• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Tizoc

Chew 55 was great, nice twist there.

Karnak 2 had kickass action and nice art, but barely any progression :p

what's better: Life is Strange or Tales from the Borderlands?

Also, Azz's Wonder Woman was enjoyable but I shared the main complaint i read: it was more of an ensemble story than a wonder woman story. My other gripe was Chiang more or less left the book two thirds into it.

Get both of those games.
If you're using US PSN, buy stuff for $100 before March 1st and you'll get a $15 PSN cash code.

List of I haven't even read last week's books yet:

Black Widow #1
Darth Vader #17
Invincible Iron Man #17
Spider-Man #2
The Walking Dead #152

I love this cover.

678241_4aaa96267c54282f9e73d5cc9de8fa3a8dd668fd.jpg

Boogiepop

Alright, so I finished New X-men. First and foremost, holy crap the trades for that series are bad. Of the 7, three of them have separated from their spines due to the cheap glue, with one of those having pages falling out on top of that! I'm assuming there's crap all I can do about this since I ordered these back in October from IST and have let them sit in my backlog since then, right? Either way, I guess I'll need to replace these with nicer editions at some point, but yeah, don't buy the series in this format, people, as it's unbelievably crap.

As for the series itself, I enjoyed it for the most part, though it felt... rushed? I don't know how to put it exactly, but it often felt almost like it was missing some scenes or something. Like, things that in theory should've been fleshed out just weren't and it left things feeling weird. For example, the whole final arc (though it had a ton more issues than this) showed Magneto destroying stuff, but there were almost no scenes spent from the perspective of the people or taking time to show any of this, so it just felt like it was mostly him talking to other characters with the backdrop of him having taken over the city, but it never really felt like we got to see that so it felt detached to me. In a similar manner, Emma's diamond form feels glossed over, in that this seems to be first time it happens and she's freaking out and then just... it's suddenly normal and she's turning it on and off and I think they offhandedly and matter-of-factly mention the way it interacts with her telepathy without ever actually establishing it. Just feels weird. Also, I'm pretty sure I never saw a proper explanation for how Xorn having a star for a brain=he's really good at healing. Like, it's very matter of fact about it and it just happens, like "duh having a star for a head makes you a healer, why would you even question that?" (I get that Magneto's powers were controlling nano-sentinals to emulate that in the end, but I don't get how it was supposed to work initially).

Speaking of Xorn, anyone mind laying out that whole mess for me of who was actually who and when in continuity, and how that was all supposed to work out nowadays? (And how Xorn who was Magneto who was Xorn or whatever was supposed to be using all those powers?) Oh, and how/when did Quentin come back to having a physical form after getting a secondary mutation to evolve beyond it or whatever the hell happened there? Though I guess if either of those happened in Astonishing I should read those first, as those are also in my backlog...

And yeah, that last arc was really, really garbage. Felt incredibly disjointed and awkward, especially the whole "Magneto is taking the "special" class, and also like straight up making them be Nazis, all while taking drugs" thing. The only thing I kind of liked there was the kind of meta element of Magneto being frustrated by how much more beloved/successful Xorn was at that point, but even that wasn't exactly utilized well. So yeah, just a big old mess at the end.

Still did enjoy it as a whole, though, despite all my issues with it. Also, how many of the characters in here did Morrison create vs just reinvent, as it actually seemed to be quite a few, which is neat...

Anyone know if Marvel has released a character sheet/turn-around of Silk?
Working on a custom Marvel Universe figure and can't find an image of her that shows what happens with the leg design around back or if they just end on the sides.

Silk's character design is a mess. Not that the design is a mess but she's had different versions already and every artist draws it differently.

I had to do a commission recently of her and finding a good reference for her costume was impossible. In the end, I just made it up which is, what I assume, all the artists have done to this point.

Owzers

I ended up getting all of Rachel Rising, it will help keep suspicions down around here while i continue my goal of deposing Messi and taking over comics-gaf for myself.

Hellboy and the BPRD 1953: Beyond the Fences #1

Rivera's art was just great here. Setup for this story arc is pretty interesting so far too. My favorite thing about this issue was seeing the world reacts to Hellboy. It's cute how he has this dog he cares about and how there was a group of kids calling him Mr. Hellboy asking for autographs. Or how his fellow agents kind of jealously bring up how he's famous. Good stuff.

Alright, so I finished New X-men. First and foremost, holy crap the trades for that series are bad. Of the 7, three of them have separated from their spines due to the cheap glue, with one of those having pages falling out on top of that! I'm assuming there's crap all I can do about this since I ordered these back in October from IST and have let them sit in my backlog since then, right? Either way, I guess I'll need to replace these with nicer editions at some point, but yeah, don't buy the series in this format, people, as it's unbelievably crap.

As for the series itself, I enjoyed it for the most part, though it felt... rushed? I don't know how to put it exactly, but it often felt almost like it was missing some scenes or something. Like, things that in theory should've been fleshed out just weren't and it left things feeling weird. For example, the whole final arc (though it had a ton more issues than this) showed Magneto destroying stuff, but there were almost no scenes spent from the perspective of the people or taking time to show any of this, so it just felt like it was mostly him talking to other characters with the backdrop of him having taken over the city, but it never really felt like we got to see that so it felt detached to me. In a similar manner, Emma's diamond form feels glossed over, in that this seems to be first time it happens and she's freaking out and then just... it's suddenly normal and she's turning it on and off and I think they offhandedly and matter-of-factly mention the way it interacts with her telepathy without ever actually establishing it. Just feels weird. Also, I'm pretty sure I never saw a proper explanation for how Xorn having a star for a brain=he's really good at healing. Like, it's very matter of fact about it and it just happens, like "duh having a star for a head makes you a healer, why would you even question that?" (I get that Magneto's powers were controlling nano-sentinals to emulate that in the end, but I don't get how it was supposed to work initially).

Speaking of Xorn, anyone mind laying out that whole mess for me of who was actually who and when in continuity, and how that was all supposed to work out nowadays? (And how Xorn who was Magneto who was Xorn or whatever was supposed to be using all those powers?) Oh, and how/when did Quentin come back to having a physical form after getting a secondary mutation to evolve beyond it or whatever the hell happened there? Though I guess if either of those happened in Astonishing I should read those first, as those are also in my backlog...

And yeah, that last arc was really, really garbage. Felt incredibly disjointed and awkward, especially the whole "Magneto is taking the "special" class, and also like straight up making them be Nazis, all while taking drugs" thing. The only thing I kind of liked there was the kind of meta element of Magneto being frustrated by how much more beloved/successful Xorn was at that point, but even that wasn't exactly utilized well. So yeah, just a big old mess at the end.

Still did enjoy it as a whole, though, despite all my issues with it. Also, how many of the characters in here did Morrison create vs just reinvent, as it actually seemed to be quite a few, which is neat...
So a pretty similar opinion to mine, though I didn't have any of the trade problems you did. Basically, Xorn was good at healing because of his meditation and chi stuff. Problem is that Magneto then says it was all bullshit, so it makes you curious as to how the fuck he could heal.

But then Mags brings up that he was controlling the nano-sentinels, so maybe he used them to heal people?

Messi

Chew should be given more credit for getting to 60 in a time where many image creators run out of story or ideas in 2 or 3 volumes. It has also always kept a good to great level of quality.

Li Kao

So is Cerebus really and still a must read ? I mean appart from the cult status and mysoginy thing I'm not sure about it's inclusion in my 'for shame, you haven't read that yet' list.

Weiss

Banned
I'd like to read Cerebus, but I can't bring myself to checking out work by a dude who's that big an asshole.

It's why I don't buy any more comics by Brian Wood.

I'd like to read Cerebus, but I can't bring myself to checking out work by a dude who's that big an asshole.

It's why I don't buy any more comics by Brian Wood.
If it makes you feel any better his career looks to be going nowhere. Buy it used or use a library.

frye

For what it's worth, Sim probably isn't a classic misogynist as much he is genuinely mentally unstable.

If it makes you feel any better his career looks to be going nowhere. Buy it used or use a library.

Eh, he has a somewhat loyal fanbase still and he put out a whole series called Glamourpuss a while back. The Strange Death of Alex Raymond is coming out from IDW this year too.

For what it's worth, Sim probably isn't a classic misogynist as much he is genuinely mentally unstable.

Eh, he has a somewhat loyal fanbase still and he put out a whole series called Glamourpuss a while back. The Strange Death of Alex Raymond is coming out from IDW this year too.
But now he's stuck with his niche fanbase. Marvel dropped him quick after Moon Knight. Dude used to be a champion for well written female characters. Then shit went south.

frye

But now he's stuck with his niche fanbase. Marvel dropped him quick after Moon Knight. Dude used to be a champion for well written female characters. Then shit went south.

ah I thought you were talking about Dave Sim, not Brian Wood

don't buy Brian Wood comics because he's the most boring man alive tbqh

Hmm, nobody answered about the quality of Cerebus.
And what is it about Brian Wood, is he shit humanly ?
I don't think cerebus is must read. I read some and its alright. I think more of its acclaim await was a notable long running indie comic that wasn't cape based. Back when there was very little of an indie scene.

frye

Hmm, nobody answered about the quality of Cerebus.
And what is it about Brian Wood, is he shit humanly ?

The thing with "is Cerebus any good?" and the question that naturally follows that one, "should I read Cerebus?" is that the answers are complex. That said, I think Tim O'Neil's (who ranks Cerebus as one of the best comics) blog post from a few years back is helpful:

If you were to ask me point-blank whether or not you should read Cerebus, my honest answer at this late date would be a slightly reluctant, albeit very firm no. Many, if not most comics readers who haven't already encountered the series at this late date will probably never encounter it in any significant fashion. The books will stay in print for so long as Sim lives, and will probably always retain some small position of honor in many well-stocked comic book stores, in the same manner that a contemporary psychologist might keep a bust of Freud on the shelf, out of a sense of duty already tinged with anachronistic irony. People who come to the book in the future will come upon it as if it were already a relic, a text of primarily archaeological interest that maddeningly alternates between a brilliant explication of the comics form and an impenetrable hate-screed. The parodies, many already dated, will only become increasingly opaque as the years progress.

For all the good in Cerebus - and we wouldn't be talking about it at all if there wasn't still a considerable degree of good in the book to balance the incontrovertible horror - the price for being able to sift through the rubble of the bad in search of the good is simply more than most people should ever want to pay. As much as I wish I could simply recommend that people read "the good half" or "the good third," the fact is that there is no way in which a selective reading program of Cerebus could convey the work's depth, breadth or significance. For better or for worse, the questions asked in the first 150 issues of Cerebus are only answered in the final 150 issues. That the answers turned out to be so painfully, ruthlessly strange remains a singular disappointment.

If you do want to try it out, then "start with High Society" is the conventional sugestion

Owzers

I gave The Spire #1 a read since the sale is going on still , i liked it enough but it did remind me of random Image books that don't fully get my interest but it's justttttttt good enough so i'm not opposed to reading more. The build is wrong for me, you've got a city and creatures, a new would-be ruler and a main character but only the lead has any time really spent on them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I gave The Spire #1 a read since the sale is going on still , i liked it enough but it did remind me of random Image books that don't fully get my interest but it's justttttttt good enough so i'm not opposed to reading more. The build is wrong for me, you've got a city and creatures, a new would-be ruler and a main character but only the lead has any time really spent on them.

I gave it a few issues but really didn't hook me. Just a very bland book all the way around from setting, to characters, to art. Also found the dialogue to be quite annoying at times.

Messi

Isn't it a mini like Six Gun Gorilla was?

tim1138

Hi folks,
I'm hoping someone here can recommend a nice volume that collects the old Claremont/Silvestri Uncanny run.

I don't believe one exists. If Marvel keeps printing Uncanny X-Men omnibi, that would probably be volumes 5 and 6? Silvestri was on the book for about three years, but if I remember correctly he would do a few issues, have an issue off, then be back for a few issues.

Freezasaurus said:
In the omnibus, I mean. Is it the old 80's-90's style stuff?

It's Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz, it looks fucking amazing

Top Bottom