• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

VanWinkle

I'm so tempted to put the DC One Million Omnibus back on the shelf for awhile. I don't dislike it - it's actually really good - but it's drawn out with SO many tie-ins (even if a lot of them are great), so it's daunting to get through.

I did take a break to read Harley and Ivy Deluxe Edition which was awesome, and I started the Oz Omnibus, which is stunning. I can tell I'm going to love it.

tim1138

I finally got around to watching Ant-Man now that it's on Starz. All in all it was a lot of fun, but man did that Falcon sequence in the middle feel super tacked on.

MartyStu

So I just finished reading Velvet and started reading Switch.

Awesome.

Is this what non-Marvel/DC comics are like? Can someone give me some recommendations?

Awesome.

Is this what non-Marvel/DC comics are like? Can someone give me some recommendations?

Welcome to a larger world. There are a lot of good books out there. I don't want to overwhelm you or anything, so take a look at these and see if anything catches your interest:

Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker
Deadly Class
Death Vigil
Glory
Lazarus
Low
Saga
Sex Criminals

tim1138

Awesome.

The Manhattan Projects
God Hates Astronauts
Zero
Sex Criminals
Bitch Planet
ODY-C
Hellboy
Annihilator
Nameless
Casanova
East of West
Fear Agent
Deadly Class
Low

That should give you a good start :D

mreddie

With the way things are going now would be a good time for Marvel to change up their cosmic stuff in a big way.

Guardians are hogging up the cosmic stuff and Silver Surfer is on Earth at the moment. Nova is No-va and Captain Marvel is gonna go to Earth for Civil War Duh

So do y'all buy paperbacks or digital, generally? Personally I prefer holding something.

It depends. I still buy my collected editions physically so I have those for the bookshelf, but I couldn't stand having a bunch of single issues to sort away every week, so I went all digital for those.

MartyStu

Welcome to a larger world. There are a lot of good books out there. I don't want to overwhelm you or anything, so take a look at these and see if anything catches your interest:

Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker
Deadly Class
Death Vigil
Glory
Lazarus
Low
Saga
Sex Criminals

The Manhattan Projects
God Hates Astronauts
Zero
Sex Criminals
Bitch Planet
ODY-C
Hellboy
Annihilator
Nameless
Casanova
East of West
Fear Agent
Deadly Class
Low

That should give you a good start :D

Thanks guys. I am already on the Sex Criminals train. Recently departed the Saga train.

Will definitely give some of this stuff a read as soon as I have finished Black Science.

Owzers

Awesome.

I always tell myself "If you're reading Sejic, you should switch." It's easier to remember.

I've thought about picking those up. What's the series about?

Pretty funny (most of the time) series with the Goon and his sidekick fighting monsters.

With art like this.

uzS5zcm.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Awesome.

Manifest Destiny
Lazarus
Revival
East of West
Shutter
Monstress
Deadly Class
Southern Bastards
Cry Havoc
Spread

VanWinkle

I've thought about picking those up. What's the series about?

It's hard to describe because it's many things. It centers on this guy named The Goon and his lackie/best friend Frankie, and they're like the mob boss of this place called Lonely Street. The things going on in this world range from somewhat-realistic, sci-fi, supernatural, etc. You never know what's going to happen issue to issue. There's a good variety in tone and happenings. The comic is generally very funny and ridiculous and violent, but it would be underselling it to say that's ALL it is. Some parts of the series are very sad and poignant (the second volume contains a ~140 pages OGN that's completely serious, and extremely good). The world Eric Powell (creator, writer, artist) has created works perfectly for both the ridiculous and the tragic.

When I bought the first library edition, I didn't know much about it. It really is hard to describe, though. It may not be for everyone, but I do think it's tons of fun with great writing and amazing artwork (starts of not-too-great, as admitted by Powell in the introduction - but quickly gets better and better). And you can't beat the value. 480 pages for the first library edition and 416 pages for the second, in a DC Absolute-sized format for only $40 cover price each.

Here's how the art looks in volume 2:

george_us

Thanks guys. I am already on the Sex Criminals train. Recently departed the Saga train.

Will definitely give some of this stuff a read as soon as I have finished Black Science.
I also want to give a shout out to Fatale, Pretty Deadly, and Rat Queens.

Just ordered The Invincible Compendium 1, Bitch Planet, Descender, Tokyo Ghost, and Paper Girls myself from InStockTrades. God bless that site.

VanWinkle

Damn, that's a gorgeous-looking comic. What do you get per book in terms of content? Like three volumes of the regular trades?

Oh yeah, the art is absolutely beautiful.

And yeah, you get three tpb volumes per library edition, plus a bunch of nice back matter. I still don't know how Dark Horse gives some an amazing deal.

Finally finished Dark Souls III list

Justice League #49
Omega Men #11
Low #13
Saga #36
Sex Criminals #15
Velvet #14
All-New Wolverine #7
Doctor Strange #7
Ms. Marvel #6
Ultimates #6

Wait, so what is this $6 Doctor Strange Last Days of Magic bullshit? I'm not buying $10 of Doctor Strange this week. Nice try Marvel.

And yeah, you get three tpb volumes per library edition, plus a bunch of nice back matter. I still don't know how Dark Horse gives some an amazing deal.

Desperation. I feel like losing the Star Wars license was a bigger hit than they let on.

Last week of April list:
Hellboy And The B.P.R.D. 1953 Beyond The Fences #3
Black Canary #11
Justice League #49
Sex Criminals #15
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #7

Pretty good

VanWinkle

Desperation. I feel like losing the Star Wars license was a bigger hit than they let on.

Perhaps. But I won't complain. I hope their stuff sells well because there's a lot of quality there. DC would probably sell this book in a slipcase for $125 and call it an Absolute, but DH sells it for $40.

tl;dr Quicksilver ruins everything
Aaaaaaaw
Anyone else reading Karnak?

Is this kid just a copycat of Killgrave? Sure sounds like it when Karnak described his powers.
No, because
he can also give people the abilities that he convinces them that they have. His ability seems to be to convince people they have abilities to the point that they actually have them. Sort of a "believe and you shall achieve: Church Edition" type thing. It's not mind control per se.
*finds out the Terrigen Mists have sterilized mutants and now they're on the brink of extinction yet again*

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

oDqxw.gif

Did the mists affect 'normal' humans as well so they wouldn't be able to give birth to mutants? Or do they 'sterilize' mutants, in that they permanently inhibit the growth of their powers in adolescence?

I liked Storm's speech in the 5th issue of EXM.
Technically, based on Son of M that I just read (along with the review that nobody read), only mutants seem to be affected by Terrigen. They don't show anything happening to a completely normal human. So it's not like it hasn't been established before.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
No, because
he can also give people the abilities that he convinces them that they have. His ability seems to be to convince people they have abilities to the point that they actually have them. Sort of a "believe and you shall achieve: Church Edition" type thing. It's not mind control per se.

Super placebo effect sounds like a cool power, actually.

Messi

Finally finished Dark Souls III list

Justice League #49
Omega Men #11
Low #13
Saga #36
Sex Criminals #15
Velvet #14
All-New Wolverine #7
Doctor Strange #7
Ms. Marvel #6
Ultimates #6

Wait, so what is this $6 Doctor Strange Last Days of Magic bullshit? I'm not buying $10 of Doctor Strange this week. Nice try Marvel.

So don't... It's just side stories telling about the final days of the magic users in the Marvel Universe before they are killed by the big bad. Stories by Jason Aaron ect. Just a tie in.

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS
(W) Jason Aaron & Various (A) Leonardo Romero (CA) Mike Perkins
This companion to the "LAST DAYS OF MAGIC" epic! THE EMPIRIKUL, led by The Imperator, are destroying all magic and magic users in the Marvel Universe. Jason Aaron brings you Doctor Strange and Wong's secret history and the ultimate sacrifice that Wong makes! Gerry Duggan shows Brother Voodoo's stand against the evil magic-eaters. James Robinson introduces a new magic figure in the Marvel U just in time for her last stand!
Rated T+

Just finished Hyperion 2 and that's it for me. Everything about this book is so lame. The villains are lame, the sidekick is lame, the plot sucks, Hyperion sucks. Easily one of the worst ANAD books.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Still making my way through all my Marvel BOGO buys, but hot dang, Hellcat is delightful.

I love the way that they incorporate the old comics.

I mean, just look at this:

It's perfect.

Just finished Hyperion 2 and that's it for me. Everything about this book is so lame. The villains are lame, the sidekick is lame, the plot sucks, Hyperion sucks. Easily one of the worst ANAD books.

That's a bummer. He was so cool in Hickman's Avengers run.

Ok, so watching AoS makes me really want to read the stuff involving Secret Warriors. What specifically do I need to read in order to read that? Is it just called Secret Warriors?

Sandfox

Guardians are hogging up the cosmic stuff and Silver Surfer is on Earth at the moment. Nova is No-va and Captain Marvel is gonna go to Earth for Civil War Duh

Silver Surfer is supposed to be going through some big status quo change next issue and I the current Nova writer chose a poor story to launch the book with.I personally think Bendis should be kicked off Guardians when they replace Humphries, but that's probably not going to happen.

Messi

Still making my way through all my Marvel BOGO buys, but hot dang, Hellcat is delightful.

I love the way that they incorporate the old comics.

I mean, just look at this:

It's perfect.

That's a bummer. He was so cool in Hickman's Avengers run.

I love Hellcat and I love Kate Leth and Brittey Williams insistence that Amerikate is a canon thing!

Patsy is delightful.

VanWinkle

Okay I shelved DC One Million Omnibus for now. I'll get back to it later. I just don't want to read 540 more pages of it right now.

I finished Fear Agent Library Edition Vol 1. I had already finished the main story parts but had to finish the Tales of the Fear Agent section. What a great book. I need to hurry and get volume 2.

Started Thor God of Thunder OHC Vol 1. WOW. Dis gon b good.

Ok, so watching AoS makes me really want to read the stuff involving Secret Warriors. What specifically do I need to read in order to read that? Is it just called Secret Warriors?

Introduced in an issue of Mighty Avengers that ties in with Secret Invasion and then they had an ongoing after that all through Dark Reign.

Top Bottom