• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court: Luc Besson's "Lockout" plagiarized John Carpenter's "Escape from New York".

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/french-filmmaker-besson-guilty-plagiarising-action-classic-141823009.html

Luc Besson has been ordered to pay John Carpenter half a million dollars for plagiarizing his classic 1981 movie "Escape from New York", court documents revealed Friday. Besson had denied that his 2012 film "Lockout" copied the cult futuristic thriller in which New York's Manhattan island is a giant prison that has been overrun by its inmates.

An appeals court in Paris ruled that "Lockout" had "massively borrowed key elements" of the earlier movie, according to a judgement put online Friday by BFMTV. A spokesman for Besson told AFP they were "very surprised by the ruling but the judges have spoken and we will accept their judgment."

Plagiarism cases in the movie business are notoriously difficult to prove, particularly as so many action and sci-fi films share similar tropes. Critics have long pointed to the uncanny parallels between the two films. Carpenter had demanded 2.2 million euros in damages ($2.4 million). Last year the court found in his favour and ordered Besson, his Europacorp production company and his co-writers to pay a total of 85,000 euros to Carpenter, his co-writer Nick Castle and StudioCanal, which holds the rights to "Escape from New York".

Besson appealed, with his spokesman telling AFP that the judgment was a "block on artistic freedom". His lawyers argued that "one of France's great talents of all time" would never intentionally stoop to plagiarism, and that "Escape from New York" itself owed much to the classic western "Rio Bravo" and "Mad Max", which had been shot two years previously. But the appeal court disagreed, increasing the damages more than five-fold to 450,000 euros.

Its judges said there was a long line of similarities between the films. But a spokesman for Besson and Europacorp said that "the judges did recognise that there were many differences between the films -- and that in their totality the movies were quite different. We think that is important, and the fact that the damages were a lot less than were demanded reflects that".

vzdZxbm.gif

I haven't seen either movie. Which one is better?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One movie has Kurt Russel in it, the other does not. That answers your question right there.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Lockout wears its influences heavily so this ruling isn't surprising.

I haven't heard of this Lockout movie. The trailer looks alot of fun. The premise is great, it's the Taken daughter got stuck in a prison, are you bad enough dude to save her?

Does it have the cabbie character in it?

Yeah, that was trending on French twitter yesterday.
I've never seen Lockout, is it really that close to Escape from New York?
Besson is a very lazy writer who writes incredibly basic stories but I don't know that he's a plagiarist. I assume Lockout has Guy Pearce save the president or somebody important from a prison?
Anyway, Besson might be a hack writer but I'm super excited for Valerian, I hope we see footage soon.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This ruling is ridiculous. Like seriously, really crazy. Its a different movie. Unless the dialog is the same for many scenes or something and i didnt realize it.

Yeah, that was trending on French twitter yesterday.
I've never seen Lockout, is it really that close to Escape from New York?
Besson is a very lazy writer who writes incredibly basic stories but I don't know that he's a plagiarist. I assume Lockout has Guy Pearce save the president or somebody important from a prison?
Anyway, Besson might be a hack writer but I'm super excited for Valerian, I hope we see footage soon.

He has to save the President's daughter from space prison, IIRC. It's pretty much the same story, but no moreso than, say, the first Fast and the Furious movie being the same as Point break, or any number of other basically identical movies. Doesn't really seem lawsuit-worthy.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I like this gif battle between those unforgettable Snake Plissken moments, and those I completely forgot Lockout five minutes after it ended moments.

Vic_Viper

Wonder if Kojima got permission to use the name and likeness for Snake in Metal gear. Especially having Plisken as his name in 2 lol.

This ruling is ridiculous. Like seriously, really crazy. Its a different movie. Unless the dialog is the same for many scenes or something and i didnt realize it.

If you had seen Lockout and Escape form New York it wouldnt seem so crazy. the two movies are basically the same accept one is set in a prison in Space and the other New York. Plots are near identical.

rakhir

Lockout, or Space Jail as it should be called, is a pretty fun B-movie. Guy Pearce is having a time of his life and rocks pretty much all the way through.

Koyuga

He has to save the President's daughter from space prison, IIRC. It's pretty much the same story, but no moreso than, say, the first Fast and the Furious movie being the same as Point break, or any number of other basically identical movies. Doesn't really seem lawsuit-worthy.

So when's Capcom gonna get their cut?

Are there any dialog lines that are the same? Ideas / concepts shouldn't be copyrightable, but the specifics of dialogue or even shot composition certainly are. That said, I think most people would see Lockout as at the very least a spiritual sequel to Escape from New York.

You sue for this and not Metal Gear? The fuck, man.

Metal Gear really has nothing in common with Escape from NY aside from the name Snake. Even Solid Snake himself is a very different character from Kurt Russel's, he's way too chatty for one. It's clearly just an homage. Not saying I agree with this ruling btw.

The result of this court decision is that I'm going to watch Lockout, sounds like a fun B movie and I love Guy Pearce. Besson wins again.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wonder if Kojima got permission to use the name and likeness for Snake in Metal gear. Especially having Plisken as his name in 2 lol.

If you had seen Lockout and Escape form New York it wouldnt seem so crazy. the two movies are basically the same accept one is set in a prison in Space and the other New York. Plots are near identical.

I had seen them both, and they are different movies. You cant legally own a concept.

Ferox

Neo Member

You sue for this and not Metal Gear? The fuck, man.

It's because Kojima's a nice guy.

Hollywood Reporter said:
CanalPlus has some problem with Luc Besson?

Yes! Oh, yes. He has another company. But I think they’re actually doing some business with him, too. [CanalPlus] wanted to also go after the video game Metal Gear Solid, which is kind of a rip-off of Escape From New York, too, but I told them not to do that. I know the director of those games, and he’s a nice guy, or at least he’s nice to me.

Cyan

Banned
Haven't seen Lockout, so may be off base here. But from reading the summary it sounds like the main similarity is: VIP (President/daughter) gets accidentally captured or trapped in a prison in an odd location (Manhattan/space) and has to be busted out by a badass dude (Snake/Snow). I dunno, that sounds like the main plotlines are indeed broadly similar but still seems weird to award damages for. A lot of movies that are X meets Y are about that similar to their inspirations. *shrug* Maybe I'm missing other places where they directly copied stuff, since I haven't seen it.

Also I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1JYDmo19to

platakul

Banned
That is a bullshit ruling. Sue Konami for MGS1 instead
(Lockout sucks tho)
e: I see the MGS issue has been addressed.
To elaborate I think you'd have to sue based on shot composition or something because there are a million movies with similar plots. Lockout is a bunch of garbage CGI and looks nothing like Escape

Cyan

Banned
It's not like he would have had a case to begin with.

The Terminator people would've had a case on the 100% obvious lifting in the first Metal Gear game's boxart, but yeah, I dunno about Escape from New York and MGS. Obviously Solid Snake's name is an homage.

sarcastor

The producers of die hard should sue half of the movies made since 1989 then.

Rescuing thepresidents daughter from a prison is hardly original.

All of Hollywood should be scared by that judgement. There are tons of movies every year that are more derivative than Lockout.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Having seen both movies I have no idea how this even has legs to stand on honestly.

Since can see all sorts of can of worms being opened up with people suing others all over the place for vague reasons...

When I saw Lockout years ago it pretty much screamed to me as like it was Escape From New York/LA but in space.

I guess it was too simliar for some.

I bet CanalPlus sent top men (Top. Men.) to terrorize Kojima. First, they caught him outside E3 and went all

3ozTDOf.gif

And the media was told bullshit of how Konami was behind his disappearance. Then they tied him up and beat the shit out of him before you see Carpenter getting a distress call from someone urgent. Meanwhile Luc Besson saw the movie and went all

wC9lT5S.gif

While all this is happening, Carpenter finds out of Luc Besson's plan and realized he has captured the wrong man. With CanalPlus not willing to negotiate Kojima's release, Carpenter sends the only man who he knows can finish the job. One by one, you see all the top men (Top. Men.) guarding the facility die, until finally the lone man reaches Kojima.

Out of the shadows appear Snake Pliskken himself. Kojima shits his pants and goes all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Un0FQmPBU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom