• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing PS5 Vs Series X size - New pics

dyergram

Guess this beast is living behind my tv stand on the plus side the cupboard that houses my ps4 currently will become extra storage. I’m not buying another tv stand.

dyergram

qxmYcy4.jpg

nosseman

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Admit it, it was the other guy's use of X-Box like green in his information boxes that rattled your chain, wasn't it. Hence the use of a very Sony blue in your own post ;)
I made it at first with red color but I changed to be blue like PS.
I forget to remove the drop shadow effect from the last tree arrows so it looks blurry.

Md Ray

Yeah, when its off and your playing your Series X.
Why? There's no reason to believe PS5 will be as loud as the PS4 when Cerny openly acknowledged that they haven't always done the best job at cooling their consoles (i.e. keeping it cool as well as quiet). So I'm pretty confident that they've addressed this issue.

kuncol02

Banned
What about the width of the stand?

Speaking about stands - is it the same stand for vertical and horizontal?

How will the stand attach to the console when its horizontal? Is there slots in one of the sides or is the stand of som rubbery material and the curve perfectly fit the underside?

Definitively same stand. How it will fit? Who knows. Maybe screws, maybe magnets, or maybe PS5 actually have huge mounting point on one side?

nosseman

Definitively same stand. How it will fit? Who knows. Maybe screws, maybe magnets, or maybe PS5 actually have huge mounting point on one side?

I hope there is not two ugly slots on the side we haven't seen yet.

I mean - how would the stand for the Digital version even sit flush with the side when in horizontal mode?

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I hope there is not two ugly slots on the side we haven't seen yet.

I mean - how would the stand for the Digital version even sit flush with the side when in horizontal mode?

It's clearly visible on pictures, that it have same curve as side panel.

nosseman

It's clearly visible on pictures, that it have same curve as side panel.

The stand differs between the one with BluRay and the one without. The Digital stand almost look flat or curved the other way around.

kuncol02

Banned

The stand differs between the one with BluRay and the one without. The Digital stand almost look flat or curved the other way around.
It differs because they have different curve on bottom (or side depends on orientation)

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I gotta see someone holding this thing like they did with the PS4 announcement. It must weight a ton too.

At first I thought the look would grow on me...now I think I’ll just stand it up behind my tv out of sight

I thought the same thing but the more I see it, the uglier it is, especially when it's horizontal.

tryDEATH

Why? There's no reason to believe PS5 will be as loud as the PS4 when Cerny openly acknowledged that they haven't always done the best job at cooling their consoles (i.e. keeping it cool as well as quiet). So I'm pretty confident that they've addressed this issue.

The shape of the system doesn't doesn't look like a console that has maximized or prioritized air flow or cooling which is the biggest contributor to sound. This console was has a form over function design philosophy.

Less heat requires lower fan speed and lower fan speed mean less noise.

ethomaz

Banned
The shape of the system doesn't doesn't look like a console that has maximized or prioritized air flow or cooling which is the biggest contributor to sound. This console was has a form over function design philosophy.

Less heat requires lower fan speed and lower fan speed mean less noise.
The design is heavy based in air flow cooling... that is why it has these parts opened to the air flow travel.

prag16

Banned
It does have a sort of retro-futuristic art deco aesthetic to it that I don't think is ugly. But the question is what will the 30-40something dadgamers with angry wives think...
Yep, I posted this in the "what do you think of the design"... my wife will string me up if I try to put that fucking monstrosity next to the TV cabinet where the PS4 currently sits. If it was all black I could maybe MAYBE get away with it.. but the two tone design, no chance.

Batiman

Banned
Damn the ps5 is massive and ugly as fuck. Hopefully that means we won’t have a noise problem again though. Don’t care too much of how they look tbh

MarkMe2525

Sony's system looks like it's wasting alot of space and was designed by someone who played too many Portal games. The thing is bigger than the original fat PS3. I doubt the design has much to do with cooling, seeing as how we have laptops with better CPU/GPU power that are less than 1 inch in depth.

The design is just screams gaudy, waste of space, and impractical.
Those 1 inch laptops scream when pushed hard.

MarkMe2525

Stop with the backhanded insults regarding the looks of the console and deliberately fake screenshot of the side view of the PS5.

No official picture of the PS5 side was released yet. Plus that tweet was sent and tweeted towards Xbox Twitter accounts like TimDog.
I honestly thought the same thing and I think it's easy to come to the conclusion that the digital was designed first when looking at it. I mean it could be wrong but the drive looks tacked on.

MarkMe2525

It's photoshopped nonsense.... I guess it's more of the type of behavior we've come to expect from the xbox side...
Why is it Xbox side? Confirmation bias is real. Who knows who made that render or Photoshop.

Edit: Whoa.... Sorry for the triple post. I guess I got on a roll there. Gotta warrior on ya know :)

Last edited:

nosseman

Nah!

The PS5 is higher when horizontally. Its not flush against the surface - its elevated by the stand .

Notice the shadow.

The digital version does not seem much smaller on the height - it just have a bigger gap under the console.

I wonder how stable it will be. PS4 was a bit wobbly and this looks like its pretty big (wide) and the small is pretty small.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
We already know the PS4 Slim is 26.5cm, and we know the Series X is 30.1cm. Using what I figured was 40cm, a value that seems in line with what normal people think, we get this (for front facing at least):

HiFcD8j.jpg

(removed the other pics because I used the wrong fucking angle hahaha)

This NEXT shot however, is where things get interesting:

If we ASSUME the height of the PS5 is 40cm, and we ASSUME the length of the console is 30cm (Sit the fuck down, ET), then using the already known height of the Series X and PS4 Slim, we get... This...

IIPivuY.jpg

(added sizes for reference)

Now on first glance your eyes instantly go "Hold the fuck up, that's wrong, the sizes are different!" but... I assure you, that's actually correct. The reason it looks so different is that now, we have an added stand for the PS5 on the bottom, which adds another CM or so (Stand was scaled with the size of the PS5, so the main PS5 body is 40cm high, plus stand is about 1/1.2cm or so roughly). but even THEN, you have ANOTHER issue, in that the first picture I posted has fins, but only their thin front. In this shot, we have the full side of the fin, which adds more size.

(I can't do the side view, as there doesn't seem to be a shot of the PS5 from this angle either that I found? Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

cragarmi

We already know the PS4 Slim is 26.5cm, and we know the Series X is 30.1cm. Using what I figured was 40cm, a value that seems in line with what normal people think, we get this (for front facing at least):

HiFcD8j.jpg

(removed the other pics because I used the wrong fucking angle hahaha)

This NEXT shot however, is where things get interesting:

If we ASSUME the height of the PS5 is 40cm, and we ASSUME the length of the console is 30cm (Sit the fuck down, ET), then using the already known height of the Series X and PS4 Slim, we get... This...

IIPivuY.jpg

(added sizes for reference)

Now on first glance your eyes instantly go "Hold the fuck up, that's wrong, the sizes are different!" but... I assure you, that's actually correct. The reason it looks so different is that now, we have an added stand for the PS5 on the bottom, which adds another CM or so (Stand was scaled with the size of the PS5, so the main PS5 body is 40cm high, plus stand is about 1/1.2cm or so roughly). but even THEN, you have ANOTHER issue, in that the first picture I posted has fins, but only their thin front. In this shot, we have the full side of the fin, which adds more size.

(I can't do the side view, as there doesn't seem to be a shot of the PS5 from this angle either that I found? Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Dont know why you are assuming the depth is 30cm, from the pictures ive seen its about 1.5 x XSX not x2. So 20cm is likely more accurate. Either way its not half as bad as people are making it out to be. I expect we will get the full dimensions in a week or so.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Dont know why you are assuming the depth is 30cm, from the pictures ive seen its about 1.5 x XSX not x2. So 20cm is likely more accurate. Either way its not half as bad as people are making it out to be. I expect we will get the full dimensions in a week or so.

There are no shots of it dead side on. But take a look at my previous posts, and tell me what looks more accurate. Even at 20cm, the damn thing huge, and takes a bigger front print than any other console. Its a shame its white, would blend in a lot better without the white and the fins. Truth is, because of the angles the pics were took at, plus the strange curves, its hard to get a real accurate measurement.

You can't use the blu-ray drive either as the slots are different sizes and its not fair for either console.

I'm gonna go deeper here. Looking at the shape of the console from the weird angle the photos are taken at, and bearing in mind that any product is also shown to minimise their angles, its rather telling. Once you get over the shape of the console and map a box around its shape (Because those fins are not just ugly, but also deceiving in pictures), you can get another perspective on things.

Now I will let people decide. Once you project a rough rectangular cage around the shape of the console (And remember those fins being curves are bent make it look a shape that its really not), which does it look "closer" to? 20cm? 30cm? 35cm?

For me, personally, I can see it closer to 30cm, as 20cm is much too small. But I'll let you all decide.

yrET6k8.jpg

Last edited:

sinnergy

I know most of these measures are people guessing But damn the Series X looks really bad and cheap too.
I don’t care much, my consoles are placed behind my tv, I could even fit a PS5 if needed. I went almost all digital with OneX so I hardly use the drive.

Top Bottom