• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN poll : Trump gains 8 points since August. Now at 32% support among Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's not that they dislike Bernie, they strongly prefer Hillary. Prior to President Obama, her husband was, by far, the most popular president ever among black voters. Some of the support may be supporting Bill by proxy, some may be the feeling that she legitimately has the interests of black voters better in mind.

Bernie has a huge uphill battle to erode into black voter support that leans STRONGLY toward Hillary. He certainly has policies that help black voters from an economic standpoint, and probably has support for policies that help black voters from a social justice standpoint, but he hasn't effectively communicated those yet.

At an even more simplistic level - he's another old white guy in a suit. That image hardly screams "change" to low information voters - and they're plentiful on both sides.

What do you find appealing about Trump?

I'm not being condescending. I'm genuinely curious.

He sees to me like a real person. Someone smart, and tough, and who won't back down when it comes to getting things done. In particular I like his talk about how America is being bled dry by other countries like China and Mexico. I want someone who puts the American people first in all things. Somebody who knows how to negotiate, and who stays focused on the bottom line, money. This country is heading to the poor house and I want somebody who is going to cut the fat and reallocate funds where they are truly needed, such as for veterans.

I also think he's the kind of guy who won't be intimidated by other world leaders, specifically the bullies. Someone who wont go to war in the middle east and then just leave the oil for example.

Basically, I think our government needs a lot of work and as a non-politician, I think he can identify and cut through all the BS. He talks a lot, freely, not scripted, speaks his mind. I'm hoping that if he gets in office that he'll communicate the crap that he finds in Washington and exposes people and organizations within in order to force change.

And yes he is crude at times, but so am I. So is most people I know. But he tells it straight. I don't want another political robot in the white house.

That said, I have yet to see a list of actual positions he has on social issues, education and etc. All I know is that he says out loud what we must all be thinking: That this country is clearly run by idiots. No more idiots in the white house please.

Kind of the gist of it for me.

Carson is a full blown theocrat who is way in over his head.

He doesn't know American History or the intricacies of foreign policy. Why would he?

He denies evolution, too.

He won't have the staying power to remain on top. He has no experience and it will continue to show.

Denies evolution. A doctor.
Wow I really do need to look at these guys closer holy crap.

jmdajr

Jeb Bush, when asked about Donald Trump, tells Jake Tapper that he doesn't think "you can insult your way" to the presidency.

It can lead you pretty far in the GOP race though!

4Tran

Jeb Bush, when asked about Donald Trump, tells Jake Tapper that he doesn't think "you can insult your way" to the presidency.

It can lead you pretty far in the GOP race though!
Jeb! is going to be in for a sad, sad time if this is the best that he can do! It's pretty shocking just how bad he and Walker are as politicians.

Clevinger

Because Sanders' core ideology appeals to white straight males and virtually no one else. It's why his numbers cap where they do.

*rolls eyes*

I'm voting for Clinton, but man it's been sad to see the smearing of Bernie of all people by the left. Makes me wonder how much shit Warren would have gotten from Hillary supporters/establishment dem supporters if she'd run instead of him.

Ben Carson second place behind Trump?

I mean as ridiculous as Trump is.. BEN CARSON?

THIS GUY???
crazy.gif

Ben-Carson.jpg

I always wondered why people said they were "going straight" when they got out of jail, now I know. It's because they turned gay in jail and now have to become not gay.

Thanks Dr Carson!
I mean, President Carson..

rjinaz

A)

D) A lot of Bernie fans (even on GAF but especially elsewhere) are awful and either subtly or overtly racist..

Who on GAF have been subtly or overtly racist? I follow pretty much every Bernie fan being a supporter and have never seen anybody be racist. I'll assume you are making assumptions but could you not make that same assumption that there are some racist supporters of any candidate including Hilary Clinton?

4Tran

There's no way he can win a general election, right? Right, guys? :smiles nervously:
Insults and racist comments don't hurt Trump in the nomination race, but it's a very different story in a general election. Trump doesn't do anything to shore up Republican structural weaknesses and hurts them in a lot of other areas. He would probably lose in a landslide.

Crocodile

It's amusing that the poster accidentally pointed out the real reason.
Lack of knowledge about he candidate. lol

Honestly, his age is the primary reason of concern, to me anyways.

He would be, by far the oldest president.

Hillary Clinton would be 3rd oldest.

We know how things went with Reagan's second term. Which, frankly, i'm surprised did not get more public outcry after the fact.

Yep I made a slight mistake, I mis-rememebred an election result and though he held a higher office than he actually ever has. I guess that means every other point I've made is irrelevant right? *rolls eyes*

I even mentioned lack of exposure but are you going to deny all the other points I made? Also assuming he would surge after getting more exposure is dangerous too. It's certainly possible but its not like his favorablity ratings with minorities have been excellent right now

Who on GAF have been subtly or overtly racist? I follow pretty much every Bernie fan being a supporter and have never seen anybody be racist. I'll assume you are making assumptions but could you not make that same assumption that there are some racist supporters of any candidate including Hilary Clinton?

Nah, sorry. I'll make note of Diet Racism when I see it thank you very much. I don't need to assume things when I can see them. Again, I sure as hell ain't saying that describes anything but a fraction of supporters but that stuff is definitely out there and consistent in tone.

He sees to me like a real person. Someone smart, and tough, and who won't back down when it comes to getting things done. In particular I like his talk about how America is being bled dry by other countries like China and Mexico. I want someone who puts the American people first in all things. Somebody who knows how to negotiate, and who stays focused on the bottom line, money. This country is heading to the poor house and I want somebody who is going to cut the fat and reallocate funds where they are truly needed, such as for veterans.

I also think he's the kind of guy who won't be intimidated by other world leaders, specifically the bullies. Someone who wont go to war in the middle east and then just leave the oil for example.

Basically, I think our government needs a lot of work and as a non-politician, I think he can identify and cut through all the BS. He talks a lot, freely, not scripted, speaks his mind. I'm hoping that if he gets in office that he'll communicate the crap that he finds in Washington and exposes people and organizations within in order to force change.

And yes he is crude at times, but so am I. So is most people I know. But he tells it straight. I don't want another political robot in the white house.

That said, I have yet to see a list of actual positions he has on social issues, education and etc. All I know is that he says out loud what we must all be thinking: That this country is clearly run by idiots. No more idiots in the white house please.

Kind of the gist of it for me.

The focus on money for its own sake is the exact reason why living standards here have degraded for the average person. We have forgotten that areas that actually make our lives better - like education, healthcare, and an efficient infrastructure should be shared societal costs to make them affordable and available to everyone.

Because we've forgotten that more and more people don't have the means to build better lives for themselves anymore. Placing the blame for that on us deciding long ago to shift labor intensive industry abroad is demagogic BS. The US dollar becoming the world's reserve currency after World War II made it an inevitability. The dollar is too expensive for us to have a strong export economy like China. It's a dream that isn't possible unless we finally decide to make the International Monetary Fund currency (they're called special drawing rights) the world's reserve currency. Unless that happens good paying industrial jobs will not be returning to the US.

The way to make America great again is to make education, healthcare, and housing as affordable as we possibly can. And also get to work repairing and upgrading our failing and outdated infrastructure. Those things will require money though, which means taxation. Until we grow up and understand that the government is a reflection of us and that we get back what we put in we will continue to think that all government is bad and taxation is evil and things will continue to not get better.

The focus on money for its own sake is the exact reason why living standards here have degraded for the average person. We have forgotten that areas that actually make our lives better - like education, healthcare, and an efficient infrastructure should be shared societal costs to make them affordable and available to everyone.

Because we've forgotten that more and more people don't have the means to build better lives for themselves anymore. Placing the blame for that on us deciding long ago to shift labor intensive industry abroad is demagogic BS. The US dollar becoming the world's reserve currency after World War II made it an inevitability. The dollar is too expensive for us to have a strong export economy like China. It's a dream that isn't possible unless we finally decide to make the International Monetary Fund currency (they're called special drawing rights) the world's reserve currency. Unless that happens good paying industrial jobs will not be returning to the US.

The way to make America great again is to make education, healthcare, and housing as affordable as we possibly can. And also get to work repairing and upgrading our failing and outdated infrastructure. Those things will require money though, which means taxation. Until we grow up and understand that the government is a reflection of us and that we get back what we put in we will continue to think that all government is bad and taxation is evil and things will continue to not get better.

I've heard trump say all those things.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You know this isn't the reason for you guys to go to war in the middle East right? I mean it probably was the actual reason, but man can you just imagine the world's reaction when America destabilised an already unstable region, convincing a coalition of nations into taking part under false pretenses and wasted billions of dollars as well as millions of lives over a blatant resource grab.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I can't take anyone seriously that says they support Trump because "He says what we're all thinking!"

If that's what you're thinking, you need to look in the mirror and evaluate yourself as a human being.

So the moral of the story is...

Yell a lot of nonsense, pull a couple of High School level stunts and win the GoP nomination?

Is that more of an indictment of how horrible the rest of the GoP candidates are or an indictment of how cynical the GoP voter base has become?

Or both?

lednerg

Trump's going on Colbert on the 22nd. Should be interesting to see him actually be challenged intellectually during an interview for once. Stephen will be pleasant, but I don't think Trump's going to get away without looking like a ridiculous asshole. Whether the people who support Trump will notice or care is another thing altogether.

Slacker

Has there been a set candidate lineup for the debate next week?

I don't think it's been announced, but will almost certainly be:

Trump
Carson
Walker
Fiorina
Cruz
Paul
Huckabee
John Ellis Bush Bush
Kasich
Rubio
Christie

Kasich and/or Christie might be on the bubble. We're supposed to find out today.

If most people you know act like trump in social situations I can see why you would think that kind of behavior accomplishes anything.

CoryCubed

Wow I really do need to look at these guys closer holy crap.

You wanna know about Carson? Read about Seventh Day Adventist, of which he is. I was in a church like this for awhile when I was dating this girl and it was awful. Most judgemental people I ever met.

Read the PDF on the rightside of the page of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs, to become an Adventist, you have to sign off on these.

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/

Damaniel

Banned
USASurvey has Trump getting 25% of Black, 31% of Hispanic vote (41% Asian) against Hillary, how is this happening?

More hypothetical match-ups with demographics breakdowns at the link: (scroll down)
http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=d950cadf-05ce-4148-a125-35c0cdab26c6

The GOP could run Kim Jong Un as their candidate and they would still get 25% of the vote. There's a core of GOP voters - about 25%, in fact - that will vote for the R candidate regardless of who it is. (Note that there's probably an equivalent core of Democrats that would do the same with any D candidate). I'm still kind of surprised by the Hispanic support - you'd think painting an entire group of people with the 'rapist illegals' brush would erode some of that support.

I can't take anyone seriously that says they support Trump because "He says what we're all thinking!"

If that's what you're thinking, you need to look in the mirror and evaluate yourself as a human being.
I'd also like to know who thinks the things he says and apparently says for them. The guy is a clown.

Sendero

USASurvey has Trump getting 25% of Black, 31% of Hispanic vote (41% Asian) against Hillary, how is this happening?

More hypothetical match-ups with demographics breakdowns at the link: (scroll down)
http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=d950cadf-05ce-4148-a125-35c0cdab26c6
As someone that lives in a country where people have consistently voted for the worst candidate possible -that just happened to present well to his audiencie-, I think that Democrats should be considering that this will be a difficult candidate to defeat if he wins the nomination.

Cult of Personality is a very real thing, and Trump has it in spades, against Hillary or Sanders.
I will be highly surprised if he does not get most of the indecisive voters, and specially those that don't normally participate.

Some will vote for him because he is famous -and male-, other for the entertaining value, and the youngsters because he is not "part of the establishment".

Plus, his PR team seems to be the most clever of the whole bunch. That will count.. hard.

Bala

Banned
I have got a feeling trump is going to win this. These threads kind of feel like the early uk election neogafs threads prediction/views of David Cameron. I don't think characterizing trump as a racist because he's against illegal immigration is going to help either. In fact it might even bolster his numbers because it's will seem like a weak argument to the average voter. His independence might actually offset his negative racist image. PS what is Hilary s stance regarding Iran nuclear deal. I think she could actually gain a lot of center voters if she's against it.

I have got a feeling trump is going to win this. These threads kind of feel like the early uk election neogafs threads prediction/views of David Cameron. I don't think characterizing trump as a racist because he's against illegal immigration is going to help either. In fact it might even bolster his numbers because it's will seem like a weak argument to the average voter. His independence might actually offset his negative racist image. PS what is Hilary s stance regarding Iran nuclear deal. I think she could actually gain a lot of center voters if she's against it.

No one is calling him racist because he's against illegal immigration. Have you heard trump speak?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I'm gonna need receipts on centrist voters being against the Iran nuclear deal.

And I'm tired of people nuancing Trump's racist statements for him. It was racist as fuck and his wall plan isn't policy it's fucking nonsense.

HylianTom

Banned
The GOP could run Kim Jong Un as their candidate and they would still get 25% of the vote. There's a core of GOP voters - about 25%, in fact - that will vote for the R candidate regardless of who it is. (Note that there's probably an equivalent core of Democrats that would do the same with any D candidate). I'm still kind of surprised by the Hispanic support - you'd think painting an entire group of people with the 'rapist illegals' brush would erode some of that support.

If 45% of the country is willing to vote for a ticket with Sarah Palin on it.. after the financial meltdown.. after the botched handling of Katrina.. after the public soured on Iraq War II.. etc etc..

Let's just say that I don't trust American voters. If Democratic Candidate X outperforms Democratic Candidate Y in general election polling by a few points, I'm not one to take chances, even if I like Candidate Y more than X. Shift a few percent of the vote from one column to the other, and the race's outcome becomes dramatically different.

OuterLimits

The race is over the moment Carson and Cruz drop. Tons of gaffers kept doubting that this could happen, but here we are. At this point in time I can't imagine what kind of gaffe Trump would have to make in order to lose voters. Eh, at least this is entertaining to watch. Can't say much about the democratic party right now.

Cruz is playing it smart right now. He is one of the few not attacking Trump, and they seem to have an alliance going on.

Cruz is hoping Trump implodes(very likely) and much of the support will fall his way. So instead of Cruz sitting between 5 and 10 percent, he could jump to 20% or more very quickly making him competitive.

Carson is getting the evangelical vote in large part right now. If Ben tanks quickly, perhaps they would back Huckabee or who else? Maybe Cruz or Rubio? I don't see them going to Jeb or Trump.

Carson having any decent polling numbers should tell you how wacky the right is. He's as inept as any candidate has ever been. They have no clue what's going on, they're just hateful and frustrated because they don't know any better. Trump is almost custom made to be successful in a Republican primary.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

If this holds AND he wins the nomination it would be a landslide victory for him. I have my doubts. 25% of the black vote?? Huh? That's about 3x what usual Republicans receive.

the answer is right in front of you- it isn't. Survey USA is a bad poll. Black Voters consistently vote against republican candidates no matter what for some fairly obvious reasons. Even walter mondale was clocking 90% of the black vote.

Any poll that says 1 in 4 black voters are going for the republican candidate, especially one as openly racist as Trump is a fraud.

OuterLimits

I also think it is premature to count out Jeb Bush. He has the powerful GOP establishment behind him and that isn't easy to defeat. He has plenty of time left to make a comeback. He needs to do better in the next couple debates though.

Bala

Banned
No one is calling him racist because he's against illegal immigration. Have you heard trump speak?

No. haven't really been following American politics more than the odd BBC news article /odd internet news article but my point if people are going to be labeling him racist because he is against illegal immigration or wants to build a wall then it's actually going to bolster his number because it's quite weak in argument. Though if I an wrong I would love to see an actual quote of his with context that points to his racism.

internet opinion is not general opinion judging the opinions/value of Americans through a left leaning site like gawker or neogaf is exposing the idea to atleast Sampling bias

It's pretty shocking just how bad he and Walker are as politicians.

As a former resident of Wisconsin, I'm not shocked at all by how badly Walker is doing. He's basically never had to run against a competent candidate before, and he's benefitted in the past from very favorable circumstances (running in Republican wave years, following unpopular Democrats in office, etc.) He's always sounded like a complete moron when speaking unscripted, it's just that he hasn't had to go off script while campaigning much before.

I also think it is premature to count out Jeb Bush. He has the powerful GOP establishment behind him and that isn't easy to defeat. He has plenty of time left to make a comeback. He needs to do better in the next couple debates though.

I don't. The "establishment" behind him doesn't mean much more than funding. At this point there are several candidates- trump being one of them- that are well funded enough to go head to head with a party backed candidate. Primaries are not as expensive as generals are for many reasons, not the least of which is that candidates don't have to compete in all 50 states at once, only 2 or 3 usually.

outside of that- Bush has nothing going for him. All of his funding is coming through a handful of donors via his pac. He has virtually no grassroots funding effort in place. at all.

His sole claim to fame is governorship of florida- which he left almost 10 years ago with no tangible accomplishments. He has the family name, but that's tied to a one term president few people remember at all for anything other than losing to Bill Clinton, and a two term president notorious for one of the lowest approval ratings of all time.

It would be something if Bush was a strong orator, debater, or quick thinker- but he isn't. He comes off wooden in stump speeches and just awful during the first debate. Romney wasn't anything spectacular but could run rings around him.

Romney at least not only had significant personal wealth AND establishment backing, but accomplishments to point to outside of a successful governorship, and was consistently polling a strong second in the double digit range to whoever was in first place nationally in 2012. Jeb has been cruising along in single digits and has been in third place for a while, and within the margin of error of FOURTH place.

Romney at this point had built up networks that were SO strong in 2012 he could and DID outspend his rivals 8 to 1 when necessary and just bury them. Jeb isn't in this position.

Wag

Ben Carson second place behind Trump?

I mean as ridiculous as Trump is.. BEN CARSON?

THIS GUY???
crazy.gif

Ben-Carson.jpg

obamacare-27.jpg

Carson is fucking looney tunes. I loved it during the last debate when he said he wanted to go to a "tithe system" for the tax code. WTF? We living in the Middle Ages or something? 😂

kirblar

He has only the GOP establishment behind him. He's a bad candidate with a toxic name with a ton of money to burn.

SURGEdude

The surge in popularity of Carson is interesting too. Don't think anyone was expecting that either.

Nah it's just the Herman Cain cycle all over again. Racists trying to prove they aren't racist but who in the end won't back him in the end. I suspect a similar situation is at play with failed HP exec Fiorina getting any traction at all.

zashga

Given their behavior over the past several years, I'll really enjoy watching the Republican Party implode before our very eyes.

Spladam

Hahaha OP: Republican party exposed as sham, turns out they're mostly baffoons who like to hear themselves talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom