• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN poll : Trump gains 8 points since August. Now at 32% support among Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they do align, in large swaths. Trump will cut taxes on the rich. He'll push for more domestic oil drilling. He'll push to abolish Obamacare. Now the Koch brothers do hold some "crazy" libertarian positions that Trump does not, but I doubt that will be a problem in them backing him in the general election for tens of millions of dollars.

You're probably right about Trump heading back towards center if he wins the nomination. He can definitely do it on social issues. And tell me that a social moderate but fiscal conservative can't win the presidency... he can do it. I think in the beginning it was about attention. Now Trump really thinks he can be president.

Trump is for full national health using Canada as a base, don't let this charade fool you.
"We must have universal healthcare," wrote Trump. "I'm a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one. We should not hear so many stories of families ruined by healthcare expenses."

"Doctors might be paid less than they are now, as is the case in Canada, but they would be able to treat more patients because of the reduction in their paperwork," he writes.

This was 15 years ago. Those are some pretty strong beliefs to suddenly go in the dead opposite direction

Interesting perspective. Thank you. What do you mean by citizen incomes? I mean...I'm not sure I understand what the solution to you looks like.

A basic guaranteed income provided by the government (to those who have citizenship I assume) that would cover essential living expenses like rent, food, and clothing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Not that I'm trying to make any comparisons, but Herman Caine and Santorum were in the lead at one point too.

Perhaps it's still too early and the only people being polled are the ultra lunatics.

I say if come March, Trump is still in first place, then this election is over.

I expect to see similar posts over the coming weeks.

The problem is, the sustained polling is a far longer period of time then the 2012 primary.

Compare the polling now to the polling then:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep.../republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

Edit: Trump is going on 3 months being in the lead, the 2012 primary had several candidates in the lead for less then 1 month.

Foffy

Banned
Interesting perspective. Thank you. What do you mean by citizen incomes? I mean...I'm not sure I understand what the solution to you looks like.

People are given money to cover the basic necessities to life with no hook or crook on how to get it. This is also called a Basic Income Guarantee (BIG) which is now being proposed by places in Europe, Canada, and many technological, environmental, economical, and business players in America see it needed, too. It says a lot that Citi - yes, the bank Citi - has said we need assured incomes in America, this century. Even the banking industry sees the red flags coming, and they're almost the worst when it comes to money.

It not only allows people to get the basic needs, but will free people from the problem of the necessity to work to live, which absolutely inhibits human potential and wellbeing. How many people do jobs they don't like in order to live in ways they don't like? That's not living, that is probation. It would allow people to do the things they would value and actually increase human productivity, as is the case of every location this has been tested in.

I'll finish this post with a fun fact: we almost had such a system with Richard Nixon and FDR, so this isn't a bleeding left idea. It has since become a fringe pseudo-Marxian fantasy to the American public, but it will be needed or else our social impositions over reality will continue to create more bedsores that naturally, normally do not exist. I do not suggest what model we make to accomplish this, be it negative income tax ala Milton Friedman or tax patents ala Robert Reich, but the point is this conversation NEEDS to happen. In America, being the so-called first-world-in-name-only as it normally is, is phenomenally absent in this conversation. Once again, the world is leaving us behind dealing with real issues as we're caught over petty nothings like gays being able to marry, and I say petty because anyone with a modicum of humanity can see the natural dignity in people. This shouldn't be a major issue, for it only clouts the real ones. Politics is full of this nonsense problem making.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It just shows how racist and hateful America is that this guy can get this much support.

Some parts of America.

But yeah I agree, it's alarming that this many people support the guy. I don't know a single person outside of the US that doesn't think he's some kind of sick joke candidate.

blackw0lf

Citizen incomes are the solution.

You talking about Universal Basic Income?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

An unconditional basic income (also called basic income, basic income guarantee, universal basic income, universal demogrant,[1] or citizen’s income) is a form of social security system[2] in which all citizens or residents of a country regularly receive an unconditional sum of money, either from a government or some other public institution, in addition to any income received from elsewhere.

Milton Friedman proposed such an idea, so it's not a left wing concept and could get bipartisan support.

Sanders isn't really proposing that though. At least not that I know of.

edit: oops you already posted what it is

Foffy

Banned
You talking about Universal Basic Income?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

Milton Friedman proposed such an idea, so it's not a left wing concept and could get bipartisan support.

Sanders isn't really proposing that though. At least not that I know of.

edit: oops you already posted what it is

Yes, same thing. Different name. BIG and UBI are assured incomes, they're pointing to the same thing.

Sanders has proposed it only as a solution if all other poverty programs fail. They absolutely will fail, so if we're talking in a situation where his ideas can become reality if he were president, UBI would be an option.

To Hillary's credit, she did answer a question about it, though she only talked about the possible rift of technology, and somehow reshaped the question into mothers and women. That's a far cry from any Republican, who is still stroking the hypothetical money cock that jobs and growth are mankind's answers to socially evocated illnesses and problems.

Some people are considering it, but it, at best, is lip service to a minority of minorities who are sincere about the problem.

15 years ago he might not have wanted to build a wall but he sure as hell wants to now. The only foolish thing to do would be to ignore his views today and hope his views from a decade ago are still true.

I don't believe someone makes an abrupt hard right turn in their beliefs right around the same time everyone else was getting a lot of attention and making a lot of money by being a hard right blowhard. Especially on a known attention hog like Trump.

I don't believe he has any GOP political allies, and most of his politician friends are Democrats.

maxcriden

A basic guaranteed income provided by the government (to those who have citizenship I assume) that would cover essential living expenses like rent, food, and clothing.

People are given money to cover the basic necessities to life with no hook or crook on how to get it. This is also called a Basic Income Guarantee (BIG) which is now being proposed by places in Europe, Canada, and many technological, environmental, economical, and business players in America see it needed, too. It says a lot that Citi - yes, the bank Citi - has said we need assured incomes in America, this century. Even the banking industry sees the red flags coming, and they're almost the worst when it comes to money.

It not only allows people to get the basic needs, but will free people from the problem of the necessity to work to live, which absolutely inhibits human potential and wellbeing. How many people do jobs they don't like in order to live in ways they don't like? That's not living, that is probation. It would allow people to do the things they would value and actually increase human productivity, as is the case of every location this has been tested in.

I'll finish this post with a fun fact: we almost had such a system with Richard Nixon and FDR, so this isn't a bleeding left idea. It has since become a fringe pseudo-Marxian fantasy to the American public, but it will be needed or else our social impositions over reality will continue to create more bedsores that naturally, normally do not exist. I do not suggest what model we make to accomplish this, be it negative income tax ala Milton Friedman or tax patents ala Robert Reich, but the point is this conversation NEEDS to happen. In America, being the so-called first-world-in-name-only as it normally is, is phenomenally absent in this conversation. Once again, the world is leaving us behind dealing with real issues as we're caught over petty nothings like gays being able to marry, and I say petty because anyone with a modicum of humanity can see the natural dignity in people. This shouldn't be a major issue, for it only clouts the real ones. Politics is full of this nonsense problem making.

Okay, I see what you're both saying. Thanks for the clarification. You're basically talking about citizens being entitled to basic human rights and decency, and an expansion of public welfare programs. I am all for that.

Revolver

"Ben Carson is not going to be your next president. That I can tell you."

"because I just cut a deal to make him vice president"

I don't know. He went in on Carson pretty hard. Attacking his personality, his faith and even his skill as a doctor. I wish he'd go after Cruz but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen since Cruz has basically rolled over belly up for Trump.

I don't believe someone makes an abrupt hard right turn in their beliefs right around the same time everyone else was getting a lot of attention and making a lot of money by being a hard right blowhard. Especially on a known attention hog like Trump.

I don't believe he has any GOP political allies, and most of his politician friends are Democrats.

Well, he and Ted Cruz appear to be really good friends given he's the only one he never attacks and they rallied together. How do you feel about Ted Cruz?

I can't believe you're really thinking he's some kind of liberal in disguise trying to fool Republicans into voting for him and then when he's in the White House he's going to suddenly sweep in his big liberal agenda.

Well, he and Ted Cruz appear to be really good friends given he's the only one he never attacks and they rallied together. How do you feel about Ted Cruz?

