• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Megaman 9 is a WiiWare Exlcusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Shig said:
I brushed that argument aside because it's honestly pretty laughable to me. "Which console is best for retro games?" is not the prominent bullet point in the buying process of people who buy new consoles that you seem to be implying it is. People buy consoles based on the games that are currently on the shelves and being marketed at them, most aren't particularly cognizant of the retro/downloadable game library until they've already made their decision, if at all.

But even that I did not argue. What I meant is that, if you are serious about retrogaming (and you've got to be at least a bit serious about it and not entirely "hardcore who likes HD graphics" to even consider buying Megaman 9), your console of choice for that will be the Wii. Let alone the fact that, going by sales and their future impact on the number of games, PS360 owners are likely to get a Wii at one point or another (just as a majority of GC/XBox owners eventually got a PS2), the reverse, in most cases, is not true.

There's another thing that I hadn't mentioned before: take the 360. Console for hardcore gamers, blahblahblah (I think we can agree on that?). Of all the people who use XBox Live, are you sure the majority of them use it for anything else than Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, maybe GTA 4, demos and maybe 1 or 2 XBLA games? Are you sure that the idea that more people use online on the 360 than on the Wii alone (assuming that is true, which you don't seem to be sure about) proves that it is less logical to have the game exclusively for the Wii rather than on the 360? I am not.

Basically, I'm not sure all those lapsed gamers (yeah, I said it) and retro gamers were that interested in owning a PS360 versus a Wii. They might have bought them, but for other reasons. And you can bet than there are people for whom the Virtual Console and the promise of oldschool games was a deciding factor when they bought it.

Plus, although I agree that retro games isn't the deciding factor for everyone when they buy a console, it can become one afterwards. If, say, you own the Wii and another console (or both), you can think, for whatever reason, that it is best fitted for that kind of games, because hey, you already downloaded on those retro games, while you used your 360 to download demos HD arcade games for example.

And then, there could be people for whom, you know, Mega Man 9 is actually a killer app and would be willing to buy a $250 priced console for this and some other games.

@_leech_: your post doesn't even make any sense. To buy an online game, you only need an online shop, which the Wii has. Not mentioning the fact that the process of developing and releasing a game on Wiiware is less constraining and cheaper. Unless you're talking storage space, and how it affects consumer behaviour, in which case you can't be serious, because the number of people boycotting the service is negligible.

mollipen

TheKingsCrown said:
I agree with you! Let's bring Resident Evil 5 to Wii with dumbed down graphics. Moving from best selling to "different markets" is the same thing in this example.

Uhh, no. In the case of Mega Man 9, you can have the exact same game on all three platforms, and the only extra work for Capcom is just in getting the basics of the game up and running on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

In your example, RE5, you have to make significant changes to the game, far, far beyond just the basics. There is NO sense in Mega Man 9 not being on PS3 and 360; there is a lot of logical reasons for RE5 not being on the Wii.

Shig said:
There may be a lot more Wiis out there than PS3s or 360s, but I'm fairly certain a signifigantly lower percentage of Wii owners have actually taken their systems online. The total number of systems is not the proper number to be looking at here, people who have a system but haven't displayed any predeliction to go online (let alone purchase content there) are immaterial in regards to a game that's strictly available as a download.

Are VC/Wiiware games averaging more sales than XBLA ones? I'm skeptical.
Well here is what Vicarious Visions' CEO, Karthik Bala, said during an interview about Guitar Hero World Tour Wii:

Believe it or not, the number of active online GHIII Wii players is almost equal to Xbox 360. So, there's a really active Wii online community.

source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/883/883120p1.html

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Haunted One said:
You started gaming during the PS1 generation or after, right?

actually, no. ifrst game I played was duck hunt. you figure out what console that was for.

_leech_ said:
We're talking online services, Nintendo is the trailing platform.
In popularity? How would we know that? Going by raw numbers PC should be the leading plattform in that regard anyways.

Visualante said:
Nintendo need games for their service, just like Microsoft and Sony have been courting developers for timed exclusives or otherwise. Nintendo say to Capcom: what have you got? Capcom says Mega Man. Is it that hard to believe?

If it costs more than $10 I'll be a little offended. It would have to be really kickass to warrant me dropping $15.
So just that I got this right. Nintendo approaches Capcom, offers them a big bowl of money and take what they can get? Even if it's a franchise with little weight like you put it? Ehm, OK.

Deku

Banned
_leech_ said:

MM9 is not online! And WiiWare has the requisite features to make it a competitive platform for game downloads. Not having the extra bells and whistles does not make it any better or worse.

This is something you need to get your head around.

jarrod

Banned
_leech_ said:
Sorry, I seriously doubt there's less Wiis online than PS3s. 360 sure, no problem, but for how long?

Tristam

ruby_onix said:
Actually, no. The player really isn't at an advantage in the mockup, because those flamey guys target you and lob fireballs. Now you'd be under a double-assault. More power + More enemies = More action. Although after you took both enemies out it would slow down and you'd be able to take later enemies out one at a time as they come into range, just like before, but at an increased distance.

I think widescreen is just what Megaman needs to freshen things up a bit and make things a bit more modern without sacrificing anything that made the little 8-bit guy who he was. Yeah, it would shake things up, and you'd have to tweak some things like the three-shots-onscreen-at-one-time limit, but the introduction of the charge shot probably changed things just as much. And it just seems like a better thing to do with the excess resolution of even the Wii than simply throwing it away on a 2x filter.

And if you think about it, Megaman has always been about the distance attacks. After looking at the widescreen mockup, doesn't it seem cramped in the 4:3 screenshot? It almost seems pointless to give him a Buster instead of a Z-Saber in those tight conditions.

Of course, this is just me dreaming. But I want to convince people that it's a nice dream.

*shrug*
It's been a while since I've played Mega Man 2, but I remember those flames being tossed at Mega Man from offscreen before you even saw his assailant.

But I find your argument convincing enough anyway, so no worries.

Son of Godzilla said:
No. Classic games get around this just by adding a border. This being exclusive is stupid, but I doubt anyone actually believes it is.

Actually, haven't most/all WiiWare releases been exclusive? Not that hard to believe that a NES styled WiiWare game would be.

HUELEN10

Okay, I made a clarification to a post I made as I do not take credit from other's work.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11781360&postcount=248
MoxManiac said:
Isn't 720p a requirement for PSN/XBLA? That might be partially why.
Yeah, isn't this the case? I really thought this was the case, border or no border.
Son of Godzilla said:
This being exclusive is stupid, but I doubt anyone actually believes it is.
Capcom says it is only heading to WiiWare. What else SHOULD we believe at this stage?

jarrod

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
Actually, haven't most/all WiiWare releases been exclusive? Not that hard to believe that a NES styled WiiWare game would be.
True... some of the stuff like SSR or FFCC would work especially well on PS360 (or even PSP). After a brief push from XBLA late last year and this spring, it seems JP developers at large are shifting to WiiWare more.

Didn't MS cut the amount devs get from XBL content as well a few months back? I seem to recall a number of them being up in arms about that. If what I believe about MM9 is true (that it's is actually newly written NES code running on Nintendo's proprietary emulator and tweaked and optimized for running on that specific emulator) the added costs to get it publishable on XBLA (adding a border, creating an emulator to run the game and re-tweaking and optimizing the game to function properly on that emulator, etc.) might be more than they feel they could make off putting the game there. Likewise could be true for PSN.

jarrod

Banned
I think MM9 being WiiWare only has more to do with where it's coming from (Capcom Japan/inti-creates) rather than other factors. Capcom Japan has shown zero interest in XBLA or PSN, all the Capcom content for those platforms comes via Capcom USA productions and partnerships. If it's not a big budget multiplatform, high end, HD Framework project, Capcom Japan likely prefers it on Wii, WiiWare, PSP or DS.

Deku

Banned
jarrod said:
I think MM9 being WiiWare only has more to do with where it's coming from (Capcom Japan/inti-creates) rather than other factors. Capcom Japan has shown zero interest in XBLA or PSN, all the Capcom content for those platforms comes via Capcom USA productions and partnerships. If it's not a big budget multiplatform, high end, HD Framework project, Capcom Japan likely prefers it on Wii, WiiWare, PSP or DS.

Why wouldn't they? I ask this very simple question. Where's dead rising 2 without moneyhats. There is zero incentive to make one.

The elephant in the room is profitability and ROI for games and if you look at the whoring of Lost Planet, despite financial support from MS, it's clear those games did not make much if any money back, even with their decent sales -- on paper.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Deku said:
MM9 is not online!
The means to obtain it is.
Terrell said:
Yeah, LostWinds says hi. Oh, its upcoming exclusive sequel also says you fail.
Pretty sure Uno's up a couple million sales or so on Lostwinds.

He wasn't saying there's no worthwhile content for Nintendo's online, just that it has less users, or at least less users actively buying content.

jarrod said:
Sorry, I seriously doubt there's less Wiis online than PS3s. 360 sure, no problem, but for how long?

Well, I don't know about that to be honest. Sony and MS released numbers (though I don't remember what they are), has Nintendo?

Alex

Deku said:
Why wouldn't they? I ask this very simple question. Where's dead rising 2 without moneyhats. There is zero incentive to make one.

The elephant in the room is profitability and ROI for games and if you look at the whoring of Lost Planet, despite financial support from MS, it's clear those games did not make much if any money back, even with their decent sales -- on paper.

It's amazing just how much shit you try to make up topic to topic. You really don't think Dead Rising made money with 1.5 copies million sold? Really? No one would be fucking making PS3 or 360 games if the return was anywhere near that poor.

Terrell

Shig said:
The means to obtain it is.

Pretty sure Uno's up a couple million sales or so on Lostwinds.

He wasn't saying there's no worthwhile content for Nintendo's online, just that it has less users, or at least less users actively buying content.
I'm also pretty sure that the people buying Uno aren't going to buy a Mega Man game, as evidenced by any other XBLA game not matching Uno's sales in the slightest. Try again.

Deku

Banned
Alex said:
It's amazing just how much shit you try to make up topic to topic. You really don't think Dead Rising made money with 1.5 copies million sold? Really? No one would be fucking making PS3 or 360 games if the return was anywhere near that poor.

Which thread and where?

And as for your 2nd point, the argument isn't that no one can make money, but that it is much harder to do so.

This isn't an academic argument. There is a noticeable decline in number of games and types of games being made. We just had threads made this week about it, unless you want to claim those people are delusional.

If you disagree with this point, that's fine. But assertions about the market are made all the time, you can't just throw around the accusation people are making shit up only when you disagree with something.

If you want to police every claim made, by all means take it up with every other poster which makes a general statement about anything. I just spied several claims made on this thread which went unchallenged by you. Why would that be?

jarrod

Banned
Uno was also free for awhile.

_leech_ said:
Well, I don't know about that to be honest. Sony and MS released numbers (though I don't remember what they are), has Nintendo?
If only 25% of Nintendo's audience has taken their Wii online, it'll be greater than 50% of Sony's audience. Sony's figures reflected accounts too, not consoles.

Undubbed

It'd be great if they made it play like a modern 2D game, just with NES graphics. I'm talking more enemies on screen and way bigger levels and such. Though I highly doubt they'd do that.

HUELEN10

Undubbed said:
It'd be great if they made it play like a modern 2D game, just with NES graphics. I'm talking more enemies on screen and way bigger levels and such. Though I highly doubt they'd do that.
No offense, but then that would take away from everything they are aiming at with this.

Jokeropia

Nintendo has mentioned that in Japan, 40% of Wiis are online. I'd expect the number to be a bit higher in the West where there's a larger share of traditional gamers.

Meesh

I'm absolutely dead certain G4s Xplay news ticker stated MM9 was headed to all three consoles!!?? Really, I'm sure that's what I read...positive! So MM9 being a Wiiware excl. is kinda a surprise to me...

Terrell

Jokeropia said:
Nintendo has mentioned that in Japan, 40% of Wiis are online. I'd expect the number to be a bit higher in the West where there's a larger share of traditional gamers.
So basically, just so we're entirely clear, if this information is true, they have more Wii consoles online than there are PS3s sold in Japan. Isn't Japan where Mega Man has sold best for the past, I dunno, 7-10 years?
Hmmm... intriguing.

RagnarokX

HUELEN10 said:
No offense, but then that would take away from everything they are aiming at with this.
But you don't know what Capcom is aiming at with this either. It's clear that it has 8-bit style, but there's no telling how many nonNES tricks the game will have. We know of at least one nonNES trick, surely there are more.

MoxManiac

Lonewolf_92 said:
Didn't MS cut the amount devs get from XBL content as well a few months back? I seem to recall a number of them being up in arms about that. If what I believe about MM9 is true (that it's is actually newly written NES code running on Nintendo's proprietary emulator and tweaked and optimized for running on that specific emulator) the added costs to get it publishable on XBLA (adding a border, creating an emulator to run the game and re-tweaking and optimizing the game to function properly on that emulator, etc.) might be more than they feel they could make off putting the game there. Likewise could be true for PSN.

Is there somewhere you actually read about MM9 essentially being written as a NES game?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Terrell said:
So basically, just so we're entirely clear, if this information is true, they have more Wii consoles online than there are PS3s sold in Japan. Isn't Japan where Mega Man has sold best for the past, I dunno, 7-10 years?
Hmmm... intriguing.

Only the Battle Network series, not MM proper. Those suck eggs in sales in the east. And Star Force has put the series on a severe downward trend

RagnarokX said:
But you don't know what Capcom is aiming at with this either. It's clear that it has 8-bit style, but there's no telling how many nonNES tricks the game will have. We know of at least one nonNES trick, surely there are more.
Is it the rotation that was mentioned?

Terrell

HK-47 said:
Only the Battle Network series, not MM proper. Those suck eggs in sales in the east. And Star Force has put the series on a severe downward trend
From what I remember, recent traditional Mega Man games have been doing even more piss-poor in North America than Japan, as well. So the trend maybe evens itself out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Terrell said:
From what I remember, recent Mega Man games have been doing even more piss-poor in North America, as well. So the trend evens itself out.

The proper MMs sell more in the West than in Japan. And we have never cared for BN like Japan.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Evilink said:
I'm absolutely dead certain G4s Xplay news ticker stated MM9 was headed to all three consoles!!?? Really, I'm sure that's what I read...positive! So MM9 being a Wiiware excl. is kinda a surprise to me...
That ticker item led in with "According to Ars Technica..."

Don't trust any news until it's straight from the horse's mouth.

Ashodin

All I gotta say is that making a Mega Man NES style now should take what, only a month or two? Damn games should be easy to make nowadays.

MoxManiac said:
Is there somewhere you actually read about MM9 essentially being written as a NES game?

The various quotes from Inafune in Nintendo Power such as:

Inafune said:
The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!

Combined with the feeling I get from reading them makes me lean toward that conclusion. As far as I know, there is no solid evidence or word straight from Capcom that confirms or denies the idea.

Tenbatsu

Official name is something like Rockman 9: Revival of the Wild Ambition and it appears that there will be a black rockman other than the normal blue colour.

Tenbatsu said:
Official name is something like Rockman 9: Revival of the Wild Ambition and it appears that there will be a black rockman other than the normal blue colour.

You got any reliable sources for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom