• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN poll : Trump gains 8 points since August. Now at 32% support among Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Holy shit. Jeb is just... over.

Who would have thought Trump and Carson would be leading the polls right now... Wow.
Not that surprising. Have you paid attention to the current GOP?

Goes to show how little I know these candidates. I guess I'm for trump because I feel I know him best.

Was saying to myself that Carson seems reasonable but a little passive and weak. Now he seems much less reasonable, still weak, but also slightly off his rocker.
Like this. Being uninformed is the name of the game.

Even if the other option is donald trump?

What did sanders even do?

There is a narrative going around that Sanders is racist which isn't true. Black Lives Matter protested at one of his events and have been negatively effecting his appearance in the black community ever since. Some people on gaf don't get that Sanders is only popular to young to middle aged, white, liberal voters. His numbers in minority communities are no where near where they need to be to when the general election.

Wow, Jeb really might not make it, will he? And before everybody was thinking he was the gaurenteed nominee.

He's boring, has unpopular ideas, is attached to a toxic name, and people are tired of the established career politicians. As much as he wants to distance himself from his brother, he's just making it far too easy for people to point at him as being exactly the same. And people still blame Bush. "Thanks Obama" is a meme, but overall, the meme should be "Thanks Bush" because that's what more people still believe.

His brother was a poor president, but he had charisma and was adorable. Jeb won't be able to overcome that with just money, especially not against Trump who has charisma, and money, and isn't afraid to say whatever ridiculous far right thing he needs to, and yet still has a well established history of being moderate he can fall back to when he needs to. Whoever is running Jeb's attack ads is also a moron. His attack ads on Trump just make Trump more appealing to moderates and Trump has so much ammunition against Jeb, that he just snaps right back with far better counter attacks...

CNN said:
Trump's growth in the field has also come alongside an increase in attention to the issue of illegal immigration.

A majority of Republicans now call the issue extremely important to their vote for president, 51% now call it extremely important, up from 39% in a June CNN/ORC poll. Among that group, Trump holds a wide lead, with 42% support compared with 17% for Carson, 10% for Cruz, 9% for Bush and 5% for Walker.
For anyone doubting that Republicans aren't vying for TRUMP based on obvious racism and his comments on Mexicans.

This illegal immigration platform is going to poison the hispanic vote for the gop for decades. what a mess.

The GOP laid they foundation so they now have to sleep on the bed they made.

I'm still not calling Trump electable. He could have 100% of the Republican vote but that says nothing of swing voters and moderates, who generally are the ones who actually decide elections. That, and we haven't even begun shedding GOP candidates, which is when we get a clearer picture of who gets the ticket.

The GOP laid they foundation so they now have to sleep on the bed they made.

I'm still not calling Trump electable. He could have 100% of the Republican vote but that says nothing of swing voters and moderates, who generally are the ones who actually decide elections. That, and we haven't even begun shedding GOP candidates, which is when we get a clearer picture of who gets the ticket.

Once Trump gets the nomination, watch how fast he falls back to his mid-90s, early 2000s moderate/liberal beliefs.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Well, let's be honest.. given that Congressional gridlock is all but inevitable into the next decade, this is what we're really picking between..
150213173931-ginsburg-scalia-split-lead-02-13-large-169.jpg

I think there's a 95% chance Trump would appoint his sister first. 100% chance he selects Ivanka Trump for VP in four years.

Kusagari

Nobody knows who the fuck Trump would appoint to the SC but I feel there's a 99% chance it'd be better than Jeb/Walker/Rubio's picks.

maxcriden

I would imagine the debate in October may help him raise awareness, seeing as he's been trying to gain momentum against a media establishment that profits against his ideals. I don't even say this as if it'll help him win, for what is important is we make it clear as can be to the people what our problems really, honestly are, and we must do this with as little impositions or falsified evocations as possible. Even the Democratic solution to poverty - jobs - is also an affront and as terrible of a solution as the Republican party has proposed. They both skin that chicken in different ways, but the problem itself is the chicken, not the skinning: it's the ideas of jobs that is the problem. Our second machine age, which we are entering, will show us this, but I hope we can explain it before we risk unneeded depressions over psychological mumbo jumbo like jobs, money, and an economy, all of which are merely subjective ideas often confused for objective reality.

The Republican party has failed this, as for example, they paint all illegals in this country as crime-committing parasites. Is that true? I doubt it. How come nobody ever asks how many, if any, came to this country to get away from cartels and systemic corruption in Mexico?

I'm not sure I agree about jobs. What is the solution if not job creation, then? Sincerely asking.

You are completely right that most undocumented immigrants are not "crime-committing parasites." In addition, they are willing to do a lot of jobs people otherwise are not willing to.

Also, I think the term "illegals" is generally considered derogatory. Just FYI.

I read an article that touched on this a bit. It makes the easy and flawed comparison to Trump unfortunately, but the latter half of the article did get me to think of the possibility that Sanders's unpopularity with minorities isn't just because of the lack of media coverage.

Thanks for the link. It seems like the argument therein is the idea of a New Deal vs. a Civil Rights act. I think he's right that the base wants the latter primarily, but I think the two kinda go hand in hand.

Goes to show how little I know these candidates. I guess I'm for trump because I feel I know him best.

Was saying to myself that Carson seems reasonable but a little passive and weak. Now he seems much less reasonable, still weak, but also slightly off his rocker.
Carson is a full blown theocrat who is way in over his head.

He doesn't know American History or the intricacies of foreign policy. Why would he?

He denies evolution, too.

He won't have the staying power to remain on top. He has no experience and it will continue to show.

He doesn't know American History or the intricacies of foreign policy. Why would he?

He won't have the staying power to remain on top. He has no experience and it will continue to show.

But Carson says he's going to bomb the border and invade Iraq and Syria though.

Foffy

Banned
I'm not sure I agree about jobs. What is the solution if not job creation, then? Sincerely asking.

You are completely right that most undocumented immigrants are not "crime-committing parasites." In addition, they are willing to do a lot of jobs people otherwise are not willing to.

Also, I think the term "illegals" is generally considered derogatory. Just FYI.

Citizen incomes are the solution. The demand of jobs creates poverty, so it is only a natural function in that mindset. Demand everyone be a have creates the have not class. Money is a idea, so if we demand everyone have it, it must be offered humanely. Linking it to jobs is just a bad idea.

Jobs are a terrible band-aid, for our idea about labor itself is the problem. Automation will be the catalyst that demands this change. The alternative, to put it bluntly, is this: we risk the greatest depression on earth otherwise. It is like climate change, where something MUST be done, or the whole enterprise is ruined.

America will be one of the last developed nations on this planet to see this, just like with health care. This is how bad we are with our social fictions, allowing them to create unreasonable conflict. I'm on my phone so I can't explain in depth, but there are more factors than just automation.

To believe we can have 7 billion decent, humanely supporting jobs is nothing more than thinking like a sadist. This isn't even considering machine learning.

The most important thing is that he has a brain. He can figure things out and learn very rapidly.

If Trump wins the nomination I think he'll wind back the narrative. There's a difference between trying to appeal to your party base and appealing to the nation at large.

Same could be said for Sanders to a lesser extent.

Slacker

Pretty amazing to me that Carson is in second place. The man literally has no idea about anything. Every position he takes seems like he's making it up on the spot with no research or deliberation at all.

Pay 10% at church? Why not pay 10% taxes? Surely it's the same thing! Hey the Dollar Store is very successful, maybe we should all pay $1 taxes. Ideas!

Pretty amazing to me that Carson is in second place. The man literally has no idea about anything.

It's amazing to you that people who have no idea about anything like a guy who has no idea about anything? That's par for the course for Republicans. Actually, Ben Carson is perfect in this regard: he's a neurosurgeon, so they can appeal to his academic intelligence, but he's also fucking clueless about most other things, so they feel like they're on his level.

Man, I say fuck Hillary 'we came, we saw, he died' Clinton. She's the biggest warhawk there is.

The sad thing about it is, so is Bernie. Regardless, of who wins, we lose.

I didn't like that speech but it's all posturing. The strategy is to be aggressive to calm worries from potential voters who feel Clinton might be weak if Iran reneges on the deal, and I'm sure a lot of that has to do with her being a woman.

There is no evidence or reason to think Clinton would choose war even if Iran did break the terms of the deal.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The most important thing is that he has a brain. He can figure things out and learn very rapidly.
He hasn't figured out shit since bursting onto the scene two years ago. I doubt he's interested in actually learning anything about how our government actually works, since he'd rather implement the equivalent of Sharia Law instead.

It's amazing to you that people who have no idea about anything like a guy who has no idea about anything? That's par for the course for Republicans. Actually, Ben Carson is perfect in this regard: he's a neurosurgeon, so they can appeal to his academic intelligence, but he's also fucking clueless about most other things, so they feel like they're on his level.
Exactly.

I didn't like that speech but it's all posturing. The strategy is to be aggressive to calm worries from potential voters who feel Clinton might be weak if Iran reneges on the deal, and I'm sure a lot of that has to do with her being a woman.

There is no evidence or reason to think Clinton would choose war even if Iran did break the terms of the deal.
I agree to an extent that it's posturing (i.e. you must show blind devotion to Israel to be elected). But I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Clinton would most certainly choose war. Her record as Secratary of State alone would suggest this.

wildfire

Banned
Messages like that won't even matter when the media are covering Trumps next threat to Mexicans in spite of that deeply racist messaging resonating with no one but the deep south. The Democrats would actually be feeling pretty comfortable right now no matter which way the Republicans intend to attack them.

Mexican's isn't a deep south bug bear, it's a western bug bear. The loudest cries about Mexicans are coming from the mid west.

Trump's appeal goes much further than the former slave states.

Clinton v Trump has a better chance than Sanders v Trump, if you ask me. Sanders would have to work hard getting his numbers up among the Black community which make up a good chunk of the Dems and then going middle for the general. Clinton already has it, basically. Personally I can see voting for Clinton simply to stop Trump is more likely there, where with Sanders I could see people just staying home. But Sanders has been working on that, and I wouldn't be shocked if the rhetoric gets out of control from Trump's side in a general election and minority voters come out for anybody BUT him. Trump is so outspoken, he is going to rile up some...interesting supporters. Things ran away from McCain and Romney, I can't even imagine what we'll see here. So that could play a part.

I'd like to see what Trump's current numbers are among minorities. They would have to be a disaster...but then again, I didn't expect him to gain ground among women but here we are.

This is silly. Sanders isn't going up against McCain or Bush. Going up against Trump makes Sanders more electable not less. It's fair to say that Sander's has weaknesses to address but it's disingenuous to present his weaknesses as worse than Trump's variations on the same demographics they have to compete for.

Warhawks are big on posturing. Let's not pretend otherwise. People who want to avoid war at all costs don't make aggrandizing statements.

I agree to an extent that it's posturing (i.e. you must show blind devotion to Israel to be elected). But I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Clinton would most certainly choose war. Her record as Secretary of State alone would suggest this.

She's a woman running to be the first female president of a largely ignorant country. She HAS to appear tough to have a chance at winning an office as powerful as the presidency. As a country we have a love affair with violence and the military, people will not vote for a candidate they view as being weak.

Her husband didn't drag us into any unnecessary wars and she won't either. But let's face facts our military industrial complex is insanely powerful so the US World Police will undoubtedly keep doing their thing regardless of who is elected president. We just need to make sure we don't elect someone who is stupid enough to go along with the lunatics that want war with Iran. Hillary is not a lunatic, she will not risk war with Iran unless we have no other choice.

ghahahah

honestly if soon there's a president Trump, i will become addicted to watching the news. so much cringy funny stuff will happen if he leads the free world.

ApharmdX

Banned
If Carson bows out and cuts a deal with Trump to serve as VP, the Republican primaries are over. And what's most telling is that I'm reading about big GOP donors starting to hold off on supporting candidates financially. We're still pretty early but to me this looks like the beginning of the end.

I'm not even panicking. A Trump presidency isn't the worst-case scenario! Bush is worse. Cruz is worse. Carson is worse. Huckabee is worse. The only GOP candidate that I even half-like is Rand Paul. What a state this country is in...

Every candidate is controlled by someone. The people who choose who we get to choose from.

For now Trump is his own man, but if he can win the primaries, he'll get that Koch money and so on. That won't be a problem. His interests align perfectly with theirs anyway.

For now Trump is his own man, but if he can win the primaries, he'll get that Koch money and so on. That won't be a problem. His interests align perfectly with theirs anyway.

No they don't, and Trump won't let himself be a puppet, that goes against his personality.

He already has money, he's doing this for fame and attention. That became pretty obvious as soon as he went from being a left of center Republican who didn't even know why he was a Republican, to jumping full on the crazy train. A person doesn't just abruptly change like that, he's in it for the attention. He's a giant ham.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a plan in place to transition his platform back towards his pre-Obama nonsense. Get the nomination, dial back the crazy, and point towards his past record as proof he can be a moderate.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It would certainly be interesting...

http://fox40.com/2015/09/08/ben-carson-open-to-donald-trump-vp-talk/

I wouldn't be shocked if Trump cut a deal with Carson sooner rather than later.

I mean really???

Carson proposed a 10 percent flat tax, saying it would be fair and equitable to all Americans.

“I think God’s a pretty fair person, and he advocated a tithing system,” he said. “There must be something inherently fair about proportionality.”
grave.gif
America

maxcriden

Citizen incomes are the solution. The demand of jobs creates poverty, so it is only a natural function in that mindset. Demand everyone be a have creates the have not class. Money is a idea, so if we demand everyone have it, it must be offered humanely. Linking it to jobs is just a bad idea.

Jobs are a terrible band-aid, for our idea about labor itself is the problem. Automation will be the catalyst that demands this change. The alternative, to put it bluntly, is this: we risk the greatest depression on earth otherwise. It is like climate change, where something MUST be done, or the whole enterprise is ruined.

America will be one of the last developed nations on this planet to see this, just like with health care. This is how bad we are with our social fictions, allowing them to create unreasonable conflict. I'm on my phone so I can't explain in depth, but there are more factors than just automation.

To believe we can have 7 billion decent, humanely supporting jobs is nothing more than thinking like a sadist. This isn't even considering machine learning.

Interesting perspective. Thank you. What do you mean by citizen incomes? I mean...I'm not sure I understand what the solution to you looks like.

This illegal immigration platform is going to poison the hispanic vote for the gop for decades. what a mess.

Not really needed yet though to be 100% honest. Outside of a few which is all that is needed.

Romey would have won if he got a couple more fence sitters and black voters at his side in 2012. That was close even with his last second 500 screw ups.

I think more hispanics might vote anyway if someone bumps trump even if they have similar views (outside huckabee and Cruz)

ApharmdX

Banned
No they don't, and Trump won't let himself be a puppet, that goes against his personality.

He already has money, he's doing this for fame and attention. That became pretty obvious as soon as he went from being a left of center Republican who didn't even know why he was a Republican, to jumping full on the crazy train. A person doesn't just abruptly change like that, he's in it for the attention. He's a giant ham.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a plan in place to transition his platform back towards his pre-Obama nonsense. Get the nomination, dial back the crazy, and point towards his past record as proof he can be a moderate.

Yes, they do align, in large swaths. Trump will cut taxes on the rich. He'll push for more domestic oil drilling. He'll push to abolish Obamacare. Now the Koch brothers do hold some "crazy" libertarian positions that Trump does not, but I doubt that will be a problem in them backing him in the general election for tens of millions of dollars.

You're probably right about Trump heading back towards center if he wins the nomination. He can definitely do it on social issues. And tell me that a social moderate but fiscal conservative can't win the presidency... he can do it. I think in the beginning it was about attention. Now Trump really thinks he can be president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom