• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: USA Gamestop PS3 pre-orders start today (10/10).

O-o glad you're thinking about me getting mugged LOL
Yeah that actually had accured to me, though I don't carry weapons so im not sure how to fend off attacker while holding a system and tons of games.

When I got my 360 form BB my car was at the back of the lot, and I really thought for a minute someone would come up and jack me for it before I made it to my car

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BobTheFork said:
O-o glad you're thinking about me getting mugged LOL
Yeah that actually had accured to me, though I don't carry weapons so im not sure how to fend off attacker while holding a system and tons of games.

When I got my 360 form BB my car was at the back of the lot, and I really thought for a minute someone would come up and jack me for it before I made it to my car

It's a PS3. It's huge, heavy, and impregnable.

****ing hit them in the head with it.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
congrats to everyone who got their pre-orders in! I was half hoping to see them do a 1st come 1st serve type thing with no pre-orders just for the great stories that would've resulted from all the madness. I'm sure we'll still get plenty of crazy launch day stories.

I always feel the launch fever for any new console, but I'm gonna sit this one out... for now :D I hope to get a 2nd revision PS3 down the road (bluray is a nice bonus) and I'll give Heavenly Sword, Untold Legends, DMC4, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma a twirl.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's a PS3. It's huge, heavy, and impregnable.

****ing hit them in the head with it.
As long as my ps3 still runs with a face dent in it, thats not a bad idea. I'll probly just bring a freind with me. If they protect me they can play ps3 mwahahaha

I'll do just like I did for PS2 and get one off ebay. All you have to do is wait about 2 months and you will see them selling on ebay for barely above retail price. My PS2 was $345 and came with Monster brand Svideo cables, 2 controllers, and three games. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big shipment come in at walmart or bestbuy just before christmas too.

Wollan

A guy has a 8000$ auction for PS3 up on Ebay now.
And he forgot to remove his name and phone number from receipt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3_W0QQitemZ120040904599QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: Bidding has ended.

2nd Edit:

A guy from ign (FlyingMonkeyCrap) messaged him:

I texted him saying : "man you're a dumbass, $8000 ps3 lol"

He responded : "man i wana ****** call me and disrespect me I will bust ur dorky gamer geek ass U Barkn up wrong tree ******* puppy"

:lol

mckmas8808 said:
****ing camping with a tint for pre-orders with only 15 hours notice? I said WOW!
ps3-sells-out-20061010003049189.jpg

I feel sorry for about 60% of that line. :(
ps3-sells-out-20061010003052830.jpg

Night crashers
ps3-sells-out-20061010010305837.jpg

632960755875173831.jpg

632960757832348805.jpg

PS3 pre-order, serious business!

nice!

and $8000 for a PS3 = **** U BITCHES!!!

Dot50Cal

Banned
Anyone notice that all the people selling these are getting their accounts removed? Also that TICKETMAN guy bid is BIN a bunch of PS3 auctions :D

Johnas

jjasper said:
Just got in to work. I showed up at mine at around 8:00 thinking the store opened, there was one person sitting in their car. So I stayed, damn store didn't open till 10 though. The store said they were getting 16 (about 10 in line) but didn't know how many of each they were getting so I went for the premium thinking there would be a better chance of something going wrong if I got the 20gb. So I am happy waited in line for 2 hours in 70 degree weather and was 2nd in line, instead of the alternative.

PS3(60gb)+Resistance+Oblivion=$110

What store did you end up using?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
YES!!!!!!!!!! i was FIRST in line awesome and man i knew i went too early arriving at 5:45am i just beat the 2nd in line by a min as he was walking right behind me to EB. by 9am there were about 20something in line. The guy in the store came out counted 14 and said all preorders are GONE. At the register some poor sap called and he clerk told him all preorders are GONE. Then he looked at me and smiled and said that felt good because people would call everyday about preordering and now he can say it is all over. :lol

davepoobond said:
has there ever been people camping out for a freakin pre-order?

Well, they've never actually had a huge release date for pre-orders before. Stores have always taken a bazillion preorders, so there was never a reason to camp out.

I'm sure there would have been people camping out for 360 and even Dreamcast if it was setup like this.

spengo

Not sure if this has been posted yet but gamestop.com has updated their pre-order page. They added a little bit of info for Canadians. You guys might want to keep your eyes on this page.

Due to high demand and limited quantities, our U.S. in-store pre-order for the PlayStation 3 has ended.

Information regarding the launch date of our Canadian in-store pre-order will be posted when available.

Online console pre-order information coming soon! Sign up now to receive our email alert, newsletters and special offers!

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ps3/ps3_signup.asp

Wollan said:
A guy from ign (FlyingMonkeyCrap) messaged him:
I texted him saying : "man you're a dumbass, $8000 ps3 lol"

He responded : "man i wana ****** call me and disrespect me I will bust ur dorky gamer geek ass U Barkn up wrong tree ******* puppy"

:lol

Memories...
picture3px3.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ponn01 said:
Screw that sign up for more info bullshit. I got no email on the preorder thing today. And I signed up with two different email addresses.

Two email addresses and I got one email to my most recent address at 12:05 this morning...when I had already made plans cause of GAF.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Two email addresses and I got one email to my most recent address at 12:05 this morning...when I had already made plans cause of GAF.
I had 2 address signed up and I STILL haven't got the e-mail. Most of the people in line said the same thing.

spengo

Ponn01 said:
Screw that sign up for more info bullshit. I got no email on the preorder thing today. And I signed up with two different email addresses.

That is why I said to keep an eye on that page. That page was updated with US in-store info last night. Also, some people were worried that Canada wasn't even going to get a chance to pre-order, this seems to almost confirm they will be taking them.

Polari

Pimpwerx said:
I kept a ****ing class in during my lunch break. Looks like I'll be waiting for Spring, and probably GTHD before I get a PS3. :( ****. PEACE.

Sounds like the kids got the last laugh. :lol

newsguy

The great part about being second in line is that I was the class clown. When we walked in I got a copy of NBA Live 2003 for the xbox and brought it for the counter. After the manager had asked me all of my info, took down my address, and made me sign my name as # 2 on the list, she asks "which version are you buying?" At that moment I show her the copy of Live and make a "what are you talking about" face and tell her I was in line for that game. The best part is she believed me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I signed up for "more info" and I didn't get an email either. Thank goodness for GAF.

I guess this is what EB had in mind when they set up that page:

EB: Sign up for more info on PS3 pre-orders
*customer signs up*
*weeks pass and customer gets the email*
EB: You asked to receive information about the PS3 pre-order campaign. Well the time has come and we have some exciting information that we would like to share with you. EB/Gamestops across the country began taking pre-orders for the PS3 this morning and you missed the boat. Better luck next time jack***. :lol :lol :lol

JB1981

newsguy said:
The great part about being second in line is that I was the class clown. When we walked in I got a copy of NBA Live 2003 for the xbox and brought it for the counter. After the manager had asked me all of my info, took down my address, and made me sign my name as # 2 on the list, she asks "which version are you buying?" At that moment I show her the copy of Live and make a "what are you talking about" face and tell her I was in line for that game. The best part is she believed me.

You such a jokester!

neojubei

Baron Aloha said:
I signed up for "more info" and I didn't get an email either. Thank goodness for GAF.

I guess this is what EB had in mind when they set up that page:

EB: Sign up for more info on PS3 pre-orders
*customer signs up*
*weeks pass and customer gets the email*
EB: You asked to receive information about the PS3 pre-order campaign. Well the time has come and we have some exciting information that we would like to share with you. EB/Gamestops across the country began taking pre-orders for the PS3 this morning and you missed the boat. Better luck next time jack***. :lol :lol :lol

yea i cannot believe the email went out on the same day as the preorders. if it was not for online message boards i would be SOL.

AniHawk

There were 9 people when I stopped by this morning at around 8:50. I wanted to snap a picture, but it was too sad.

I guess that by the time I left until 10:00, the line got HUGE.

All 16 systems reserved were the $600 SKU.

shuri

Banned
newsguy said:
i bet she totally jumped over the counter and asked to fill her up with baby food!

neojubei

AniHawk said:
There were 9 people when I stopped by this morning at around 8:50. I wanted to snap a picture, but it was too sad.

I guess that by the time I left until 10:00, the line got HUGE.

All 16 systems reserved were the $600 SKU.

same with me. I got there at 5:45am with another person. then a few people came about 1-2hrs later, i thought i was dumb to come so early but after i paid for my reservation and left the store, there was TONS on people.

Calidor

Gamestop Sold-Out worldwide:

Kotaaku said:
I just got off the phone with a GameStop spokesman who confirmed that as of 2 p.m. Mountain Time, the chain's 3,600 stores has sold out of every single one of their PS3 pre-orders. As of right now, he went on to say, the chain has no word on whether they will be getting anymore for launch day. So this could be it for their initial batch of consoles.

Each store had at least eight PS3's for preorder, with some getting as many as 16. And, he confirmed that only two units per a store could be sold to employees.

While they sell-out wasn't confirmed until 2 p.m., the spokesman told me it was a matter of minutes at most stores. He added that this was much faster than the sell-out rate of the Xbox 360. at the chain.

AniHawk

Calidor said:

Well there wasn't really any 360 "sell out" period. The morons in charge of that fiasco kept the SKU open without knowing what the shipments would be. So a lot of stores had upwards of 40 systems reserved and had only 12 in at launch.

I guess it varries per store but I suprised to see so much camping. I went to the biggest one in Denver at 530a and got first. When I got there, there was 1 other person in thier car and they didn't get out until I got to the door. He said he had been there since midnight and thought it was a lie since no one else had showed up yet. LOL The third person got there at 6a, the next two at 830a. Thats it! only 5 people. The clerk let us in around 845 and while He rang me up he got 5-6 phone calls... all the same
"yes...
yes still...
*looks at us* 5 people...
about 9 more...
If you get here...
no i can't do it by phone...
yes i'm sure...
I don'kt know, until they are gone"
LOL

I guess it really was a stealth attack by GS

Dante

AniHawk said:
Well there wasn't really any 360 "sell out" period. The morons in charge of that fiasco kept the SKU open without knowing what the shipments would be. So a lot of stores had upwards of 40 systems reserved and had only 12 in at launch.

A bunch of Bay area EB's cut off their 360 pre orders, I tried several times to pre-order at EB but they told me they had no more pre orders. Had to camp at Circuit City :(

STG!

tHoMNZ said:

Awesome. I was hoping to see some photoshops earlier in this thread.

Congrats to those who got their preorder in, seems like most of the early adopters who really wanted one were able to get it. I'm hoping after I get the Christmas bonus I'll be in the market for a PS3, if it's even available... :-(

M3wThr33

Banned
It's still surreal right now. I'm syncing my Treo, so I can post a few pics.
It's just so weird that I got home late about 10PM last night and suddenly here I am, 19 hours later, with a PS3 guaranteed.
I drove back between some gamestops about.. 5 times, also 1 trip to Jack in the Box for fries and 1 trip to Starbucks for Hot Cocoa.

Is it worth it? I don't know yet. I still haven't slept more than 2 hours at a time.
(AND I also completed a programming test for a job I'm applying for... man I hope I didn't do something stupid.)

I'm just REALLY glad I didn't stay at Crossroads, because that would have ruined my night.

Calidor said:

I just got off the phone with a GameStop spokesman who confirmed that as of 2 p.m. Mountain Time, the chain's 3,600 stores has sold out of every single one of their PS3 pre-orders. As of right now, he went on to say, the chain has no word on whether they will be getting anymore for launch day. So this could be it for their initial batch of consoles.

Each store had at least eight PS3's for preorder, with some getting as many as 16. And, he confirmed that only two units per a store could be sold to employees.

While they sell-out wasn't confirmed until 2 p.m., the spokesman told me it was a matter of minutes at most stores. He added that this was much faster than the sell-out rate of the Xbox 360. at the chain.

I've been told they purposely cut pre-orders short. 3,600 Gamestop's * assume average of 12/store is only 43,200 Playstation 3's. That's ~11% of the day 1 North America totals and GS has a market share of ~25-30% time of year depending.

Many EB/Gamestops got at least 20-25 360's on launch day and November's totals were barely 300k. Apparently, campers may be able to get some action at Gamestop as well, or perhaps a day afterwards to let pre-order folks get the first pass.

Also, there was essentially a guarantee that all preorders will be filled on Day 1 at this point.

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
I've been told they purposely cut pre-orders short. 3,600 Gamestop's * assume average of 12/store is only 43,200 Playstation 3's. That's ~11% of the day 1 North America totals and GS has a market share of ~25-30% time of year depending.

Many EB/Gamestops got at least 20-25 360's on launch day and November's totals were barely 300k. Apparently, campers may be able to get some action at Gamestop as well, or perhaps a day afterwards to let pre-order folks get the first pass.

Also, there was essentially a guarantee that all preorders will be filled on Day 1 at this point.

Most stores I knew were under the 20 mark for the 360. Very few had 20 that I knew of.

spengo

An interesting theory from another forum is that the three digit number at the top of your preorder slip is the Transaction # for that day.

For example..

If your number is -003 and you were the first to preorder a system that might mean that two employees preordered before you.

My number is -007 but the clerk told me I was the 3rd to preorder. He said they were getting 8 systems BUT, i found it odd that in his little pile of disclaimer slips(those things they staple to your receipt) there was only one left after I preordered mine. This might mean that I was indeed number 7 not 3.

Again, this may not be true but it is something interesting to think about. Also, any games or other items bought would throw the number off, but most transactions at the beginning of the day were probably mostly systems.

AniHawk

Are you people talking about the customer #? The customer # is just some randomly generated number for a quick lookup on that person's reservation list if necessary.

Dot50Cal

Banned
spengo said:
An interesting theory from another forum is that the three digit number at the top of your preorder slip is the Transaction # for that day.

For example..

If your number is -003 and you were the first to preorder a system that might mean that two employees preordered before you.

My number is -007 but the clerk told me I was the 3rd to preorder. He said they were getting 8 systems BUT, i found it odd that in his little pile of disclaimer slips(those things they staple to your receipt) there was only one left after I preordered mine. This might mean that I was indeed number 7 not 3.

Again, this may not be true but it is something interesting to think about.

Thats 100% right, I was the 6th dude in line, and my receipt says 007. Most likely the EB dude rang himself up a PS3 preorder.

Top Bottom