• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Money :Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

Dunlop

CoLaN said:
Except that microsoft console came on the market with faulty hardware, but it seems no one cares anymore. Yes, one died on me and i will never let that pass. You pay less, you get less.
Are you replying to a question here?

MS rushed to the market with shit quality control, it cost them a billion dollars but they have since righted the wrong. If they were not the first one out they would have been trounced, so the move proved to be brilliant.

It's the fact that Sony could not even capitalize on the RRoD PR disaster that is even more sad.

just tray

Banned
Third place isn't so bad. Especially when it gives you the chance to play MGS4,Killzone 2,etc. This will be the best third place finish ever for a console if you ask me.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Tideas said:
who told you it isn't?

Yeah

"The worldwide demand for an Xbox 360 version (of MGS4) is quite high, and it is something we are currently looking in to."
- Konami PR Yoshitaka Arai

Just in case you are not informed on this too, Tekken 6 is coming to 360 as well, not to mention FF13..

you seem out of the loop so drop the shield.

djkimothy

DeaconKnowledge said:
The most important part of this article is when he correctly states that sales of the PS3 are DOWN YoY. Cry butthurt and fanboy all you want, but the plain truth is that people aren't buying the console.

Yah that's the take home message of the article, regardless of some inaccurate claims of High def. And it's pretty much true.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The most important part of this article is when he correctly states that sales of the PS3 are DOWN YoY. Cry butthurt and fanboy all you want, but the plain truth is that people aren't buying the console.

People aren't bringing up his accuracies because they're um..uh accurate. Its bad reporting, and thats what people are complaining about. I can only speak for myself but this article is very off the mark. It's like saying President Bush's approval rating is at an all time low (accurate) because he secretly is having an affair. (inaccurate) people aren't arguing the facts. They're arguing the horrible reporting and blatant lack of research done by this "journalist".

snatches

djkimothy said:
Yah that's the take home message of the article, regardless of some inaccurate claims of High def. And it's pretty much true.

Really though you have to view the statement about IQ as related to distance from the set. It is just as relative as the size of screen.

NeoUltima

I am :lol so hard at this article. He should have just kept to rehashing the NPD data, his personal opinions are pretty funny(especially #2 and somewhat #3). "Flop", "No must have exclusives" Sounds like CNN hired a guy off of gamefaqs or something. :lol

VGChampion said:
I've been playing Blu-Ray's on my 37" HDTV recently and have no problem seeing a difference. Normally I'm on a 50" and it does look better but that's because that one is a 1080p. Maybe these journalists should do some research themselves before writing stuff down.

When I worked for a newspaper I always thought the most cliched criticism to any article was the old "why don't you do your research" line (followed closely by "shame on you for ...").

Not everyone is a technogeek. For the most part, the guy's right. The average person likely doesn't see the difference. Hell, the average person has SD content piped into their new TV and they thing it's "high definition" because it's a flat-panel TV. :lol

Slayer-33 said:
Yeah

"The worldwide demand for an Xbox 360 version (of MGS4) is quite high, and it is something we are currently looking in to."

Just in case you are not informed on this too, Tekken 6 is coming to 360 as well, not to mention FF13..

so is the 360 MGS4 a good port? I only ask since you seemed to have played it

sensi97

Slayer-33 said:
Yeah

"The original quote has been pulled. There's a new quote from a different Konami PR person (named Chiaki Nakajima) that doesn't even refer to the Xbox 360, but just about how the company was going multi-plat from now on and hoped to take advantage of each platform. Make of this what you will."

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
snatches said:
http://www.wisemouseboy.com/gallery2/d/3790-2/internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

That image probably applies more to you than me, unless you really think I'm the only one who emails journalists about misleading and inaccurate articles.

Zoe

snatches said:
Really though you have to view the statement about IQ as related to distance from the set. It is just as relative as the size of screen.

I'm close to 10 feet from my 32". This guy is blind as a bat if he even knows a shred of what he's talking about.

Sysgen

just tray said:
Third place isn't so bad. Especially when it gives you the chance to play MGS4,Killzone 2,etc. This will be the best third place finish ever for a console if you ask me.

They need you at the next stock holders meeting.

RadarScope1 said:
When I worked for a newspaper I always thought the most cliched criticism to any article was the old "why don't you do your research" line (followed closely by "shame on you for ...").

Not everyone is a technogeek. For the most part, the guy's right. The average person likely doesn't see the difference. Hell, the average person has SD content piped into their new TV and they thing it's "high definition" because it's a flat-panel TV. :lol

just because people don't know if the journalist is telling the truth or not does not warrant the journalist to write about something he obviously doesn't know about. Anyone can copy and paste NPD numbers to an editorial of misinformation, that doesn't mean its ok to do.

CoLaN

Dunlop said:
Are you replying to a question here?

MS rushed to the market with shit quality control, it cost them a billion dollars but they have since righted the wrong. If they were not the first one out they would have been trounced, so the move proved to be brilliant.

It's the fact that Sony could not even capitalize on the RRoD PR disaster that is even more sad.

My point is from a consumer point of view... and i think we all are consumers (unless someone here got shares in Sony or Microsoft) - so i can't understand why that move was "brilliant" since it gave me an headcache, a bad day, and i had to lose my time with the support.

I just pointed that MS rushed in the market with a faulty console, and while Sony made really bad decisions and moves they didn't use cheap tactics.

That comes from someone who owned the first xbox, a 360 and now a Ps3

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
MorisUkunRasik said:
so is the 360 MGS4 a good port? I only ask since you seemed to have played it

When did I ever say I played it or implied that I did?

rofl as if I care, I would never buy a PS3 just for a single game or two (and that being games I really only wanted FF13 & MGS4). It's up to them if they want to port it, I'll gladly buy it if they do otherwise their loss.

You guys seem to be a bit rabid today :lol

djkimothy

snatches said:

Yah I know, what he wrote was really bad wrt to that.

But the article touches on an important point, the PS3 isn't selling and it appears that Sony doesn't care.

snatches

GSG Flash said:
That image probably applies more to you than me, unless you really think I'm the only one who emails journalists about misleading and inaccurate articles.

nuh uh yer the one in the picture

just tray said:
This will be the best third place finish ever for a console if you ask me.

No, that would be the Gamecube.

PS3 seems alright though, since most HD games are released for both 360 and PS3. From a game standpoint I could easily see myself owning a PS3 instead of a 360.

Ponn

Banned
djkimothy said:

But the article touches on an important point, the PS3 isn't selling and it appears that Sony doesn't care.

It's eerily similar to how they have dealt with the PSP. The only difference in that regard is with the PS3 they are getting multiplatform versions of games with the 360.

Slayer-33 said:
When did I ever say I played it or implied that I did?

rofl as if I care, I would never buy a PS3 just for a single game or two. It's up to them if they want to port it, I'll gladly buy it if they do otherwise their loss.

You guys seem to be a bit rabid today :lol

I was asking to make you look foolish. Since according to you MGS4 isn't an exclusive. Please tell us ill informed people where else we can play MGS4.

Slayer-33 said:
Who told you MGS 4 is still exclusive?

Hammerhai said:
2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

That's an exaggeration, but still gets to the heart of why Blu-Ray adoption has been slower than expected. I have seen so many side-by-side comparisons and I'm just utterly unimpressed with Blu-Ray. It seems to be a 10% boost in image quality (at least, on a TV the size of mine) and that's nowhere near enough motivation to buy a new machine and start over with my library.

I realize the hard-core videophiles and tech-obsessed types will scream and cry and run off all the stats about lines of resolution, etc, just as when you say you're unimpressed by Gears of War's endless gray graphics they scream about how many pixel shaders it has. I don't doubt that THEY can see the difference. The average person cannot.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
djkimothy said:

Of course they care. But they also care about profit, which is why you probably won't see a price cut until after the fiscal year ends.

thuway

Sony as much as I love Uncharted / LBP - I totally agree with the article.

Where the fuck is the pack-in bluetooth headset?
Where the fuck is the HDMI / component cable?
Where is my GOD damn cross game voice chat?
Why isn't the fucking clock fixed?

I am no fanboy, I just like good games, but the decisions to allocate all those resources to Home, instead of a XMB version game launching service is still beyond me.

I swear March better see this:

PS3 - 349.99
Bluetooth Headset
Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Motorstorm 2
HDMI cable
Software emulation
FIXED FIRMWARE THAT includes cross game voice chat and a fucking working clock

or die in a fire.

snatches

David H Wong said:
That's an exaggeration, but still gets to the heart of why Blu-Ray adoption has been slower than expected. I have seen so many side-by-side comparisons and I'm just utterly unimpressed with Blu-Ray. It seems to be a 10% boost in image quality (at least, on a TV the size of mine) and that's nowhere near enough motivation to buy a new machine and start over with my library.

I realize the hard-core videophiles and tech-obsessed types will scream and cry and run off all the stats about lines of resolution, etc, just as when you say you're unimpressed by Gears of War's endless gray graphics they scream about how many pixel shaders it has. I don't doubt that THEY can see the difference. The average person cannot.

Mr Wong you are way to level headed and mature to be posting in this thread.

Good day sir.

Dunlop

CoLaN said:
so i can't understand why that move was "brilliant" since it gave me an headcache, a bad day, and i had to lose my time with the support.

Brilliant for MS to gain the marketshare they have right now, pain in the ass for us (I sent one back as well). It was a billion dollar lesson that I am sure they will not repeat.

Sony just really doesn't have a lot of room to manouver, their eggs are all in the BD wagon.

If BD picks up steam then it will not all be doom and gloom

MorisUkunRasik said:
People aren't bringing up his accuracies because they're um..uh accurate. Its bad reporting, and thats what people are complaining about. I can only speak for myself but this article is very off the mark. It's like saying President Bush's approval rating is at an all time low (accurate) because he secretly is having an affair. (inaccurate) people aren't arguing the facts. They're arguing the horrible reporting and blatant lack of research done by this "journalist".

