• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Grant Morrison top 10 power rankings

1. Animal Man
2. Doom Patrol
3. Final Crisis
4. Batman
5. We3
6. Kill Your Boyfriend
7. Invisibles
8. New X-Men
9. Annihilator
10. Vinamarama

1. Vinanarama
2. New X-Men
3. We3
4. All Star Superman
5. Flex Mentallo
6. Final Crisis
7. Fantastic Four 1234
8. JLA
9. The Invisibles
10. Batman

Good time as any to post this I suppose

j2h00LV.jpg

tim1138

No nameless?

Nameless was good, but more for Burnham's art then the story.

1. Vinanarama
2. New X-Men
3. We3
4. All Star Superman
5. Flex Mentallo
6. Final Crisis
7. Fantastic Four 1234
8. JLA
9. The Invisibles
10. Batman

I was hoping you'd reply. I'm kinda surprised you didn't list Kid Eternity, I'm pretty sure I've seen you speak highly of it in the past.

Buddy + Bandit forever.

I still think Tinker should have been by Morrison though

Hagi

I know Valiant!! It's all good, brah!

I'm always tempted to get their NuGen trades on sale just because their variants are the best in the game.

There are dozens of us!

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

This is really cool but I heard the pin collecting game is a dark hole to get yourself into. I'm sad I never copped the Daredevil set though.

The Mighty Avengers #27
So, I know what you're all thinking, "BKatastrophe, why are you reading a single issue from Slott's Mighty Avengers run?" Well, because it's part of the Inhumans reading order. For those who have read the 2014 Inhuman run, you'll recall that one of the villains of the first arc is called The Unspoken. This issue introduces him and his actual background. The Unspoken was an old Inhuman king that succeeded Black Bolt's dad. Attilan was apparently super peaceful in his day and everyone loved the bastard, including the Alpha Primitives. For those who don't know, those are pretty much cavemen used as slaves because they can't be used as much else. Essentially, Black Bolt's gang charges into the throne room and fights him due to him getting rid of the "Slave Engine," (which I have no idea what the fuck that is) which is apparently a very powerful device that The Unspoken hid because it was too powerful for any one person to have. The Royal Family disputes this by saying it is the right of all the people of Attilan to have it. So they fight, The Unspoken loses and the Alpha Primitives bail him out. Fast-forward to present day, and a small group of Avengers (Quicksilver, USAgent, and one other chick who I don't care enough to remember the name) go to scout a location in China due to a spike in Terrigen readings where they find The Unspoken and a bunch of Alpha Primitives. Then China's Justice League shows up and gets straight bodied by him, thus beginning the running theme of Chinese superheroes getting bodied by random Inhuman shit.

Then USAgent is like "Fuck call all of the Avengers." There's some other storyline stuff about the actual Avengers storyline, like Jocasta being sacrificed and Scarlet Witch is actually Loki and some shit. Don't care about that. Sad part is, the whole bit with The Unspoken doesn't end here. It continues. So I'm going to read the issues that contain this arc, even though every reading order I've looked at has only listed this issue as the one I need to read. Oh well. Also one thing that bothers me: in this issue, it shows the Royal Family only one week out of Terrigenesis. So Gorgon still looks like a human and whatnot, but Karnak mentions he went through the Terrigen process. Problem is that ever since the Jenkins run, he's been known to not have ever gone through the process. The runs after this stay with that. A weird conflicting retcon that didn't stick, apparently.

Squadron Supreme #6
Yes, I did starting reading this book here because Black Bolt was on the cover. Yes, I did enjoy this issue. No, I was not confused in the slightest by what was going on nor by what I had missed.

The Ultimates #6
Interesting what they're doing with Galactus here. Of course this isn't the only book that states that the cosmic beings are being all kinds of fucked right now. Starbrand and Nightmask (which I dropped) said the same shit, and Starling's Infiinity series has been about that as well. God I miss Rocafort. COME BACK ROCA WEAR!

Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega #1
Didn't feel like a super amazing ending. Quasar stuff kinda came out of nowhere, felt kind of anti-climactic for a finale. Acuna doing the gods' work over here, though. Still, it was a fun event, and I enjoyed how they spun off Thunderbolts out of this. Also bothersome how they have Hill talking to the major leaders of the Avengers teams, and Steve is old again in that shot. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the new Cap stuff and even Thunderbolts.

International Iron Man #2
Oh man this book keeps heating up. Hot damn. I love this book so much.

Ms. Marvel #6
Delightful as always, but wha--? Like, is this really the end? Are they doing another #1 after this? Because fuck me sideways then. That bugs the shit out of me.

Old Man Logan #5
I really like the storylines they are pulling out for this book. I was right to believe that this would be a very unique book, and it really is. Sorrentino da gawd.

Venom Space Knight #6
Ooooooooooooooooh I like where this is going. Bunch of assholes in space fighting injustice and the captain has a split personality thing going on? We in there. People sleeping on this book.

Black Canary #11
Anyone else feel the art and pacing was lacking, here? Weird, though definitely a cliffhanger ending. At least it presented some intrigue.
Not the best issue of this book, but I'm interested in the next one.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1953 #3
Okay, again I say what the fuck? Is this the ending of this book? Can't be. Goddamn it Mignola. You bastard.

Cry Havoc #2
So I fell behind on this book, and now am trying to catch up. This book is fucking weird. I mean it's visceral and has an interesting concept that I like. Art's good, but boy is this...fucking gross and also uncomfortable at points. And weirdly sexual. Yeesh. Imma keep at it, though. I am enjoying it.

Grant Morrison top 10 power rankings

1. Animal Man
2. Doom Patrol
3. Final Crisis
4. Batman
5. We3
6. Kill Your Boyfriend
7. Invisibles
8. New X-Men
9. Annihilator
10. Vinamarama

here we go

0. Flex Mentallo
1. Doom Patrol(also the best comic)
2. Batman
3. New X-Men
4. JLA
5. Kill Your Boyfriend
6. All-Star Superman
7. We3
8. Seaguy 1/2
9. Marvel Boy
10. Seven Soldiers

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
i09 has a guide to why Civil War (the comic) was actually kind of terrible.

Suffice to say, Civil War was kind of a mess. Tony Stark, for all intents and purposes, essentially became a supervillain for little reason than to have the two heroes fight each other, repeatedly making horrendous, unconscionable decisions along the way. Even those on the side of Captain America were at times painted as rogues fighting for the sake of their rights to beat people up rather than protecting their right to privacy. It’s convoluted and contrived as an excuse to watch allies punch each other in the face at best, at its worst, character-assassinating incoherence.

The Ultimates #6
Interesting what they're doing with Galactus here.

AV Club just posted a great article about this issue, using Galactus' struggle as a metaphor for the difficulty of changing entrenched discrimination and harassment in the comic industry. I don't think there's any indication this was intentional on Ewing's part (and they don't either), but it's a very interesting read nonetheless.

Since his creation, Galactus has been one of the greatest threats in the Marvel Universe, but he has been transformed from world-eater to lifebringer as part of The Ultimates’ goal to solve “the ultimate problems.” He’s the only white man on the team, and he’s the ultimate ally, defying the authority of the universe to help the women and people of color that successfully sated his hunger. Currently, that assistance takes the form of his investigation into the bondage of Eternity, which leads him into conflict with the personifications of Chaos and Order, who are unhappy about what Galactus’ fundamental change means for the current balance of the universe.

Ewing’s story isn’t intentionally addressing all the aforementioned issues, but his general commentary on the reluctance to let superhero concepts change and grow can easily be applied to the larger superhero comics industry. Galactus’ conversation with Order and Chaos is all about him refusing to bow to these former authorities, and he reveals that his evolution has made him more powerful than the forces trying to restrain him. Galactus punches Order in the teeth in the issue’s most dramatic moment, and that splash page cements Galactus’ position as the ultimate opponent to the flawed order of the universe.

Ewing makes it clear that the ensuing battle between Galactus, Order, and Chaos is a metaphor and a clash of idea more than a clash of actual cosmic beings. Applying that metaphor to the last week, Galactus represents the people who have come forward in hopes of shutting down the current Order of companies that protect harassers and damage the entire industry in the process, and Chaos can be seen as the people that commit, accept, and excuse this abusive behavior. Order and Chaos don’t want anything to get in the way of their beneficial symbiotic relationship, but something has to change if there’s ever going to be any true progress.

Lets see how many I can list.
Edit. Omg. How did I forget Arkhan Asylum.

1. Doom Patrol. Favorite run of a comic ever.
2. Final Crisis
3. We3
4. Animal Man
5. Arkham Asylum
6. Batman
7. Seven Soilders
8. Multiversity
9. Annihilator
10. Joe the Barbarian

here we go

0. Flex Mentallo
2. Batman
3. New X-Men
4. JLA
5. Kill Your Boyfriend
6. All-Star Superman
7. We3
8. Seaguy 1/2
9. Marvel Boy
10. Seven Soldiers

oh fuck
i forgot marvel boy and seven soldiers god damn it

and, tim, i never finished kid eternity tbph

Tizoc

Transformers MTMTE #52
Qigp7pV.gif

Book of the friggin' week, the friggin' month.
Welcome back
Overlord, you glorious murderous bastard.
Great moments all over, next issue will be the final chapter of this story really psyched tos ee how it ends XO

Beautiful.

here we go

0. Flex Mentallo
2. Batman
3. New X-Men
4. JLA
5. Kill Your Boyfriend
6. All-Star Superman
7. We3
8. Seaguy 1/2
9. Marvel Boy
10. Seven Soldiers

We3
All Star Superman
New X-Men
Pax Americana
Batman
Animal Man
Red Son (ghostwrote)
Authority (ghostwrote)
Marvel Boy
Umbrella Academy (by proxy)
Kill Your Boyfriend
Fantastic Four 1234
Seaguy (isnt there supposed to be another volume coming?)
Final Crisis

Havent read: Doom Patrol, Invisibles, Filth, 52, Joe the B, Annihilator, Nameless, WW E1, JLA

Havent finished: Seven Soldiers

Dunno about ten, but my five favorite Morrison things are:
1. Doom Patrol
2. Batman
3. Seven Soldiers
4. Kill Your Boyfriend
5. Maybe ASS

Still need to finish Animal Man but I'm sure it will be up there once I'm done

AV Club just posted a great article about this issue, using Galactus' struggle as a metaphor for the difficulty of changing entrenched discrimination and harassment in the comic industry. I don't think there's any indication this was intentional on Ewing's part (and they don't either), but it's a very interesting read nonetheless.

Thanks for this link. Fantastic read.

Doom Patrol is the only correct answer.

We have a winner!

1. Doom Patrol. Favorite run of a comic ever.

Dunno about ten, but my five favorite Morrison things are:
1. Doom Patrol

cool kids

Havent read: Doom Patrol, Invisibles, Filth, 52, Joe the B, Annihilator, Nameless, WW E1, JLA

Havent finished: Seven Soldiers

ed why you do this

Hagi

Happy is the worst Morrison book I've read, it's just not very good. I haven't really read a great deal of his stuff like X-men or Doom Patrol but Final Crisis is just all kinds of amazing and I love everything Batman that spawns out from it.

Tizoc

Happy is the worst Morrison book I've read, it's just not very good. I haven't really read a great deal of his stuff like X-men or Doom Patrol but Final Crisis is just all kinds of amazing and I love everything Batman that spawns out from it.

Happy felt like something from the 90s, and I think were it released then it may have been appreciated more.
But all in all
I liked Happy, I think it was Morrison's apology to the imaginary friends he 'killed off' at one point when he was older :p

tim1138

This was a great read echo, thanks for sharing.

frye

ASS
DP
Riot at Xavier's
Flex
Batman Inc. vol 2
Zenith Phase 3
Marvel Boy
Kill Yr Bf
JLA
The Filth

I'm too indecisive for ranked lists, but i think this is where I'm at now (i'm glad I waited for people to post because I would've forgotten some)

Hagi

Happy felt like something from the 90s, and I think were it released then it may have been appreciated more.
But all in all
I liked Happy, I think it was Morrison's apology to the imaginary friends he 'killed off' at one point when he was older :p

Oh yeah I could totally see it as being a sort of relic of the 90's it just didn't really vibe with me. Reminded me of something Ennis would write.

Hagi

Ennis is a much better writer than that my dude

His Avatar stuff that I've read has been largely pants so I'd disagree. I should have been clearer in my original post because I do think Ennis is pretty awesome I was just talking in terms of things I've read outside of the DC and Marvel umbrella.

was their another book named the Authority? everyone knows the Wildstorm one ended at issue 12 when Ellis and Hitch wrapped up their run.
I love this post so much. Thank you.

I was so salty back in the day when some other book named authority gained more popularity after Ellis was done

frye

His Avatar stuff that I've read has been largely pants so I'd disagree. I should have been clearer in my original post because I do think Ennis is pretty awesome I was just talking in terms of things I've read outside of the DC and Marvel umbrella.

I haven't read a lot of it because it's mostly bottom feeder artists but Caliban is way better than Happy. I'd bet that the new War Stories stuff is probably much more readable despite the art downgrade from Vertigo as well

frye

remember when the reason it was delayed was because Mark Miller read Fury MAX and decided he wanted Parlov to draw Starlight

Top Bottom