• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

If they're doing this city after city on some kind of your, I'm assuming that the two have agreed that anything is on the table when it comes to banter.

Does it really matter if they agreed?

Why?

Man's out here calling Black people "dancing monkeys."

You gonna argue that somehow doesn't count because he (hypothetically) got permission from another Black man to go there?

You know you're a shitbag when you make me back Floyd Mayweather for the first time in my life.

And that's before I even knew about this crap.

Good ol marketing/stir the heel pot. I don't think he'll give us a big screw up, but "Dance for me boy" is something he should avoid or we'll have to rip his head off.

Mahonay

Banned
Who would have imagined a guy whose entire persona revolves around being a cocky prick, and has said plenty of questionable things before, might be racist. Shocking.

darscot

This is the scene you're talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvgw2lp7FHU

Where do you think he's pulling "Dancing Monkeys" from in that

Wha?

Yeah that was the scene his words put in my head. I'm from Canada and we don't have the same built in issues with racism. "Dancing monkey" doesn't register as a black thing to me. It makes me think of a bunch of useless hangers on. In hindsight I can see why it seems so racist but it didn't to me.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah that was the scene his words put in my head. I'm from Canada and we don't have the same built in issues with racism. "Dancing monkey" doesn't register as a black thing to me. It makes me think of a bunch of useless hangers on. In hindsight I can see why it seems so racist but it didn't do me.

Wow.

zelas

He didnt just call Mayweather a boy on tuesday. He followed up with the same line on Wednesday. People here have defended it as a "Europeans dont know the connotation" thing but he knows exactly what he is doing.

JettDash

How much money is this fight expected to earn? $100m? More?

Lol fuck capitalism

Way more than that.

I think that if people want to give their money to Floyd and Conor let them. They will both probably spend it all, putting money right back in the economy.

Yikes. It worked for Ali I guess. The ugly shit he said about Frazier basically ruined the guy.

Ali treated Frazier abhorrently, but that is mitigated by the fact Ali came at it from black man to black man in a time far worse than now for race relations, in a time where he viewed Frazier as the closest thing to the White Man's Hope and therefore his enemy in boxing and beyond.

Conor is different, he's just a Irishman that cops black culture and then has the audacity to speak the way he doe all for the sake of headlines.

Yeah that was the scene his words put in my head. I'm from Canada and we don't have the same built in issues with racism. "Dancing monkey" doesn't register as a black thing to me. It makes me think of a bunch of useless hangers on. In hindsight I can see why it seems so racist but it didn't to me.

Oh I guarantee you do. Might be a little more on the D/L, but it resonates for sure.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

It is racist. End of story.

Dali

The worse part is this fuck is gonna make crazy bank on this fight and we can't even hope he has his face re-arranged. It wouldn't be so bad hearing him say that shit and knowing even when he loses he's still going to get a huge payday if he was fighting someone that'd really fuck him up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ali treated Frazier abhorrently, but that is mitigated by the fact Ali came at it from black man to black man in a time far worse than now for race relations, in a time where he viewed Frazier as the closest thing to the White Man's Hope and therefore his enemy in boxing and beyond.

Conor is different, he's just a Irishman that cops black culture and then has the audacity to speak the way he doe all for the sake of headlines.

Man dont defend Ali over the shit he said to Fraiser. It's fucked up not only on a racial level but knowing the history between the two its even worse. Let's not forget Ali never really apologized for that shit either.

darscot

I don't think that's necessarily true.

We have issues of course but not at the same level. It's not so prevalent or historic, we don't have same imagery. I can totally understand why his words are offensive, I'm not trying to justify what he said. Just for me those words and images don't connect.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Despite video in OP, still wish he KO's Mayweather round 1. Which I know is extremely unlikely as it's a boxing fight, not an MMA fight.

No? There are and have been plenty of decent/good/great boxing champions.

I mean modern ones.

I don't keep up with the sport, but here's what I've seen from the big names within the past few years:

Mayweather - Reports of domestic violence
Pacquiao - Reports of bigotry
McGregor - Reports of racism

I'm sure this stuff doesn't represent the average boxer, but It ain't a good look for the sport.

Why is anyone surprised?

He said Diaz was a Mexican piece of shit, a cholo, or some other random crap like that.
He said Aldo was a little brazilian and in other times (i.e. the old days) he would go through the favelas, taking the women and the land

Among other shit. McGregor is a decent, overrated fighter. He is also a racist piece of shit. Nothing new here.

I'm just impressed by the fact that there's no racism in Canada. Wasn't there a story about a woman demanding her son be seen by a white doctor not too long ago?

Whoever tells you that Canada has no racism is at best an ignorant person who tries to sell the flawed vision that Canada is this great utopia with no racism and all equality. At worst they are racist themselves, either closet racists or all out racists. Anyone remember Justin Bieber's, "one less lonely nigger" that eventually got out? No racism my ass.

EDIT: Just off the top of my head and recent racism in Canada there was that Quebec thing with black people pushing the cart with white people sitting on them. That woman in Vancouver or Ontario (I think) that was talking all types of trash to chinese people in Chinatown, and the doctor thing you mentioned.

Weird, a few of my Canadian friends all who are black said it was racist as fuck. I guess they didn't get the memo that Canada doesn't really have racism.

So are you a race relations expert of other countries too?

huh

What are you mad at right now, Doc? What is it you're trying to do here?

Because I don't have to be "a race relations expert of other countries" to note that Canada has problems with race.

That's what the news is for.

You gonna grill the other people in this thread on their "race relations expert" bonafides or am I the only one getting a card pulled?

tookhster

Man, I've never NOT been able to pick a side in a fight before. These two scumbags are both terrible people, regardless of how well they fight. I honestly don't even wanna watch the fight because I hate them so much.

Let's be real here, they're both scum of the earth. One is a noted bigot with a slew of racist remarks under his belt and the other is a woman beater. If a third party could step into the ring and rock both of them, I'd personally pay the guy who does the job.

Forget the hype around this as an event fight, I wouldn't pay a cent to watch these two jerks duke it out.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The idea that this is just a work to pump up the fight makes this even worse to me. Cause that means they actively know it's wrong, and everything that entails, and thus are purposefully espousing really vile shit that does have a real world negative impact all for the sake of making more money on a fight they are already getting paid an ungodly amount of money for.

Top Bottom