• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

Finally got around to watching the trailer - Cloud looks awesome and it seems like he might play similar to Ike which I'm a huge fan of. Plus the Midgar stage looks sweet. Dammit Sakurai, can't you make some bad content so I don't have to buy it? Geez, man.

PSqueak

Banned
Yeah, SuperBot and Sony tried.

I can see it being like

SE intern: "Sir, this reps from sony contacted us, they want Cloud in some sort smash bros ripoff, they say our characters are iconic to the PlayStation Brand."

SE CEO: "Did the game look good?"

SE intern:" eh...."

SE CEO: (Laughs) "Fuck no, we're passing on that!"

[Both Laugh]

SE CEO: "Though....hmmm this does give me an idea, get nintendo on the line, maybe we can work something out by the time the next smash bros rolls out..."

Revven

Yeah, SuperBot and Sony tried.

They didn't really try, though. If they did, SuperBot would have been given a bigger budget and Sony would have had more backing in general for the game. But instead it was put on a shoestring budget and the moment it started tanking sales-wise the studio they opened specifically for the game was closed and duties handed over to Sony Santa Monic for the rest of the DLC. But then the DLC was quietly canceled (after the two nearly complete characters were finished and released) and all support was pulled even before 6 months since the game had been out.

If they really honestly tried, they would have put the money down for Cloud, Snake, and Crash. But they didn't. It was not a passion project for them at all. It was not being treated like Smash does where they are given a huge budget to work with and get characters and make a great game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They didn't really try, though. If they did, SuperBot would have been given a bigger budget and Sony would have had more backing in general for the game. But instead it was put on a shoestring budget and the moment it started tanking sales-wise the studio they opened specifically for the game was closed and duties handed over to Sony Santa Monic for the rest of the DLC. But then the DLC was quietly canceled (after the two nearly complete characters were finished and released) and all support was pulled even before 6 months since the game had been out.

If they really honestly tried, they would have put the money down for Cloud, Snake, and Crash. But they didn't. It was not a passion project for them at all. It was not being treated like Smash does where they are given a huge budget to work with and get characters and make a great game.

I don't really know about it. From what I heard, they counter-offered SuperBot to use Lightning instead but it never panned out. You're right that low budget and lack of Sony supports hurt the product. Honestly, I don't think they would get it if they HAD a huge budget. It's more of trust issues since Playstation All Stars is pretty new IP for Sony and the companies are not being familiar with SuperBot as company itself. They probably want to wait and see how it goes first before they could hand it over to the company.

Sakurai and Smash Bros already proved their standing and why it's so good. That's why other companies are willing to trust them to do their IP the justice.

Tripon

Nintendo doesn't pay for 3rd party rep. They ask, and most of the time the other side says sure. Then they get into the nitty gritty of what the licensing entails.

Sometimes they don't get what they want. Like Snake in Smash 4. (That's just my speculation though.)

entremet

This is actually swaying me to get a WiiU.

No matter what your favorite FF is besides VII, no other character inclusion would have generated this sort of reaction - Cecil, WoL, Terra, etc would barely induce a fraction of the hype people are feeling right now.

I'd wait until NX plans are clarified regarding B/C and remasters, so e3.

I love the Wii U, but it's tracking to be the worse performing Nintendo home console and, while Nintendo has given it great support for a flop of a system, you may be able to play Wii U games or their equivalents on better hardware.

Ryce

Sakurai is a big name Japanese director with a pristine track record and a ton of industry friends and connections. Obviously companies like Capcom, Sega, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are going to trust him with their characters over a new, unproven Western studio. SuperBot isn't to blame for PlayStation All-Stars' lackluster roster. I just think Sony bit off more than they could chew by greenlighting the game in the first place.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nintendo doesn't pay for 3rd party rep. They ask, and most of the time the other side says sure. Then they get into the nitty gritty of what the licensing entails.

Sometimes they don't get what they want. Like Snake in Smash 4. (That's just my speculation though.)

After seeing Ryu and Cloud getting in the game, I started to believe that it's Konami who denied Snake's chance to be in the game (at least initial foster)

Monocle

So unless I'm reading this wrong it's okay to have last minute clones if they're female?
No, it's greatly preferable to have clones that are reasonably different from the fighter they're based on, like Lucas or Roy (Smash 4 version). The fact that Lucina is female is just a nice bonus. She's basically a gender swap option, which I have no problem with.

PSqueak

Banned
Except the fact that Sora is a Disney character. Not Square Enix.

You guys know that Nintendo lent some of their characters to make cameos in Wreck-it Ralph, and there are rumours of a bigger cameo for Mario on the sequel, it's not like Nintendo and Disney aren't avoiding each other.

They could even pull a Skylanders and make an Amiibo that doubles as an Infinity figure.

I think if there was another S-E character it would be a Dragon Quest character to "balance" it out. You'd think they'd go with a DQ character to help bolster popularity in the West. Eh, oh well.

I'm really wondering what they'll do for costumes. Will it just be 4 slight color alterations of each costume or are they saving the likes of KH Cloud as a surprise for next month's Smash presentation?

Ryce

I'm really wondering what they'll do for costumes. Will it just be 4 slight color alterations of each costume or are they saving the likes of KH Cloud as a surprise for next month's Smash presentation?
I'm thinking there will be seven color variants of the FFVII costume and that the Advent Children costume will be the eighth. Wario has four biker variants and four overalls variants since WarioWare and Wario Land/Mario spinoffs can be seen as equals, but an outfit based on a CG film probably isn't going to take up half of Cloud's costume real estate. It's more of a bonus costume in the vein of Shulk's swimsuit or Zero Suit Samus' ending outfit.

Clefargle

I can see it being like

SE intern: "Sir, this reps from sony contacted us, they want Cloud in some sort smash bros ripoff, they say our characters are iconic to the PlayStation Brand."

[Both Laugh]

SE CEO: "Though....hmmm this does give me an idea, get nintendo on the line, maybe we can work something out by the time the next smash bros rolls out..."

Omg yes this is what I had in mind

-Eddman-

I think the big reason why Nintendo got Cloud when the character has just a few small appearances on Nintendo hardware is because Sakurai is basically the Dave Grohl of the videogame industry. He's a nice guy with lots of big connections and understands the characters and franchises he's entrusted with.

At this point, Smash went beyond being a homage to Nintendo, I think it is a videogame history tribute right now. And as many of you have already said, I think the NX will get the FFVII remake at some point.

L Thammy

There was a theory proposed in a Gamespot video that Cloud might be in because the Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to NX. Is that possible? I thought Sony was involved and would have it on lockdown, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that on Wikipedia, at least. And we know that NX will have major Square Enix support in the way of Dragon Quest XI.

I can see it being like

[Both Laugh]

I laughed out loud. This is now my headcanon about this.

At least you can recognize yours.

"Shame you can't". Are we done with the high-school comebacks? Also, please define "manufactured hype", because it sounds suspiciously like "hype for thing I don't like" in this case.

TDLink

There was a theory proposed in a Gamespot video that Cloud might be in because the Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to NX. Is that possible? I thought Sony was involved and would have it on lockdown, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that on Wikipedia, at least. And we know that NX will have major Square Enix support in the way of Dragon Quest XI.

They said the FF7 remake is "coming first to PS4", which implies it's coming to something else also. So it's very possible. Most of Square's upcoming games are in that situation actually. They're very vague about what platforms their stuff is coming to. I think Nier 2 is the only game they said was PS4 exclusive.

Jawmuncher

Sony just has limited exclusivity. Much like how Tomb Raider is on Xbox One right now and other systems later. So there is a chance of FF7R on NX.

The new Tomb Raider is Xbox One only right now? I completely forgot about that.

I'm really eager for some gameplay footage. I really want to know how that frog spell works.

I don't know that I buy your implication that Nintendo paid for Ryu and Cloud.

It's probably best to apply Occam's Razor here and say the simplest answer is likely the right one. Square-Enix and Capcom had no confidence in PSASBR to be a good game while Melee and Brawl are two of the best selling fighting games of all time. Sony came knocking on their doors saying they were going to take a swing at the king and third parties assumed they were going to miss.

KingBroly

Banned
Not a full fledged alt, but I do expect a dark haired Cloud, though. Happens with almost all the Smash characters, such as the Daisy palette for Peach and Lucina's many call backs.

I personally think it's cool that we already have Cloud and Lightning in Smash. ;P

PSASBR just missed a lot of soul, ya know? There's not really much celebration of Playstation going on in there. It's simply a Smash clone, and lacks a lot of the flair that Smash Bros. has accumulated over the years, like with Trophies, music, etc. Smash clones have been done before, but unless you put a pedigree behind it, you're not getting close the Madness that is Sakurai.

Megatron

Eh, including snake, crash and cloud wouldn't have made that a great game. The gameplay wasn't there.

thefro

Sony just has limited exclusivity. Much like how Tomb Raider is on Xbox One right now and other systems later. So there is a chance of FF7R on NX.

I don't really see why they wouldn't assuming that the NX console is at least on par with the PS4 power-wise. They're going to want to recoup their development budget and make as much money as they can off the remake.

I don't know that I buy your implication that Nintendo paid for Ryu and Cloud.

It's probably best to apply Occam's Razor here and say the simplest answer is likely the right one. Square-Enix and Capcom had no confidence in PSASBR to be a good game while Melee and Brawl are two of the best selling fighting games of all time. Sony came knocking on their doors saying they were going to take a swing at the king and third parties assumed they were going to miss.

With Cloud being a DLC character I would assume S-E gets a healthy cut of $$ from each sale. That and promoting FF to the Smash audience makes it a no-brainer for them.

Mik317

Eh, including snake, crash and cloud wouldn't have made that a great game. The gameplay wasn't there.

yep.

They tried a bit too hard to not be a full smash clone and missed what made these games great. The super only kill thing made most of the matches feel pointless

diaspora

I laughed out loud. This is now my headcanon about this.

"Shame you can't". Are we done with the high-school comebacks? Also, please define "manufactured hype", because it sounds suspiciously like "hype for thing I don't like" in this case.

Nobody said anything about manufactured hype? I said this generated hype- as in it got people hyped, and it did. I'm expressing my disappointment in the inclusion of a middling character in a great franchise littered with characters I'd prefer. Unless you'd prefer I just ballwash Cloud?

R0ckman

I want to say that I doubt any common characters tossed around on the boards as "poll winners" will be DLC. I'm really thinking that's what the costumes were for.

Looking at the DLC choices, I'm assuming they will add characters that they KNOW will fly off the digital shelves. Characters cut, like Ice Climbers and Wolf. Extremely popular characters like Ryu and Cloud. Unfortunately second and third rate characters are not DLC material. Even if someone like Isaac won the poll, Sakurai is not obligated to add him, it just means that the he read a lot of messages about the character.

Yeah, characters like King K. Rool and Isaac and what not are characters that would be added in a main game release. DLC characters need to be big draws in and of themselves--big time icons like Ryu and Cloud, and veterans who already have a foot in the door Smash popularity wise (who also have the added benefit of being relatively easy to make in comparison to newcomers). Characters like Palutena and Robin would have never been DLC. Expecting characters like Dixie Kong or whatever for upcoming DLC is just asking for disappointment.

L Thammy

I imagine that a lot of people who entered something into the Smash ballot are not the sort of people who post on message boards, meaning that characters who are more mainstream get more actual entries versus more insular message board polls.

Yeah, characters like King K. Rool and Isaac and what not are characters that would be added in a main game release. DLC characters need to be big draws in and of themselves--big time icons like Ryu and Cloud, and veterans who already have a foot in the door Smash popularity wise (who also have the added benefit of being relatively easy to make in comparison to newcomers). Characters like Palutena and Robin would have never been DLC. Expecting characters like Dixie Kong or whatever for upcoming DLC is just asking for disappointment.

So that begs the question: What will be the two characters shown off in December? Wolf is likely to be one of them, but would the last spot go to another newcomer or veteran (Snake?), and if its a newcomer, who could it be?

I'm just going off of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119400

They said the FF7 remake is "coming first to PS4", which implies it's coming to something else also. So it's very possible. Most of Square's upcoming games are in that situation actually. They're very vague about what platforms their stuff is coming to. I think Nier 2 is the only game they said was PS4 exclusive.
it's more likely XB1 or PC lol

i think cloud could be a show of confidence in nx, if it is a healthy platform, or it could lead to nothing in regards to ffvii

it's a multiplatform world but let's not get ahead of ourselves with that being enough for proper nx support, i got burnt with the wii u already

Top Bottom