• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Amy Schumer responds to being called out for racially insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damerman

my philosophy on Comedy is that everything is fair game. It's some kind of social experiment that pushes the boundaries of what conversations can be about relevant to the times. If there is no malicious intent that incites mob mentality, i think it's fine. I laughed at the joke, i laughed at her black jokes and I'll laugh at anything else i find that she says is funny. If she goes out and persecutes a certain group on real sensitive issues, then the comedy might be wrong.

the only problem is when people go out in real life and try to emulate those jokes... they always fail in trying to appear ironic. But with stand up comedy it's a sort of vacuum where everyone is on equal grounds and it's an art that everyone should be able to appreciate.

Writing comedy you don't like off as "lazy" is probably the laziest critique possible. I mean at least try to be a bit more inventive.

Yup. And it's really no use calling Schumer or others unfunny when there is a demonstrably large group of people who find them entertaining, unless you're just trying to proclaim your bias.

someday

Banned
I get what she's going for here - the "black friend" and inability to remember the friend's name point to this being something where the joke's supposed to be on the "Amy Schumer" persona. Keeping "Amy Schumer" and casual white racism as the butt of the joke is a really tough and important thing to do with this type of material, and I don't think she succeeds 100% here in doing that - especially on the Google joke.

Considering pretty much all of Amy's racial humor that I've seen involves turning herself into a caricature of a racist and making that ridiculously racist caricature the butt of the jokes, I don't quite understand those who think she's racist. I see those jokes as mocking racism, not mocking a race, though maybe that's just me being optimistic.
I have to agree with both of these comments. I only recently got into Amy Schumer and binge watched all of her tv show. I'm admittedly pretty thin-skinned with racist, sexist, homophobic, etc jokes but for some reason, Amy has built up enough "good will" where I can forgive the occasional misstep. Her whole persona is that of a self-entitled, narcissistic, oblivious white girl and the butt of the joke is almost always her. I think for someone who is familiar with her comedy it isn't so offensive. The jokes are almost always on her.

I notice that a lot of people's opinions on political correctness in comedy seem to hinge on their predisposed feelings towards whichever particular comedian is being talked about at the time.

Louis C.K can say it, but as soon as a female comedian says it she gets shamed! I think the public just isn't adjusted to a woman comedian utilizing race material. She doesn't make it her ENTIRE act either, just like Louis C.K doesn't target race in his entire stand up. If Schumer has any shtick, its talking about sex not race.

Damerman

Considering pretty much all of Amy's racial humor that I've seen involves turning herself into a caricature of a racist and making that ridiculously racist caricature the butt of the jokes, I don't quite understand those who think she's racist. I see those jokes as mocking racism, not mocking a race, though maybe that's just me being optimistic.

this is what i understood from it.

Flo_Evans

I have to agree with both of these comments. I only recently got into Amy Schumer and binge watched all of her tv show. I'm admittedly pretty thin-skinned with racist, sexist, homophobic, etc jokes but for some reason, Amy has built up enough "good will" where I can forgive the occasional misstep. Her whole persona is that of a self-entitled, narcissistic, oblivious white girl and the butt of the joke is almost always her. I think for someone who is familiar with her comedy it isn't so offensive. The jokes are almost always on her.

I thought this was pretty obvious...

I don't think she really does it well, its a hamfisted attempt to point out the obnoxiousness of entitled white people but falls short because she isn't very good.

Jebusman

Banned
Racist jokes are NEVER funny and if you think they are you ARE a racist and part of the problem.

Anything can be funny.

Anything.

It might take more work to make it funny, and potentially be outside the skill range of the comedian trying to make that joke, but any topic can be funny (as impossible as it might seem for some).

Trying to declare anything as "Not funny. Full stop" helps no one.

Jebusman

Banned
I thought this was pretty obvious...

I don't think she really does it well, its a hamfisted attempt to point out the obnoxiousness of entitled white people but falls short because she isn't very good.

Considering people in this thread would consider her to be actually racist, would you say she's not very good at playing the role, or she's "too" good at playing the role that people actually buy into it being her genuine thoughts.

Amy Schumer's humor is basically "Hey, I'm a white girl who acts like other dumb white girls" to be funny. Her humor isn't for me. It's really lazy valley girl shit.

Reading those articles, I don't know or understand why these writers are holding her up to be a "feminist icon" and feel she's above making bad race jokes. How many of her good race jokes land?

Damn
She's got nice legs.

If you watch "Inside Amy Schumer" on Comedy Central, you get a lot of her. Enjoy.

Merc_

She seems like the pretty usual white feminist to me. She only cares about people that look like her and nothing more.

phanphare

Banned
Don't really think she's funny but I support comedians. She's a comedian, comedian's have always said outrageous shit. Get over it.

Imagine if Blazing Saddles came out today, jeez.

just going to co-sign this

not a fan of amy's humor, but I am a fan of her doing her thing

Don't get the Louis CK comparisons. Louis always pokes fun at privilege and goes out of his way to say that the way gay people, minorities, and women are treated is backwards and awful. This sets up any time he makes a bald-faced statement like "it was sad when they took our slaves away" to be really obviously ironic.

I'm not sure what Amy really believes when she says, (paraphrased) "I used to date Latinos but now I prefer consensual." That sounds like a legitimate complaint she is trying to lodge in a funny way, but whatever she's going for, I don't like her stereotyping an entire race in the process. Louis would never do that in a way where you weren't sure where he stood.

old

Calling jokes you don't like "lazy" is lazy.

Claiming a successful comedian "isn't funny" is idiotic.

Flo_Evans

Considering people in this thread would consider her to be actually racist, would you say she's not very good at playing the role, or she's "too" good at playing the role that people actually buy into it being her genuine thoughts.

I don't think she is good at making herself the joke and not the stereotype she is using. Its not really clear if she is making fun of silly sounding ethnic names or a sheltered white persons reaction to them.

Like the joke needs a 2nd part thats says "so I actually googled Jessica and it means whore" or something.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Is that even a stereotype? Regardless, the reason why it's not positive is because stereotypes create expectations. So if you're an unemployed American, people who believe that all Americans are good workers might be extra harsh on you. Or if you're Asian and you're bad at math, people might mock you for it.

If you are using a positive stereotype in a way that puts people down then of course it is going to be bad. To directly answer if that is a stereotype -- you can make up stereotypes very easily and almost any generalization can be one.

However, the simple statement of "Asians are good at math" or "Americans are good workers" are positive stereotypes -- the obvious result is when you generalize ANYTHING you are not accounting for the exceptions which is why it is hard to separate it when stereotypes get conflated with being things that are always negative. Which they are not always negative.

The nuances of statements and especially when you are talking about comedy/satire, these concepts and knowing the differences are important.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ha ha ha big ups to whoever changed the thread title.

Much like the Rose McGowan thread just being titled "Actress...." it was stupid as hell for this Amy Schumer thread to have been titled just "famous comedian."

If this had been Louis CK or someone it'd have been Louis Ck in the thread title not famous comedian.

I wasn't intending this as a click bait title or anything. The point was so that one could look at the situation while minimizing preconceived notions first. This was so that if a reader read the first part, felt a certain way, found out it was Amy Schumer, then felt another way, that it's a good way to indicate to the reader that his or her standards of judgement might need some refinement.

I notice that a lot of people's opinions on political correctness in comedy seem to hinge on their predisposed feelings towards whichever particular comedian is being talked about at the time.

Basically this.

JDSN

Banned
I dont think comedians are fully responsible from some of the repercussions their material create, Chris Rock is not to blame when some douche says that the N-word means uneducated and not race, Louis C.K is not to blame when some douche feels okay with calling other fags, Stephen Fry is not to blame when some dude uses that fucking quote. Sometimes assholes (purposely) misinterpreted some material and the context its told in order to excuse their own views on something, they only see the superficial message and laugh while saying "So right!" when in reality the comedian is trying to do the contrary, to make people question the validity of some of the thoughts they have, after all, a dude just got a few laughs for saying it out loud.

Even poor George Carlin that is brought up everytime its time to talk about political correctness, when he would probably tell the ones that quote him to shut the fuck off.

should be a drinking game

It gets really weird when you point out examples of similar modern films and they get denied.

What am I supposed to say about a joke that didn't make me laugh? Is a lengthy diatribe expected to go along?

we should have a poll after every joke to determine if its funny or not.

like a grading system.

"this joke met the 60% laughter quota for it to be considered funny, next one!"

Generally. I don't think anyone really has a hardline stance on what humor is or isn't on GAF, but man are there plenty of Gaffers who lets a comedian's opinions dictate their purview/opinions.

It gets really fucking old to hear George Carlin or Bill Hicks and "political correctness" in the same sentence together. They're on stage, not you. Stop parroting their thoughts.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What am I supposed to say about a joke that didn't make me laugh? Is a lengthy diatribe expected to go along?

You can say something doesn't make you laugh. There's plenty of comedy I don't find funny. I do however acknowledge the fact that just because I don't think its funny it doesn't mean that other people don't. Nor does it mean that the author is racist,sexist, homophobic or whatever other thing that's being sjw'd hard that week.

Infinite

we should have a poll after every joke to determine if its funny or not.

like a grading system.

"this joke met the 60% laughter quota for it to be considered funny, next one!"

Yeah let's just put the joke on reddit and see how many up votes it gets.

You can say something doesn't make you laugh. There's plenty of comedy I don't find funny. I do however acknowledge the fact that just because I don't think its funny it doesn't mean that other people don't. Nor does it mean that the author is racist,sexist, homophobic or whatever other thing that's being sjw'd hard that week.
I mean, I wasn't even addressing nor even thinking about the later part of your post. I responded to a post which kinda said that saying you thought a joke just wasn't that funny is a lazy crticism of said joke and I'm like what the fuck do you want from people.

Don't know much about her, but she seems to be doing that 'layer of irony', post-Office thing where her character is kind of the butt of the joke.

So you're not so much laughing at the dumb things she says as you are laughing at her for saying the dumb things she says. That seems to be what she's trying to say in her defence as well.

ampere

However, the simple statement of "Asians are good at math" or "Americans are good workers" are positive stereotypes -- the obvious result is when you generalize ANYTHING you are not accounting for the exceptions which is why it is hard to separate it when stereotypes get conflated with being things that are always negative. Which they are not always negative.

Yeah, but even a "positive stereotype" can be a bad thing. If you're Asian and not good at math it's probably annoying to have people toss that one around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom