• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Seven: It's Never the Right Time to Wear Orange.

Trying to stay positive after last night. If Wisconsin can play at the same caliber they did against OSU for the rest of the schedule, there's no reason they shouldn't win out. Not as an insult to other Big Ten teams, but it's clear there's a large talent gap between the Buckeyes and everyone else in the B1G. I would be surprised if both them and Michigan don't end up undefeated before their ultimate showdown. Hopefully one of you two beat Bama.

andycapps

Some good news is that I'm building a PC right now, should be finished today, so my end of podcast audio should be better and I should be able to get the podcast out quicker.

My opinion of the UGA loss yesterday is a lot less hot takes than what UGA fandom Twitter was going on about. Not sure if anyone cares, but here goes.

The loss yesterday was unacceptable. UGA dominated offensive yardage, defensive yards allowed, time of possession, 3rd down conversions, etc. The game should not have been close. This UGA team is playing down to the level of the opponents.

4th and 1 with the game on the line and you have Chubb block as a fullback for 5'7" 160 lb McKenzie on a run off RT? That's an OC trying to be too cute. Give it to Chubb, tell your OL to dominate the LOS for one play, knock them off the ball, and get a yard. That should be easy.

This is clearly a rebuilding year. The OL is maddeningly inconsistent like most of our team. Eason is inconsistent but he's a true freshman (had a great game yesterday though). There aren't many upperclassmen that are contributing. And we have a first year head coach with a brand new staff.

All of the above combined makes me relax and say that we had a shot for a 9-3 season, stretch 10-2 season, at the beginning of the year. 8-4 wasn't out of the question and might be optimistic given what this team has shown thus far.

It's Kirby's first season as a head coach. Willing to give a little grace there because the decision to replace Richt was probably the right one, yet there are issues he inherited that I mentioned above, combined with learning on the job. He's got recruiting humming right along and I think that next year should be a decent improvement on this year but 2018 is when I'd expect to see a pretty good team. At that point we should be able to make a judgment on Kirby as a coach. Until that point, all the hand wringing seems really premature.

But what do I know.

It could also be worse. We could be Sparty this year. They can't blame their problems on a new coach.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Some good news is that I'm building a PC right now, should be finished today, so my end of podcast audio should be better and I should be able to get the podcast out quicker.

Just don't shop when inebriated as a result of depression. You will definitely overbuy. :p

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Actually didn't have one drink yesterday. I was shopping at Microcenter after the game and putting most of it together after it. Have to make another trip today, I think.

Good man. It's good I am a sober man after Nebraska's last aeaspn of misfortune and am still not buying into this season's 6-0 quite yet. If we beat Wisconsin or by some miracle, OSU (Bauserman isn't still playing, is he?), then I will say we are back, but I am expecting implosion at any moment!

Actually didn't have one drink yesterday. I was shopping at Microcenter after the game and putting most of it together after it. Have to make another trip today, I think.

I was actually wondering if anyone had tabs on your health yesterday.

Building a PC is the best. So much fun, frustration, anxiety and excitement.

I'm still firmly in camp Kirby, despite being a Gator and thus a natural enemy of all things emanating from Athens, including and fucking especially REM.

andycapps

Good man. It's good I am a sober man after Nebraska's last aeaspn of misfortune and am still not buying into this season's 6-0 quite yet. If we beat Wisconsin or by some miracle, OSU (Bauserman isn't still playing, is he?), then I will say we are back, but I am expecting implosion at any moment!
Honestly it wasn't by design, I just got too busy and forgot, if that's believable. When I get busy with something I focus on it above anything else.

Nebraska is so far doing better than my team, Notre Dame, and Sparty so that's something to hang your hat on.

Theletdown- thanks for the concern. I'm perfectly fine. These are just games and I don't let my happiness get affected by them like I used to.

Right now the PC building hasn't gotten to the fun part, but I should be there by the end of the day. Wish I had some games to play once it's setup. Was hoping I could get a free game with the video card but no dice. Can probably get Paragon and DOTA if I feel like playing DOTA. Was hoping for an FPS.

Honestly it wasn't by design, I just got too busy and forgot, if that's believable. When I get busy with something I focus on it above anything else.

Nebraska is so far doing better than my team, Notre Dame, and Sparty so that's something to hang your hat on.

Theletdown- thanks for the concern. I'm perfectly fine. These are just games and I don't let my happiness get affected by them like I used to.

Right now the PC building hasn't gotten to the fun part, but I should be there by the end of the day. Wish I had some games to play once it's setup. Was hoping I could get a free game with the video card but no dice. Can probably get Paragon and DOTA if I feel like playing DOTA. Was hoping for an FPS.

Come player overwatch with me!

Purdue has fired head coach Darell Hazell, always liked him as an assistant here, but Drew Brees aint coming through that door again at Purdue

andycapps

Purdue has fired head coach Darell Hazell, always liked him as an assistant here, but Drew Brees aint coming through that door again at Purdue
Will have to see how my boss is doing tomorrow. He was good friends with Hazell and went to a lot of the games.

Honestly have no clue what games I'm going to get. Siege is tempting because I love it on ps4 and there's a good PC community.

The Halloween event they're doing is super cool, plus competitive is actually a decent amount of fun now. It's worth going back to.

Huh. This thread of all places is the one place on GAF that's down on the game.

In most GAF threads, gaming or not, going against the hive mind tends to get you banned. Getting some opinions in a random thread is probably the best way to get people's honest opinions without them fearing repercussions.

Ha, Stanford still won. Told y'all the domers suck.

Wazzu being UCLA is awesome. And I can't believe Wiscy choooooooked away that game. I mean, I can, but still. Same with NC State. Weak.

Saw something earlier than Sparty has like a 7% chance to make a bowl game now.

I'll reiterate again and say that I kinda feel sorry for a team that looked like they were on the way to elitedom just go completely to shit (Oregon's also on this list). Hopefully they recover from this season, which I do think they will since it's Dantonio and disrespek fuels him, but we'll see.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Coaches' Poll: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2016/8/

1. Alabama (61)
2. Ohio State (2)
3. Clemson (1)
4. Michigan
5. Washington
6. Texas A&M
7. Louisville
8. Baylor
9. Nebraska
10. Wisconsin
11. Houston
12. Florida
13. West Virginia
14. Boise State
15. Florida State
16. Oklahoma
17. Arkansas
18. Utah
19. Tennessee
20. Western Michigan
21. North Carolina
22. Ole Miss
23. LSU
24. Auburn
25. Navy

New AP poll out. Michigan looked some dominant vs bye they jump Clemson

1.Bama
2.OSU
3. Michigan
4. Clemson
5. Washington
6. AM
7. Louisville
8. Nebraska.
9. Baylor
10. Wisconsin

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

New AP poll
http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2017/8

Top Ten:
1-Bama
2-OSU
3-Michigan
4-Clemson
5-Washington
6-A&M
7-Louisville
8-Nebraska
9-Baylor
10-Wisconsin

Nebraska number 8? be still my heart

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I remember the last time we were ranked this high. /nervous pulling at collar.

I hope they hold out Westerkamp and Carter for Purdue, and if we get enough of a lead, pull Tommie for the backups. We will need everyone as healthy as possible for Wiscy. As good as they look defensively, I think their offense suits our defense about as well as can be hoped for. Going to be a hell of a game! I will be proud of the team win or lose if they just don't give the game away with stupid penalties and stupid turnovers.

Forgot to say: we have already matched last season's win total. Suck it, FyreWulff! :p

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I remember the last time we were ranked this high. /nervous pulling at collar.

I hope they hold out Westerkamp and Carter for Purdue, and if we get enough of a lead, pull Tommie for the backups. We will need everyone as healthy as possible for Wiscy. As good as they look defensively, I think their offense suits our defense about as well as can be hoped for. Going to be a hell of a game! I will be proud of the team win or lose if they just don't give the game away with stupid penalties and stupid turnovers.

Forgot to say: we have already matched last season's win total. Suck it, FyreWulff! :p

I don't expect West back until tOSU.

Carter back for Wisconsin

Hopefully Armstrong's ankle can heal up. Gates is hurting at LT too. We are really beat up and our lack of depth is hurting esp with having to play full 60 minutes

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So is Harbaugh raising bar for the entire state of Michigan or something? WMU, CMU, and EMU are a combined 17-4, and two of those four losses are to each other.

I think Oregon rebounds next year and keeps the same staff tbh.

Young talent is young.

I thought Oregon's recruiting was down, but I checked the composite ratings and from 2012-2015 they have the third best recruiting in the conference (behind USC and UCLA). Which I guess just goes to show how much coaching and development matter.

This was before last years classes of course.

Edit: Their 2016 class fell off a bit, http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Top Bottom