• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmos |OT| Host Neil deGrasse Tyson - Sundays at 9/8c on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

Man that first episode got me hooked. Makes me so sad that it will take such a long time before anything awesome is possible. I probably will never see it either but hey... VR is promising. I would love for the Oculus Rift to get a space exploration game/sim. Would be amazing if done right.

Tuck

Forgot to comment on the first episode:

Really enjoyed the first episode, but had a few concerns. I'm not sure how much i like the Imagination Spaceship - it seems very sci-fi and out of place. The first third of the show was also a bit weak. I felt like they didn't go into nearly enough detail on things, while also remaining quite basic - but it was only the intro episode so whatever.

Production values are great. Cosmic Calendar and the Carl Segan tribute were both fantastic. Neil was mostly good, but I felt like he over delivered some of his lines somewhat.

3phemeral

Colors are a bit off and there's a lot more dithering, but I tried clearing up the dancing gif so you can see him without relying on the camera flashes:

iU9NOL4vYq58U.gif

Bold One

Really enjoyed the first episode, but had a few concerns. I'm not sure how much i like the Imagination Spaceship - it seems very sci-fi and out of place. The first third of the show was also a bit weak. I felt like they didn't go into nearly enough detail on things, while also remaining quite basic - but it was only the intro episode so whatever.

Production values are great. Cosmic Calendar and the Carl Segan tribute were both fantastic. Neil was mostly good, but I felt like he over delivered some of his lines somewhat.

NDT did a really good job. There is clarity in his explanations whilst Carl had a more grandiose pie in the sky idealism.

People need to stop comparing the 2.

Scarecrow

How controversial was the chastising of religion in the original series? There were quite a few sections in that one if I remember correctly.

It is very Hollywood but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

One thing that irked me is the asteroid belt he flew through, as Neil himself has said before that an asteroid belt would be nothing like those which you see in the movies with rocks right on top of each other. I'll see if I can find the quote.

I want to buy a Comic Calendar or even if they made one in an app which was interactive and dynamic which you could display in a shitty Android tablet on the wall. Also, he always overdelivers some of his lines. :lol:

Tuck

NDT did a really good job. There is clarity in his explanations whilst Carl had a more grandiose pie in the sky idealism.

People need to stop comparing the 2.

I wasn't comparing them - I've never seen the original Cosmos, or much of Carl Segan at all really. I think NDT did a very good job too, don't get me wrong.

Chojin

So tonight will be

Some of the Things That Molecules Do

Should be interesting

Yesssssss Chemistry! My favorite subject.

Imma gonna cal it though, nothing will be cooler they do in this episode as when Carla threw the elements out and they "magically" landed on their repsective spots on the Periodic Table through the art of reversing film. I don't care how much CG they throw it it :p

LCfiner

Yesssssss Chemistry! My favorite subject.

Imma gonna cal it though, nothing will be cooler they do in this episode as when Carla threw the elements out and they "magically" landed on their repsective spots on the Periodic Table through the art of reversing film. I don't care how much CG they throw it it :p

this is the DNA and evolution episode and not the chemical elements episode. the episode where Sagan throws up all the elements is the same one where he says “if you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe” and it focuses on atoms.

so, just saying, don’t expect anything like the elements getting tossed in air move today.

If anything there could be some CGI cool stuff about the workings of cells and DNA and maybe (maybe) an homage to this famous little animation

2Xgz7Ef.gif

description of tonight’s episode

Host Neil deGrasse Tyson is on a voyage to explore the relatedness of all livings things and the possible evolution of life in the cosmos. Go on a journey to discover how artificial selection turned the wolf into canine breeds and how natural selection sculpted the complex human eye. Later, Tyson visits the grand Hall of Extinction, a monument to all the broken branches on the tree of life. Retrace the story of life on Earth and the unbroken thread that stretches from the first one-celled organisms to human life in the all-new "Some of the Things That Molecules Do" episode of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY airing Sunday, March 16

Chojin

this is the DNA and evolution episode and not the chemical elements episode. the episode where Sagan throws up all the elements is the same one where he says “if you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe” and it focuses on atoms.

so, just saying, don’t expect anything like the elements getting tossed in air move today.

If anything there could be some CGI cool stuff about the workings of cells and DNA and maybe (maybe) an homage to this famous little animation

Boo.

Ah well. Maybe we'll get a modern version of the cute little polymerases unzipping and duplicating dna with spare parts :)

Really psyched either way with the episode.

Edit: if they're getting into how Natural Selection sculpted the Human Eye, I really hope they go into parallel evolution as well. When you compare how mammal eyes and mollusk eyes evovled from very different mechanisms yet both being very similiar in structure (At least for Octopus eyes, things like the Nautilus have a more simple "pinhole camera" eye), it just makes you sit back and go "woah, thats rad."

Double Edit: Ooh ooh! It just hit me too, I hope they spend some time on the Cambrian Explosion and all kinds of wacky awesome shit as well like animals with fractal body designs.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Host Neil deGrasse Tyson is on a voyage to explore the relatedness of all livings things and the possible evolution of life in the cosmos. Go on a journey to discover how artificial selection turned the wolf into canine breeds and how natural selection sculpted the complex human eye. Later, Tyson visits the grand Hall of Extinction, a monument to all the broken branches on the tree of life. Retrace the story of life on Earth and the unbroken thread that stretches from the first one-celled organisms to human life in the all-new "Some of the Things That Molecules Do" episode of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY airing Sunday, March 16
Sounds like another fascinating show!

Air

Banned
Finally watched it. It was a little bombastic but I liked it. I don't think there is much of a point in comparing this to the original, so the only thing I'm keeping an eye out for is how well they talk about the ideas. So far I definitely think Neil is doing a good job staying neutral and presenting the facts so I am pleased with that. He's always been fairly tactful and I think he knows how important it is to make science palatable for the religious population. I also like the animation style, but I do think that it went on for a little too long.

That said I think the episode did a good job of setting the tone for the series.

I'm looking forward to watching this. I had two old women come to my door this week talking to me about God, and how important it is to be open minded. After a pleasant conversation I recommended that they watch Cosmos, in the spirit of being open minded. I hope they tune in.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Apparently not one fox station in the state of Colorado is showing this. On Nation Geographic Channel I can watch about Tuna...

Dishwalla

Banned
yeah NONE of the cable channels are showing it. I had no problems watching it live last week. Is it only showing on FOX affiliate stations now?

Yeah, it's only first run on Fox for the remainder of the series, Nat Geo runs it tomorrow night, and every Monday night after.

So my dad (a creationist at made me stop watching Animal Planet as a kid) is watching this. Will be interesting to see his reaction to this.

Crocodile

I'm liking a lot of what I'm hearing - addressing a lot of the major aspects of evolutionary theory and being clear to articulate important definitions. I hope they go into more depth of speciation mechanics and define "fitness" clearly for the lay man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom