• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Conor McGregor caught some criticism following his first press conference Tuesday to hype up his upcoming fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. While Mayweather was dancing in front of him, McGregor yelled, "Dance for me, boy," which some viewed as a racist remark.

After that press conference, McGregor had a quick interview with Jimmy Kimmel's Guillermo in a segment that aired Wednesday night. In that piece, Guillermo asked Mayweather and McGregor the silly question of who would win a fight: them, or Rocky III?

The Irish fighter had to think for a moment as he recalled which movie it was. He then appeared to remember and said, "That was the one [with] the dancing monkeys in the gym."

If you've ever watched "Rocky III" then you know there are no dancing monkeys. In fact, if you've watch any of the Rocky movies you know at no point are there any dancing monkeys. So McGregor's comments caught some people off-guard.

Monkey has long been used as a racist term towards black people, and the fact McGregor used that word specifically is troublesome. He also said they were dancing, which likely refers to a boxer's footwork and is a common term for fighters.

McGregor has had some entertaining quips this week, but his controversial comments overshadow them.

https://youtu.be/2LnPWXdQZL4

Says it at 1:55.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Well I guess he deserves what's coming.

What's coming is total embarrassment.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He's just playing to a large part of the fanbase he will have rooting for him in this particular match.

Fergie

Banned
I'm sure he'll bring up that the Irish were oppressed as rebuttal.

It's not the first time he's made some insensitive remarks.

JettDash

But he's the great white hope fighting the villain Floyd Mayweather and therefore he's allowed to be racist as fuck?

Fuck. I'm not even surprised.

The "dance for me, boy" bit could have been anything and not intentional but the Kimmel bit sinks him.

darscot

I don't think he meant it as any way racist, the first thing I thought of is the band and the bubble machines. The nonsense in the gym before Rocky get his ass kicked.

HStallion

What scene is he talking about?

I am completely drawing a blank on Rocky 3. Was that the one with Drago or the one with Mr T?

Mr. T and there is a big part of the movie after Rocky's loss to Clubber Lang (Mr. T) that he decides to go and train with Apollo at a black boxing gym to learn how to move because black dudes are light on their feet or something.

Bronx-Man

Banned
All he had to do was keep his mouth shut for one month and he'd be going into the biggest fight in years as the good guy. Racist moron.

Viewt

Oh yeah, dude's a total racist. Look at this shit.

In Rio de Janeiro: "I own this town, I own Rio de Janeiro, so for him to say that he is the king and I am the joker, if this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback, and would kill anyone who wasn't fit to work, but we're in a new time, so I'll whoop his ass instead."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
anecdotally i've noticed this becoming a very white vs black fight with my peers.

with my black friends rooting for mayweather, and my white friends rooting for Mcgregor

HStallion

I only expect the rhetoric to ratchet up even more so as we get closer to the fight. Expect a lot worse to be said as things go on from fighters and fans alike.

Bronx-Man

Banned
On the bright side, dude is 100% getting demolished considering he could barely put up a fight against his damn sparring partner.

Top Bottom