• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

DireStr8s

I don't believe one exists. If Marvel keeps printing Uncanny X-Men omnibi, that would probably be volumes 5 and 6? Silvestri was on the book for about three years, but if I remember correctly he would do a few issues, have an issue off, then be back for a few issues.

Aw, that's a bummer.

I remember Rick Leonardi would sometimes fill in for Silvestri. I liked his work quite a bit too.

How was Darwyn Cooke's The Spirit?

Pretty good fun. I really liked it. A rather short run though. The Aragones issues were also decent.

(And the HC designs were very nice...)
kDgTgFQ.jpg

MartyStu

So I started reading comics shortly after the nu52, so I have been trying to catch up to some of the DC stuff between '99/2000 up until '11.

What I have read and enjoyed so far:

-Blue Beetle
-Batgirl
-Final Crisis
-Morrison's Batman
-Gotham Central
-Batman Inc.

Any suggestions to augment my continued education?

I really like Renee Montoya from GC, and have heard that she plays an important role in things later on. So I may check her out first.

The thing with "is Cerebus any good?" and the question that naturally follows that one, "should I read Cerebus?" is that the answers are complex. That said, I think Tim O'Neil's (who ranks Cerebus as one of the best comics) blog post from a few years back is helpful:

If you do want to try it out, then "start with High Society" is the conventional sugestion
The best thing about Cerebus is Gerhards background art.

Disclaimer: ive never read cerebus.

VanWinkle

Pretty good fun. I really liked it.

(And the HC designs were very nice...)

Yeah I saw that today on Amazon and bought it from a third-party seller for $3 (plus $3.99 shipping). I figured I would like it with it being Cooke and all.

While I have heard of Will Eisner, I haven't really looked into his art much (bear in mind I'm very new to comics). His artwork is blowing me away! I can't believe how modern a lot of it looks despite it's age. Like this page for instance:

RTEPage-006_Aria.jpg

It's incredible to me that this was done in (I think) the 70s. It looks like it could be in a comic from this year. And the lettering is beautiful. I want to start getting into some of his stuff.

frye

The best thing about Cerebus is Gerhards background art.

Disclaimer: ive never read cerebus.

this is probably true

Disclaimer: ive never read cerebus

Yeah I saw that today on Amazon and bought it from a third-party seller for $3 (plus $3.99 shipping). I figured I would like it with it being Cooke and all.

While I have heard of Will Eisner, I haven't really looked into his art much (bear in mind I'm very new to comics). His artwork is blowing me away! I can't believe how modern a lot of it looks despite it's age. Like this page for instance:

RTEPage-006_Aria.jpg

It's incredible to me that this was done in (I think) the 70s. It looks like it could be in a comic from this year. And the lettering is beautiful. I want to start getting into some of his stuff.

yeah, Eisner is an incredible artist, but I think that his body of work is the one where I have the most dissonance between my admiration of the art and my lack of affection for the actual comics

Owzers

I've been trying to finish up a few pre Secret Wars marvel runs on MU, a couple Spidey issues, the last GotG and Legendary Star Lord after I hopped on Black Vortex. I also finished up the movie Pixels.

All were of similar quality.

edit: Olivia on the Oscars O___O

edit edit: Also Rubio is now making jokes about the size of Trump's penis, so , you know, this election is going places.

Messi

YAY Olivia was on stage at the oscars with Ali G. He was pretty funny too. Called her fit as the camera was panning away in a move that I am pretty sure was not scripted lol. She spent the entire segment trying not to laugh. Also...she looked very beautiful :D .

Kinda knew she was gonna be on the oscars after she tweeted secret pics of the bathroom stall at the oscars rehersals yesterday.

Edit: I haven't seen Room yet, but I am going to pretend Brie Larson won that Oscar for Short Term 12 instead. She is wonderful.

Li Kao

I really hated Catwoman #35, too much bullshits like quotes my rusty English gave up on and relatively no exposition for this whole status-quo.
But then I soldiered on and really liked what I read of the following issues. This is a really nice solid crime book.

The Elektra Omnibus looks like a ripoff pricewise. It's 400 pages compared to the Daredevil Omni's 840 and it's only $25 less. I know the reprint got a price hike but that's kind of insane for what it offers.

Tizoc

It's so daunting at this point though. Those books are so far in, and I have a bunch of stuff I still need to read as it is.
I couldve sworn I posted a reading order for u already :v
I lnk it when i am home hate typing from my phone =_=

Transformers: Dark Prelude is making me happy. An entire issue of Megatron stealing Starscream's soul will do that.
Yeah taht is a cool story showing why megs is the boss
I personally prefer the orion pax story especially how a3 is so mystic and nightbeat cant take his nonsense xp
Also bludgeon~

MartyStu

I'm patiently waiting for Cameron to blow up on twitter and go on a salty rant about how much he hates Inarritu. He acts like such a film snob sometimes. Messi did you get pics of Wilde in that dress?

Edit:

The dress is pretty hideous. It has no redeeming qualities.

But I am sure plenty of people will go crazy for it.

frye

The Elektra Omnibus looks like a ripoff pricewise. It's 400 pages compared to the Daredevil Omni's 840 and it's only $25 less. I know the reprint got a price hike but that's kind of insane for what it offers.

fun fact: the original printing for that (and that DD companion omnibus) was either 60/65 dollars and it's not like Marvel omnibus quality has gone up since then lmao

Calcium

Banned
I don't recognize Olivia Wilde if she isn't in gif form.

I started reading Batman & Robin Vol. 6 yesterday and I'm having a tough time getting through it. I don't know if I'm just not feeling it or if I need to take a break from cape books. I read a page and a half and lose interest. Meh.

So I started reading comics shortly after the nu52, so I have been trying to catch up to some of the DC stuff between '99/2000 up until '11.

-Blue Beetle
-Batgirl
-Final Crisis
-Morrison's Batman
-Gotham Central
-Batman Inc.

I really like Renee Montoya from GC, and have heard that she plays an important role in things later on. So I may check her out first.

If you like Montoya, check out 52 (the weekly series).

My favorite stuff between 1999 and 2011

JSA (still either John's best or second best run)
Infinite Crisis (best read with Identity Crisis, Omac Project, Superman Sacrifice, Crisis of Conscience)
Morrison, Waid, Kelley JLA
Secret Six
Geoff John's Green Lantern, Flash Runs
Tomasi's Black Adam & Green Lantern Corps

There's still a lot of stuff I haven't read from that era like checkmate & the bat books. Also didn't mention elseworld stuff like Red Son or All Star Superman, which are worth looking into.

-Blue Beetle
-Batgirl
-Final Crisis
-Morrison's Batman
-Gotham Central
-Batman Inc.

Plastic Man by Kyle Baker is great. If you're down for more Morrison then Seven Soldiers is a good read too.
fun fact: the original printing for that (and that DD companion omnibus) was either 60/65 dollars and it's not like Marvel omnibus quality has gone up since then lmao
That's just ridiculous

kmfdmpig

If you like Montoya, check out 52 (the weekly series).

My favorite stuff between 1999 and 2011

JSA (still either John's best or second best run)
Infinite Crisis (best read with Identity Crisis, Omac Project, Superman Sacrifice, Crisis of Conscience)
Morrison, Waid, Kelley JLA
Secret Six
Geoff John's Green Lantern, Flash Runs
Tomasi's Black Adam & Green Lantern Corps

There's still a lot of stuff I haven't read from that era like checkmate & the bat books. Also didn't mention elseworld stuff like Red Son or All Star Superman, which are worth looking into.

These are good recommendations. A few additions I'd recommend would be:
Birds of Prey
Zatanna
Power Girl

Top Bottom