• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: USA Gamestop PS3 pre-orders start today (10/10).

sonycowboy said:
I've been told they purposely cut pre-orders short. 3,600 Gamestop's * assume average of 12/store is only 43,200 Playstation 3's. That's ~11% of the day 1 North America totals and GS has a market share of ~25-30% time of year depending.

Many EB/Gamestops got at least 20-25 360's on launch day and November's totals were barely 300k. Apparently, campers may be able to get some action at Gamestop as well, or perhaps a day afterwards to let pre-order folks get the first pass.

Also, there was essentially a guarantee that all preorders will be filled on Day 1 at this point.

There might not even be 400,000 units on launch day so kinda makes sense.

spengo

AniHawk said:
Are you people talking about the customer #? The customer # is just some randomly generated number for a quick lookup on that person's reservation list if necessary.

I don't know. Is the customer# a 3 digit number at the far right of the first line?

M3wThr33

Banned
Here's the group I was with.
It was one guy with 4 friends as shills. He's selling all 5 on eBay. I hope he chokes.
photo101006001uc4.jpg

Here's a view of the sunrise at the Redmond Town Center:
photo101006002jr7.jpg

And here's me, the tired man, wondering what the hell he's even doing with his life:
photo101006003iq3.jpg

Mine was 002 and I was first, so who knows.

About more units. I did here from a clerk, not the one at the counter, the one I talked to before hand, that there MIGHT be additional units. A few sentences later he said there would not be any lines or capming for launch day as that was what they wanted to avoid. I don't know what to make of that, but I'd focus on the first statement. They are playing it very safe, chanced are good there will be some extra units around GS come launch time

AniHawk

BobTheFork said:
Mine was 002 and I was first, so who knows.

About more units. I did here from a clerk, not the one at the counter, the one I talked to before hand, that there MIGHT be additional units. A few sentences later he said there would not be any lines or capming for launch day as that was what they wanted to avoid. I don't know what to make of that, but I'd focus on the first statement. They are playing it very safe, chanced are good there will be some extra units around GS come launch time

Sometimes the computers start on 002 instead of 001.

Dante

ManaByte said:
No joke. Some people were saying they were ringing them up as rain checks.

Don't know if it is true or not.

I just called my Best Buy she told me they are not doing pre-orders :(

ManaByte said:
No joke. Some people were saying they were ringing them up as rain checks.

Don't know if it is true or not.
well, When I camped at BB for the 360 launch, a few employees told me that there were actually 2 pre orders that had been taken, and put as rainchecks. This was because there was an ill informed employee was didn't know and was kind of dupped into doing it. The store put a stopp to it, but felt it HAD to honor the two that was given. So maybe tricking a BB employee is the answer.

spengo

AniHawk said:
That's the transaction number.

This very well might mean that the employees took 4 of the 8 then at my store. I can't complain really though because I got mine and didn't even have to wait in a line.

not me. If you wree told that it sound like they are saying if you dont pay for it on the 17th they will sell it to someone else, 24hrs later. I really doubt you have to pay it up BEFORE tha launch day when you get it. I will do that just to save ring up time : )

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
When I finally get my PS3.... probably in late 2008 after the first price drop, with a Greatest Hits copy of MGS4: Supersistance, l'll think back to this time and the hell all you people went through :lol

BocoDragon said:
When I finally get my PS3.... probably in late 2008 after the first price drop, with a Greatest Hits copy of MGS4: Supersistance, l'll think back to this time and the hell all you people went through :lol

yeah i tell you what, sitting in the warmth of a mall for an hour waiting for a store to open sure was hell. ill be thinking about you when i play my ps3 in a month

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
After I realized that I only have 1400 dollars in my bank account today, I'm thinking about canceling my preorder...

how much does a Slimline PS2 trade in for these days?

Dahbomb

truffleshuffle83 said:
yeah i tell you what, sitting in the warmth of a mall for an hour waiting for a store to open sure was hell. ill be thinking about you when i play my ps3 in a month
:lol :lol :lol

Kodiak said:
After I realized that I only have 1400 dollars in my bank account today, I'm thinking about canceling my preorder...

Well with a PS3 you can... *looks around at angry GAFers* nevermind...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm transaction # 004, which makes sense -- i was sixth in line, but the manager handed us tickets and we dispersed for a while before he actually took the preorders, and they weren't done in exact order. probably won't matter; seems like they've been very conservative with the number of orders they've taken.

Dante

Kodiak said:

If you live in the Bay Area I'll buy it off ya :D

jjasper

truffleshuffle83 said:

:lol :lol About how I feel, lets see I picked up a thing of coffee and a chick-fil-a chicken biscuit and sat out in 75 degree weather talking to people about videogames. God it was hell. Esp considering I was 2nd in line and I know I will have a PS3 on launch day without worries.

Kodiak said:

I have less than that but I do have a job.

deamentia

Hudson Hawk
a couple of co-workers and myself lined up around 8AM this morning at the EB Games in Woodside, California. It was pretty dead to our surprise so we lined up and hoped for the best.

From time to time I'd check the gaming forums on my cellphone to see how other gamers were doing with their preorders. Some stores only had 2 for reserve while others had 16-20! Around 9:45AM the manager opened up the doors and let the now bloated crowd of about 25 people into the store. One by one, we put the down the deposits on our PS3s. Me? I was #4 in line. Then it got to #6, a co-worker of mine from QA. He paid for his and just as customer #7 stepped up to the cashier, the manager proclaimed that it was all over! #8, one of our interns here at Hudson didn't look too happy. In fact, he was pretty pissed off. But I can only imagine the grief #7 went through. This guy was ready to pay and at "home plate" when he got denied. Ouch!

ps3_03.jpg

ps3_00.jpg

ps3_01.jpg

spengo said:
An interesting theory from another forum is that the three digit number at the top of your preorder slip is the Transaction # for that day.

Transaction as in all transactions, right? If somebody came in and bought a used copy of Duck Tales for NES, that would still count as a transaction?

My number is -019.

I walked in the store and got what the guy said was the 16th preorder at 10:49am.

Any word on Canadian EBs? (I noticed the title now specifies USA.) I've been traveling all day and the damn EB has had a busy phone line for the last 45 minutes.

I picked a handful of pages from this topic and used /find on them for "Canada", but I couldn't find anything.

Pimpwerx

I'm gonna try an online preorder, although that's a joke really. I hope Sony is selling some online as well. I got my PS2 from their online store. I'd like to get in on a game like Motorstorm early, especially for the online aspects. A game like Resistance too, will be better early on before everyone gets to psycho levels of skill in it. I'd rather be there from Day1. It would be my first launch system though. PEACE.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
the lowdown on the ebay thing

Here's the story with eBay. Sony has nothing to do with auctions being pulled. eBay is removing all the so-called "pre-sale auctions" because eBay rules stipulate that sellers may not list items which cannot be shipped within 30 days of the date of purchase or auction end date. Thus an auction with a Buy It Now will be in violation since if a buyer used that option today, the seller would not be able to ship within 30 days.

However, if the seller listed the PS3 in auction format only, and did a 10 day auction so it would end on Oct. 20th, then the auction would be allowed to stand since the seller would be able to ship within 30 days of the auction ending.

The only situation where Sony could have eBay pull the auctions is if an authorized dealer listed the PS3 on auction. Sony can control how its authorized dealers sell their products. However, the "first sale doctrine" protects sellers who have bought an item through a legitmate source. Thus, once a person buys a PS3 from a legitimate seller, e.g. EB, Best Buy, et al, that person may legally sell the item to anyone else at any price they can get. Neither Sony nor eBay can stop this.

One thing Sony can do is protect their copyright. That means if a seller on eBay uses Sony's photos or their exact descriptions, they can ask eBay to pull the auction. So when you list your PS3 on eBay, make sure the auction ends on or after Oct 17th, and that you don't use any of Sony's pics or descriptions and you'll be OK on eBay!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8627755&&#post8627755

deamentia said:
a couple of co-workers and myself lined up around 8AM this morning at the EB Games in Woodside, California. It was pretty dead to our surprise so we lined up and hoped for the best.

From time to time I'd check the gaming forums on my cellphone to see how other gamers were doing with their preorders. Some stores only had 2 for reserve while others had 16-20! Around 9:45AM the manager opened up the doors and let the now bloated crowd of about 25 people into the store. One by one, we put the down the deposits on our PS3s. Me? I was #4 in line. Then it got to #6, a co-worker of mine from QA. He paid for his and just as customer #7 stepped up to the cashier, the manager proclaimed that it was all over! #8, one of our interns here at Hudson didn't look too happy. In fact, he was pretty pissed off. But I can only imagine the grief #7 went through. This guy was ready to pay and at "home plate" when he got denied. Ouch!

ps3_03.jpg

ps3_00.jpg

ps3_01.jpg

I blame the internets...

I was trying to answer a question while in line today and I still dont have a great answer

What became of Sonys idea to tie each game into one and only one console?

terrene

Banned
Has anyone heard how much Lik-Sang is going to be marking up units? And if they're going to be US/NTSC systems? (And if not, if PS3 is really, for real, region-free?)

:/

So bummed. My launch PS2 is pretty battered at this point, I was hoping to play FFXII on a nice new system come November. I got denied by the nerdy campers at my Gamestop this morning who were ahead of me. :( (Hell, let's face it, they were all probably eBayers).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BobTheFork said:
I was trying to answer a question while in line today and I still dont have a great answer

What became of Sonys idea to tie each game into one and only one console?

<sigh> not this again. To my knowledge the story is, Sony secured a patent... people ran with it... that's it.

DarienA said:
<sigh> not this again. To my knowledge the story is, Sony secured a patent... people ran with it... that's it.
well I hadn;t heard in awhile. people ran with it? so its on? I just thought I would have heard more from GS when I preordered games. Maybe they wouldn't bring it up, but it seems like that would be a huge losse of revenue for them

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BobTheFork said:
well I hadn;t heard in awhile. people ran with it? so its on? I just thought I would have heard more from GS when I preordered games. Maybe they wouldn't bring it up, but it seems like that would be a huge losse of revenue for them

No people ran with it as in they decided that Sony secured this patent because they were definitely pursuing it.... whether or not they try it somewhere down the road some day the real answer is that company's secure patents they plan to use and not use all the time.

Somehow I think you are ok this generation.

DarienA said:
No people ran with it as in they decided that Sony secured this patent because they were definitely pursuing it.... whether or not they try it somewhere down the road some day the real answer is that company's secure patents they plan to use and not use all the time.

Somehow I think you are ok this generation.
Ah ok then : ). thank you

Dahbomb said:
I know I shouldn't be surprised in the very least but I still said "WOW" at that little report.

The PS3 is here to stay people...

OTOH with low preorder maximums why wouldn't they be filled up so quickly?

Around what time last year did TRU open up 360 preorders, assuming they did? Because that's my last chance as far as B+M goes.

Tarazet

I showed up at a little-used EB at 9:40, and there was nobody there. I thought I had scored big-time. Wrong - there had been a line at 7 am, and someone went above and beyond the call and duty to show up and take their pre-orders then. He had been turning people away all morning.

**** Sony. Hard.

Top Bottom