 of the game that night....

Loved that game..

It got stolen though...

Avalon said:
Is it even better then it's own remake? :)

LOL, never played the remake...but I am speaking more in terms of the date it came out...

It blew away every other rpg I played around it's time....

By the time the remake came out...tons of good rpgs were out....but none had the impact that the sega cd version had on me.

Brashnir

alr1ghtstart said:
NBA Jam T.E. > Any recently released basketball game
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! > any boxing game ever

funny, those were the first two games that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Also:

Final Fantasy 3(US)/6 - Best JRPG ever.

Pikelet said:
:lol

Also, for all intents and purposes, tetris attack is far better than tetris.
I felt the same way until I got Tetris DS. Now I don't know what to think anymore.

Maybe Tetris Attack DS would change my mind. I NEED THAT

the classic Phantasy Star RPGs > any ver of Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Universe

90s 3D racing games in the arcade > most console racing games last gen and so far this gen
(framerate, baby)

side scrolling beat'em ups > recent beat em ups

classic horz and vert shmups > most recent shmups

Ra\/en

I know the gap is only like 4 years, but serious sam 1 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> serious sam 2. night and day. night and day.

that being said, my personal preferences always lead me to believe final fantasy IV and VI are > FF's after 8.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Mallrat83 said:
Damn straight man. Damn straight.

Tecmo needs to get a NFL '89 license (is that the year if came out) and make an awesome online version for the Wii VC. I have said this before but I would pay $50 for it because I will know that the best football game ever got just a little bit better.

Mallrat83

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Tecmo needs to get a NFL '89 license (is that the year if came out) and make an awesome online version for the Wii VC. I have said this before but I would pay $50 for it because I will know that the best football game ever got just a little bit better.
Whatever they have to do they should do it. EA has the exclusive rights though, those ****s, but I wouldn't mind if they just released it with generic teams and players, as long as they had a player and team edit function. But damn if TSB isn't one of the greatest games of all time.

Pokemon>Any game that has you catching,collecting,battling,raising game

Ultima>Every JRPG game

That strange Atari horror game>every survivor horror game

E.T.>Movie games

Apenheul

Ok, here goes:

Starcraft > any other RTS
Yoshi's Island level design > any other platformer's level design
Super Streetracer > any Mario Kart
Diablo 2 > any other cooperative adventure game (including Zombies ate my Neighbours)
Tetris Attack > any other fast puzzle game
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis > any other point & click adventure

XSamu

Banned
I love this thread, so many examples of how nostalgia messes with the mind, people can't think clearly anymore.

bigmit3737 said:
I really enjoyed 93, though it might be more due to the fact that that was the only one my cousin had.

NHL 94 was far better, mostly because of one-timers. That changed the whole dynamics of the series.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Super Metroid > Metroid Prime series
Super Mario World > 3D Mario
Mega Man 2 or 3 > any other Mega Man series that followed
Contra III > later Contra games
2D Zelda > 3D Zelda
FF4-6 > any later FF
Phantasy Star 2 > any other RPG

Fabiollo

Tie Fighter > any space sim
Monkey Island 2 > every point and click adventure