• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Amy Schumer responds to being called out for racially insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always going to be at least one person in the world that's offended by something, just because one topic hits too close to home for you doesn't mean you have a right to be upset

So we should either not have comedy at all ever or have comedy where we can joke and have fun with any topic.

There's always going to be at least one person in the world that's offended by something, just because one topic hits too close to home for you doesn't mean you have a right to be upset

I don't believe that you actually believe this.

So we should either not have comedy at all ever or have comedy where we can joke and have fun with any topic.

Those don't seem like the only options on the table.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Does Lisa Lampenelli still perform? I can't imagine people don't get passed at her nowadays.

CIGjV2wUYAAzLWU.jpg

This is mildly amusing.

espher

Amy is using the paraprosdokian technique in a lot of her material, which is basically just ending a seemingly normal statement in an unexpected way; guys like Steven Wright and Mitch Hedburg did this a lot. The punchline of a joke's only purpose is to surprise you, so in that way the joke works purely on a technical level. Whether or not it's offensive to a group seems secondary to the art of crafting and devliering the joke. It being racially charged is basically just like putting hot sauce on it and when taken in context, it doesn't seem like there's a statement being made so much as she's just trying to be surprising by playing with stereotypes. The joke works because it's fucked up and wrong and she's giving the audience the benefit of the doubt that they know that.

This is always how I took her style. Paraprosdokian humour paired with a dumb/naive character. I always preferred this style of humour, and the more shocking/jarring/'offensive' the twist, the better for me. With that in mind, I find Amy's very hit-or-miss with her endings, and she's certainly not my favourite comedian that uses this style (that would be Jimmy Carr), though I don't dislike her material.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
sword_in_the_stone.png

"hah hah England sucks so much she doesn't want it, even for free!"

No one cares, because the strip is funny.

No-one cares because its not like negative impressions of England form the backbone of a cultural problem with discrimination, hostility and even violence. I'm not going to say that you can't make fun of disadvantaged groups because you can do anything, but its a lot fucking harder to do it in a way that doesn't seem mean spirited

....aaaaaaaaaaaand you missed the most important rule in the OT.

"You don't have to think a joke is funny/good to accept that it's a joke and get on with your life."

A joke may have some truth in it but usually that's why it's funny in the first place or it's exaggeration or it actually points out why something is bad etc. etc.

If a racist etc. actually holds a speech about racist stuff then it's not a joke it's racist propaganda.

The overly sensitive in this thread and out there add to the quagmire that is equality. They will lump comedians and people that fuck around with race with their friends in the same bucket as the racists and bigots, disenfranchising people who are allies.

The overly sensitive in this thread and out there add to the quagmire that is equality. They will lump comedians and people that fuck around with race with their friends in the same bucket as the racists and bigots, disenfranchising people who are allies.
I thought the overly sensitive ones were the people going on about censorship, cultural Marxism, and PC police over mild criticism.

As a Mexican male, not offended in the least.

Oh, wait. It's Amy Schumer? Yeah, fuck that unfunny bitch. Wish she'd fall off the face of the earth already. She can take Anthony Jeselnik with her.

blakep267

Amy Schumer isn't funny enough to get away with it. It comes off as lazy. Patrice and Dave Chappell can look at racist and offensive stuff and shed new light on it in a funny way. Just saying played out stereotypes without any thought behind it is lazy.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Usually when comedy is told it depends on the context whether or not it is "funny" or "hateful"

I always view it as comedy making you think about things that you wouldn't otherwise when you are told a joke that is racial -- you think about why that is funny and how it is wrong and that people who actually are racist tend to think those are true, so you poke holes into that whole scene

So, I think it is important comedy not be censored, but I can understand if people don't like those jokes at the same time. I don't like every comedian and I don't really even like any schumer all that much.

There's no such thing as a positive stereotype. We're all individuals.

There are such thing as positive stereotypes... They can obviously be used in a negative way, but how is "all Americans are good workers" not a positive stereotype?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
She made fun of Steve O saying he should have died instead of Ryan Dunn, now this. It's funny to me that all the intellectuals rally around somebody that's basically 2015's Andrew Dice Clay. I'm just kidding, I wouldn't take it that far, but she seems pretty insensitive for my tastes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think Race Jokes can work, say your joke is mainly making fun of the ignorance in society, rather than using the ignorant and biased (and possibly racist) views the foundation of the joke.

So basically make race jokes at your own expense. I think I explained this rather poorly, but what I mean is that you can use the ignorance of biased views as the foundation, make fun of the dumb views, don't turn dumb views into jokes. Basically, make fun of the fact that the stereotypes exist rather than using the stereotypes as your joke.

Though there's also a context, how and when is the joke made? You can't pull all jokes over the same comb, as we say in Sweden :p

She made fun of Steve O saying he should have died instead of Ryan Dunn, now this. It's funny to me that all the intellectuals rally around somebody that's basically 2015's Andrew Dice Clay. I'm just kidding, I wouldn't take it that far, but she seems pretty insensitive for my tastes.

OMG, a comedian was INSENSITIVE? Say it ain't so.

Seriously? Really?

Really rallying people to his side with that one.

Schumer is the new face of feminism. She's not afraid to talk about real women's issues like UTI infections and experiencing morning after pills. I remember her telling this joke on her "Mostly Sex Stuff" set that was aired like 3 years ago. Why is it coming to the foreground now?

jorma

is now taking requests
Writing comedy you don't like off as "lazy" is probably the laziest critique possible. I mean at least try to be a bit more inventive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRp3DJqDfOw

Here is a sample of her racial comedy. What do you think?

It's pretty lazy and not clever at all. This ground has been trod thousands of times before. "Black people have weird names! Black people are loud, right?"

There are ways to be funny about race that are clever and not mean. This is just bad.

I think Race Jokes can work, say your joke is mainly making fun of the ignorance in society, rather than using the ignorant and biased (and possibly racist) views the foundation of the joke.

Pretty much this.

PSqueak

Banned
As a mexican, like many other mexicans in the thread, we don't really give a shit about the jokes, well maybe the rape joke since a lot of people are sore after Trump's idiocy, but the thing is just because we're less sensitive than SJW make it look like doens't mean it's okay the shit she's doing, because she's punching down.

That's like the only Rule of comedy, "Don't punch down", you punch down and you're an asshole, it's not funny to make fun of people who are having a harder time than you. That's going for low hanging fruit, that's the sort of thing that makes people call you a racist, and frankly her [non] apology even sounds like the typical "im not racist, but" bullshit.

Video felt uncomfortable cause it was just a bunch of white people in the audience laughing at stupid stereotypes and lazy,racist jokes.

Racial Jokes or Racist Jokes? Big difference, but I guess it depends where you are on the spectrum.
As a white male I like hearing racial poundings from other races, its funny to hear their observations in the form of humor. A good joke can be funny and bad joke can be unfunny but its still a joke.

Steve Martin got into some hot water for his observation on AA names and their spelling. Was it racist? hmmmmmmmmmm really hard to tell.
I am sure some people could get offended by it, but then anyone can be offended by anything too. Was there hatred behind it? Very likely not.

It's kind of weird to see, just by reading the 1st page alone of this thread, that people suggest whether the jokes are acceptable or not depend on whether it's funny or not. The hell? Either they are acceptable or not; whether they are funny or not do not and should not have anything to do with it.

Agreed.

Suppose what they are saying is true, that anything is fine as long as it's funny. The problem is that when you are starting out in comedy, you're not gonna be funny.

I keep seeing Louie and Chappelle used as examples. People post their bits and ask, "Why can't they just do it like this?"

It's like comparing Michael Jordan to a junior varsity basketball player.

How do you expect young comedians to grow and get to this level if you keep browbeating and inhibiting them?

Karkador

Banned
Not Schumer's pain. The pain of racism, ethnicity, ethnic stereotypes. Whether you think they are true (i.e. comedy from 100 years ago), or lamentable (i.e. much of comedy now), there is a centre of pain to the topic.

All humour extends from pain, if you really break it down. Every joke is at the expense of someone or something in some way. Even slipping on a banana peel is predicated upon an unfortunate situation. The most celebrated comedians talk about the dark sides of relationships, family, aging... there is always something "negative" at the core of any joke.

The difference I see is that talking about the "dark sides of relationships, family, aging" is usually talking about something personal, maybe even opening their own wound a little, and making fun of it - and that's a pretty natural thing to do. It's coming from a place where the comedian has lived. Even if the joke is unsettling, it's still likely to resonate with other people who have lived through something similar.

