• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Offseason Thread: All Longhorn Network, All The Time*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NCAA now has new, more powerful weapons that they won't bother to use!

Stiff NCAA penalties on the way with new model

tS4Xw.png

Bryan D Fischer with an example

USC, for example, would be looking at 32-42 scholarships cut PER YEAR under new enforcement model

Cyan

Banned
How in the hell did Snyder get tossed after going 10-2?

Bockrath was a terrible, terrible AD. Just ask Bama fans. :p

But basically what happened is that Snyder had a verbal agreement on a new contract with the previous AD, who left for another job. Bockrath was hired, and essentially told Snyder to go fuck himself. It wasn't even a money issue so much as a control issue.

Snyder moved on to ASU, and Cal went back to sucking.

That's a chunk of change for relaying offensive plays called by Sark to the QB.

Huh. Well at least it's not a lateral move. Totally understandable that he'd leave for a promotion.

I still don't entirely get that hire. Tosh is a great coach and one of the best recruiters in the nation. Kiesau is a decent coach and a decent recruiter. Not even one of the best coaches at Cal.

Like I said before, this will fuck up our recruiting class even more, but I don't see how it really helps U Dub. The move just doesn't make sense, unless it's only to fuck with us.

Oh, that's right. And out of all the sports, you guys chose your highly successful and legendary baseball program initially?

Yeah.

Hey U Dub, how about poaching our AD while you're at it?

But basically what happened is that Snyder had a verbal agreement on a new contract with the previous AD, who left for another job. Bockrath was hired, and essentially told Snyder to go fuck himself. It wasn't even a money issue so much as a control issue.

So this asshole set the program back by 10 years in one fell swoop of pride. Amazing.

Huh. Well at least it's not a lateral move. Totally understandable that he'd leave for a promotion.

I still don't entirely get that hire. Tosh is a great coach and one of the best recruiters in the nation. Kiesau is a decent coach and a decent recruiter. Not even one of the best coaches at Cal.

Like I said before, this will fuck up our recruiting class even more, but I don't see how it really helps U Dub. The move just doesn't make sense, unless it's only to fuck with us.

Yeah.

Sorry Cyan

@AzizShittu Aziz Shittu
#fighton

https://twitter.com/#!/AzizShittu/status/159385797571784705

cdyhybrid

Yeah.

Our OC does most of the game planning during the week from what I understand, Sark just calls the plays.

Condotta is saying the 700-800k might be the total of the three-year contract, not the yearly number.

Also, our AD came from LSU, so we already took your AD... Although I don't think he was AD there, just an assistant.

I guess there are some out there that think he's a really good coach. From Greg Biggins twitter
Sounds like it, would be another great hire, last spring, Desean Jackson told me he was the best WR coach he has ever had

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So this asshole set the program back by 10 years in one fell swoop of pride. Amazing.

Could about say the same for Alabama.

Runs off Gene Stallings, and starts up the Dark Ages with the Hiring of Mike Dubose. Couple losing seasons, corruption, secretary fucking, buying high school coaches to steer recruits to Alabama, Major Probation, Dennis Franchione, IT'S ROLLING BABY, and finally to Mike Shuler.

I'm putting that all on Buck Fockrath.

Could about say the same for Alabama.

Runs off Gene Stallings, and starts up the Dark Ages with the Hiring of Mike Dubose. Couple losing seasons, corruption, secretary fucking, buying high school coaches to steer recruits to Alabama, Major Probation, Dennis Franchione, IT'S ROLLING BABY, and finally to Mike Shuler.

I'm putting that all on Buck Fockrath.

Why in the hell did he keep getting hired then? Was he good at getting money or something?

Lonestar

Why in the hell did he keep getting hired then? Was he good at getting money or something?

I'd say (with no real proof as usual!) that, as someone that hated "good ole boy" networks (power struggle with Stallings when he got hired), he was the beneficiary of his own "good ole boy" network. Andrew Sorenson was the University President at the time, wanted the Athletic Department to be fully under his control, and to do so, hired Bockrath.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2008/3/3/14051/34213

True, they listened to the stupid part of the fanbase that asked for Dubose, after their choices fell through (Frank Beamer). But the ball started with pissing off Stallings enough to retire.

Cyan - Maybe Cal should leave the Pac-12 for the New New Big East. The Big East is all about good coaching surpassing rivals.com recruiting rankings.

This could also be a good "eff you" to Washington.

Cyan

Banned
Latest I'm hearing is U Dub has made a salary-doubling offer to Oski. And have bought the rights to all our school songs.

Excuse me, our former school songs.

Jonm1010

Banned
From lurking at tiger droppings I have found out three things:

1) Northwestern has one top 100 recruit
2) Rutgers has one top 100 recruit

And now for the best point, and what made my morning:

3) They both have more then LSU, currently stuck at 0 top 100 recruits.

Don't go to tigerdroppings. They are perhaps the worst and most ignorant football forum on the Internet.

The amount of dumbfuckery that gets kicked around that forum is only rivaled by the truly insane places like raptureready. If you ever want to read the pits of ignorance that fellow Americans are capable of just visit that sites political discussion page.

Outside of the general friendliness at tailgating and around the city, baton rouge football fans are a class of dumb all to themselves.

I'm just pissed that this one game is probably going to have a profound impact on our ability to recruit in the short term as these young kids see LSU get absolutely embarrassed on the biggest stage. Despite what he may have said I'm pretty sure Gunner Kiehl is the first causality of that. Though I still think the media is overstating our QB development issues(our QB coach did in fact do wonders in his one year with Lee and Jefferson), it's a perception that can't be ignored. Mettenberger looked great in the spring game and word was he looked better in many if not most areas than Jefferson and Lee.

Don't go to tigerdroppings. They are perhaps the worst and most ignorant football forum on the Internet.

The amount of dumbfuckery that gets kicked around that forum is only rivaled by the truly insane places like raptureready. If you ever want to read the pits of ignorance that fellow Americans are capable of just visit that sites political discussion page.

Outside of the general friendliness at tailgating and around the city, baton rouge football fans are a class of dumb all to themselves.

I'm just pissed that this one game is probably going to have a profound impact on our ability to recruit in the short term as these young kids see LSU get absolutely embarrassed on the biggest stage. Despite what he may have said I'm pretty sure Gunner Kiehl is the first causality of that. Though I still think the media is overstating our QB development issues(our QB coach did in fact do wonders in his one year with Lee and Jefferson), it's a perception that can't be ignored. Mettenberger looked great in the spring game and word was he looked better in many if not most areas than Jefferson and Lee.

First off, no, they aren't the most ignorant fans on the internet. That crown is still held by texags.

Secondly, I was there for only the tears.

Thirdly, even if they are batshit crazy, LSU still has no top 100 recruits.

Jonm1010

Banned
First off, no, they aren't the most ignorant fans on the internet. That crown is still held by texags.

Secondly, I was there for only the tears.

Thirdly, even if they are batshit crazy, LSU still has no top 100 recruits.
I get you bigger point, LSU has a shitty class considering. But how many of the top 100 actually end up being in the top 100 of college players 3-4 years from now? Looking back at 08 and 07 it's a small handful.

I don't put a whole lot of stock in the top 100. Les has shown that if nothing else he is a good to great recruiter and he knows how to find talent........unless its a QB not named Matt Flynn. I think like almost all of his classes, hindsight will show that he had some pretty substantial talent that wasn't rated very high initially but ends up making a huge impact. lsu has yet to receive a top 3 grade in recruiting since Miles has been here if memory serves me correct yet he has managed to win one championship and get to another.

I get you bigger point, LSU has a shitty class considering. But how many of the top 100 actually end up being in the top 100 of college players 3-4 years from now? Looking back at 08 and 07 it's a small handful.

I don't put a whole lot of stock in the top 100. Les has shown that if nothing else he is a good to great recruiter and he knows how to find talent........unless its a QB not named Matt Flynn. I think like almost all of his classes, hindsight will show that he had some pretty substantial talent that wasn't rated very high initially but ends up making a huge impact.

I am not saying that you will find success for having a lot, but you're more likely to. The fact you don't have any, however, is a sign that something is fucked.

Jonm1010

Banned
I am not saying that you will find success for having a lot, but you're more likely to. The fact you don't have any, however, is a sign that something is fucked.

Why? Honestly, do me a favor and go back and look at LSU's five star recruits from the last 5 years. The first thing you will see is that most of those five star recruits hit probably half the time and many of those three and four star recruits ended up outplaying the five star guys. I agree it's discouraging we haven't landed a single one but it's not the end of the world. Shitty, yes.

Certainly our class has been disappointing by any metric but I see rivals and scout and such as a barometer of talent that gives you a ballpark figure of a guys potential but is far from a conclusive resource. It's certainly great media fodder and dick wagging material and certainly carries some weight but should be assessed more critically. I mean look at Florida State, Miami and Notre dame. Constant top recruiting classes and constantly shitty teams with relatively middling talent.

Lonestar

I don't put a whole lot of stock in the top 100. Les has shown that if nothing else he is a good to great recruiter and he knows how to find talent........unless its a QB not named Matt Flynn. I think like almost all of his classes, hindsight will show that he had some pretty substantial talent that wasn't rated very high initially but ends up making a huge impact. lsu has yet to receive a top 3 grade in recruiting since Miles has been here if memory serves me correct yet he has managed to win one championship and get to another.

Alabama
Rivals top 100

Rolando McClain - NFL issues aside, was an All Time great LB at Alabama. Up there with Cornelius Bennett and Derrick Thomas
Kerry Murphy - Contributed for a couple years, then either had health issues (commonly known as "Processed")
Brandon Gibson - Never quit on the team, but never did much. 20 receptions 204 yards and a TD in his career.

1 out of 3

Julio Jones - Best Alabama WR since Don Hutson
BJ Scott - Bust as far as I can tell, he got "Processed"
Tyler Love - He's STILL on the team. Overhyped in High school, has rarely seen the field.
Jerrell Harris - Had issues, but contributed nicely as a Senior, but not to the level he should have.
Alonzo Lawrence - Never really got on Campus, or was kicked out soon after. Bust as far as I know.
Mark Barron - 2 time All American, probably the best Safety in this years draft
Barrett Jones - All American, Outland Award Winner, back for another year, meaning his the best lineman @ Alabama for the 4th year in a row.
3 out of 7 (sorry Jerrell)

DJ Fluker - Good raw OT Prospect, 2 year starter, should have an NFL Career
Trent Richardson - Duuuuuhhhh
Dre Kirkpatrick - Besides the Sticky Icky, solid player that has measureables that "would" have gotten a top 10 pick. Now, I don't know, but he was still worth his ranking.
Nico Johnson - Him and CJ Mosley split alot of time at WILL linebacker. Good LB
Tana Patrick - Buried on the depth chart. Could be good, but I don't know if he has alot of time left.

4 out of 5

Dee Millner - 2 year starter, will likely be the #1 CB on the team this year
CJ Mosley - Besides having problems with Dislocating body parts, a great LB to follow up McClain and Hightower
John Fulton - Buried on the depth chart, maybe has enough time to start a season or 2, but hasn't shown much.
Phillip Sims - Hasn't gotten to the field, some people didn't like what they saw, but I saw some ability. Unknown if he sticks around to play 1 season after AJ leaves, but barring Injury, won't get to the field until 2014.
Alfy Hill - Screwed by the NCAA. I don't know where he's at, or how he's doing.
Deandrew White - Played a good bit, shows ability, will be one of our top 2 WR's
Jarrick Williams - Copy Paste what I typed for John Fulton.

4 out of 7* (counting Sims, he's the backup QB)

Cyrus Kouandjio - Looked good until he tore up his knee, but LT of the future
Hasean Clinton-Dix - Small time duty, but FS of the Future
Demetrius Hart - I really hope he heals completely from his ACL tear as well. Looked great in the spring last season
Brent Calloway - Might contribute, but I have that feeling he'll fall by the wayside
Jeoffrey Pagan - played sparingly as Freshmen, but should have a good future
Xzavier Dickson - Same as Pagan
Marvin Shinn - Redshirted WR, hoping he turns out pretty good
Trey DePriest - Lots of playing time, and will probably take over Hightower's MIKE LB spot.

7 out of 8* (but really, who the F knows this early)

So, not counting the most recent class, I feel Alabama's 12 out of 23, with Rival's top 100 players. And that's with Saban, who I feel has a good eye for talent.

But if you limit it to top 100 talent when LEAVING college, it's probably more like 8 out of 23.

Nowhere on this list, are any of the JUCO players that have gone to the NFL (Mount Cody, James Carpenter, Dequan Menzie*Upcoming Draft), Mark Ingram, Marcel Dareus, Mike Johnson. Probably a few others in the upcoming drafts as well.

cdyhybrid

Yep, we run a decent amount of plays, not a ton, but we run them out of so many different formations, with so much motion, that it's hard to keep track of where people are and where the ball is going.

Lonestar

See a couple similarities. Running out of the shotgun, some of the bunch formation PA passes. Though, hard to get a good readout, with UW in major pass mode early (down 21-0), and Baylor's "defense."

See a couple similarities. Running out of the shotgun, some of the bunch formation PA passes. Though, hard to get a good readout, with UW in major pass mode early (down 21-0), and Baylor's "defense."
The same guy has similar highlight packages on his Youtube channel for other games.

The Utah game was a much more balanced attack with Polk going off in the second half.

Skip to the 5:30 mark

cdyhybrid

Sark is woofing...who is it?! Idiots over at Realdawg said it was Beaver but he's denying the story, has a visit to Oklahoma this weekend.

It's 3 Woofs, so either 3 commits or he is just doing it for the 3 most recent coaching hires.

edit-Dawgman saying Beaver has committed.

Lonestar

Not understanding this whole "woof" thing.

Does this have something to do with hc2?

Is this like shining a bat symbol to call out hc2?

cdyhybrid

Not understanding this whole "woof" thing.

Does this have something to do with hc2?

Is this like shining a bat symbol to call out hc2?

Sark posts a Tweet reading "Woof" whenever someone commits. He can't say who it is because of NCAA rules, but this usually sends the recruiting sites out to figure out who it is, and we all find out soon after that.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sark posts a Tweet reading "Woof" whenever someone commits. He can't say who it is because of NCAA rules, but this usually sends the recruiting sites out to figure out who it is, and we all find out soon after that.

My coach tweets about once every 4 months and can't spell.

andycapps

So Sark used to post on GAF and is a UGA fan?

In schedule news, it appears USF offered to play UCF this season - but at the Citrus Bowl instead of at UCF's stadium. UCF declined.

That also confirms UCF has a vacancy on their schedule due to Kansas State backing out of their game in Orlando. Hearing that Mizzou is the replacement. If that's the case and Tyler Gabbert beats out our current QB starter, I hope he doesn't have a breakdown or something.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Tress is allegedly interviewing for the Colts HC job.

He would be a TERRIBLE NFL head coach. Just awful.

This is the only reason they brought him in this year. I don't think he'll get the job but will move up and become an assistant somewhere in the org.

I don't know how well he would do in the nfl, I think he is too much of a nice guy to deal with the nfl egos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom