• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing PS5 Vs Series X size - New pics

I know it won't be an exact science but it will give a rough idea. I've already done it but I don't want to be attacked as an Xbot or called out for spreading FUD by doing a little cut and paste on my own.

Nothing wrong with doing that as it can be difficult to scale these types of things. But I was just pointing out that the OPs image isn't just a simple cut and paste job to compare the two. It had quite a bit of manipulation to make the differences seem greater than they appear.

Take this image for example.

PS5_XBOX_Comparison_v3.jpg

As you can see its a pretty honest comparison. Now while the scale might not be 100% correct at least the image wasn't manipulated to paint a different picture.

Like Oddvintagechap Oddvintagechap pointed out there's manipulation in this image.

eZggrPX.jpg

And it was pretty lazy one at that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You’ve posted a link to the road to PS5 talk, even though above you said that needed another update because it wasn’t clear. In the talk he specifically says that ps5 currently supports 100 titles working fine and that they hope to have thousands more ready for launch. He also stays that there is a possibility that future games can be enhanced but it will be on a game by game basis.

You can’t possibly think there are over a 100 ps4 games on PS5 that will be in 4k with enhancements just right out the gate...? That sort of work per game takes a LOT of manpower and testing.

edit: I’ll say it again. Games will be enhanced. You will get games that will maximise their dynamic resolution and will hit their frame rate caps. But even just upping a games resolution or upping its max frame rate will require weeks of game testing to make sure it doesn’t break the game. You can’t just flip a switch, it’s not that easy. Resolution is easy enough but not if it degrades performance. Frame rate is easy enough but not if gameplay or physics are tied to it. This isn’t some quick thing. You WILL get them, but the quote above essentially was “our top 100 titles atm work on ps5 hitting their top resolution and top frame rate as this requires zero effort to function as the game already was designed for this, however they have been tested working. Other games will continue to be added”.

No doubt further improvements are coming and will happen, of course, for their top titles. But to expect 100+ games, maybe even all 4000+ titles, to be enhanced at launch... wow, no.

Edit2: also let me just say you’re talking to somebody who not only knows games WILL be enhanced but also strongly believes Sony are waiting for their time to announce full PS1/2/3 BC as well. I’m not just saying this to be an arse, it’s just common sense.
The video was clear (100 games were tested in PS5 BC boost mode while the others 4000+ works in general PS4/Pro BC mode).
The PS.Blog received an update because they messed up.

The whole mistake on PS.Blog was because it give a different claim from what Cerny said in the video.

I have no ideia why a denbuked FUD keeps coming back lol

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with doing that as it can be difficult to scale these types of things. But I was just pointing out that the OPs image isn't just a simple cut and paste job to compare the two. It had quite a bit of manipulation to make the differences seem greater than they appear.

As you can see its a pretty honest comparison. Now while the scale might not be 100% correct at least the image wasn't manipulated to paint a different picture.
I agree this looks away more likely but it shows the PS5 as bigger than the image you pointed to as manipulation. And its all based off guesses of the size. We don't know. Like I said, using the controller seems like a easier starting point instead of guessing on the measurement and then crafting an image based on those guesses.

Like Oddvintagechap Oddvintagechap pointed out there's manipulation in this image.

eZggrPX.jpg
I think the "manipulation" at play here is that the artist did a quick (poor) attempt to create the PS5 in a digital environment. You can see because the fins at the top are much too long but also the "body" of the console near the fins is much too low. If anything, it makes the PS5 smaller because it reduced the "body" portion of the PS5 sandwiched in between the two fins.

It's an awful 3D artist attempt, I'll give you that. I don't know if I'd go straight to manipulation. It's a bad 3D artist trying to quickly get a model together and absolutely doing a horrible job at it. Their intentions we'll never know.

When I've got both sitting on my entertainment center, I'll know for sure. Will eagerly wait for a breakdown too to see the size but also the amazing tech inside that beast. Not too long now before next gen is current gen. Cheers!

Last edited:

Vognerful

That quote is about PS5 mode/clocks BC.

Some found confusion in the quote and Sony updated says majority of 4000 titles will works in PS4/Pro BC mode without any previous tests.

The tests are about the enhanced PS5 mode which they had done about 100 in early March.
Could you provide a source on or qoute that the 100 games are for ps5 mode?

Vognerful

The video was clear (100 games were tested in PS5 BC boost mode while the others 4000+ works in general PS4/Pro BC mode).
The PS.Blog received an update because they messed up.

The whole mistake on PS.Blog was because it give a different claim from what Cerny said in the video.

I have no ideia why a denbuked FUD keeps coming back lol

Can you write the transcript that says these games are in ps5 boost mode? Because after several trails, neither the video or the blog mention anything except that they will work on Ps5 backward compatibility.

UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Haha in this thread, we observe many people acting according to the intellectual capacity reflected by their own comments.

samporter

Banned
Haha in this thread, we observe many people acting according to the intellectual capacity reflected by their own comments.

There are actually some people arguing that the PS5 is not much bigger than the new Xbox. There are some who argues that the PS5's size and shape aren't a problem for people with small TV stands or living room space.

Vognerful

UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

Thanks for the help, it seems my eyes were skipping over the second paragraph as I thought it is part of original blog (not updated part) (y)

Vognerful

As long as I can play all my ps4 games, I’m happy to trade it in for a ps5
As the words of some cray fans here

“DuDe, WhY dO wAnT tO PlAy OlD gAmEs?!”

typing that was very painful. But yeah, some people don’t appreciate having the opportunity to play your own games or catching up on missed tressures.

Rikkori

As the words of some cray fans here

“DuDe, WhY dO wAnT tO PlAy OlD gAmEs?!”

typing that was very painful. But yeah, some people don’t appreciate having the opportunity to play your own games or catching up on missed tressures.

Indeed. Most of my game time is spent replaying old favourites (plus now it's fun to try them out with SSGI reshade). It's really crazy to me how this ended up being a contentious issue on console, as a PC gamer I just took it for granted.

It's good that Sony & Microsoft are both serious about back compat this time. No reason console players should be dependent on keeping old hardware around.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

eZggrPX.jpg

And it was pretty lazy one at that.
Is the real one on the left ? That looks bigger to me.

TMLT

I was under the impression PS5 would be smaller just from the design. XSEX looks like a big bulky thing in comparison. Not especially pleased to find out its actually the other way round.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

There are actually some people arguing that the PS5 is not much bigger than the new Xbox. There are some who argues that the PS5's size and shape aren't a problem for people with small TV stands or living room space.
The first sentence I agree is asinine, unless they want to talk about volume, which might end up being fairly close.

The second sentence is just stupid. How small is their living room? Are they hoarders? Even hoarders manage to pile huge amounts of junk in their tiny living spaces. The PS5 isn't big enough for it to be a concern of space. There's this amazing thing called the floor, where it can easily be placed if you're still using an old CRT that occupies the entire top surface of your cabinet, and if the cabinet is so tiny that it can't fit the console vertically or horizontally. These are people who'd never have been able to buy a home entertainment system, as the PS5 will be smaller than a receiver. So I wouldn't really be blaming the system, so much as the camera mount that's masquerading as a TV stand in their apartments.

There's hyperbole, and then there's the overreaction to the PS5's size. And even then, the simple answer to the situation is "shut up, and don't buy it." The design isn't going to change. No one who is going to buy it is going to care about what it looks like a week after it's connected to the TV. Anyone that owned a OG PS3 should be perfectly fine. No one's house collapsed under the immense heft of that behemoth, nor the OG Xbox (which I personally personally rank as one of the worst console designs ever). Anyone making the "not enough space" argument should be shown the exit of the thread, because they're either making shit up, or literally live in a shoe box. I've seen families of 5 living in a single room here in Asia, and even they would have space for a PS5.

Last edited:

samporter

Banned
The first sentence I agree is asinine, unless they want to talk about volume, which might end up being fairly close.

The second sentence is just stupid. How small is their living room? Are they hoarders? Even hoarders manage to pile huge amounts of junk in their tiny living spaces. The PS5 isn't big enough for it to be a concern of space. There's this amazing thing called the floor, where it can easily be placed if you're still using an old CRT that occupies the entire top surface of your cabinet, and if the cabinet is so tiny that it can't fit the console vertically or horizontally. These are people who'd never have been able to buy a home entertainment system, as the PS5 will be smaller than a receiver. So I wouldn't really be blaming the system, so much as the camera mount that's masquerading as a TV stand in their apartments.

There's hyperbole, and then there's the overreaction to the PS5's size. And even then, the simple answer to the situation is "shut up, and don't buy it." The design isn't going to change. No one who is going to buy it is going to care about what it looks like a week after it's connected to the TV. Anyone that owned a OG PS3 should be perfectly fine. No one's house collapsed under the immense heft of that behemoth, nor the OG Xbox (which I personally personally rank as one of the worst console designs ever). Anyone making the "not enough space" argument should be shown the exit of the thread, because they're either making shit up, or literally live in a shoe box. I've seen families of 5 living in a single room here in Asia, and even they would have space for a PS5.

Good for you for having a big house. There are people who don't have large tv stands or big living spaces. Most apartments in Asian countries are rather small. Who knows, maybe Sony isn't targeting the Asian market with the PS5?

t6z2MwX.jpg

This is a 40inch TV on an inexpensive stand. If the PS5 is around 14inches tall, it is going to be half as tall as the TV is.

dyergram

I mean it literally won’t fit in my tv stand so that’s a slight problem and I have a relatively large tv and living room. My gf literally said get the black one (the xb) when I showed her the comparison pic.

dyergram

Good for you for having a big house. There are people who don't have large tv stands or big living spaces. Most apartments in Asian countries are rather small. Who knows, maybe Sony isn't targeting the Asian market with the PS5?

t6z2MwX.jpg

This is a 40inch TV on an inexpensive stand. If the PS5 is around 14inches tall, it is going to be half as tall as the TV is.
Isn’t it believed to be 15”?

MastaKiiLA

t6z2MwX.jpg

You have a hude space in the middle to put it on its side, and it will fit next to the TV by the picture frame on the left, or whatever that is on the right. I live in SE Asia. Homes and rooms are small here, but there's plenty of room for a PS5. The complaints about size are idiotic, period. It's not a boat, it's a gadget, and it's in the general size range of most home entertainment gear from the last 30 years.

I mean it literally won’t fit in my tv stand so that’s a slight problem and I have a relatively large tv and living room. My gf literally said get the black one (the xb) when I showed her the comparison pic.
Your TV stand might be small then. Don't blame the console for that issue. Put it on the floor, or don't get it. How can me and my friends fit both a PS2, and N64 inside our tiny-ass dorm room that had a loft, a ratty couch, a desk, a mini fridge, and drawers for clothes, on top of a complete Onkyo HT set with receiver, CD changer, equalizer, 5.1 speaker system with massive fronts, and a old school 32in CRT? Oh, and a desktop computer too? And we packed 5-6 people in there all the time, for Goldeneye and Turok sessions, and still had room to sit down, drink beers and smoke bowls?

If we could do that with ease, then anyone complaining is just being silly. The PS4 will not be bigger than a PS2+N64 put together, and that's not even talking about the other stuff we crammed into that room. It was a single dorm room. Not even a house, a bleeping dorm room. Anyone familiar with dorm rooms in upstate NY knows what I'm talking about. The size concerns are simply console warrior nonsense. There's no reason for me to second-guess that, given what i've seen done with real-life floorspace concerns. If your room is smaller than our dorm rooms, then I can empathize, but I seriously seriously seriously doubt that.

ethomaz

Banned

t6z2MwX.jpg

I can fit not one but dozen of PS5 in that big rack without cover the TV from any angle.
You don't have space issues.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

t6z2MwX.jpg

You might be better off putting 2 concrete blocks under the legs of the white unit and you just might fit it in just under there. :messenger_winking:

JLB

Banned

I think you posted on the wrong thread.

t6z2MwX.jpg

Bend the PS5 knee.

kneel-before-zod.gif

ethomaz

Banned
A dozen you say?
"I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate".
How is dozen? I counted at least 12.

2 in horizontal in the niche part.
6 in vertical on left
4 in vertical on right

It is possible to put more 3 in front of the TV in horizontal... the TV support is higher enough to not be hide by it.

Damint 15 already... is that enough for dozen?

Last edited:
Top Bottom