I just wonder what the 'pain' is being expressed in the case of jokes made at the expense of other people. Do you drag a random person up on stage to 'slip on that banana peel', or do you slip on it yourself? I'm not entirely convinced that Schumer's shtick is buffoonery - and even when it is, it doesn't mean that the audience reads it that way. Just look at what happened with Chappelle.

I support social criticism of comedy. Those are conversations we need to have and our societies progress through them. But ultimately, asking for all comedy to be scrubbed of "offence" is essentially to scrub comedy. Without the painful centre, you don't have a joke.

I don't know if anyone is asking for comedy to be 'scrubbed of offense'. I just think it's entirely possible that a comedian can be bad at comedy, or at least not hit 100% of the balls they swing at; or maybe it's comedy coming from an abhorrent place (remember, not all comedy is by famous comedians in a TV special). Holding comedy above criticism, as if all comedy is sacrosanct, seems like a bit much.

I'm interested in asking this: how much belief do people invest in jokes as "truth"? How does comedy get interpreted and recirculated in different ways by the audience? At what point does a comedian's pretend racism/misogyny/malice just grow into real racism/misogyny/malice in the audience?

These aren't rhetorical questions; I really wish the discussions on GAF about comedians behaving badly was a little better than the usual cries of "censorship" and "death of comedy" and all that.

That's literally ridiculous. There aren't even hate speech laws in the US

Haha, this is a good point. People have been much louder about much more important things in society like anti-discrimination with (relatively) no avail, and yet Washington will get straight on the "censor comedy" bill.

There are such thing as positive stereotypes... They can obviously be used in a negative way, but how is "all Americans are good workers" not a positive stereotype?

Is that even a stereotype? Regardless, the reason why it's not positive is because stereotypes create expectations. So if you're an unemployed American, people who believe that all Americans are good workers might be extra harsh on you. Or if you're Asian and you're bad at math, people might mock you for it.

Silexx

I notice that a lot of people's opinions on political correctness in comedy seem to hinge on their predisposed feelings towards whichever particular comedian is being talked about at the time.

Ha ha ha big ups to whoever changed the thread title.

Much like the Rose McGowan thread just being titled "Actress...." it was stupid as hell for this Amy Schumer thread to have been titled just "famous comedian."

If this had been Louis CK or someone it'd have been Louis Ck in the thread title not famous comedian.

I notice that a lot of people's opinions on political correctness in comedy seem to hinge on their predisposed feelings towards whichever particular comedian is being talked about at the time.

I argue that Louis C.K. has "more" carte blanche to say offensive things than many other comedians, and I don't really care much for his comedy (with some exceptions).

I wish that people would stop taking the few minutes of her standup that they see in this thread to say that it's terrible. The whole thing is not being seen in context and I'm not saying she's great or nothing but I really believe the "jokes" would land better if you saw the whole routine.

Also, she makes herself the butt of a lot of her jokes. Does that mean she's mean and insensitive to white people or women? Some of you guys are really just...Idk.

When I first saw the whole SJW thing I didn't pay too much attention to it but it does seem that too many internet people are just on fucking crusades over bullshit such that they are rightly labeled as "warriors". It's to the extent that they are bringing negative attention to their cause or their kind with all the constant whining and faux crying over absolutely nothing.

Clinton514

I tend to give comics a pass when it comes to many jokes. It's what they do. I don't know them personally and most of the time I don't care to anyway.

And my two cents, she's not really that funny to me.

Kinyou

Ha ha ha big ups to whoever changed the thread title.

Much like the Rose McGowan thread just being titled "Actress...." it was stupid as hell for this Amy Schumer thread to have been titled just "famous comedian."

If this had been Louis CK or someone it'd have been Louis Ck in the thread title not famous comedian.
I imagined the intention behind it was to minimise the "Amy Schumer sux" drive bys which you often see in Any Schumer threads.

border

Does Lisa Lampenelli still perform? I can't imagine people don't get passed at her nowadays.

Yes. I went to a show of hers in November -- she pretty handily filled a theatre with 1500-2000 seats.

Far less people care about this stuff than you would think from reading the internet.

Don't really think she's funny but I support comedians. She's a comedian, comedian's have always said outrageous shit. Get over it.

Imagine if Blazing Saddles came out today, jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom