• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

B_Bech

Wow, you would throw trash around, scream from the bottom of your lungs and cry if you saw a character, from a game which you've never played, be announced for a fighting game? And in this case, every reaction video on Youtube who reacted in such a way feel the same way as you then. I mean, clearly they have no real affection towards FFVII per se but rather Cloud because he was the poster guy for an entire generation. People tell me I react strongly to announcements - but those announcements are usually strongly related to some game that I've previously played and loved. But today I learnt that people can get crazy, absolute batshit-insane over a reveal in which you have no real affections towards. Interesting, to say the least.

I 100% agree with you on this, but Etika--the guy I'm assuming you're referring to-- is famous for doing this exact kind of thing. It's his persona, clearly. I'm no fan of his, but he gets people hyped up for Smash. I don't see the harm in it. I thought it was funny he called the Advent Children Alt "Zak's costume."

JCX

Wow, you would throw trash around, scream from the bottom of your lungs and cry if you saw a character, from a game which you've never played, be announced for a fighting game? And in this case, every reaction video on Youtube who reacted in such a way feel the same way as you then. I mean, clearly they have no real affection towards FFVII per se but rather Cloud because he was the poster guy for an entire generation. People tell me I react strongly to announcements - but those announcements are usually strongly related to some game that I've previously played and loved. But today I learnt that people can get crazy, absolute batshit-insane over a reveal in which you have no real affections towards. Interesting, to say the least.

You don't get to be the judge of what people are and are not allowed to be hyped for. FF7 came out almost 20 years ago. Someone who played it back then may not have remembered every song from the game, yet they may have enjoyed it just as much as you, the True FF7 Fan, did.

But even beyond that, people were hyped because Cloud is a gaming icon. Cloud is Final Fantasy to people who aren't hardcore gamers. That's why he's in Smash. Could some YouTubers ham it up more for the camera? Maybe, but why does that even matter? Let people express joy at one of the biggest, most unexpected gaming announcements of the year.

Anth0ny

fucking dying at that simpsons comic. holy shit haha

Also, I've never played FFVII (though I do own it and I should really get around to playing it now), but I recognized the music and ESPECIALLY recognized just how fucking huge it is that he's a playable character in Smash. He's been one of the dream characters since Snake was revealed and third party characters became possible. He's also one of the most iconic video game characters, period. I don't think you need to be a hardcore FF fan to understand the gravity of this reveal.

But it definitely helps. Max had the best reaction out of anyone, easily :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You don't get to be the judge of what people are and are not allowed to be hyped for.
And I never did. READ MY POST. I am talking about the extent of excitement. Read:
YOU MAY LIKE AND GET EXCITED OUT OF THE IDEA OF PLAYING CLOUD IN SMASH, but the extreme hyperbole that is being shown in some of these reaction videos - the same people who don't recognize the tune or the intro is clearly an indication of you just racking up the view-count and nothing else.
It is physically impossible to show such expressions (such as exploding out of your seat and crying ofhype) if it takes you all the way to the logo to understand it's FF-related.
yet they may have enjoyed it just as much as you, the True FF7 Fan, did.
No, this is wrong. A person who played the game 20 years ago and never related to the game after that point can never, in any way, shape or form be as much of a fan as someone who praises the game as the holy grail of video game.
But even beyond that, people were hyped because Cloud is a gaming icon. Cloud is Final Fantasy to people who aren't hardcore gamers. That's why he's in Smash. Could some YouTubers ham it up more for the camera? Maybe, but why does that even matter?
This, I have just now started to understand and yes - you might be right.
Let people express joy at one of the biggest, most unexpected gaming announcements of the year.
If this is considered one of the biggest announcements of the year, then the scale must be enormous considering FFVII:R and Shenmue III was revealed this year as well.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
And I never did. READ MY POST. I am talking about the extent of excitement. Read:

It is physically impossible to show such expressions (such as exploding out of your seat and crying ofhype) if it takes you all the way to the logo to understand it's FF-related.

No, this is wrong. A person who played the game 20 years ago and never related to the game after that point can never, in any way, shape or form be as much of a fan as someone who praises the game as the holy grail of video game.

This, I have just now started to understand and yes - you might be right.

If this is considered one of the biggest announcements of the year, then the scale must be enormous considering FFVII:R and Shenmue III was revealed this year as well.

Well its pretty enormous. Having Cloud joining in one of the biggest games this gen with so many video game icons is indeed that big.

L Thammy

Final Fantasy VII is nearly twenty years old now. Maybe people played the game when they were much younger, are immensely nostalgic for it, but have not played it recently enough that they can remember the intro to a particular song from the game.

But I don't know, I'm not a physicist. I don't know if it's possible or not.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Final Fantasy VII is nearly twenty years old now. Maybe people played the game when they were much younger, are immensely nostalgic for it, but have not played it recently enough that they can remember the intro to a particular song from the game.

But I don't know, I'm not a physicist. I don't know if it's possible or not.

Apparently you cant be a "true" fan and you are just faking the excitement if you cannot remember all the soundtracks for the near 2 decade game

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ōkami;185415134 said:
I guess they could rework this poster for Smash artwork somehow.

The idea of having Cloud standing like in the american cover sounds really cool tho.

If Nomura is the one that makes the art hopefully he uses the original style instead of how he draws now.

I'm kinda curious how Nomura would draw Nintendo characters. I hope he doesn't limit them to Palutena, Rosalina, Shulk, etc. I want to see his take on Yoshi, Bowser, Fox, etc.

It really is crazy how this all ended up lol

Ahahahah oh god

This is actually swaying me to get a WiiU.

No matter what your favorite FF is besides VII, no other character inclusion would have generated this sort of reaction - Cecil, WoL, Terra, etc would barely induce a fraction of the hype people are feeling right now.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I dont mind Cloud being in it however for a sec there I was hoping to see Mallow and Geno towards the end..

Yagami_Sama

Not the best option out there, Final Fantasy VII is not a game that when associate with a Nintendo platform. But Cloud is damn popular.
Cecil, Kain,Celes, Kefka, a generic Black Mage, a Moogle even a Chocobo would be a better choice.

I must say, that for a few seconds I thought that it would be Lightning the new character.

But I believe that this means one thing. Final Fantasy VII for Nintendo 64 confirmed.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm kinda curious how Nomura would draw Nintendo characters. I hope he doesn't limit them to Palutena, Rosalina, Shulk, etc. I want to see his take on Yoshi, Bowser, Fox, etc.

Ahahahah oh god

I actually really want to see a nomura drawn link

Misuta

You should hear him do a non-bishie, tough guy voice. It was surprising him to voice Dorulumon, like holy shit not even his Polar Bear voice was deep and manly!

I can't believe he voiced Tentomon because I always associate him with bishie types, like you said.

Haganeren

Not the best option out there, Final Fantasy VII is not a game that when associate with a Nintendo platform. But Cloud is damn popular.
Cecil, Kain,Celes, Kefka, a generic Black Mage, a Moogle even a Chocobo would be a better choice.

I must say, that for a few seconds I thought that it would be Lightning the new character.

But I believe that this means one thing. Final Fantasy VII for Nintendo 64 confirmed.

Kain, Kefka would have been stupid in my opinion. It would be like having Dr Willy or Knuckles without Sonic or Megaman.
The generic Black/White Mage was already done in Mario Basketball on DS and it wasn't that interesting to see. I suspect it would have been the same for Moogle and Chocobo.

I think i would have preferred Terra in a way, Cecil would have been a lot less interesting than her as a character, maybe butz with lot of job... But only Final Fantasy VI is as popular as the VII so yeah, only Terra can really stand by Cloud sides... And actually not really as Terra isn't REALLY the heroin of Final Fantasy VI.

By process of elimination, there is no better choice than Cloud. He also represent the fall of Nintendo during the 32/64 bits area which is something awesome to see on Smash as a reconciliation, it's like Sonic but even more powerful in my opinion. Lightning isn't a symbol like him.

It's really not that bad.

FStubbs

Kain, Kefka would have been stupid in my opinion. It would be like having Dr Willy or Knuckles without Sonic or Megaman.
The generic Black/White Mage was already done in Mario Basketball on DS and it wasn't that interesting to see. I suspect it would have been the same for Moogle and Chocobo.

I think i would have preferred Terra in a way, Cecil would have been a lot less interesting than her as a character, maybe butz with lot of job... But only Final Fantasy VI is as popular as the VII so yeah, only Terra can really stand by Cloud sides... And actually not really as Terra isn't REALLY the heroin of Final Fantasy VI.

By process of elimination, there is no better choice than Cloud. He also represent the fall of Nintendo during the 32/64 bits area which is something awesome to see on Smash as a reconciliation, it's like Sonic but even more powerful in my opinion. Lightning isn't a symbol like him.

It's really not that bad.

Thing is, do you know what fits better from Square-Enix's catalog? A Dragon Quest character. Dragon Quest has been more associated with Nintendo than FF in the last few years - especially Cloud of all characters.

It could be a reconciliation - which IMO would include FF7 remake being brought over to NX alongside the others. And maybe FF15 as well.

I think he looks great, but I would of liked if they were able to make him more like what he did in FF7.

0v0JvhVl.jpg

tumblr_mw36r5t8ek1s4tqwco1_500.jpg

To be honest I prefer the more cartoonish look above than the semi-realistic style we have these days.

Me too.
the "animated" face fits better with smash bros.

Haganeren

Thing is, do you know what fits better from Square-Enix's catalog? A Dragon Quest character. Dragon Quest has been more associated with Nintendo than FF in the last few years - especially Cloud of all characters.

It could be a reconciliation - which IMO would include FF7 remake being brought over to NX alongside the others. And maybe FF15 as well.

I'm personally more or less certain FFVII remake on NX is something Square Enix have in mind but maybe didn't took their decision right now. (I'm sure it would be out on PC too actually)

And Dragon Quest isn't really part of the Nintendo History internationaly. Oh, yeah, in Japan it have the BIGGEST history ever, of course. But Japan is only one part and Smash talk to the whole world so i can understand the idea of going with Final Fantasy.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I was listening to a Japanese person watching the direct and at first they asked themselves why isn't it DQ; they quickly realized by themselves that DQ is not as popular worldwide.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
People arguing whichever character more linked to Nintendo's history deserves more to be in Smash than Cloud completely and utterly miss the point in his inclusion in the first place. He was included precisely because he has next to nothing to do with Nintendo and has a massive profile, and this appeals to people with low interest in Smash's roster. He raises the profile of the game likely leading to more sales from people far less included to buy smash and will sell a lot as a doc character. You can't do that with another obvious Nintendo linked character.

There is litterally no other character from a Japanese company for this. He is L itterally the apex. Smash has been going for over a decade it's not surprising they have decided to change it up a bit

People, we need to drop the whole "Nintendo association" thing when it comes to third parties.

It reminds me of people who claim that Simon Belmont should of gotten in over Snake because he's closer to Nintendo or whatever, or how Shantae and Shovel Knight should get in just because they have games on Nintendo's consoles. At this point, it really isn't about that. What really matters is how iconic and noteworthy the third party character is on its own. I know Dragon Quest is popular and iconic in Japan, but that's the thing, in Japan. Cloud is popular and iconic worldwide.

Let's just say, if there were ever a Mount Rushmore of gaming, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake and Cloud would have a good shot at being featured along with Mario.

Ansatz

People, we need to drop the whole "Nintendo association" thing when it comes to third parties.

It reminds me of people who claim that Simon Belmont should of gotten in over Snake because he's closer to Nintendo or whatever, or how Shantae and Shovel Knight should get in just because they have games on Nintendo's consoles. At this point, it really isn't about that. What really matters is how iconic and noteworthy the third party character is on its own. I know Dragon Quest is popular and iconic in Japan, but that's the thing, in Japan. Cloud is popular and iconic worldwide.

Let's just say, if there were ever a Mount Rushmore of gaming, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake and Cloud would have a good shot at being featured along with Mario.

This isn't only about bringing the most iconic and beloved characters to the franchise, otherwise we'd have someone representing Konami. Without Konami there is no such thing as a complete gaming's "mount rushmore"

This isn't only about bringing the most iconic and beloved characters to the franchise, otherwise we'd have someone representing Konami. Without Konami there is no such thing as a complete gaming's "mount rushmore"

Losing Snake was a shame, I agree. I hope he can come back at the last second before Smash's DLC wraps up.

Village

Actually they are missing a lot of things besides konami to make a mount rush morehappen.

Kusagari

The most obvious choice has always been Sora because he's from a huge franchise and actually on Nintendo systems.

Firemind

lol no way snake belongs anywhere near there

lol no way snake belongs anywhere near there

...pardon?

Metal Gear is a popular and long running series that has sold over 40 million copies and MGS is one of the cornerstones of the PSX right along FF7. That game revolutionized AAA gaming as we know it.

I'm willing to wager MGS is more influential and popular than, say, Castlevania.

Firemind

...pardon?

Metal Gear is a popular and long running series that has sold over 40 million copies and MGS is one of the cornerstones of the PSX right along FF7. That game revolutionized AAA gaming as we know it.

I'm willing to wager MGS is more influential and popular than, say, Castlevania.
of course it's more popular than castlevania as the latter is a dead series.

my point is snake is no way in the top four most iconic video game characters.

Don't worry chum, I'm with you, I also thought it was odd as fuck how many reaction videos there were where no one knew exactly what was coming just from the the start of the music.

People want to argue over what makes people a "true fan" or not, and I don't really care about that.

my point is snake is no way in the top four most iconic video game characters.

Okay well, probably not, but to be honest I wouldn't say Mega Man is top four material either. When you think about it he's probably the least overall significant third party in Smash. He's just popular and iconic. More than I can say for someone like Shovel Knight.

Still, Mega Man and Snake are both miles above characters like Klonoa, Geno or Bayonetta so that was kinda my point to begin with.

diaspora

Blah, this generated hype, but I can think of at least a dozen better FF characters I would rather have had from better FF games.

Blah, this generated hype, but I can think of at least a dozen better FF characters I would rather have had from better FF games.

FF7 might not be your favorite, but it's ultimately still the game that resonated the most with people, and Cloud is the most recognizable character from that series. That's what matters.

Top Bottom