• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Amy Schumer responds to being called out for racially insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah let's just put the joke on reddit and see how many up votes it gets.

I mean, I wasn't even addressing nor even thinking about the later part of your post. I responded to a post which kinda said that saying you thought a joke just wasn't that funny is a lazy crticism of said joke and I'm like what the fuck do you want from people.

Crossed some wires. Yeah comedy can definitely be lazy. There's a reason why plagiarism and hacky comedy is a thing. My comment was meant for the crowd who fall back on 'lazy writing' after they exhaust every other argument and fail at making anything stick.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah, but even a "positive stereotype" can be a bad thing. If you're Asian and not good at math it's probably annoying to have people toss that one around.

yes, that's what i said in what you quoted lol

it depends on how you use a stereotype. But the point is that you can definitely have positive stereotypes and negative stereotypes. If all stereotypes were negative then there would be no reason to call them "negative stereotypes" right? It would be like saying "positive racism" -- there is no such thing as being positive in racism. Unless you're trying to make some sort of satirical joke...

Pejo

Dane Cook was really successful at one time, right?

I saw Dane Cook do standup, it was hilarious.

We should just cancel comedy and satire for this generation.

Totally agree with this. The no-fun brigade is going to haunt creative outlets and artists for probably the next 5-7 years. People that would rather complain about things being created than create something themselves. I have a feeling it will eventually sort itself out, but it's going to be a real shitfest for comedy and other similar fields.

ampere

yes, that's what i said in what you quoted lol

it depends on how you use a stereotype. But the point is that you can definitely have positive stereotypes and negative stereotypes. If all stereotypes were negative then there would be no reason to call them "negative stereotypes" right? It would be like saying "positive racism" -- there is no such thing as being positive in racism. Unless you're trying to make some sort of satirical joke...

Whoops, must have glossed over that somehow

Dane Cook was really successful at one time, right?

I keep seeing this in these threads. I hate Dane Cook, but dude has made MILLIONS. Has his popularity died down? Absolutely. But he's still making a GREAT living off what he does, has a Showtime special coming out and everything. But yeah, he keeps trucking along, making insane money telling jokes, because no one finds him funny.

There's too many just too many adorable posts to touch upon here, and all that ends up happening is running around in circles.

Calcaneus

Criticizing a comedians work for being racist, or sexist, or whatever is totally valid criticism. Some people act like the only criteria a comedian should be judged on is whether they make you laugh, and that bringing anything else into it is completely KILLING comedy. But really, there's more to it than that and lots of comedians will agree with that.

Comedians love when they are praised for their social commentary and the boundaries they push, so why can't they be criticized for their social commentary as well? They can't have it both ways, you can't choose when to be taken seriously.

Nozem

It appears there is an directly proportional relationship between A) how many people are offended at a joke and B) how funny I think that joke is.

jmdajr

Criticizing a comedians work for being racist, or sexist, or whatever is totally valid criticism. Some people act like the only criteria a comedian should be judged on is whether they make you laugh, and that bringing anything else into it is completely KILLING comedy. But really, there's more to it than that and lots of comedians will agree with that.

Comedians love when they are praised for their social commentary and the boundaries they push, so why can't they be criticized for their social commentary as well? They can't have it both ways, you can't choose when to be taken seriously.

And once said comedian says their intentions of meaning no harm, do you believe them? Do the pitchforks go away? Or now we just go. "Oh, well you suck anyway for not being good."

I think those that believe in their craft/art and have good intentions just have to keep fighting the fight and take the punches as they roll.

I think the comics job is to find the envelope, and push it further. And that is what she does. Can't blame the woman, she's only doing her job, and it's funny. Grow up.

Calcaneus

And once said comedian says their intentions of meaning no harm, do you believe them? Do the pitchforks go away? Or now we just go. "Oh, well you suck anyway for not being good."

I think those that believe in their craft/art and have good intentions just have to keep fighting the fight and take the punches as they roll.
For the most part I believe that they don't mean any harm, doesn't mean no harm was done. A good response to criticism like this can go a long way. Not to say I need comedians to apologize and vow to never make a racist joke again, but at least take what people are saying seriously. I didn't really see that here.

As far as pitchforks go, I don't have one, and neither to most people in this thread. Nobody's boycotting for her to lose her show or anything.

I think the comics job is to find the envelope, and push it further. And that is what she does. Can't blame the woman, she's only doing her job, and it's funny. Grow up.

Irony: Telling people to grow up because they criticize something.

You can think that comedians should push the envelope while also thinking that the general public should always be critical of things that they take issue with.

jmdajr

You can think that comedians should push the envelope while also thinking that the general public should always be critical of things that they take issue with.

What are we criticizing though? The performance? Or are we totally changing the rules of what falls under comedy?

Infinite

Also sometimes you are just going to fail and risk looking real shitty to your audience.
Crossed some wires. Yeah comedy can definitely be lazy. There's a reason why plagiarism and hacky comedy is a thing. My comment was meant for the crowd who fall back on 'lazy writing' after they exhaust every other argument and fail at making anything stick.

Understood. I think there's something to be said about how discourse unfolds on the internet and how often people can't make the distinction between who someone is and what they said when debating these rather sensitive topics and issues. If I was criticiquing her humor for being racist or whatever I would honestly make it clear that I'm only talking about a certain joke she made that came off as racist to me. I wouldn't say I thought she is racist for making it because that's a completely differently discussion. People on the Internet sometimes don't make these distinctions and that's why these discussions go to shit a lot.

I think the entire point of the joke is she's coming off as racist. And by saying shit most normal people wouldn't dare say (publicly) she gets the crowd laughing.

I guess the real question is would this material work in front of a non-white crowd?

gogosox82

Meh. Joke would've been better if she would have made the joke be about her white privilege instead of "black people have crazy names" or "black people talk loud in theaters". Thought she was going to go there with the google line but then she got lazy imo.

braves01

Banned
Well, I knew based on how hard she was trying to be seen as funny that eventually she'd trip up somewhere. Now she's just an unfunny racist feminist.

Fugu

The problem is that making fun of minorities on the basis of the stereotypes that the white majority has created for them is the opposite of pushing the envelope.

It would, however, be pushing the envelope to direct comedy squarely at the failure of a large number of comedians to move on from simple-minded stereotypes.

The only racist jokes I heard that made me uncomfortable is Louis C.K.'s skit when he was so casually using the n word. However it didn't make me angry, and I wouldn't waste my time boycotting something like that. If I were truly offended by a joke, I would stop giving the offender attention and move on with my life.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Eh my only problem is she was sort of rattling off the stereotypes without them necessarily being related to the set up, I didn't really think of it as racist but see how it could be construed as such. I don't think that she should change her act, but she also needs to know that its her choice if it backfires badly

I know that some people are upset that white comics don't have the same leash that minority comics do in terms of racial humor and whether or not thats fair or not.

Can't remember who it was that said it but it was something to the effect of if the burden of racial injustice that whites have to bear is that they can't make jokes at about other races, then they are still getting the better end of the bargain.

Historically its hard to dispute that.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
OMG, a comedian was INSENSITIVE? Say it ain't so.

Well, if you want me to put it in other words, I definitely DON'T find it funny at all for her to personally take aim at A recovering substance abuser and openly mocking him about the passing of his close friend. I don't find it funny that she perpetuates a stereotype of Latino males being serial rapists, I don't find it funny she insults black culture, and I don't find it heroic that she's doubling down and saying a joke is a joke and deal with it. Those 'harmless' types are stereotypes aren't harmless. She's a really respected and intellectualized figure in comedy. I'm not saying I'm appalled or offended, but what she is doing is not socially empowering at all, especially in a society that is becoming increasingly racially tensioned.

As a mexican, like many other mexicans in the thread, we don't really give a shit about the jokes, well maybe the rape joke since a lot of people are sore after Trump's idiocy, but the thing is just because we're less sensitive than SJW make it look like doens't mean it's okay the shit she's doing, because she's punching down.

That's like the only Rule of comedy, "Don't punch down", you punch down and you're an asshole, it's not funny to make fun of people who are having a harder time than you. That's going for low hanging fruit, that's the sort of thing that makes people call you a racist, and frankly her [non] apology even sounds like the typical "im not racist, but" bullshit.

I remember Craig Ferguson once apologizing for making fun of Britney Spears, his rationalization was that, as a public figure and satirialist, he and others needed to use their ability to make fun of those in power, not against those that already already have problems or are vulnerable within society. Look at our country. Yes, being a white male or female may very well be easier than being Latino or Black. Point is, why are we championing this endearingly packaged bigotry when it's so easy to hate Donald Sterling or Donald Trump. What's Amy Schumer doing that's any more pleasant and applaudable?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here is a (sort of) defense of Amy from Think Progress.

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/20...-amy-schumers-alleged-blind-spot-around-race/

What Schumer is describing here is a tricky feat and, as she writes in her defense, you have to trust her. But I’d argue that Schumer’s sketches and jokes about race aren’t making fun of the minority group in question: they are making fun of the ignorance or discomfort that a specific type of white girl has about people of color.

When Schumer plays the girl — for lack of a better term of art, Amy is playing That Girl, as in, “Don’t be that girl” — and she’s leaning hard into unflattering-at-best stereotypes about people of color, the joke is on the white girl. The person who looks bad is not the person of color but the character Amy is playing. You don’t walk away from those jokes thinking: Wow, she seems like a real smart cookie, I’m sure everything she’s saying is 100 percent accurate. You cringe on her behalf, and maybe, if you have ever been or been around That Girl, you feel a twinge of recognition.

Whether or not she it pulls off is a matter of taste, though as Schumer writes, she can tell the jokes are working because people laugh. If you watch clips of her standup, you’ll see that she’s telling the truth. Maybe her audiences are predominately white; maybe whoever wouldn’t find those jokes funny wouldn’t find themselves in the crowd to begin with. But if people didn’t laugh, she’d cut the jokes out of her set.

“I’m a comedian” is not an absolute defense against bad taste. It’s not a Get Out Of Jail Free Card. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. And when comedians try to justify why a joke doesn’t land, plenty opt out of allowing for the possibility that the joke was poorly constructed but choose to respond to that criticism with, “Well, the problem is you, the audience, not me, the performer.” Often this takes the form of insisting that people didn’t laugh at some racist, homophobic or misogynist thing because people are politically correct to the point of being humorless. This was the gist of Jerry Seinfeld’s recent explanation for no longer playing campuses: college students are “way too P.C.”
The really questionable lines here are not in the bulk of Schumer’s work but in her response post: “Trust me. I am not a racist. I am a devout feminist and lover of all people. My fight is for all people to be treated equally.” Amy’s feminist bondafides are well established; she has arguably done as much, if not more, to advance conversations about feminism in 2015 than anyone else out there. But feminist cred isn’t a shield against accusations of racism. I don’t think Schumer’s jokes are racist, but I also don’t think “I’m a feminist” is a good way of refuting that claim.

Dryk

Well, if you want me to put it in other words, I definitely DON'T find it funny at all for her to personally take aim at A recovering substance abuser and openly mocking him about the passing of his close friend. I don't find it funny that she perpetuates a stereotype of Latino males being serial rapists, I don't find it funny she insults black culture, and I don't find it heroic that she's doubling down and saying a joke is a joke and deal with it. Those 'harmless' types are stereotypes aren't harmless. She's a really respected and intellectualized figure in comedy. I'm not saying I'm appalled or offended, but what she is doing is not socially empowering at all, especially in a society that is becoming increasingly racially tensioned.
The thing I don't get is that from what I gather her usual fare is about casual sexism in the media. Shouldn't she understand why people are annoyed and be able to respond more appropriately?

I have never been out to a comedy club night where there wasn't a ton of racist or sexist jokes being told. It's always seemed in good fun and anything goes when it comes to adult comedy.

The thing I don't get is that from what I gather her usual fare is about casual sexism in the media. Shouldn't she understand why people are annoyed and be able to respond more appropriately?
Yeah, this has been a weird problem in "white feminism" forever. I really don't understand how she doesn't see it. Rentahamster's link says what I was thinking about how her saying "I'm not racist" on its own isn't a defense. That's what everyone says. (I don't think she actually is either, but she could check herself and understand why her gender comedy works better.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

See, your middle quote explains how the joke is meant to be read. I know the bit the jokes are in and it's not like she jumps straight to the racial stuff, there's a certain amount of set up that she does first to establish the character of "That Girl." She's supposed to make the character look racist because that's the joke.

What are we criticizing though? The performance? Or are we totally changing the rules of what falls under comedy?

Who cares? It sounds to me like you're trying to create a ruleset for specifically comedians. No one gets questioned like this if they criticize a game for having shit graphics, unless they're daft.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Also sometimes you are just going to fail and risk looking real shitty to your audience.

Understood. I think there's something to be said about how discourse unfolds on the internet and how often people can't make the distinction between who someone is and what they said when debating these rather sensitive topics and issues. If I was criticiquing her humor for being racist or whatever I would honestly make it clear that I'm only talking about a certain joke she made that came off as racist to me. I wouldn't say I thought she is racist for making it because that's a completely differently discussion. People on the Internet sometimes don't make these distinctions and that's why these discussions go to shit a lot.

Being objective is hard. It's really hard when you consider how many moving parts these kind of discussions can have. It's just so easy and tempting to form reactionary opinions. Arguing intent especially seems to go to shit in a hurry.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
See, your middle quote explains how the joke is meant to be read. I know the bit the jokes are in and it's not like she jumps straight to the racial stuff, there's a certain amount of set up that she does first to establish the character of "That Girl." She's supposed to make the character look racist because that's the joke.
It seems plain as day to me.

What's funny about racial humor a century ago? "that minority has laughable traits"

What's funny about racial humor now? "Racism is laughable"

The butt of the joke is on a completely different subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom