• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Money :Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Tideas said:
sounds like someoen's a little butthurt at other people getting butthurt

How's your butt?

Anyway, I agree the article is sensationalist in its tone but you really can't argue with the decline YOY and folks who read CNN Money will prob take that fact home with them.

Sony should cut $100 bucks off their console ASAP if they want to survive this recession.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
David H Wong said:
That's an exaggeration, but still gets to the heart of why Blu-Ray adoption has been slower than expected. I have seen so many side-by-side comparisons and I'm just utterly unimpressed with Blu-Ray. It seems to be a 10% boost in image quality (at least, on a TV the size of mine) and that's nowhere near enough motivation to buy a new machine and start over with my library.

I realize the hard-core videophiles and tech-obsessed types will scream and cry and run off all the stats about lines of resolution, etc, just as when you say you're unimpressed by Gears of War's endless gray graphics they scream about how many pixel shaders it has. I don't doubt that THEY can see the difference. The average person cannot.

What? 10% image quality difference? WTF?

on a 24" TV it's still night and day. For shits and giggles my friend and I started to compare Troy DVD and Blu-ray on these TVs (same model)... there really was no comparison.

You are blind if you can't see the difference, outright fucking blind. Even saying it's not a major difference is an easy qualification for throwing someone into an asylum

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Duke Togo said:
The bickering always starts on page 2 (if you roll 50 post style), why is that?

The bickering always starts on page 1
of cnn!!!

Am I doin it rite

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm not saying that that should happen.

I just find it funny that the vast majority in here rode to talk about what's wrong about the article instead of what's objective, particularly when the thread title is "Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet" and the resulting article is correct in asserting that.

it is funny, and sad. If it had been written better, I would be applauding the journalists efforts to bring this to a wider audience, but its not and I have to question why CNN would have this on their site at all.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Tideas said:
isn't this type of post ban-able? i remember the mods saying something about this before

Because what I said clearly is flame bait huh? It's a educated response, why are you so mad? Shhhhesh..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
djkimothy said:
I'm pretty sure you're right, and that they're waiting for something to happen to trigger a price cut. Or they have some long term plan I'm not privy with.

But look at the strides Microsoft and Nintendo has made since 2 years ago. I don't usually read sales age threads but I peered in the last NPD thread and the numbers are just embarrassing for Sony.

I'm pretty sure WW that they've been outpacing the 360's launch alignment, if that makes sense. Not to mention they both sold very close in the US all year up until October/November... so really, all the doom and gloom talk is a vast exaggeration fueled by console warriors. People proclaiming PS3 will die are ignorant. It won't. The 360 won't die either and neither will the Wii. All three will exist with the Wii having a 50% market share and the other two fighting over the rest. The battle for second place is silly at this point with what, 17 million PS3s out there now and 22.5 million 360s? The next few years are just going to be a giant slap fight between Sony and Microsoft.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Slayer-33 said:
You won't make me look foolish fortunately, only an idiot would assume that MGS 4 wont be ported one way or another to 360, all I made is an assumption. One that will most likely HAPPEN, people can make that conclusion based on other factors. When you see Ace Combat, DMC, Tekken 6, & Final Fantasy, franchises synonymous with the Sony brand being ported to 360 you can make an educated guess and assume MGS 4 will be ported to 360.

Kojima might have said that MGS 4 will never come to 360 at one point but fortunately he doesn't have the final word, Konami and the shareholders do.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Now that's some hardcore grasping at straws. Konami has never stated that MGS4 is coming to the 360 ever, and just because a 3rd party PS3 game is popular doesn't mean it's the 360's right to have it. If it is definitely coming to the 360 as you wish it is, why doesn't Konami come out and announce it?

snatches

DopeyFish said:
What? 10% image quality difference? WTF?

on a 24" TV it's still night and day. For shits and giggles my friend and I started to compare Troy DVD and Blu-ray on these TVs (same model)... there really was no comparison.

You are blind if you can't see the difference, outright fucking blind.

the point is even if there is a difference most people out there DO NOT CARE.

you know these people, they are Wii buyers. seriously you are sounding elitist.

Gaborn

snatches said:

Seriously, the people arguing about this are the same type that would turn their nose up at a burger at some fast food joint because it's not free range high quality beef that costs $5 a pound. Saying there is a difference in quality does not justify the cost to most consumers, if it does to you then great, but that doesn't mean consumers that disagree are wrong.

I'm thoroughly convinced at this point that if blu ray takes over it will be a combination of people who truly think blu ray offers a better experience that warrants the price tag (which will be a small percentage) and people simply keepin' up with the Jones' (which will be the biggest piece of the pie.) The biggest hurdle for the blu ray camp is the current economic state.

Ajax

Banned
chespace said:
Umm, no. That would be you, the Sony fan responding to a CNN article in this thread.

Or it could be you, the sold out "journalist" who eventually went to work for his real employer and now spends he's days trolling or defending trolls

snatches said:

Exactly. The guy didn't say there wasn't a difference, he's saying Joe Average Wal-Mart doesn't see it and doesn't really care to spend $400 to get it.

Zoe

TANKFARM said:
http://www.carltonbale.com/home-theater/home-theater-calculator/

Open that excel sheet and go to the tab "Distance Resolution Chart"

He said the difference between DVD and BD. Not the difference between screen resolution.

And if you're trying to say I'm not sitting at an ideal distance, it's what works for my setup.

RadarScope1 said:
Exactly. The guy didn't say there wasn't a difference, he's saying Joe Average Wal-Mart doesn't see it and doesn't really care to spend $400 to get it.

article said:
The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

His statement seems pretty clear to me.

EktorPR

The fact that

-LittleBigPlanet
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
-Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
-Resistance 1 & 2
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Warhawk
-wipEout HD
-Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
-PixelJunk Monsters & Eden

are all incredible pieces of software and exclusive to the PS3 should mean that the console does have a respectable games lineup.

Pfft, "mediocre" :lol

Farnack

Banned
Hammerhai said:
The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
It sounds like this guy is a poorly paid journalist.

I could see a huge difference between DVD and Bluray at 24 inch. That or he's goddamn blind.

bardia said:
So Halo, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, and Fable II is the only reason the XBOX 360 has a good library then right? Because almost every other great Xbox game is ON the PS3 + their own exclusives :lol :lol :lol

snatches

Gaborn said:
Seriously, the people arguing about this are the same type that would turn their nose up at a burger at some fast food joint because it's not free range high quality beef that costs $5 a pound. Saying there is a difference in quality does not justify the cost to most consumers, if it does to you then great, but that doesn't mean consumers that disagree are wrong.

exactly

I know this has been quoted a dozen of times but:

2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

:lol Jesus Christ! I own from 26 inch all the way to 50 and this statement is fucking absurd! :lol Dumb Eric!

Karma said:
This will help sell the cheaper 360 more than the PS3.

I was thinking adverts along the lines of the Madden/Mirrors Edge variety, where they end with a 2 second flashing logo of only either 360 or PS3. If MS is smart they already have a deal in the works for such ads, if Sony is smart (which they aren't) they're doing their best to stop such ads and putting themselves in a position to have those ads.

Nafai1123

Banned
Guy Legend said:
I almost posted this thread yesterday, but I thought the article was too shitty to warrant discussion.

Too bad not everyone has your good judgment.

Seriously, the only true part of the article is the YoY drop. The reasons are fucking ridiculous.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I still don't understand how people can say there is very little difference between DVD and B-ray.

I have a 37" Samsung and I've watched both dvd's and Blu Ray films and I am constantly blown away by the difference. I can't watch regular dvd's anymore because of it.

EktorPR said:
The fact that

-LittleBigPlanet
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
-Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
-Resistance 1 & 2
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Warhawk
-wipEout HD
-Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
-PixelJunk Monsters & Eden

are all incredible pieces of software and exclusive to the PS3 should mean that the console does have a respectable games lineup.

Pfft, "mediocre" :lol

Again, you have to consider the scope of an article written by CNN -- it's a mainstream focus. For the average PS2 owner who plays GTA and Madden, many of these games aren't going to jump out at them. To a lot of them LBP looks like an old Mario game, Resistance is just another shooter and they're not even aware they can download games like WHD and PJ games.

I'm not saying there are no exclusives for gamers who are paying attention -- I'm a PS3 owner and there are plenty of exclusives. I'm saying, consider the audience for mainstream articles like this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
shagg_187 said:
:lol Jesus Christ! I own from 26 inch all the way to 50 and this statement is fucking absurd! :lol Dumb Eric!

I think this pretty much defines you as atypical.

I have two blu ray players, an HD DVD player, every console and five HDTVs. That means my opinion in these matters is moot, not expert.

TunaLover

Kagari said:
I'm pretty sure WW that they've been outpacing the 360's launch alignment, if that makes sense. Not to mention they both sold very close in the US all year up until October/November... so really, all the doom and gloom talk is a vast exaggeration fueled by console warriors. People proclaiming PS3 will die are ignorant. It won't. The 360 won't die either and neither will the Wii. All three will exist with the Wii having a 50% market share and the other two fighting over the rest. The battle for second place is silly at this point with what, 17 million PS3s out there now and 22.5 million 360s? The next few years are just going to be a giant slap fight between Sony and Microsoft.

Correct people likes doom and gloom talk, they're too worried about HW sales and SW sales get the shift all the time.

So it might not literally be true that you can't see the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD but you have to keep in mind that since 360 launched the best selling console has been the Wii. The second best selling console in that period was the PS2.

HD matter much, much less than people think.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I think this pretty much defines you as atypical.

I have two blu ray players, an HD DVD player, every console and five HDTVs. That means my opinion in these matters is moot, not expert.

Then I'm sure when you made a jump from DVD to blu-ray/HD-DVD, you saw the difference cause I see a big difference.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hammerhai said:
1. It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.

Over 6 million pieces of hardware moved in November alone says "Fuck you".

2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

Holy Jebus, this shit is still around. Fucking mind boggling.

3. The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

What's a game changer? The only "game changer" in this entire generation is Wii Sports.

Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy

You know, there's no debating that things aren't selling huge amounts on the system...but mediocre game library? Man, I got nothing. I give up.

I think Sony should go back on their word and just take the HDD and WiFi out of the PS3 so they can get the price under $299 as soon as possible. Let people come up with their own memory/internet solutions and get their own version of the "arcade" out there.

Blah blah blah some developers get pissed off or some games won't work. In the end, it helps their bottom line and their install base.

shagg_187 said:
Then I'm sure when you made a jump from DVD to blu-ray/HD-DVD, you saw the difference cause I see a big difference.
It's largely irrelevant... but on anything sub 46" (at my usual seating distance) I don't see a massive difference between upscaled DVD and HD. Sure, it's much more obvious on CGI and certain types of films but for most things I'd actually have to look for it.

Top Bottom