I can't believe you're really thinking he's some kind of liberal in disguise trying to fool Republicans into voting for him and then when he's in the White House he's going to suddenly sweep in his big liberal agenda.

He's doing what he needs to do to get the fame and attention he wants. I don't believe he personally holds the beliefs he says he does when rallying. He knows the positions he needs to take to get in the place he wants to get. He wants his name in the history books and he'll do and say whatever needs to, to get there.

kirblar

It just shows how racist and hateful America is that this guy can get this much support.
That's part of it. Another part is that the GOP's "cut taxes for rich people" schpiel isn't selling to voters anymore, and Trump's very liberal on the redistribution/taxation front.

If he gets the nomination, it will send shockwaves through the electorate on welfare policy, because it means the GOP has officially lost the battle there.
He's doing what he needs to do to get the fame and attention he wants. I don't believe he personally holds the beliefs he says he does when rallying. He knows the positions he needs to take to get in the place he wants to get. He wants his name in the history books and he'll do and say whatever needs to, to get there.
I can't help but admire the shamelessness.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's part of it. Another part is that the GOP's "cut taxes for rich people" schpiel isn't selling to voters anymore, and Trump's very liberal on the redistribution/taxation front.

If he gets the nomination, it will send shockwaves through the electorate on welfare policy, because it means the GOP has officially lost the battle there.

Lost the battle on taxes anyway, not sure if the evidence is there for Welfare Policy.

Of course, evidence shows that the super majority of people are fine with welfare, as long as it it goes to people who are not black or poor.

kirblar

Lost the battle on taxes anyway, not sure if the evidence is there for Welfare Policy.

Of course, evidence shows that the super majority of people are fine with welfare, as long as it it goes to people who are not black or poor.
Stuff like Medicare is untouchable because people like the benefits. That's why merely getting Obamacare in the door was huge and why the GOP are being dicks about Medicare expansion-once people are on the rolls, they are not going to let themselves be taken off without a huge fight.

Is there any other word you can use to describe this other than blind faith?

Is there any other word you can use to describe this other than blind faith?

His political history, close political friends, love of attention, known reality TV character and abrupt change in political beliefs as soon as his buddy Hillary lost the nomination?

It's not blind faith, it's taking Trump and looking at his personality and history and seeing that he's probably just making it up as he goes because it's the easiest way to fame.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Clinton v Trump has a better chance than Sanders v Trump, if you ask me. Sanders would have to work hard getting his numbers up among the Black community which make up a good chunk of the Dems and then going middle for the general. Clinton already has it, basically. Personally I can see voting for Clinton simply to stop Trump is more likely there, where with Sanders I could see people just staying home. But Sanders has been working on that, and I wouldn't be shocked if the rhetoric gets out of control from Trump's side in a general election and minority voters come out for anybody BUT him. Trump is so outspoken, he is going to rile up some...interesting supporters. Things ran away from McCain and Romney, I can't even imagine what we'll see here. So that could play a part.

I'd like to see what Trump's current numbers are among minorities. They would have to be a disaster...but then again, I didn't expect him to gain ground among women but here we are.

Any reason why Sanders' numbers with minorities are so low?

More like his advisors have suggested he keep his mouth shut so he doesn't remove all doubt.

This excuse would make sense if he already wasn't like this and initially his advisers though it would kill him and treaded cautiously until it actually helped him, so not sure where this came from.

Hexa

His political history, close political friends, love of attention, known reality TV character and abrupt change in political beliefs as soon as his buddy Hillary lost the nomination?

It's not blind faith, it's taking Trump and looking at his personality and history and seeing that he's probably just making it up as he goes because it's the easiest way to fame.

I agree with this. But it's also pretty obvious from his responses and style in dealing with several issues. The biggest example would be when he said the bible was his favorite book. The way he said that wasn't of someone that actually liked the bible in the slightest, but very clearly saying it entirely just because of its political value for that specific crowd. Like you could see him scanning the crowd and rolling with them. And that's essentially the way he flows with everything he says. No planning. Just saying whatever he thinks will work in that specific instance based on reading the crowd. Like all politicians, or at least good ones, do this to an extent but he takes it to a whole new level. It's amazing and makes it impossible for him to make serious gaffes. I look forward to seeing the end game of this entire affair.

Jeb must be horrified. Trump might actually be the Republican candidate and the GOP has to keep him because they will lose horribly if he decides to run as an independent.

Crocodile

A) Historically low awareness among them. Clinton was not only 1st Lady (which gave her a lot of exposure) but she and Bill have been very active in interacting and mingling with the minority (especially Black) community recently and for decades.

B) Doesn't appear to put race issues at the forefront of his campaign. Even after the encounter with BLM and the update on his campaign site, when pressed on race issues he still tends to pivot back to economics - its clearly what he's comfortable with. He can also get kind of belligerent and exasperated when pressed (can he handle the pressure of a Republican controlled Congress cockblocking him all day, every day?). I remember a moment when one of his staffers apologized to BLM on his behalf and he later vehemently took that apology back himself. Wasn't a good look.

C) He's the current Senator of Vermont (and has held other positions in the state), one of the Whitest states in the country with numbers that don't look very good for minorities when you look at employment, imprisonment, etc. Makes a lot of people skeptical of how well he can hear and fight for minority issues (and before you counter, yes a lot of people are aware of the Clinton's "tough on crime" stance in the 90's and weren't fans of how that ended up either)

D) A lot of Bernie fans (even on GAF but especially elsewhere) are awful and either subtly or overtly racist. Often times when critiques come from the direction of minorities, "Standers" try to deflect with "Bernie marched with King 50 years ago, what more do you want!" or "Don't you know what's good for you?! If you don't vote for Bernie you're stupid!", etc. Basically calling themselves allies of minorities but when they speak up they get shouted back down by these people. I'm certainly not saying all Standers are like that and you saw something similar in Hiliary's camp back in 2008 but there are enough of them and they are loud. Whenever I see stuff like that (and others I've spoken to feel the same way) I get REALLY turned off from Bernie.

E) Electability is more important for the minorities. White voters can afford to go "all or nothing" because if Bernie loses the outcome won't be as bad for them. That's why you see some Standers say they would rather vote Republican or not vote at all if Bernie doesn't get the nomination. For Black people and other minorities, a Republican victory (at least from the pool of candidates we have) would be a doomsday scenario. They feel they can't afford to lose at any cost so rather than go all "pie in the sky" they are more pragmatically focused and are more interested in who they think can win and bring some progress than someone who might bring more progress but has a harder chance of winning. Rather aim high and win than aim for the stars and get nothing or slide backwards (again assuming Bernie represents all that is good and pure in politics :p).

Mxrz

Still the least scary Republican candidate. If he somehow did win, he'd probably scale back the crazy. I'd say there's a bigger chance he'd win, but then immediately quit with a 'you don't deserve me' tweet.

Ovid

Still the least scary Republican candidate. If he somehow did win, he'd probably scale back the crazy. I'd say there's a bigger chance he'd win, but then immediately quit with a 'you don't deserve me' tweet.

I can see that happening.

Kajigger

People are actually surprised? With enough money you can get a piece of toast to become president. It's how America works.

Suikoguy

No he isn't.

It's amusing that the poster accidentally pointed out the real reason.
Lack of knowledge about he candidate. lol

Honestly, his age is the primary reason of concern, to me anyways.

He would be, by far the oldest president.

Hillary Clinton would be 3rd oldest.

We know how things went with Reagan's second term. Which, frankly, i'm surprised did not get more public outcry after the fact.

Damaniel

Banned

It's not that they dislike Bernie, they strongly prefer Hillary. Prior to President Obama, her husband was, by far, the most popular president ever among black voters. Some of the support may be supporting Bill by proxy, some may be the feeling that she legitimately has the interests of black voters better in mind.

Bernie has a huge uphill battle to erode into black voter support that leans STRONGLY toward Hillary. He certainly has policies that help black voters from an economic standpoint, and probably has support for policies that help black voters from a social justice standpoint, but he hasn't effectively communicated those yet.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trump is for full national health using Canada as a base, don't let this charade fool you.

This was 15 years ago. Those are some pretty strong beliefs to suddenly go in the dead opposite direction

He said the bible was his favorite book and that a military themed prep school gave him more practical military experience than recent Iraq war vets.

Does he strike you as a man of unwavering principle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom