• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

Teuoxton

C'mon people with the he doesn't belong stuff. Who cares if he doesn't apparently belong. He's in now and it's absolutely amazing. FF has history with nintendo and who else would they pick aside from one of the most popular character to rep the series?

....No snark ofcourse.
I'd like to see Terra, along with an NX FFVI remake.
Never gonna happen though :(

That's too big of a risk right now for Square to invest in putting a game known on another platform that is selling well, and garnering a lot of Japanese support.

The only dedicated gaming platform in Japan selling "well" is the 3DS. PS4 and Wii U sales are pathetic, despite some occasionally spikes.

So Square has good reason to port their releases to new platforms, like they do with the new Dragon Quest. Since it is not impossible that NX gets a lot of 3DS/WiiU gamers on board on perhaps some new ones too.

Comet

Glad they went with a simpler style rather than what they've done to the character in the Kingdom Hearts series, *shudders*

Glad they went with a simpler style rather than what they've done to the character in the Kingdom Hearts series, *shudders*

I think he looks great, but I would of liked if they were able to make him more like what he did in FF7.

0v0JvhVl.jpg

tumblr_mw36r5t8ek1s4tqwco1_500.jpg

To be honest I prefer the more cartoonish look above than the semi-realistic style we have these days.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still curious what poster they'll do. Does FF7 have an official ensemble pick they can mock?

Also guys, ignore drive-by posting.

Son Of D

Still curious what poster they'll do. Does FF7 have an official ensemble pick they can mock?

Also guys, ignore drive-by posting.

No official art of the whole cast. Just the FFVII logo and their individual arts put together.

I'm thinking it could be a parody of this:

ff7wallpaper03_small.jpg

Just replace the Shinra building with the Smash cast or something.

Or a parody of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

With new artwork for Cloud and two other characters.

I got nothing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You know, one of the most fascinating and hilarious things to do after something's been announced (be it in the gaming or movie industry) is checking the reactions on Youtube. That shit was ridiculous awesome for (recent examples) FFVII Remake and final trailer for SW VII... but I was severely disappointed and even a bit frustrated when I noticed that almost every single one of the reactions on Youtube for this reveal felt so fucking fake.

When Bombing Run starts playing in the background, a real fan would instantly recognize what's about to happen - let alone the intro with the stars running simultaneously. Almost every reaction was "wait, what is this?" until it clearly said "FINAL FANTASY VII" which leads me to believe that every fucking person who 'explodes' at that moment is faking the reaction. How the hell could you be so excited for something that you clearly have no idea about?

And yes, in my book, if you don't recognize Bombing Run within the first 10 seconds while looking at one of the biggest-for-its-time-intro, you're not aware of how FFVII. You should be excited for playing a new character, yes - but please stop being excited for the sake of getting high view counts on Youtube.

Example #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqObhvbKjA8
Example #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67X6qoryEdc
Example #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiRRKKk0Mxk

And it goes on and on and on... ugh.

Edit: here's how a genuine, real 'fan' would react: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIIEG2Qm_DM Instantly recognizes the game the second the theme is played.

ffdgh

You know, one of the most fascinating and hilarious things to do after something's been announced (be it in the gaming or movie industry) is checking the reactions on Youtube. That shit was ridiculous awesome for (recent examples) FFVII Remake and final trailer for SW VII... but I was severely disappointed and even a bit frustrated when I noticed that almost every single one of the reactions on Youtube for this reveal felt so fucking fake.

When Bombing Run starts playing in the background, a real fan would instantly recognize what's about to happen - let alone the intro with the stars running simultaneously. Almost every reaction was "wait, what is this?" until it clearly said "FINAL FANTASY VII" which leads me to believe that every fucking person who 'explodes' at that moment is faking the reaction. How the hell could you be so excited for something when you clearly have no idea what FFVII is about?

And yes, in my book, if you don't recognize Bombing Run within the first 10 seconds while looking at the first moments of the intro, you're not aware of how 'big' this reveal really should be. Stop being excited for the sake of getting high view count on Youtube.

That's why I really liked max's reaction. The complete dumfounded/shocked look he had when he instantly reconized the first few notes was priceless.

When Bombing Run starts playing in the background, a real fan would instantly recognize what's about to happen - let alone the intro with the stars running simultaneously. Almost every reaction was "wait, what is this?" until it clearly said "FINAL FANTASY VII" which leads me to believe that every fucking person who 'explodes' at that moment is faking the reaction. How the hell could you be so excited for something that you clearly have no idea about?

And yes, in my book, if you don't recognize Bombing Run within the first 10 seconds while looking at one of the biggest-for-its-time-intro, you're not aware of how FFVII. You should be excited for playing a new character, yes - but please stop being excited for the sake of getting high view counts on Youtube.

I know there are a ton of fake reactions out there. And not every person is musically inclined to remember the bombing run tune. But I'm pretty sure many people out there are far more familiar with the magnitude of what transpired even if they're not fans of the game. And really, people get super excited for less so I'm not surprised at these reactions. It's like people expect others to not be excited for things because they aren't excited in the same way.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's why I really liked max's reaction. The complete dumfounded/shocked look he had when he instantly reconized the first few notes was priceless.
Hell yeah, this is the kind of expression that I love. You can just SENSE the feeling in his body, the way it should be.

Ōkami

I guess they could rework this poster for Smash artwork somehow.

The idea of having Cloud standing like in the american cover sounds really cool tho.

If Nomura is the one that makes the art hopefully he uses the original style instead of how he draws now.

I for one, can't stop smiling at the fact that Opening - Bombing Mission has been a part of two megaton game reveals in the span of a few months.

It's seriously the perfect track for reveals of this caliber.

Yoshichan

wmlk

I for one, can't stop smiling at the fact that Opening - Bombing Mission has been a part of two megaton game reveals in the span of a few months.

It's seriously the perfect track for reveals of this caliber.

It's perfect. It's so iconic, and there's nothing that comes close to sounding like it. FFVII's sound is so unique.

The Remake's trailer closed with it, and the Smash trailer opened with it.

Just want to say how good Cloud looks in that trailer, technically and aesthetically; the alt costume is great, too.

Nintendo's handling of Smash's characters has always been phenomenal--first-party or otherwise--and it makes think it's one of the big reasons why the series' success has endured. It's one in a long line of reasons why Smash is such an awesome and indomitable franchise.
I'm more dumbfounded that reaction videos are a thing.

Me too; we should make reaction videos about it.

Kudos to Nintendo for being able to surprise us all. I heard the music and my mouth dropped...followed by the most childlike grin of excitement I've had since...I was a child

Hylian7

Isn't Cloud in all the kingdom hearts games for ds and 3ds?
Yes, however it is still surprising to see him in.

It's kind of a similar scenario to Snake in Brawl. The biggest difference being that there was no hints dropped about this. We knew the thing about Snake intended to be in Melee.

I'm more dumbfounded that reaction videos are a thing.

Same but that's the world we live in

Reaction vids are only cool when there's a huge audience freaking out

Idk man, just one person going omg is just meh , maybe because I don't know them

I didn't know it was cloud until the FFVII x smash screen popped up , I had N64 growing up and missed FFVII and can't play it cause it's dated as hell, I've tried 3 different times over the years

But cloud is god , all my ps friends growing up talked so much about him and FF7, I was jelly

PBalfredo

Edit: here's how a genuine, real 'fan' would react: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIIEG2Qm_DM Instantly recognizes the game the second the theme is played.

I'm completely with you on this. If you're so much of a fan that Cloud in Smash makes you explode dramatically, but can't recognize Bombing Run, then that's preeeeeeetty fucking suspect. And it's not some obscure piece of musical trivia. It's incredibly iconic of FFVII and recently used in the FFVII-R announcement, so it's in recent memory to boot.

GamerJM

Banned

I've said this before but I didn't recognize the theme until around the time I saw "FF7," and I've played FF7. I don't really like FF7 very much though and think it's one of the weaker FF games, I just like the idea of Cloud being in Smash.

Yoshichan

I've said this before but I didn't recognize the theme until around the time I saw "FF7," and I've played FF7. I don't really like FF7 very much though and think it's one of the weaker FF games, I just like the idea of Cloud being in Smash.
My post is not saying people shouldn't be excited for Cloud in a Smash game - that's really good news! My post is specifically towards these reaction videos, where people are exploding out of joy when they obviously have no real affection towards the character(s) nor the game. You said it yourself, you don't like FFVII very much, which I can guarantee you is the reason why you didn't recognize the theme until the title was revealed. If the game was any special for you, you'd instantly recognize the game from the first couple of tunes. These people who record themselves show that they absolutely LOVE the game (hence the reaction), yet they can't even understand what it is (Metroid?! It's definitely Metroid!) until the logo shows up.

There's a big difference here between you and the people faking their reactions. Yours is reasonable, theirs aren't.

Genuine reactions are the absolute best, which is why I think Maximillian is the best. When FFVII:R was revealed, I was in literal denial for two or so weeks. I woke up almost every morning asking myself if the reveal really happened. During the actual reveal, I was spazzing out while I was bawling the crap out of my eyes, on top of my body suffocating myself because there was no room for breathing. Crazy? Yes. Passion and genuine? Yes.

Cipherr

Guys how cool is it that the FF7 music is ingrained in our generations memories moreso than these other tryhard kiddies AMIRITE!?

Didn't notice it in the first few notes? How lame, these guys aren't the real deal. Totally suspect gamers. You just aren't a real gamer, or a real fan of rpgs, or a real person if you don't instantly recognize the first notes of a tune you may not have heard for years and had no reason to suspect would be revealed for this particular game brehs. Your excitement is sooooo feigned.

Get on our level.

Yoshichan

Guys how cool is it that the FF7 music is ingrained in our generations memories moreso than these other tryhard kiddies AMIRITE!?

Didn't notice it in the first few notes? How lame, these guys aren't the real deal. Totally suspect gamers. You just aren't a real gamer, or a real fan of rpgs, or a real person if you don't instantly recognize the first notes of a tune you may not have heard for years and had no reason to suspect would be revealed for this particular game brehs.

Get on our level.
That is exactly what I'm trying to say with my posts.

Wait, no it isn't. I couldn't be any more clear with my few posts, so I congratulate you on failing my utmost simple point.

That is exactly what I'm trying to say with my posts.

Wait, no it isn't. Good job!

You commented on how some of these reaction video had have people not recognizing the FF7 theme immediately whilst praising the sole example of someone doing exactly that. What else are you implying?

Arkeband

Banned
Look at all those new Mega Man and Pacman games.

Oh, you mean like the Megaman Legacy Collection that came out for Wii U and is coming out on the 3DS alongside a Golden Mega Man amiibo?

The same Megaman Legacy Collection that featured in the most recent Nintendo Direct?!

249013-MegamanDerp-t.jpg

User1608

Banned
Personally, I recognized the music as being from FFVII, but then told myself immediately afterward I was being delusional and that there was no way Cloud was going to be in Smash. Lo and behold lol.

Yoshichan

You commented on how some of these reaction video didn't have people not recognizing the FF7 theme immediately whilst praising the sole example of someone doing exactly that. What else are you implying?
Do I have to repeat myself or is it some sort of language barrier hindering me from making a point here? Let me make this simple for you.

If you don't recognize the music or the fucking intro scene (both combined in this case), there is no fucking way you would gag out of excitement when the logo shows up. YOU MAY LIKE AND GET EXCITED OUT OF THE IDEA OF PLAYING CLOUD IN SMASH, but the extreme hyperbole that is being shown in some of these reaction videos - the same people who don't recognize the tune or the intro is clearly an indication of you just racking up the view-count and nothing else.

Ive played ffvii so many times and would listen to the soundtrack while sleeping for years and I guessed maybe it was final fantasy but your mind races waiting to see the logo. Cut them some slack for not knowing immediately

Cipherr

Ive played ffvii so many times and would listen to the soundtrack while sleeping for years and I guessed maybe it was final fantasy but your mind races waiting to see the logo. Cut them some slack for not knowing immediately

Nah, it's a glorious announcement that people are happy about. We can't have that. Let's find something to be outraged about instead.

Shit is ridiculous, and trying to paint a hurdle for excitement to a logo, as being the recognition of an 18 year old tune is just so ridiculous that I cannot fathom anyone taking such a stance, let alone feeling comfortable enough to actually try to defend it.

A cool game is getting a cool character. Everything is great and you still have people being total sourpusses and fellating themselves for being 'real' fans unlike these posers who TOTALLY could not be as excited as they appear.
v8XmJct.png

DedValve

Banned
Hell yeah, this is the kind of expression that I love. You can just SENSE the feeling in his body, the way it should be.

Should be? There are fans of cloud who never played ff7. It's called successful marketing after square enix marketed the fuck out of him post ff7.

You can still be a true fan of cloud the character or even ff7 by what it spawned. So what if some folks didn't immediately recognize the music? Does that make their hype any less valid? People still like cloud after ff7. Thats just a testament to how strong ff7 is.

Jubilee93

Banned

You can be hyped for something without ever playing the game or being an uber nerd about it.

I've never played halo for instance but I obviously know who master chief is and would be super hyped and shocked if he was announced for smash

Yoshichan

Wow, you would throw trash around, scream from the bottom of your lungs and cry if you saw a character, from a game which you've never played, be announced for a fighting game? And in this case, every reaction video on Youtube who reacted in such a way feel the same way as you then. I mean, clearly they have no real affection towards FFVII per se but rather Cloud because he was the poster guy for an entire generation. People tell me I react strongly to announcements - but those announcements are usually strongly related to some game that I've previously played and loved. But today I learnt that people can get crazy, absolute batshit-insane over a reveal in which you have no real affections towards. Interesting, to say the least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yes, however it is still surprising to see him in.

It's kind of a similar scenario to Snake in Brawl. The biggest difference being that there was no hints dropped about this. We knew the thing about Snake intended to be in Melee.
We didn't know about that until after the Brawl announcement.

Top Bottom