• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

Camjo-Z

He doesn't belong, according to smash tradition. He bucks tradition. Anything is possible now. He opened the door for anything, it's fantastic.

He doesn't really buck any traditions, does he? He's appeared on a Nintendo console before, he's originally from a video game, and he's undeniably as iconic as the other third-party characters. He might be percieved as a Sony character but he technically fits all the criteria.

Phd_In_Owning

Neo Member
Makes me want to jump back in and grab other dlc too. Are online matches still 2 minutes timed? Does the tournament mode fix/alleviate this? I can't stand 2 minutes timed 2v2 or FFA and I just want to jump in without looking for friend lobby's.

Son Of D

He doesn't really buck any traditions, does he? He's appeared on a Nintendo console before, he's originally from a video game, and he's undeniably as iconic as the other third-party characters. He might be percieved as a Sony character but he technically fits all the criteria.

Well all of his Nintendo appearances have been cameos (KH) or crossover ensemble casts (Theatrhythm and Explorers). Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu and Mega Man are at least the main character of their Nintendo games.

Mory Dunz

Well all of his Nintendo appearances have been cameos (KH) or crossover ensemble casts (Theatrhythm and Explorers). Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu and Mega Man are at least the main character of their Nintendo games.

Haven't most of Cloud's appearances in games been camoes? At this point?

If not for the announced FF7R, he would basically be a cameo machine.

In fact, even with the announcement, he is a cameo machine.
His clothes get thrown around everywhere.

Sponge

Banned
Banjo will never make it into a Smash game. He's not an iconic Nintendo character.

Never say never. Nintendo and Microsoft have still been doing deals as of this year. DK64 on the eShop, the rumored Minecraft Wii U port. Keep in mind Banjo used to be partially owned by Nintendo.

fhqwhgads

Since this thread is the big speculation thread, I'll repost my thoughts from another thread about K Rool, so people know the reasoning behind the demand. Like any character he's got a reason to be in but far too many people brush him off as a dumb choice.

1.Would make up for how DK got the short end of the stick in representation (The infamous 8 versions of the same song issue amongst other things)
2.Another Super Heavyweight to compliment the others (Plus buffs it back up to Brawl having 6 S.Heavies), speaking of
3.The closest thing we'll get to Snake at this rate (Knowing Konami). A Super Heavyweight with a focus on zoning and a strong set of moves is what people feel like K Rool would be like, with stuff like the crown toss, cannonballs, electric and spike traps.
4.A general lack of villains in the game. Without Wolf there's only Bowser, Bowser Jr and Ganon with a bunch of Anti Heros/Anti Villians (Wario, Mewtwo, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Dark Pit).

jstripes

Banned
But they've already played ball before just this year?

DK64 Wii U still has a fully working copy of Jetpac in it, an IP currently fully owned by Microsoft. So some kind of deal had to happen there.

We're talking about a flagship system-selling title, not an easter egg in an archive title on Virtual Console.

Microsoft's not going to sign-off on their IP going into a game that drives people to buy a competing console. That would make as much sense as Nintendo allowing Samus to be in Halo 5.

Maxrunner

We're talking about a flagship system-selling title, not an easter egg in an archive title on Virtual Console.

Microsoft's not going to sign-off on their IP going into a game that drives people to buy a competing console. That would make as much sense as Nintendo allowing Samus to be in Halo 5.
That goês both ways. If MS launches a banjo game its pratically free advetising

Sponge

Banned

I'd agree with you if Phil Spencer didn't already admit he's okay with Banjo getting in Smash. The ball is in Nintendo's court. I'm sure Phil is eager to get Banjo advertisement if he can. Considering his last game was Nuts & Bolts, I would call him a flagship series for Microsoft. They are kind of just sitting on him besides rereleasing his games.

jstripes

Banned
I'd agree with you if Phil Spencer didn't already admit he's okay with Banjo getting in Smash. The ball is in Nintendo's court. I'm sure Phil is eager to get Banjo advertisement if he can. Considering his last game was Nuts & Bolts, I would call him a flagship series for Microsoft. They are kind of just sitting on him besides rereleasing his games.

Didn't know about that. Interesting.

Never thought of cloud as a Sony character, rather an anti-Nintendo one.

Berordn

Phil can say whatever he wants to look good on the internet, it doesn't make him the decision maker on who gets to license their IPs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not sure how I should feel about this.

Normally, it would be kind of a cool thing, one that I would be totally excited about. But the problem is that a third party character being incorporated into a series like Smash was an Earth shattering event. But by this point, we've already had tons of characters. It waters down the prestige of the series. If everyone's invited into a club, then that cllub's no longer special.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Normally, it would be kind of a cool thing, one that I would be totally excited about. But the problem is that a third party character being incorporated into a series like Smash was an Earth shattering event. But by this point, we've already had tons of characters. It waters down the prestige of the series. If everyone's invited into a club, then that cllub's no longer special.

cliff_by_fragmented_shadows-d65zl0q.gif

Sponge

Banned
Phil can say whatever he wants to look good on the internet, it doesn't make him the decision maker on who gets to license their IPs.

Oh of course. It's still incredibly unlikely to happen. Going from impossible to unlikely is admittedly a big step for Banjo though.

Mory Dunz

Characters that shaped their respective genres are watering down the prestiege?

wat

and "everyone invited"?
Kind of an exaggeration don't you think.

It's been Sonic, Pac-man, Mega-man, Cloud. edit:Ryu

5 people. Hardly everyone.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Characters that shaped their respective genres are watering down the prestiege?

wat

and "everyone invited"?
Kind of an exaggeration don't you think.

It's been Sonic, Pac-man, Mega-man, Cloud.

4 people. Hardly everyone.

you forgot ryu and snake

N.Grim

Not everyone, only the best.

Fandangox

All the third party franchises included in smash are incredibly popular and pretty much have had one game that helped define or boost the popularity of their respective genres, and overall are all influential. The most popular characters of these franchises are in Smash, it's hardly a "everyone's invited" situation.

Arkeband

Banned
Banjo has 2 N64 games and 2 GBA games, all of which hes the star of.

Cloud has less than that and hes in Smash. Getting tired of this honestly.

FF7R won't be Playstation exclusive (maybe timed, who knows), so if the NX is up to the task, a port wouldn't be out of the cards, and I pointed out a page ago or so that in the same Nintendo Direct they were promoting FF Explorers, which Cloud is a cameo/summon in.

People forget that Smash is an amazing place for Nintendo to drive interest and cross-promote. Nintendo has a predominantly younger audience, they see these characters and they become legendary to them. Kids will want to play FF7R on their Wii U with their Cloud Amiibo while using it to unlock something in their FF Explorers game.

They don't only add characters because of cross promotion otherwise R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch wouldn't be a thing, but it's certainly a consideration, and moreso for DLC characters. DLC is added revenue, the basic roster is the basic roster and sometimes just needs warm bodies to fill it out. You leave out the best ones so people throw their wallets at you after they already bought the game.

Oh, left out my point. Unless there are new Banjo games on the horizon, cross promotion of Banjo-Kazooie makes less sense than Cloud.

Son Of D

How does adding five third party characters water down prestige?

Sonic: Icon of the 90s and Mario's rival during the Sega/Nintendo era.
Mega Man: Iconic platformer on the NES. Nostalgic and popular.
Pac-Man: Pop culture icon. Honestly Mario may be the only character in Smash more known him.
Ryu: Mr. Fighting Games. Best selling third party game on SNES. Arguably the face of Capcom.
Cloud: The face of Final Fantasy (arguably of Square). His game is still the best selling non-Pokemon RPG.

I mean, it's not like they're adding characters like DmC Dante or Dead Space guy.

Azure J

Personally, I loved yesterday's reveal so much just for being the sledgehammer to the collective's carefully wrought narratives about what we have left to expect for this entry and the Smash series as a whole. Cloud is a name that was able to get me excited just off of the idea alone. I barely have any experience with the FF franchise as a whole (something I hope to rectify soon; where dem current gen and onward re-releases and remasters at SE?) but the simple idea that something like this could happen just blew all the walls down and really reinvigorated my ability to be surprised at what could come next.

With that out of the way, Cloud by all means is a character that works in the context of Smash, silly dialogue about "deservedness" and "but Sony" aside, just because of how much of a cultural phenomenon he is, how much backstory there is to the character and FFVII's history as one of those pivotal moments in gaming and how much he means to an entire style/genre of gaming. He is very much "Mr. JRPG" and just like the other third parties included is an immediately recognizable face of gaming.

This entire post out of the way, I now want Sakurai to finish assembling the Captain Planet of video games with a far out of left field Solid Snake re-inclusion. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Konami (minus its fuckery), & Square collabs in one game series... What universe am I living in? :lol

butalala

I can't believe people are unhappy that Cloud is being added to this game. Yeah, it's a bit weird, but it's not like it's some kind of injustice. Get some perspective.

Jubilee93

Banned
Banjo will never make it into a Smash game. He's not an iconic Nintendo character.

Lol cause cloud and snake and pacman are iconic nintendo characters. It doesnt matter. The statement that is has to be a nintendo character is regurgitated trash that just isnt true

No lie if Banjo & Kazooie were in Smash Bros. I wouldn't complain for anything else. I will forget that Ice Climbers weren't included, I wouldn't care if Wonder Red missed his chance. Banjo would just seal it for me.

Jubilee93

Banned
How does adding five third party characters water down prestige?

Sonic: Icon of the 90s and Mario's rival during the Sega/Nintendo era.
Mega Man: Iconic platformer on the NES. Nostalgic and popular.
Pac-Man: Pop culture icon. Honestly Mario may be the only character in Smash more known him.
Ryu: Mr. Fighting Games. Best selling third party game on SNES. Arguably the face of Capcom.
Cloud: The face of Final Fantasy (arguably of Square). His game is still the best selling non-Pokemon RPG.

I mean, it's not like they're adding characters like DmC Dante or Dead Space guy.

When dark pit and dr. mario are in the club it's prestigious and cool, but when Ryu and cloud come in it's lame hahaha

Monocle

Don't like the character model's face. Don't like Smash 4.

It's a good move for some cash. A bit shameful otherwise.
Shameful? Lol?

Is Cloud's inclusion more or less shameful than Ryu's, or about the same? Should Nintendo be ashamed of their words as well as their deeds, or just this specific deed?

When dark pit and dr. mario are in the club it's prestigious and cool, but when Ryu and cloud come in it's lame hahaha
Nobody likes Dark Pit. Scientific consensus holds that his slot is wasted. Now that's shameful.

Eteric Rice

Taking out the wishful thinking of NX FF7 Remake and all that, this inclusion (and the whole direct, actually, with the Dragon Quests and FFE) simply means that Nintendo and Square Enix are keeping on their good business terms.

If we're talking about FF7R on NX, the probability of that happening didn't increase or decrease as it relies on many incentives, business and technical, that we know nothing about.

I think simply due to DQXI accidentally being slipped out means that an NX version is possible. I think SE will be permanantly out of the exclusives business after FFXV.

Lunar15

I just realized, don't they normally put up a website page and have some artwork done by a main series artist for newcomers?

Was kind of curious what a Nomura-ized smash poster would look like.

Top Bottom