..And in doing so effectively tiptoeing around what is true in the article.

Forsete

Gold Member
chespace said:
Umm, no. That would be you, the Sony fan responding to a CNN article in this thread.

:lol There you are.

Not the slightest. PS3 was doomed in 2006, then it calmed down during 2007-2008 upto now. I bet we will see a similar development this time.

Btw, are you saying the bolded part does not have a sent of burthurtedness? He sounds just like a random snacktard on TXB. :lol

MorisUkunRasik said:
just because people don't know if the journalist is telling the truth or not does not warrant the journalist to write about something he obviously doesn't know about. Anyone can copy and paste NPD numbers to an editorial of misinformation, that doesn't mean its ok to do.

And what I'm saying is - what he's saying about Blu-Ray and the public interest/quality boost over dvd IS the truth. Post #74 has it right.

Clinton514

This I think it's safe to conclude, with all of these 'facts' going around the thread...
every year is the year of the PS3 and every year the PS3 is doomed.

Everyone wins.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
MorisUkunRasik said:
I was asking to make you look foolish. Since according to you MGS4 isn't an exclusive. Please tell us ill informed people where else we can play MGS4.

You won't make me look foolish fortunately, only an idiot would assume that MGS 4 wont be ported one way or another to 360, all I made is an assumption. One that will most likely HAPPEN, people can make that conclusion based on other factors. When you see Ace Combat, DMC, Tekken 6, & Final Fantasy, franchises synonymous with the Sony brand being ported to 360 you can make an educated guess and assume MGS 4 will be ported to 360.

Kojima might have said that MGS 4 will never come to 360 at one point but fortunately he doesn't have the final word, Konami and the shareholders do.

Makes sense doesn't it?

DeaconKnowledge said:
..And in doing so effectively tiptoeing around what is true in the article.

I'm not tip toeing, I totally agree that sony are messing up big time this gen and have so for a couple years now. But to shrug off all of the bad reporting in the article just becuase he knows the NPD numbers seems very stupid to me. Just because the overall message is right doesn't mean it should be published.

I would be complaining if the word "PS3" had been replaced with "360" and the article was about how the wii is outselling it. of course some of the key point would have to be changed like the blu ray argument, but bad reporting it bad reporting and no one should be putting a shield in front of it.

djkimothy

Kagari said:
Of course they care. But they also care about profit, which is why you probably won't see a price cut until after the fiscal year ends.

I'm pretty sure you're right, and that they're waiting for something to happen to trigger a price cut. Or they have some long term plan I'm not privy with.

But look at the strides Microsoft and Nintendo has made since 2 years ago. I don't usually read sales age threads but I peered in the last NPD thread and the numbers are just embarrassing for Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
NPD numbers wrapped in commentary are still just NPD numbers.. I don't know, but I thought there were at least a couple of threads for this month's NPD rolling around. If you posted this one because of the attached sensationalism..well..I'm not really sure if that's enough reason :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Slayer-33 said:
You won't make me look foolish fortunately, only an idiot would assume that MGS 4 wont be ported one way or another to 360, all I made is an assumption. One that will most likely HAPPEN, people can make that conclusion based on other factors. When you see Ace Combat, DMC, Tekken 6, & Final Fantasy, franchises synonymous with the Sony brand being ported to 360 you can make an educated guess and assume MGS 4 will be ported to 360.

Kojima might have said that MGS 4 will never come to 360 at one point but fortunately he doesn't have the final word, Konami and the shareholders do.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Why don't you just stop until it gets officially announced?

Slayer-33 said:

Makes sense doesn't it?

so what are you playing MGS4 on right now that isn't a PS3?

as far as I know and everyone else knows its exclusive, whether it will be 6 months or a year from now doesn't effect today, tomorrow or yesterday at all.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I'm not tip toeing, I totally agree that sony are messing up big time this gen and have so for a couple years now. But to shrug off all of the bad reporting in the article just becuase he knows the NPD numbers seems very stupid to me. Just because the overall message is right doesn't mean it should be published.

I would be complaining if the word "PS3" had been replaced with "360" and the article was about how the wii is outselling it. of course some of the key point would have to be changed like the blu ray argument, but bad reporting it bad reporting and no one should be putting a shield in front of it.

I'm not saying that that should happen.

I just find it funny that the vast majority in here rode to talk about what's wrong about the article instead of what's objective, particularly when the thread title is "Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet" and the resulting article is correct in asserting that.

Tideas

Banned
Slayer-33 said:

Makes sense doesn't it?

isn't this type of post ban-able? i remember the mods saying something about this before

Gaborn

David H Wong said:

Pretty much dead on. Is there a difference? absolutely, but enough for the average person to justify the cost of a blu ray player? Heck no, prices are STILL too high for most people, though they're falling rapidly (except for the PS3 which brings us back to the point...).

Some people want to say that a "difference" means that you NEED a blu-ray player. You don't, the question is, is that difference enough in a consumer's mind to justify upgrading. For some people sure, it is. For most other people? Not so much, yet.

Top Bottom