• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copper |OT| BBC America's first original series from the creator of OZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
why doesn't the show inspire a lot of discussion? I'm about to start watching it and was just curious why that might be

Well, it's been a while since I really even thought about Copper, so my thoughts about it are a little rusty and scattered, but in general the show was pretty unremarkable and not super eventful. The characters and storylines aren't really good or interesting enough to really inspire discussion and dissection.

yencid

i think it isnt just this show though its a lot of the BBC america shows. I mean BBC america has some pretty good stuff on that i dont see being talked about at all. Orphan black is pretty great right now, Ripper street is also pretty good and i havent seen much talk about those.

Both ripper street and orphan black have been renewed for a second season, this one is starting its second one in june and i plan on watching it since i enjoyed the first season enough to keep watching.

the shows from bbc that seem to get the most discussion are sherlock and doctor who.

Decado

I quite liked this show. Ripper Street was too much of a procedural for me to get into it, so I quite after 4 eps or so. Too bad, 'cause the setting and production was awesome.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HTMZ7rP.jpg

Season 2 starts in a week. Who else is watching?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 2 starts tonight!

Home, Sweet Home

February 5, 1865. Five Points remains a bedlam. Young men are dying and disappearing at an alarming rate and a career criminal is terrorizing the Sixth Ward. With pressures from Tammany Hall raining down upon the police force, Detective Kevin Corcoran and the coppers of the Sixth Ward must follow the guidance of returned ward leader, General Brendan Donovan. Meanwhile, Doctor Matthew Freeman visits his mentor and is presented with an attractive offer that will cause a rift in his marriage. Uptown, Robert Morehouse and Elizabeth Haverford make plans for their wedding and Confederate spy Kennedy’s execution. In the tombs, Francis Maguire is set to learn his fate.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Heh, I think I already know the answer to this, but I might as well ask anyway: did anyone watch the season premiere?

The show seems a lot more confident this year, from the acting to the plotting, and I noticed that the city looked a lot more natural; it didn't look like a set with some poor cg thrown in. The storylines they have set up seem promising, so I'm hopeful that this season turns out better than the first.

Clevinger

I watched it. Mostly. Like last season, it was OK. The new dynamic between Corky and Maguire could be really interesting down the line.

But Donal Logue in this really bothers me. At times it sounds like he's doing a bad Scottish accent and at times it sounds sort of Irish. It's just awful. Who are these casting directors putting him in these period shows and giving him accents? Can't you find a good Irish actor? There's loads of em.

I don't think I'm going to watch it. The show's not good enough to make up for me cringing every time he's on screen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But Donal Logue in this really bothers me. At times it sounds like he's doing a bad Scottish accent and at times it sounds sort of Irish. It's just awful. Who are these casting directors putting him in these period shows and giving him accents? Can't you find a good Irish actor? There's loads of em.

I agree. I really like Donal Logue, but he has a very modern presence that feels out of place on a period show (even though Copper is filled with anachronistic characters and speech). It doesn't help that his Irish and/or Viking accents just aren't very good.

TheOddOne

Great season opener. What struck me was the cinematography, lighting and framing, a huge step up ― compared to the first season― in my opinion.

(A lot of pictures incoming)
Interesting story developments too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't quite know how to articulate how I feel about this show. It's just...bland. The most recent episode almost put me to sleep! It isn't engaging at all, nor is it exciting, and none of the characters have anything even remotely interesting going on in their lives. The over arching plot, if you can call it that, is so thin and simplistic that I'm questioning whether or not the writers even have a story to tell. Why does this show exist?

Clevinger

I don't quite know how to articulate how I feel about this show. It's just...bland. The most recent episode almost put me to sleep! It isn't engaging at all, nor is it exciting, and none of the characters have anything even remotely interesting going on in their lives. The over arching plot, if you can call it that, is so thin and simplistic that I'm questioning whether or not the writers even have a story to tell. Why does this show exist?

It sucks because this period of America is fascinating. Makes me appreciate Deadwood even more.

Snake

I am usually an extremely forgiving viewer, but the show is simply incompetent. That sex scene at the end of the latest episode was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen on TV in some time. Not at all because of the sex, but due to the editing/music/direction all failing the most basic of standards. It's like they had a handful of scenes that were filmed and they didn't notice that they had to air a new episode in five minutes, so they cobbled together something resembling an episode of television.

I thought season one was passable and it had some potential because I like the setting. Season 2 is just making me sad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's like they had a handful of scenes that were filmed and they didn't notice that they had to air a new episode in five minutes, so they cobbled together something resembling an episode of television.

I agree, though I thought episode 3 was pretty decent. Still not what it should/could be, but at least it didn't bore me to death like the last two episodes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So...that might have been the most enjoyable episode they've ever done. From the theatrical villain, to the shootout, the meat bomb, the lack of the two main sucky characters, and the surprise twist at the end, I-I was actually entertained from beginning to end! :O

Good job Copper! Now just do this every week and we'll be in business!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
is it worth watching?

Honestly? Not really.

Shit. I thought it was doing well? I like it much better than Ripper Street.

The ratings were down significantly from last year and it failed to build any buzz/hype/acclaim this season.

Ripper Street gets around the same ratings, but it's a co production (unlike Copper, which is all BBC America) with another channel, so BBCA can afford to keep it around with the low-ish ratings that it generates.

Eh, expected this. I'm a huge fan of Tom Fontana (by far my favorite showrunners along David Simon probably) but Copper just didn't work. I'm going to watch the season season anyway for Walker and Tergesen, but I was indeed surprised by the fact that it was renewed. I really need to watch Borgia though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's ironic that the season (series) finale focused so heavily on the Civil War aspect of the era when that's been pretty much the farthest thing from the show's focus during the its two season run.

Still, it ended with one of the series' strongest episodes, despite the cliffhanger at the end. I hope Tom Fontana can at least release his season 3 story ideas as, like, a novel or something because I really doubt that movie will ever happen.

choodi

Banned
So...that might have been the most enjoyable episode they've ever done. From the theatrical villain, to the shootout, the meat bomb, the lack of the two main sucky characters, and the surprise twist at the end, I-I was actually entertained from beginning to end! :O

Good job Copper! Now just do this every week and we'll be in business!

Really? I just marathoned season two and that was my least favourite episode. I felt the whole thing just resembled a really bad comic book.

Sad that it has been cancelled. I quite liked the concept and the execution (even though that was sometimes patchy).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Really? I just marathoned season two and that was my least favourite episode. I felt the whole thing just resembled a really bad comic book.

A really bad comic book is still vastly more entertaining than the bland mess of generic uninterestingness that was the rest of the series though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom